Parris Island recruit dies

Full story: Island Packet

A Parris Island recruit died Saturday morning while being taken to Naval Hospital Beaufort after participating in a strength test at the depot, according to Marine Corps officials.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of276
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Geo Martin

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2006

Judged:

I wonder why the Marines feel it so impotant to actually be cruel to their new recruits (whom the majority of are very young men)? They could prepare them to be men and soldiers in a more civilized, postitive manner. The other armed forces do it and in less boot camp time. Two deaths on Parris Island in a lilttle over a year is a disgrace not only to the Marines, but, to the USA. Shame on men (drill leaders) who get a thrill out of belittling young men so they can feel macho.
Amber

France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2006

Judged:

Well my fiancee just left for there and hes hasent been there for 2 weeks yet and if i find out he died im gonna go crazy people need to learn you cant be hard on young kids like thatits freaking stupid i dont even know anymore
slick willy

Rocky Mount, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2006

Judged:

I hate to be the one to bust the bubble here, but as a x marine myself, i knew what i was getting into when i got off the bus at old parris island, i feel bad for the recruits who die there it's horrible. The marines has a tradition of being hard asses and everybody knows it, most of the time these kids had a medical problem to begin with, don't put all the blame on the DI's ladys, take a look at the recruiter who put o'l boy through and the medical examiners who passed them. IE..my wifes cousin has full blown asthma and he's at PI right now. write your congressman and complain, it used to be a lot worse, if you think it's bad now.
diana

Portugal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2006

Judged:

i think is a medical mistake let someone pass
wiht medical problems some problems like hearth murm are not disaqualy like mitral regurgitation but
stenosis are
miguel

Portugal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2006

i think if they mabey check the recruit and listen him . this may don`t hapen
miguel

Portugal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2006

Judged:

i think is not human let supost a future marine
die with cardopnumie and not give to him medical cares and push her self to continu traning very seick.who wants to be a marines and listen these maby think not go because is danger.
i think congress have the job supervise the recruit an heath of recruiters because instrutores are inresponsibily
Cory

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2006

Judged:

Are you kidding...? I leave on Sunday for Parris Island... and one of the reasons I chose the Marine Corps over the army, navy, and air farce is because of the more rigorous training. If I go to a combat zone, I want the best training in the world, and that's what you get from the Corps... stop trashing the Marines because some kid couldn't hack it. They're the greatest warriors in the world, of course they're going to lose a few recruits every now and then.
miguel

Portugal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2006

Judged:

i am not say to the traning be less hard cory But psicology yes they not give medical cares to a kid who is sick that is shame ! why they not send the kids who are sick home i understand is elite force and lots of kids who go to marines dont traning
in home and not done sport in high scholl they only go to marines because college pay. i not trashing marines. in portugal who dont have phisicall conditions doesnt go.
Private robert dean

Strasburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2007

Judged:

Geo Martin wrote:
I wonder why the Marines feel it so impotant to actually be cruel to their new recruits (whom the majority of are very young men)? They could prepare them to be men and soldiers in a more civilized, postitive manner. The other armed forces do it and in less boot camp time. Two deaths on Parris Island in a lilttle over a year is a disgrace not only to the Marines, but, to the USA. Shame on men (drill leaders) who get a thrill out of belittling young men so they can feel macho.
The Marine corp. is not cruel i went to Parris island. it is the hardest thing i have ever done. War is cruel and the drill instructors for the most part want you to make it. They want to make you hard so that you will make it in war. that is why the Marine Corp. is the best over all fighting force that the united states has. War is what they are getting you ready for not to sit down and talk about how people feel. And it is far better for some to brake down on the island than to brake in battle and send many more young men hope in black bags. think of this next time you think that the marines are cruel
UT3 Huizar

Joplin, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2007

Judged:

the marine corps is the toughest, but not everyone in the marine corps is combat. I was on MCAS Iwakuni Japan for 6 months and all that was there was cooks, airdels, and headquarters pencil pushers. Ive seen more combat then they have and Im in the navy. Ive been to Iraq twice and the marines there think they are the bomb cause they are marines. Its ridiculous that everyone thinks all marines are hard. They arent, just because their boot camp is longer and tougher doesnt make them better. I have alot of respect for the marine corps as I served with them in iraq. But they are to conceited.
Name

Rutherfordton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2007

UT3 Huizar wrote:
the marine corps is the toughest, but not everyone in the marine corps is combat. I was on MCAS Iwakuni Japan for 6 months and all that was there was cooks, airdels, and headquarters pencil pushers. Ive seen more combat then they have and Im in the navy. Ive been to Iraq twice and the marines there think they are the bomb cause they are marines. Its ridiculous that everyone thinks all marines are hard. They arent, just because their boot camp is longer and tougher doesnt make them better. I have alot of respect for the marine corps as I served with them in iraq. But they are to conceited.
all Marines are trained to be ready for combat, which is why all Marines are trained to be riflemen at basic training. I'm sorry you love your branch of the military so much to be-little the Marines because you didn't have the nads to do it. I've been there, yeah its tough, but i don't think im all that. You stereotype them like people stereotype everyone being in the Navy and being gay.
Debra

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2007

My brother died at Parris Island in 1992. His body wasn't recovered for almost a year (10 months) and was so badly decomposed that there was no way to confirm cause of death. His body was found by a local fisherman on the banks of one of the rivers so his cause of death was simply put as drowning. My family has never had the closure of finding out what really happened to him and how he ended up dead in the river. He was a good recruit and loved the training he was getting. He was very fit and healthy without any physical handicaps. I even received a letter in the mail a few days after his disappearence stating that he was very excited about his upcoming graduation. I want to know what happened to my brother!!!!! But, sadly, I know that I never will.
Markus

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2007

Judged:

Parris Island is a joke anymore anyways. Drill instructors are dumb as hell for one, all they can say is daggon this and daggon that....I went to parris island and was discharged on a medical on training day 50 thank god because the dumbasses i went with, I would never be able to put my life in their hands. They let anyone and everyone in the marines. Half the dumbasses couldn't even read because they are strait out of the ghetto or they are hicks that don't know left from right. It's rediculous and anybody with a head on their shoulders could tell you that 95% of the recruits in parris island are dumbasses along with the daggon drill instructors.
Matt

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2007

Judged:

From the first comment to the last the subject has changed alot. Im in the marines right now stationed in Beaufort, SC, right down the road from P.I. I've been reading and all the ex-marines are rooting for the marines and everyone is downing them. For one, not everyone is dumb in bootcamp, i had a few "retards", but my D.I.'s were not dumb by anymeans, maybe "Markus" if you wouldn't of gotten your ass kicked out of bootcamp you would of had a different opinion on things. But about the medical conditions, the civilian public wouldn't believe how many people hide their physical ailments just so they can get in the military. If you haven't noticed, people joining the military for college money or a career, its the MILITARY, better yet the Marines, whose whole purpose in life is to be prepared for war, only purpose in life period. Don't join the fucking Marines to prove your someone or for college money, I joined because I feel I owe my country something, it has its flaws as do all, but its still the best country to be in. Im proudly serving, haven't been to Iraq yet, but thats because I have to wait in line, yes, hard to believe theres a list of people WANTING to go. Yeah it has its days full of bullshit, but everything does. Next time you can go bash president Bush openly in public and not get shot in the face for doing it, thank your local military for making that possible. And bootcamp now isnt made SOFTER if thats the word im looking for, but its made now to stop mishaps from happening, the lady whos brother died in 1992 in the river or swamp, its almost impossible to get that far away from your platoon to get that far, ur kept under VERY, and i mean VERY strict watch, not saying her brother did, but the only people that make it that far is people who attempt to run away. If any deaths happen in the marine corps, its not from being pushed to hard, its something else. PEACE
marine mom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2007

Judged:

It is very sad that people will continue to talk bad about ANY members of the US Military. My son joined for 1 reason: to allow you to speak your minds free of harm, in the best country anywhere!!! I hope that all branches do what ever is needed to protect and prepare these brave men and women for times of war. Face it they joined to fight, if they wanted college $$$ they should get a loan. They are not fighting with water guns and against people who want to be their friends. They need to be mentally as well as physically prepared. As for the statement that the Marines think they are better, well everyone has a place and need. Pride in what you do is not a bad thing. So the next time you want to complain about the military, maybe you need to thank them first that you can speak your view at all. Then move to China or Iran and view your opinion there and see how long it takes befor you wish wish a Marine was near.
I raised a Marine! It doesn't get better then that!!!
Keith

Jacksonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2007

I am a Marine and pertaining to the other branches of the military how they can do it in a shorter amount of time. Well take a look at the iraqi war totals, you'll find out that Marine's are very low in the tolls and the other branches are much higher, so maybe the toughness and discpline used in Marine Corps bootcamp is necessary and vital to survival in the battlefield.
Geo Martin wrote:
Old Marine66-68

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2007

Judged:

I would get all the facts first before blaming the Marine Corps for this young man's death. There are medical problems that sometimes go undetected during a pre-induction medical exam. Seems you're just using this young man's death as an excuse to bash the Marine Corps. You want a "kinder, gentler" Marine Corps? So did the Japanese during WWII; so did the Chinese and North Koreans during the Korean War; so did the North Vietnamese and Chinese during Vietnam; so do the Islamic Terrorists today. You think giving them a backrub & BJ ala Monica Lewinski will stop them from whacking your head off with a sword if they had a chance? Grow up, sir. Grow up. The Marines are the ones who lie in the mud during a rainstorm, willing to fight and die so people like you can ooze your political correctness ad nauseum. It's very unfortunate this young man died, most likely from an undetected medical problem. It's more unfortunate you took the opportunity to bash the very military that keeps your sorry ass safe.
Geo Martin wrote:
Sgt Smither

Stafford, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2007

Judged:

U R LOST AND HAVE OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO CLUE WHY WE ARE THE BEST RETARRRRDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!
Geo Martin wrote:
Brandi

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2007

Judged:

I went through boot camp at Parris Island and of course it's tough and physically demanding but we are the BEST. If you put us through 6-9 weeks of training and hold our hands the whole way, that isn't teaching us anything. The drill instructors are hard on us, yes, but they want us to be able to do stuff on our own when we get out of training.

It sucks that that kid died during the IST, but it's the THE FEW, THE PROUD for a reason- not everyone can hack it!
Carr

Pelham, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2007

Judged:

I heard that there were 5-6 recruits that died recently on Parris Island - is this true of just a falsehood?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of276
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Parris Island Discussions

Search the Parris Island Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Marijuana - Hilton Head Island, SC (Aug '10) Fri Sam 15
SC SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) Fri Bonnie Wheeler 1,118
The identity-theft case is among the worst unco... (Jul '08) Jul 9 tina d 8
Marines delay female fitness plan after half fail (Jan '14) Jul 9 Gay Marine 108
Baring witness to the beauty of nudist-free bea... Jun 25 Nudistfriendfinder 1
Demographer has reservations about NAACP's prop... Jun 23 X-TREME BIAS 2
Wedding next month Jun 15 Michelle 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Parris Island Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••