Blu-ray is victor; let the buying begin

Blu-ray is victor; let the buying begin

There are 13 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Feb 20, 2008, titled Blu-ray is victor; let the buying begin. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Buddy Schwartz can finally celebrate his birthday. The Parkville resident had been saving his money since August to buy a new high-definition DVD player, but he has been waiting to see which format would win ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Jeff

United States

#1 Feb 20, 2008
It's 'Blu-ray disc', not 'Blu-ray DVD'. The format was not approved by the DVD Forum and, therefore, cannot be called 'DVD'. Also, the article should have been more clear about upconverting. Stating that DVDs are upconverted to high-definition format indicates that they're actually made into high-definition, when that is not the case. You're still only dealing with a resolution of 720x480, while high-definition maxes at 1920x1080. Methinks The Sun needs to do a little more research.
kdogg36

Odenton, MD

#2 Feb 20, 2008
"Consumers could try taking them back to the store and say,'Gee, you sold me an obsolete piece of technology here. Is there anything you can do for me? Could you give me an exchange on a Blu-ray set?'" Murray said. "I don't know if that is going to go anywhere, but you could try."

---

In the interests of customer satisfaction, you're right, some stores might make such a gratuitous gesture. But you make it sound like folks who bought HD-DVD stuff have been somehow swindled and have a legitimate gripe against retailers. It seems clear to me that's not the case: everyone who bought either format before now must have known (or should have known) that they were taking such a gamble, and shouldn't expect anyone else to take the hit for it.
Vipper

Dallas, TX

#3 Feb 20, 2008
If you're upset about investing in a format that has been rendered near-obsolete (as long as eBay is around, nothing is truly obsolete), then you shouldn't be an early adopter. Heck, I bought into HD DVD (and Blu-ray) when the players were still at full price - $500; however, I accepted the risks so I could see as much in HD as possible. It's the nature of the game.
Bau Dachong

United States

#4 Feb 20, 2008
Jeff wrote:
It's 'Blu-ray disc', not 'Blu-ray DVD'. The format was not approved by the DVD Forum and, therefore, cannot be called 'DVD'. Also, the article should have been more clear about upconverting. Stating that DVDs are upconverted to high-definition format indicates that they're actually made into high-definition, when that is not the case. You're still only dealing with a resolution of 720x480, while high-definition maxes at 1920x1080. Methinks The Sun needs to do a little more research.
The Sun doing research?

Never happen.
Ron

Toney, AL

#5 Feb 20, 2008
Redraw the chart now with SD-DVDs combined. I think the biggest battle is yet to come. I bought an HD-DVD after comparing Bluray and HD-DVD picture quality, features (available now and not promised later) and disk capacity (I found out through information on the net even though Bluray had more capacity, neither format utilized space beyond the capacity of HD-DVD) so I also looked at that as a wash. I picked HD-DVD for the value of what it offered over the price of Bluray. After just being burned by Toshiba, I have decided that I will not buy into Bluray until it can proven beyond a doubt it will replace SD-DVD. Bluray has to prove itself now to the general public, not the techies and young kids with game machines and I think it will be a hard sell. The difference in picture quality between VHS and DVD was major and generally anyone could see that but that difference is much less between upscaled DVD and the current HD format discs. As far as downloading, I think it's a dream at this point. At least if the studios want to sell to their current market base. I have over 500 SD-DVDs along with a number of HD-DVDs. I live in a county with a pop of about 26,000. The largest town has a pop of about 5,000. The town is installing fiber to the homes in town but where I live, it's not even in their 10 year plan to get fiber to me. In my county alone where the potential market base is 26,000 will go down to 5,000. I'm sure that I am not alone in my position. On a good day my current download speed is between 3 and 5 Mbps with DSL. The only reason I can get this speed now is there are not a lot of people in my area that have internet with DSL, most are still Dialup. And there is also the possibility of networks limiting downloads or charging additional fees in the future as well.
Jeff

Dallas, TX

#6 Feb 20, 2008
I wholeheartedly agree about downloading being a dream, at least for high-definition material. Even now, cable and satellite providers don't have enough bandwidth to have a load of HD programming. Furthermore, what they do have is compressed out the ying-yang just so they can accommodate it. Both HD DVD and Blu-ray have a bitrate 300%(at least) higher than what we get from cable/satellite, and it's definitely a noticeable difference if you've watched them. If people are going to invest the money, they're definitely going to want the quality to match that money. Bandwidth is not unlimited and it's not free; I don't see that changing. Ever.

In addition to the above, a lot of people, myself included, like having physical media. You can take it with you anywhere you want, without having to worry about transferring anything. And don't even get me started on the Digital Rights Management that would no doubt accompany the whole download thing.
Bau Dachong

United States

#7 Feb 20, 2008
Ron wrote:
Redraw the chart now with SD-DVDs combined. I think the biggest battle is yet to come. I bought an HD-DVD after comparing Bluray and HD-DVD picture quality, features (available now and not promised later) and disk capacity (I found out through information on the net even though Bluray had more capacity, neither format utilized space beyond the capacity of HD-DVD) so I also looked at that as a wash. I picked HD-DVD for the value of what it offered over the price of Bluray. After just being burned by Toshiba, I have decided that I will not buy into Bluray until it can proven beyond a doubt it will replace SD-DVD. Bluray has to prove itself now to the general public, not the techies and young kids with game machines and I think it will be a hard sell. The difference in picture quality between VHS and DVD was major and generally anyone could see that but that difference is much less between upscaled DVD and the current HD format discs. As far as downloading, I think it's a dream at this point. At least if the studios want to sell to their current market base. I have over 500 SD-DVDs along with a number of HD-DVDs. I live in a county with a pop of about 26,000. The largest town has a pop of about 5,000. The town is installing fiber to the homes in town but where I live, it's not even in their 10 year plan to get fiber to me. In my county alone where the potential market base is 26,000 will go down to 5,000. I'm sure that I am not alone in my position. On a good day my current download speed is between 3 and 5 Mbps with DSL. The only reason I can get this speed now is there are not a lot of people in my area that have internet with DSL, most are still Dialup. And there is also the possibility of networks limiting downloads or charging additional fees in the future as well.
Thanks for telling us your life story.

Whats your point exactly? Are you trying to impress people because you own a lot of movies?
Ron

Toney, AL

#8 Feb 20, 2008
Bau Dachong, what's your point? I saw two of your posts and get nothing out of them other than your trying to downgrade other people and their opinions. It seems you were raised with no manners or respect for other people. Please read my post again and then maybe even you can grasp its content.
GXW

Towson, MD

#9 Feb 20, 2008
Ron wrote:
...On a good day my current download speed is between 3 and 5 Mbps with DSL. The only reason I can get this speed now is there are not a lot of people in my area that have internet with DSL, most are still Dialup. And there is also the possibility of networks limiting downloads or charging additional fees in the future as well.
Actually, you will always get between 3 and 5 Mb/sec no matter how many neighbors have it. Cable is (at least used to be) shared while DSL is fixed. The only thing that will slow you down is the web servers you are accessing.
Mike

Glen Arm, MD

#10 Feb 20, 2008
Sony sold 10.5 million Ps3's at least not 3.52 million as claimed by the Sun.

Proof: http://kotaku.com/357883/ps3-hits-105-million...

Wow ever heard about researching?

Mike

Glen Arm, MD

#11 Feb 20, 2008
This is not a good article.

Better article: http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/20/two-year...
Bau Dachong

United States

#12 Feb 20, 2008
Ron wrote:
Bau Dachong, what's your point? I saw two of your posts and get nothing out of them other than your trying to downgrade other people and their opinions. It seems you were raised with no manners or respect for other people. Please read my post again and then maybe even you can grasp its content.
Im not trying to "downgrade" anyone. Your comment was rambling and pointless. I added nothing to the discussion.
Jim

Bel Air, MD

#13 Dec 17, 2009
What time is it???

http://www.ravensnflstore.com/

GO Ravens!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parkville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dead cat on Allegheny Nov 7 Game Saint 1
noise pollution Oct '16 trixie 1
Why is Jody LeCornu's case not solved? Jenny Le... Sep '16 JennyLeCornuCarrieri 1
News Should Pit Bulls Be Banned in Towson? Readers R... (May '16) May '16 Fitus T Bluster 1
News Hundreds show support for housing bill in Balti... (Apr '16) Apr '16 Fitus T Bluster 1
Jolly Shows carnival returns to White Marsh Mal... (Apr '16) Apr '16 montydad5000 1
It's a Happy New Year for Truck Driver, who is ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Prayer 1

Parkville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Parkville Mortgages