Keep your hazard lights off while driving

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Q : Is it legal to drive with your hazard lights on in the rain? I was taught it was illegal, but there seems to be an increasing number of drivers who use them while driving in the rain.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of88
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
good driving

Port Saint Lucie, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2007

Judged:

now if only all your readers would learn not to use the hazard lights rain or shine-so annoying!
Ummmmm

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2007

Judged:

I'm still going to use mine if it is raining really hard.

Get over it.
Rodak

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2007

Judged:

I always assume someone is a "driving challenged" individual if I see them going down the road with hazard flashers so I try to get as far away from them as fast as possible.
Blah

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2007

Judged:

FHP suggests you pull over during a hard rain? Wake up! Nobody does that! The fact is if you and everybody else are driving in a hard rain, you'll spot emergency flashers way before you'll see regular taillights. For visibility reasons, I'm all for changing the law and making it ok to drive in a hard rain with emergency flashers.
The Big Fish Fry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2007

Judged:

Blah wrote:
FHP suggests you pull over during a hard rain? Wake up! Nobody does that! The fact is if you and everybody else are driving in a hard rain, you'll spot emergency flashers way before you'll see regular taillights. For visibility reasons, I'm all for changing the law and making it ok to drive in a hard rain with emergency flashers.
Thank you. Now I don't feel so stupid. If there is zero visibility I do pull over though.

My car is silver. Can't see it in the rain. I want people to see me.
Driver

Denham Springs, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2007

Judged:

Ummmmm wrote:
I'm still going to use mine if it is raining really hard.
Get over it.
You do understand that the turn signal (hazard lights) on many vehicles is the same as the brake lights, so when you are driving down the road with your hazard lights on and hit your brakes, you have no brake lights. You probably ask are the lights the same? Why not change that also? The primary reason is that we are all too lazy to personaly inspect our vehicles before we use them, when a turn signal bulb is out the flasher identifier in the vehicle notifies you. By using the same bulb, if you have a brake light out, your flasher will let you know.
Also the amber flashers on many foriegn made cars are blinding during the rain in the dark.
Please recondider following the law, you may be making youself a higher risk victim of getting in an accident.
Dimelo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2007

Judged:

Driver wrote:
<quoted text>
You do understand that the turn signal (hazard lights) on many vehicles is the same as the brake lights, so when you are driving down the road with your hazard lights on and hit your brakes, you have no brake lights. You probably ask are the lights the same? Why not change that also? The primary reason is that we are all too lazy to personaly inspect our vehicles before we use them, when a turn signal bulb is out the flasher identifier in the vehicle notifies you. By using the same bulb, if you have a brake light out, your flasher will let you know.
Also the amber flashers on many foriegn made cars are blinding during the rain in the dark.
Please recondider following the law, you may be making youself a higher risk victim of getting in an accident.
There are 3 brake lights on the back of cars now. The 3rd brake light in the middole or overhead in SUV's does not flash.

So again, how do the brake lights not work when your flashers are on?
Just Suggesting

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2007

Judged:

Sounds to me like the law has to be amended and the car manufacturers should come up with a hard rain driving lights. They came up with daylight driving lights, why not hard rain driving lights?
Driver

Denham Springs, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2007

Judged:

Dimelo wrote:
<quoted text>
There are 3 brake lights on the back of cars now. The 3rd brake light in the middole or overhead in SUV's does not flash.
So again, how do the brake lights not work when your flashers are on?
The third brake light is a recently added addition. It is not required on all vehicles by the DOT (Federal DOT), therefore the lights that leagaly must indicate an appliction of the brakes are the one that are at eye level. Volvo, Merecedes, and BMW (i believe) have a brighter solid light that comes on either by the driver or the application of the wipers. Perhaps we should all approach our congress person and ask them to support a bill that would require such a change, instead of braking a law that was written for a purpose and endangering others because "I don't care, I'll do what I want".
bubba

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2007

Judged:

in a blinding storm hazzards on is the way to go you morons, you idiots dont have enough rough condition road time to know the difference! clown's like you are the same clown's who think we need a law for everything! crawl back under the moron rock and stay there! idiots!
bubba

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2007

Judged:

Vinnie wrote:
<quoted text>
Amazing how stupid you people really are.......you must be either latino, black, or inbred....because you're an idiot
i bet your dad's also your uncle isn't he?
Vinnie

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2007

Judged:

bubba wrote:
<quoted text>can't wait to smack the back of your car see you crash and burn and launch off a high embankment and burn all the way down! because you were a moron that would'nt use his flashers he thought it was stupid!
If you are to old and blind to drive in the rain....than get off the freaking road! It's the law scumbag

Since: Jun 07

NY born and raised

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2007

Judged:

I use my hazards when I'm talking on my pnone and stearing with my knee, I think that alright...
Driver

Denham Springs, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2007

Judged:

bubba wrote:
in a blinding storm hazzards on is the way to go you morons, you idiots dont have enough rough condition road time to know the difference! clown's like you are the same clown's who think we need a law for everything! crawl back under the moron rock and stay there! idiots!
THE NAME SAYS IT ALL! No need to comment further.
Don Smith

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

Judged:

Sodomy is wrong. People doing sodomy while driving should use hazards lights.
Driver

Denham Springs, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

Judged:

Don Smith wrote:
Sodomy is wrong. People doing sodomy while driving should use hazards lights.
Well..... Now that really is a HAZARD!!
Sphanyx

Silver Spring, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2007

Judged:

As a native Floridian who learned to drive in the Sunshine State, I am inclined to favor the position described in the answer above, and it irritates me to see someone cruising down the road with their hazard lights flashing away in violation of Florida law. However, things are not as black and white as that answer makes it seem: you can drive with your hazard lights flashing if it you are part of a funeral procession. I can think of some other situations where it might be a good idea to permit flashing hazard lights while in motion, but Florida does not allow it (ex. following slowly behind a farm tractor on a public highway).

Out of curiosity, I looked into the position of other jurisdictions on this, and I was interested to learn that Florida is in the minority on this hazard light issue. Many other states (ex. New York, Maryland) allow a driver to turn on hazard lights whenever they perceive it is necessary to warn other vehicles of the presence of a traffic hazard. This seems a little broad to me. Of course, it is Florida's constitutional right as a sovereign state to be different than other states if it wants to.

Regardless, I think the best approach on this issue may be one similar to Virginia's. They allow you to drive with your hazard lights on when slowed at the scene of a traffic hazard to below 30 MPH or when traveling as part of a funeral procession. If you can see well enough through a Florida thunderstorm to drive faster than 30 MPH, you donít need to be flashing your hazard lights.
Velma

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2007

bubba wrote:
<quoted text>i bet your dad's also your uncle isn't he?
With a name like Vinnie, no.
With a name like Bubba, probably yes.
Page Two

Dania, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2007

Judged:

This is why America is so messed up. Too many stupid people get to pick and choose which laws they want to follow, and expect the rest of us to "deal with it." People so stupid to use their flashers in a heavy downpour should only get 1/5 of a vote. Put it right at the top of the ballot, "Do you thik you should use your hazard lights while moving down a highway in a rainstorm?" If they choose yes, then their vote counts 1/5.(That's 20%, or 5 of THEIR votes equal ONE of mine)
West Palm Beach

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2007

Judged:

I use my lights when it is raining very hard. For information sake. There are many roads in florida that do not included a safe area to pull of the road. The rain in florida falls heavy and makes visibility very difficult. I drive much slower in the rain, as should everyone!(Like all you big SUV owners who driving at 70 miles an hour in the rain splashing every car on the road, that is not safe) I drive a VW Beetle. It sits low to the ground. Most cars approaching my vehicle from behind won't see my lights until they are on my ass. So I will drive with my emergency lights on for all the careless drivers out there who forget about the other lives on the road.

(Vinnie you are arrogant! Get over yourself! Check your family tree again. We are all mixed. If you forgot... The indians were here first, hence the concept of procreation. Maybe your family is special and kept it within the family. This would explain your stupidity. Keep in mind that you live too close the Mexican board to not be affected by "other". Look around...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of88
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Parkland Discussions

Search the Parkland Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Review: Dixie Cycle (Jun '09) Thu Coop From Dixie Cycle 7
Review: United Wine Inc Jul 8 Rebecca 1
Debate: Health Care - Coral Springs, FL (Oct '12) Jul 8 Frank M Jerry 38
What's the Real Deal with Coral Springs? (Mar '10) Jul 8 Frank M Jerry 433
Review: Pompano Fitness (Oct '09) Jul 8 Broken2014 75
Financial friendship turns sour (Aug '07) Jul 6 For the People 100
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) Jul 4 the protected species 2,911
•••
•••
•••
•••

Parkland Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Parkland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••