Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad...

Full story: SouthFlorida.com

The city's portal to the beach is slated to be revamped as part of a beautification project.

Comments (Page 2,110)

Showing posts 42,181 - 42,200 of42,338
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
buy what back

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Change Cost wrote:
<quoted text>All the changes to the building made going from a retail to a bar/restaurant. Very expensive. All up to code.
It sure is expensive but the brothers will get it for free if the new owner defaults on his lease.
Stupid Is

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Gordian wrote:
<quoted text>
This touches on the complicated issue of what sort of control should local government have regarding the wishes of the business and of the residents.
Its been said before that if the business obtain what they want it comes at the expense of the quality of life of the residents and the reverse of that is also true. I think that is right.
What also seems apparent is when outside business get invoked as they are, they do what is best for them at both the local residents and businesses expense.
The town is topped out as you say, so something has to give. Now some may say then go up. I can see that working if we could improve the infrastructure along the way to compensate for the added traffic and the congestion it brings with it. But that is not possible unless we widen A1A. That appears far fetched as A1A is now designated a scenic road, so what is - is.
So it would seem reasonable to me the best we can do is maintain healthy balance between the businesses and the residents.
What is being done on commercial will and has already placed us out of balance. Less parking downtown will equate to more traffic and more congestion resulting in a negative impact for both residents and businesses. Ask yourself do the contractors make more money on parking spaces or from building plazas?
The Key people who put this plan together, presented to the commission and town, do not live here and will just move on to the next project when done.
They do what they do without any long term planning. The come, we give them money and they leave us with a nicer looking place that ends up dysfunctional.
Again, a big lesson should have been learned from the River Walk mistake.
What I find the most upsetting is its not that hard to do research on works and what doesn't. Nothing we are doing is new. Its all been done before. So a very high probability is known of the likely results.
I'd like to believe we are smarter then this, but hats off to the sellers of what is being done. They did a brilliant job on our commission. One thing is for sure - they will make out well.
So is all lost? No, the mistakes will be know soon enough and we will end up spending a great deal of money fixing it as best we can. At lease I hope this happens.
Your calling us stupid. Your saying the voters changed up the commission who turned around and hired a new TM and directed her to take our saved funds collected though the years and instead of reducing our taxes told her to spent it on projects to beautify the town and that is wrong?
If this is true then you are also saying the commission made a decision they were voted in to do. The majority of public speakers during the commission meeting do not agree with you as most like what is going on.
Then you could make a case most residents don't understand what is going on and are stupid.
So whats missing?
Don't see any more local papers on my door step. I read this but dont know what to believe.
Need the info. The true info and thats whats missing.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Judged:

Stupid Is wrote:
<quoted text>Your calling us stupid. Your saying the voters changed up the commission who turned around and hired a new TM and directed her to take our saved funds collected though the years and instead of reducing our taxes told her to spent it on projects to beautify the town and that is wrong?
If this is true then you are also saying the commission made a decision they were voted in to do. The majority of public speakers during the commission meeting do not agree with you as most like what is going on.
Then you could make a case most residents don't understand what is going on and are stupid.
So whats missing?
Don't see any more local papers on my door step. I read this but dont know what to believe.
Need the info. The true info and thats whats missing.
Beautification is one thing, and it is in the eye of beholder.

However, what about the traffic disruption? The idea behind beautification is to increase "traffic" as in more people will find our town beautiful and they will come here. However, what we do not want is an increase in traffic as in an increase in a traffic jam. That would actually keep people from coming to our town if we have a traffic jam. People are talking about the importance of pedestrians walking on West Commercial but what about the importance of people driving in and into our town?

From this hotelier's perspective it is at least as important that my guests are not stuck in a traffic jam as it is for them to be able to walk to businesses on West Commercial from the beach. And if they do not come at all because of the traffic jam, which appears to be actually due to people coming back from work just driving through LBTS, then they will not walk on Commercial anyhow because they will not be here.

I am not saying that this project should divide us further. But when you are trying to stimulate businesses on Commercial by causing a traffic jam on A-1-A then you are de-stimulating businesses on A1A.

I do not mind change. I would just like a change for the better in aggregate at least.
Calling Marc

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

Judged:

We need your paper to tell us what is going on behind the scenes.
Just a by stander

Columbiana, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2013

Go to archives may25 2006 meeting under old business b and read about the round a bouts
Roundabout on A1A

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

"In Fort Lauderdale, state and city planners are considering retooling a section of A1A between Flamingo Avenue and Oakland Park Boulevard to enhance the bike lanes recently created after traffic lanes were reduced. Those plans could include larger sidewalks and a roundabout at A1A and Flamingo, near the city's border with Lauderdale-by-the-Sea.

The A1A greenway would create four-foot bike lanes separated from vehicle lanes with a two-foot buffer."

This right at the not so nice southern entrance to town.
Browns item

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Roundabout on A1A wrote:
"In Fort Lauderdale, state and city planners are considering retooling a section of A1A between Flamingo Avenue and Oakland Park Boulevard to enhance the bike lanes recently created after traffic lanes were reduced. Those plans could include larger sidewalks and a roundabout at A1A and Flamingo, near the city's border with Lauderdale-by-the-Sea.
The A1A greenway would create four-foot bike lanes separated from vehicle lanes with a two-foot buffer."
This right at the not so nice southern entrance to town.
Commissioner Brown is pushing for this at the County..and also trying to get improvements on elmar funded by them at the same time..but will the county redirect traffic onto elmar as a stipulation? Everyone better pay attention
Roundabout on A1A

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Browns item wrote:
<quoted text>
Commissioner Brown is pushing for this at the County..and also trying to get improvements on elmar funded by them at the same time..but will the county redirect traffic onto elmar as a stipulation? Everyone better pay attention
Nothing he can do, we are a small community and the big boys come first. He can only vote if the bigger communities do not show up. Pushing is overstating it by 1K miles.
Better Yet

Hialeah, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

Judged:

Just a by stander wrote:
Go to archives may25 2006 meeting under old business b and read about the round a bouts
Since Piersante seems to have nothing better to do, he could just stand in the middle of the road on SeaGrape giving drivers that all familiar stare. That should cure traffic woes!
A Success

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

Judged:

Looks like the Farmers Market is a success. Let's see which business will be the first to complain. And to better yet your face would stop traffic!
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

Judged:

A Success wrote:
Looks like the Farmers Market is a success. Let's see which business will be the first to complain. And to better yet your face would stop traffic!
Businesses do not need to complain. Our Chamber of Commerce has our back you know.
Sister Cities

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2013

Judged:

A group of clowns trying to revive something for their own benefit .How many of the names you heard on that list live In town. Once you hear the names Geesey ( new resident of Sebastian) Beverly Kennedy would put her name on anything just to hear her name,Edmund Malkoon please like me,and the ever famous Fleshman famous quote there are hot chicks there! It might be fun to join just to watch the circus.
Green gone Red

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2013

Judged:

Sister Cities wrote:
A group of clowns trying to revive something for their own benefit .How many of the names you heard on that list live In town. Once you hear the names Geesey ( new resident of Sebastian) Beverly Kennedy would put her name on anything just to hear her name,Edmund Malkoon please like me,and the ever famous Fleshman famous quote there are hot chicks there! It might be fun to join just to watch the circus.
Ms. Green sure got red faced being pissed trying to explain how her version of sister cities had their act together and all was in order, talking down to the commission.

Then right after her Geri speaks and further throws Green under the bus when she admitted that in fact they let it go and Clark returned all the funds belonging to the defunct group to the town!!

But at least Green took the time to mention all the names involved with her version so we know who to stay away from....

Some Gesseys have even moved out of town.

The best was seeing Eric and his finance, who really is the one who actually did a great deal of work going way back with the organization, tell everyone of the great things they are doing. Not have done, but are doing.

As opposed to holding a meeting during the slowest time of year when more residents are out of town, on the same night as a town meeting, to hold an election, purely for political benefit and will not be forgotten.

Now thats entertainment!!!!
Entertainment

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2013

The biggest entertainment and self promotion of the evening was provide by Eric and his girlfriend. According to her the best attended event in town was the Peruvian religious event at Assumption Church which over 300 attended. Looks like she and her boyfriend Eric have not attended very many major town events. I saw him at the Halloween event but perhaps he cannot see very well. Halloween had over 300 children attend,July 4 has tons of attendees, as well as Easter by the Sea, Sunrise Services, etc.
Sour Grapes

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2013

Entertainment wrote:
The biggest entertainment and self promotion of the evening was provide by Eric and his girlfriend. According to her the best attended event in town was the Peruvian religious event at Assumption Church which over 300 attended. Looks like she and her boyfriend Eric have not attended very many major town events. I saw him at the Halloween event but perhaps he cannot see very well. Halloween had over 300 children attend,July 4 has tons of attendees, as well as Easter by the Sea, Sunrise Services, etc.
What have you done lately?
Entertainment

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2013

Sour Grapes wrote:
<quoted text> What have you done lately?
Well today I went to work, had lunch with a client, had dinner with the family and had some friends drop by after dinner. And what have you done today Mr./Ms. Sour Grapes.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

I see either a pick up in town economy or I am taking market share. It is despite construction, and not because of any improvements, since the construction is in its full disruptive swing. Other hotels seem to be doing better than last year, too.

One theory I heard is that this construction traffic jam is good for my business. Personally I do not think so because my exit/entrance is often blocked. However, somebody told me that all these thousands of car stuck in traffic look at my shore haven signs whether they like it or not. So who knows.
Gilligans MIA

Hialeah, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2013

Judged:

arthur wrote:
I see either a pick up in town economy or I am taking market share. It is despite construction, and not because of any improvements, since the construction is in its full disruptive swing. Other hotels seem to be doing better than last year, too.
One theory I heard is that this construction traffic jam is good for my business. Personally I do not think so because my exit/entrance is often blocked. However, somebody told me that all these thousands of car stuck in traffic look at my shore haven signs whether they like it or not. So who knows.
So good they haven't found Marianne or the Professor yet either, but word has it the Skipper was seen in another watering hole. While the Howells simply are counting their money.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2013

Judged:

Also something weird is going on in A1A parking lot. I noticed that cars are parked there very early. Since we made it free it is possible for it to be used overnight, or for however long, and since the idea was to make it free to help businesses I am trying to figure which business is being helped by this lot being free since the lot is half full before any business even opens. Or almost any business.

This morning I only looked at it for a little bit and each time there was a fisherman crossing A1A from that lot to get to the pier. So either this is de facto a parking lot for the pier now or it is a parking lot used for free by fishermen instead of the pier parking lot. If this lot gets filled up by fishermen then it precludes prospective clients of restaurants from parking there, and it may not even help the pier since fishermen do not have to pay to park at pier parking lot.

I am just not sure who, if anybody, is being helped with this parking lot being free, but it is hard to trim my palm trees with cars parked underneath them almost all day and night, and maybe it being free even contributes to the existing construction-induced traffic jam.

So just an update on what is going on in town and about the unintended consequence of meddling that you will not hear about at a normally very positive and uplifting commission meeting.
Happy Thanksgiving

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Hope everyone had a nice holiday.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 42,181 - 42,200 of42,338
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Parkland Discussions

Search the Parkland Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Review: Travel Options Inc (Sep '11) 18 hr Do not do it 114
Stand By Tamarac / Wating For CIA Authorization... 19 hr Reply_Spy 1
Review: Dixie Cycle (Jun '09) Jul 10 Coop From Dixie Cycle 7
Review: United Wine Inc Jul 8 Rebecca 1
Debate: Health Care - Coral Springs, FL (Oct '12) Jul 8 Frank M Jerry 38
What's the Real Deal with Coral Springs? (Mar '10) Jul 8 Frank M Jerry 433
Review: Pompano Fitness (Oct '09) Jul 8 Broken2014 75
•••
•••