Pet Grooming Schools & Associations ...
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Hummelstown, PA

#73 Jun 2, 2013
I have been grooming for over 10 years, learned through several hands on programs and opportunities, not in a school. A lot of people who go to grooming schools have no concept of what the industry is like, and get in over their heads. I worked under the woman who trained me for 6 years, learning the entire time. I now compete in grooming competitions as well.

Plain and simple, licensing is necessary. I hate reading stories of pets injured by 'groomers' who lie about certification (a certificate of completion from a school is NOT certification, or licensing!) I agree that something DOES NEED to be put in place. There are efforts out there in the works in several states to create a licensing program similar to that which human hairstylists and cosmetologists are required to take. The hang up is noone can agree on who should make what rules, who should be in charge, and the list goes on. A board should comprise of not only groomers but also at least one veterinarian, and ideally an animal trainer/behaviorist. One giant lack in grooming is groomers don't always take the time to learn any training or behavior management skills (and it's scary that this doesn't just go for the dogs in all cases!)

Going to a school, whether reputable or otherwise, also does not mean you are 'instant groomer'. You may know some basics, but I see groomers all the time who stop there. A big problem that feeds this are big chains that provide 'grooming' services with in house trained groomers. They claim their groomers are 'certified' after taking multiple choice quizzes and reading a book. Heck, the one I worked for, the salon manager even gave me the answer sheet. Fortunately that's not where I was taught.

But anyway. I'll rest. The plain simple fact is regulation IS needed, and this is coming straight from a groomer, who is tired of the BS in the industry. I'm not perfect, never will be, but there's always something new to learn, you just have to have the drive and aptitude to BE a good groomer to take the steps necessary to become one.

Irwin, PA

#74 Oct 14, 2014
I completed the 2 week intensive training at the national cat groomers institute and it was well worth every penny!!! I have been grooming cats for over 20 years and I was truly humbled at the cat grooming school I now am the expert cat groomer I always knew I could be!!! I groom every cat with the standards and practices I've learned and Always strive to do the best as I now represent the group of certified feline master groomers

Milton, FL

#75 May 17, 2015
Dog Owner wrote:
The Southern Institute of Pet Grooming is under investigation by the State. Some people do not agree with Beckwith and some former students have complained....
Not only should Pet Grooming Schools be investigated but so should Pet Grooming Associations that certify pet groomers. Why are owners of some of these pet grooming schools and associations allowed to certify themselves and others as Master Groomers? Only state approved schools can be held accountable through licensing. Who holds these certifing pet grooming associations and unlicensed pet grooming schools accountable? Why are these association certified pet groomers not required to be licensed by the State? Where do these unlicensed schools and associations get the authority to certify?
News stories report pets are being injured in schools and even killed by pet groomers!
Something needs to be done!!!
I went to school in Colorado and it was a joke, Bery unprofessional i smelled their smoke all day in my face, they also didn't teach what was on their syllabus, What I hoped would be a fun experience was a nightmare

United States

#76 Jul 1, 2015
I have read all of theposts above. Which has been very discouraging for me. I want to become a dog groomer with future expectations of owning my own pet salon one day. I worked for a small family owned dog grooming business about 3 years ago, and I was only taught the bare minimal of dog grooming. We had only one master stylist, and I must admit she was good at what she did, but for whatever reason, refused to train anyone else. I have been searching on the internet for a grooming salon in the Houston, TX area that would take me in as a intern and teach me the techniques of grooming all breed dogs. I have worked with animals off and on my whole life, and working with animals has been the most rewarding work I have ever done. For the past 8 years I have worked helping our family run our paint contracting business. Although it has been rewarding, it is not something that is in my soul, so to speak. My husband has recently been diagnosed with a illness. Still able to work... So, I'm at a time in my life that I want and need to pursue the career of my dreams. I know that is working with animals. I was looking into Golden Paws and also Animal Behavior College to learn to groom. Now that I've read these posts, it does not seem to be such a wonderful idea at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on how I should pursue my career of choice. I don't want to be considered a "tard" (lol) to others in the industry or to future clientele because I chose one of these schools, only to spend bookoo money and still not know what the heck I'm doing. I want to be trained not only the correct way, but the best way, as well. Thank you for your time..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parker Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
If you were a country singer.... Oct 2 big fan 1
Review: Coops Health & Fitness Club (Dec '08) Sep 29 Boog 20
News GE to move jobs from South Carolina, other stat... Sep 28 toothless leroy 3
Greenville Co - ElDeco Electric Is Bad? (Dec '10) Sep 26 Tri State 70
News GOP candidate Carson: Muslim shouldn't be elect... Sep 22 flame of truth 7
News Meth lab busted in Powdersville (May '10) Sep 22 James Bush 3
Gay Teens In Greenville South Carolina Sep 20 Anonymous 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Parker Mortgages