Man in fight with builder over shifti...

Man in fight with builder over shifting soil

There are 109 comments on the KUSA Denver story from Jun 25, 2007, titled Man in fight with builder over shifting soil. In it, KUSA Denver reports that:

" A disabled military veteran says he is stuck. He wants to move for medical reasons, but he cannot sell his home because of serious problems with expansive soils.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KUSA Denver.

Sideliner

Denver, CO

#26 Jun 26, 2007
I have a Centex home in Thornton. It sucks. Our driveway has cracked and the top layer has peeled off. The garage door to the house has shifted and cracked. The front porch step sunk and yes...you guessed it...it's cracked and completely separated from the porch. I would never buy a Centex home again.
Structural Engineer

Aurora, CO

#27 Jun 26, 2007
You people should get a life...This is just another example of media sensationalism...9News has obviously only done this story because the homeowner is a disabled vet in need of a kidney transplant who needs help...9News has decided that help for him may come by showcasing his case, and his neighborhood -- irregardless of the facts...Ever consider passive extortion as a possibility here? Sounds like he just needs a new realtor!(And no, I don't work for Centex, or am I involved in designing repairs for this subdivision.)
Chuck

Louisville, CO

#28 Jun 26, 2007
The topography on Colorados front range is hilly. I see builders all the time using graters to cut down hills and fill low spots so that they can build track houses on a more flat surface. I am sure this contributes to the shifting soils, they are not conpacted correctly.
Housing here is way over priced, it now emulates a state west of here where is was and still is way overpriced.
Meadow Homes

Denver, CO

#29 Jun 26, 2007
I bought out at 470 and Smokey hill .(7 years ago )..The builder basically said move in or screw you ...We had already sold our old house so had no other option ...Dont buy Meadow homes either ...pos houses
Meadow Homes

Denver, CO

#30 Jun 26, 2007
Structural Engineer wrote:
You people should get a life...This is just another example of media sensationalism...9News has obviously only done this story because the homeowner is a disabled vet in need of a kidney transplant who needs help...9News has decided that help for him may come by showcasing his case, and his neighborhood -- irregardless of the facts...Ever consider passive extortion as a possibility here? Sounds like he just needs a new realtor!(And no, I don't work for Centex, or am I involved in designing repairs for this subdivision.)
Yeah right your getting a kickback from somebody ...Stinking dumba$$....Or better yet go back and get a real engineering degree from a college instead of cracker jack box
Suzy

Denver, CO

#31 Jun 26, 2007
Thank heaven for the recent legislation which makes home builders take responsibility for their work. We were not so lucky, $80,000 down the tube so far because the builder has yet to step up to their product.

“It's pronounced DAG-uth.”

Since: Jun 07

Windsor, CO

#32 Jun 26, 2007
I have a friend in the electrical industry who's worked on Centex homes before. He said it was a nightmare. Apparently, they cut corners every chance they get and do everything at the lowest standard possible to just pass inspection. You get what you pay for.
Tattoo

Fort Collins, CO

#33 Jun 26, 2007
Structural Engineer wrote:
You people should get a life...This is just another example of media sensationalism...9News has obviously only done this story because the homeowner is a disabled vet in need of a kidney transplant who needs help...9News has decided that help for him may come by showcasing his case, and his neighborhood -- irregardless of the facts...Ever consider passive extortion as a possibility here? Sounds like he just needs a new realtor!(And no, I don't work for Centex, or am I involved in designing repairs for this subdivision.)
And your point is? What's wrong with taking up the case of a vet that is in failing health? He took an extra step for his country...why can't the builder take an exxtra step for him? You might not be a structural engineer if it wasn't for people like him. By the way, there is no word as "irregardless".
Observer

Denver, CO

#34 Jun 26, 2007
AssemblyLineHomes wrote:
The number one step in any home building is to execute a soil test on the site.... For a hundred bucks or so, you can rest assured your house isn't going to be caving in on you.
Bentonite runs in wave patterns (like streaks) in the soil. You can test in one spot and miss clay entirely. Multiple core samples are taken on a site and an average percentage of expansion is calculated from the samples. Having soil testing done on a house already built will not really do you any good unless you have the foundation plan in front of you and even then you can't trust that it was built as designed unless you were there to witness the setting and pour.

Building a foundation to withstand expansion is (mostly) possible and backfilling with non-expansive soils is the best way. But it is expensive and takes more time. Cookie-cutter homes built in Colorado these days don't even come close. Bentonite runs all over the Front Range. Best bet? Buy an older house that has shown it can withstand the test of time. Be sure drainage is away from the foundation. And especially, DON'T support these builders (like DR Horton or others).
ScottRB

Denver, CO

#35 Jun 26, 2007
Look at the Pulte homes in Roxborough Village... There are homes that have had basements replaced five times (under 'warranty' to keep them out of court) since 1988!
The bottom line is Californication and the frenzied 'construction' of homes in this state has caused a huge problem for people who were/are fodder for these "builders".
"Special Metro Districts"... who's bright idea was THAT?!
It's time these "builders" are held responsible and male them stop hiding behind lawyers.
ScottRB

Denver, CO

#36 Jun 26, 2007
made... although most might be male... :-)
TLC

Fargo, ND

#37 Jun 26, 2007
Such a shame.

It cost so much time,energy and money to buy a home!

I honestly feel that the contractors should insure all of the homes they build for a certain time frame. If the home owner is unsatisfied with the home due to construction, the contractors should have to buy it back.

If the contractor has a vested interest in building a good product, I have a feeling the construction would be of better quality.

John

Denver, CO

#38 Jun 26, 2007
From Castle Rock to Thornton, builders all over the Metro area are abandoning their home owners. Many cases they are pulling out of communities all together unfinished. Home builders are scum, I to am stuck with a house I can't sell without taking a 30-40k loss..

I feel for the guy sure but why should this guy get special attention or treatment. His house is not going to collapse, I'd even bet his contract stated what size crack the builder would cover. Get with it people, I got news for ya, concrete cracks. The real reason he can't sell his house is today's housing market is very weak. Has absolutely nothing to do with the cracked foundation. Any house will sell in any given market if the price is right.

In all honesty this entire situation could be fixed for around $300-500 bucks. Guess what…. even if it was fixed (or it never existed in the first place) he still won't be able to sell it unless he lowers the price. Just a sad truth about today's market. The only buyers in the market today are people looking for deep discounts and steals. Hey Paco, just do what everyone else does, let the bank have it back brother.
ivebeenthere

Boulder, CO

#39 Jun 26, 2007
Happened to me, only I was a SECOND owner with a big disadvantage. Village Homes refused to help us with the leaks and heaving since we were not the original owners, after 10 years of ownership now we finally have stopped the leaking ceiling on the main floor (2 story house)due to flashing problems and a broken window (they installed wrong). Their dumb soil tests did every third lot and they interpolated assuming what was between was somehow associated with the adjacent lots.... nope. It has cost us a bundle, but now it is fixed right. My recommendation, don't sell to some poor guy who won't be able to leverage the builder like you can as original owner. Hang in there and make them do it right.
also
NEVER BUY A VILLAGE HOME
Sad

United States

#40 Jun 26, 2007
Caveat Emptor. This person wanted to get into an inexpensive home and then complains. Maybe he should also buy near the airport then complain about the noise. While it is heartbreaking to see someone with health issues become trapped in this situation, it seems that he would be just fine passing these issues onto someone else. That is sad.
skeptical

Brighton, CO

#41 Jun 26, 2007
Centex homes are despicable. I will never, ever, purchase a Centex home and I hope that the word gets out.
Just_Me

Denver, CO

#42 Jun 26, 2007
When my husband & I were in the market to buy a home 2 years ago, we started researching houses and structure integrity a year previously. I am, by no means a rocket scientist or a Mensa candidate, but there are a TON of resources out there at the public library or online that show what to look for when buying a home! That's why we decided that we would buy a home that was already established -- 20 year old homes rarely shift! Duhhhhhh, no offense, but you can make ANY house a "Dream Home". It just takes a little elbow grease and I don't feel an ounce of pity for anyone who's too lazy to get a "fixer-upper" just because it's a "used house". Bleh. And no, my husband & I are NOT rich, we do not have a ton of money coming in to hire people and buy stuff. Everything that is done to the house we do it ourselves (painting, planting trees, putting in new carpet, etc). It just takes some hard work & some sweat, but I've made our home into a "Dream Home" that I don't have to worry about it falling apart around our ears because it was built in 2 weeks! CloneHomes are bad business for a lot of people, most of all, the new home-owner who's too blinded by shiny new things to realize that it's not going to last. I have *no idea* on who built my home (was built back in '83, and I'm in a suburb), but you can hire a good inspector privately to show you what is going to go wrong and what's right with this house. That's what we did, and I'm expecting to be able to live in my home for the next 30 years! To me, it looks like Centex is going out of their way to make things right by paying the mortgages, the rental fees, etc etc etc. But *SOME* blame needs to be put on the people who want things done NOW rather than waiting.
GHK Custom Homes

Denver, CO

#43 Jun 26, 2007
All tract homes are junk. DR Horton, Melody, Centex, you name it they are cracker jack shacks I don't see why people buy them.
Homeowners that buy that trash would be better off buying a modular and placing it on some property since the quality is the same, they would save thousands plus having a home that doesn't look like every other house would have to be worth something.
Nit Wit

Monroe, LA

#45 Jun 26, 2007
Josh wrote:
Shame on Centex, DR Horton, Richmond, Lennar, KB, and Oakwood; are all the worst builders on earth, consciously how do the CEO’s and employees of these builders live with themselves? These companies are so big they could care less about the average home buyer. I will admit some homes you get what you pay for, when the price is lower then normal, do you really think the builder completed individual lot soil test? Being a HVAC tech, I see allot of sub-par work that the job superintendents pass off as alright. The better builders IMO are the smaller builders like Village, Meridian, Joyce, and Infinity; all of which have higher then normal standards for their employees and sub contractors, one of the best big builders IMO is Engle. I despise companies like Centex and DR who have you call a out of state 800 number to file a warranty claim; the small builders you can call someone local, talk to a real person, and get things taken care of.
Just so you know, Engle hasn't always had the best reputation. Ask the homeowners near Bowles and Kipling who live in the Red Deer Townhomes. Then the company was called Park Brook Homes. They changed the name to Park Engle after the Silverado Savings scandal and then later to Engle. I think they're a good company now but it took some twenty years to get there.
Revol

Denver, CO

#46 Jun 26, 2007
Just_Me wrote:
When my husband & I were in the market to buy a home 2 years ago, we started researching houses and structure integrity a year previously. I am, by no means a rocket scientist or a Mensa candidate, but there are a TON of resources out there at the public library or online that show what to look for when buying a home! That's why we decided that we would buy a home that was already established -- 20 year old homes rarely shift! Duhhhhhh, no offense, but you can make ANY house a "Dream Home". It just takes a little elbow grease and I don't feel an ounce of pity for anyone who's too lazy to get a "fixer-upper" just because it's a "used house". Bleh. And no, my husband & I are NOT rich, we do not have a ton of money coming in to hire people and buy stuff. Everything that is done to the house we do it ourselves (painting, planting trees, putting in new carpet, etc). It just takes some hard work & some sweat, but I've made our home into a "Dream Home" that I don't have to worry about it falling apart around our ears because it was built in 2 weeks! CloneHomes are bad business for a lot of people, most of all, the new home-owner who's too blinded by shiny new things to realize that it's not going to last. I have *no idea* on who built my home (was built back in '83, and I'm in a suburb), but you can hire a good inspector privately to show you what is going to go wrong and what's right with this house. That's what we did, and I'm expecting to be able to live in my home for the next 30 years! To me, it looks like Centex is going out of their way to make things right by paying the mortgages, the rental fees, etc etc etc. But *SOME* blame needs to be put on the people who want things done NOW rather than waiting.
Well, aren't you special? The rest of us will have to face commercial injustice alone. I hope we can manage. Your self-righteousness will be sorely missed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parker Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Strange Survey from Douglas County Libraries Jul 21 Dougco 1
News Southern Hospitality and Carve Barbecue Call it... Jul 8 Assquatch 2
is anyone willing to adopt a newborn baby? (Feb '15) Jul 6 Jessica Scharet 11
Review: Kris Kellar Coldwell Banker May '17 amberw 1
Morely swingle (Feb '16) Feb '16 Puzzled 1
News 3 Teen Suicides Rock Area High Schools (Dec '08) Nov '15 The listener 3
Prom pic (Jul '15) Jul '15 dartgame 1

Parker Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Parker Mortgages