Supervisors hear update on Solar Tower

Posted in the Parker Forum

Eye of the People

Parker, AZ

#1 Jul 7, 2011
PART 2
Davey said the plant would not create any carbon emissions, and would not use any water to generate electricity. The estimated cost of the project is $750 million.

At the June 22 meeting, Davey introduced several others involved in the project: his associate, Lee Tanner; Richard Reese of Hensel Phelps Construction; and Adrian Smith, technical director/project management from Faithful Gould.

Hensel Phelps, an internationally recognized company based in Greeley, Colo., will be the prime contractor on the project. The structures they have built include the American embassy in Berlin, Germany and the South Terminal at Miami International Airport. They also built two structures at the University of Arizona in Tucson: the Medical Research Building and the chemistry building expansion.

Faithful Gould will be providing project management services. They are an internationally recognized management and consulting firm. They have worked on the World Trade Center redevelopment project in New York and provided cost estimating services for the Phoenix water department for their wastewater infrastructure program.
Eye of the People

Parker, AZ

#2 Jul 7, 2011
PART 3
Davey told the Supervisors they were working on the logistics of getting construction equipment and materials to the site. They also need to obtain certain permits, including one from the Arizona Corporation Commission. They also needed certain facilities, such as housing for construction workers.

Davey also said they needed to move materials to the site without affecting State Route 95. He suggested a railroad easement from Parker South to the landfill.

County Administrator Dan Field said the county was under court order not to encumber the landfill until the Yakima case was finally settled. He said others were also interested in the landfill, and there would need to be a requests for proposals process.

Reese asked for information on local contractors, stating Hensel Phelps would like to use as many local resources as possible.

District 2 Supervisor John Drum said the EnviroMission had lined up customers in Southern California and Southwestern Arizona. He said the project would help both the local and regional economies.

“We need to get something moving in this economy,” he said.

District 1 Supervisor Sandy Pierce said much of the housing could be in Quartzsite or Parker South. She said was glad to see top-notch companies like Hensel Phelps were involved. In addition to providing jobs, she said the facility would also increase tourism in the area.

“I’m excited about it,” she said.“It’s really going to be something unique.”

D.L. Wilson of the La Paz Economic Development Corporation said his agency had discussed housing with Davey and Reese. He said housing could be located in Quartzsite, Parker South or Bouse. He noted Quartzsite already has the developed infrastructure.

Wilson said LPEDC is providing information on construction and service providers. He said the developers want to hire locally if they can.
Eye of the People

Parker, AZ

#3 Jul 7, 2011
PART 4
I’m really encouraged by the progress they’ve made,” Wilson said.

For more information on the project, go to EnviroMission’s website,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parker Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Quartzsite Music Thread Dec 10 Musikologist 3
police chief Nov 22 Erikj 3
Construction / general contractors Nov '14 I need help 1
Losing candidate Jennifer Jones files federal c... Nov '14 Mike 6
living in lake havasu city (Apr '07) Nov '14 Wildog 168
Lake Havasu City Ready for Summer Tourism Arrests (Feb '08) Oct '14 Flashed in 2000 33
Ballot measures ask voters to raise salaries, f... Oct '14 Roco 1
Parker Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Parker People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Parker News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Parker

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:53 am PST