Overland Park bans pit bulls

Overland Park bans pit bulls

There are 166 comments on the KSHB story from Jul 18, 2006, titled Overland Park bans pit bulls. In it, KSHB reports that:

Pit bulls are no longer welcome in Overland Park. The City Council voted to prohibit people from bringing any more pit bills into this Kansas City suburb after hearing more than 2 1/2 hours of debate and public ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KSHB.

pit bull lover

United States

#21 Aug 9, 2006
ahhh constitutional right....as in we have the ability to choose our pets...this isn't a hard one to comprehend. This goes along with the right to bare arms, the freedom of speech, the right to spank our children if we so choose....I could go on and on. this is not brain surgury knight, you are basically giving the government the right to tell you what you can and can not own. Personally, I am a educated, self sustaining adult who feels that I am perfectly able to make a decision like what kind of D O G to own and bring into MY home by myself, I do not need the "intelligent" city counsel to make that choice for me.

Secondly....Yes, I am saying that say by chance you are able to remove every pit bull (which you never will...the real criminals will still have and fight them). Then those that truely do need a "aggressive" animial to make them feel superior to others will find a replacement. There are plenty of animals besides pit bulls that they can train to be mean.

bottom line: banning does not work.

and no I am not drinking....but perhaps you should grab one before you allow that right to be taken from you as well.
Knight

Ann Arbor, MI

#24 Aug 9, 2006
If ya want we can go into details and fine print darlin. Do you vote? Since you are educated and wise
then you know "We the People" elect these people to office. You must also know that these referendums start from grass roots and then need petitions of a set amount of signatures. People. These people then vote, petition the all mighty City Counselors to pass or not pass these proposed laws.

You also may need a link to our Constitutional Rights...I'm fairly certain there is NO Constitutional RIGHT for Citizens to have a "D O G".
Or was your reference a generalized term?

I understand and empathize your fear of the local (NOT NATIONAL btw) goverments banning your beloved breed(s), perhaps you can volunteer or do your own grass roots campaign for stopping these bans.?

And..my kids are scared **itless of Dogs, they both were bit by non-pitbulls as younglings..I believe one was a Chow Mix and the other a Border Collie that bit em (they were my ex wives mothers dogs..hence I couldnt take a bat to thier skulls).

If you like I can post a link to our Constitutional RIghts...lol
pit bull lover

Virginia Beach, VA

#25 Aug 9, 2006
Knight wrote:
If ya want we can go into details and fine print darlin. Do you vote? Since you are educated and wise
then you know "We the People" elect these people to office. You must also know that these referendums start from grass roots and then need petitions of a set amount of signatures. People. These people then vote, petition the all mighty City Counselors to pass or not pass these proposed laws.
You also may need a link to our Constitutional Rights...I'm fairly certain there is NO Constitutional RIGHT for Citizens to have a "D O G".
Or was your reference a generalized term?
I understand and empathize your fear of the local (NOT NATIONAL btw) goverments banning your beloved breed(s), perhaps you can volunteer or do your own grass roots campaign for stopping these bans.?
And..my kids are scared **itless of Dogs, they both were bit by non-pitbulls as younglings..I believe one was a Chow Mix and the other a Border Collie that bit em (they were my ex wives mothers dogs..hence I couldnt take a bat to thier skulls).
If you like I can post a link to our Constitutional RIghts...lol
perhaps you should try to grasp the overall meaning of what people write instead of nittpicking each individual word...it is CLEAR that you did in fact understand the point of what was written, therefore you are not a complete idiot, however why you have chosen to ignore the the fact that the officals (local. not national...of course) have nothing better to do then pick on dogs...and I am guessing that there are fair more pressing issues there. Furthermore, it seems this is a mute point ...did I not see that the petition didn't even make it through and this will not be on the ballot???...luckily, I do not live ANY where near you...our city respects its citizens and its animals.

sorry that your children are frightened of dogs, but the breeds you mentioned causes me more confusion....what do you have against Pit Bulls???? You of all people should clearly see that it is any breed of dog that can be dangerous.
Knight

Ann Arbor, MI

#27 Aug 9, 2006
I don't hate pitbulls. I hate cats. I was nitpicking because you posted that it was a Constitutional Right that we can have D O G S.
Joe Blow out there reads that and believes your ignorant declaration...even if it was in jest and your potrayal that America Sucks and we have no rights or that our goverment is eroding civil liberties at thier whim. In some cases they are but thats a whole new thread.

I put human life ahead of animal rights and it's owners rights of having dangerous animals/dogs. I've said at least 1/2 dozen times I personally think the local governements call to stricter laws, fines and in some cases Bannings of specific breed a step or Paw in the right direction.

If you read (assuming again, sorry) this threads link to the headline, they stopped the idea of a specific breed ban. Instead they categorize them into a 'Dangerous Breeds" and make a blanket statement/laws...they're still researching the best way to deal with them.

Is your proposal (have you even offered a solution?)
to leave everything "As Is" ? Or are you leaning towards the "It's the breeders/dog owners fault" (meaning do nothing).
Knight

Ann Arbor, MI

#28 Aug 9, 2006
*note* Independence said they will be doing a study on
banning Pit Bulls. OPKS voted the ban.
pit bull lover

Lexington Park, MD

#30 Aug 9, 2006
Knight wrote:
I don't hate pitbulls. I hate cats. I was nitpicking because you posted that it was a Constitutional Right that we can have D O G S.
Joe Blow out there reads that and believes your ignorant declaration...even if it was in jest and your potrayal that America Sucks and we have no rights or that our goverment is eroding civil liberties at thier whim. In some cases they are but thats a whole new thread.
I put human life ahead of animal rights and it's owners rights of having dangerous animals/dogs. I've said at least 1/2 dozen times I personally think the local governements call to stricter laws, fines and in some cases Bannings of specific breed a step or Paw in the right direction.
If you read (assuming again, sorry) this threads link to the headline, they stopped the idea of a specific breed ban. Instead they categorize them into a 'Dangerous Breeds" and make a blanket statement/laws...they're still researching the best way to deal with them.
Is your proposal (have you even offered a solution?)
to leave everything "As Is" ? Or are you leaning towards the "It's the breeders/dog owners fault" (meaning do nothing).
First off, I do not think America suck....quite the oppisite, that is why I have chosen a career in the military in order to protect and defend our rights. Those rights include making simple decisions for ourselfs...such as what pet to own.

Again...Pit Bulls are not dangerous breeds. Dogs as a lot are dangerous animials...if there owners make them that way. For GOD's sake...cats can be dangerous...I have had more damage done to me by a cat then any dog! As to banning dangerous breeds...what does that mean? Now no one is allowed to own a dog over 30lb??? How will you EVER enforce that???? It is utterly riduculous! Hey, lets not stop at the the 30lb limit...after all my mother's lazzapoo bites all the time, I hate that nasty little thing...she should diffently die.

as for doing nothing...I NEVER said or even considered that. OWNERS need to be held responsible for thier animals. But to ban a specific breed or breeds is like slapping a child on the hand for possible stealing in the future....just plain silly.
pit bull lover

Virginia Beach, VA

#31 Aug 9, 2006
knight....gotta run and get the rugrats. been a pleasure....if ya still aren't more informed on the wonderful world of pit bulls, sorry....but perhaps some others have learned something.

that is my goal...just trying to fight the evil myths of pit bulls.
Knight

Ann Arbor, MI

#32 Aug 9, 2006
ciao bella!
Give Me A Break

United States

#33 Aug 10, 2006
I agree with Knight's last comment.

Oh and here's a thought. Why don't we handle dogs
(not just pit bulls) like we do with children and guns. If a child finds a gun in the house a shoots someone, the parent or owner of said gun gets prosecuted for the crime.
If people insist on owning aggresive animals, they should be prosecuted accordingly if the animal attacks.
Pit Bull Lover

Virginia Beach, VA

#34 Aug 10, 2006
Give Me A Break wrote:
I agree with Knight's last comment.
Oh and here's a thought. Why don't we handle dogs
(not just pit bulls) like we do with children and guns. If a child finds a gun in the house a shoots someone, the parent or owner of said gun gets prosecuted for the crime.
If people insist on owning aggresive animals, they should be prosecuted accordingly if the animal attacks.
Actually it seems you do not agree with Knight then...it is his stand that they should be banned. Pit Bull owners/supports are all for owners being held responsible for thier dogs.
Give Me a Break

United States

#35 Aug 11, 2006
Pit Bull Lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it seems you do not agree with Knight then...it is his stand that they should be banned. Pit Bull owners/supports are all for owners being held responsible for thier dogs.
No, actually I do agree with his last comment and I quote;
"Oh..addendum..I don't HAVE TO learn or study about all breeds. I know one thing- if a dog, pitbull or weinerdog bites my kids or family. I kill the dog with whatever I can put my hands on..probably a baseball bat to the head of the dog"
Pit Bull Lover

Virginia Beach, VA

#36 Aug 11, 2006
Give Me a Break wrote:
<quoted text>
No, actually I do agree with his last comment and I quote;
"Oh..addendum..I don't HAVE TO learn or study about all breeds. I know one thing- if a dog, pitbull or weinerdog bites my kids or family. I kill the dog with whatever I can put my hands on..probably a baseball bat to the head of the dog"
that is your right (not to learn) along with knight you too may remain ignorant.
however, if you would ever bash my dogs head in I would call the authorities on you (as many would). there is a way to handle such cases and "bashing a dog with a baseball bat" is not the way.
and don't read into this....I do not advocate dogs that bite. If the dog is dangerous, something needs to be done with it...but it is not up to each individual citizen to go around beating dogs heads in.
Pit Bull Lover

Virginia Beach, VA

#37 Aug 11, 2006
Give Me A Break wrote:
I agree with Knight's last comment.
Oh and here's a thought. Why don't we handle dogs
(not just pit bulls) like we do with children and guns. If a child finds a gun in the house a shoots someone, the parent or owner of said gun gets prosecuted for the crime.
If people insist on owning aggresive animals, they should be prosecuted accordingly if the animal attacks.
by the way...are you pro or con ban? your comments are confusing....you say you agree with knight, but then you make is sound as though you agree that owners should be held responsible. Which is it?
Knight

Ann Arbor, MI

#38 Aug 11, 2006
Agreeing with Knight is the only way to go for
absolute happiness and a guilt free conscience.
Pit Bull Lover

Lexington Park, MD

#39 Aug 11, 2006
the blind leading the blind.....LOL
Knight

Ann Arbor, MI

#40 Aug 11, 2006
ummm.... yeah.

pit bulls are sooooo loveable.=/
think ill go out this weekend and adopt one.
......crap...nevermind.. overland park has banned them.

damn.
Pit Bull Lover

Virginia Beach, VA

#41 Aug 11, 2006
your loss....

BTW...have you even spent any time with a pit bull???
Knight

Ann Arbor, MI

#42 Aug 11, 2006
is running over them considered 'some time'???
Knight

Ann Arbor, MI

#44 Aug 11, 2006
never said i was grown up.=/ it was a joke.
it's friday... and honestly..i'm scared shi tless
of pitbulls I see wandering around. theres no
friggin way I'm going to assume the pitbull is
a loving, caring, thoughtful animal and go give it
a hug or pet it. as you know, animals smell fear.
he'd smell my fear of it 4 blocks away.

you can talk all day long about the soft sider of
pitbulls you want it won't change my narrow minded
views on pitbulls. they're dangerous, need muzzles when outside and always on a leash led by someone
who isnt being drugged around. they were BRED for
death and destruction.

btw, i've never run over any dogs on purpose.
Pit Bull Lover

Virginia Beach, VA

#45 Aug 11, 2006
Friday indeed! Finally...

every thought of asking the owner....we don't want our dog to bite anyone...if the dog is mean we will tell you....

sounds to me that your problem is with dogs in general...I am sorry that you have such a narrow minded view of the world and have no room in your life for such joys as a loving, loyal animal. Trust me, you and your ban loving buddy's will NEVER get rid of pit bulls...you are wasting you time. So perhaps you should make an effort to get over your fears and see what your missing. You may even be a good lesson to your children to face thier fears and move on with life after a bad expirence....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Raised in Quinter (Jan '09) Apr '15 seth 3
Debate: Health Care - Oakley, KS (Dec '09) Apr '15 drsid 5
Tennessee motorist needing help Mar '15 stitch811 1
News KANSAS SEAT BELT LAW: Kansas Set to Make Not Us... (May '10) Mar '15 concerned citizen 18
News When staging a home, give every room a role - S... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Tim Stanford Yoc... 1
News Roeland Park, KS approves Non-discrimination po... (Aug '14) Aug '14 sue 1
News Arkansas Best Freight's biggest competitor on b... (Jun '09) Aug '14 wow 5
More from around the web

Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]