Standoff at Overland Park Home Has Ended

Full story: Fox4KC 15
A standoff at an Overland Park home is over. Johnson County Sheriff's Deputies called a standoff after a man barricaded himself in his home in Overland Park at 144th and Hemlock on Friday. Full Story
vandy

Lees Summit, MO

#1 Sep 18, 2010
thought it was gonna be another waco tx deal.... waco(we aint coming out!)
anon

Chicago, IL

#2 Sep 18, 2010
Hail satan.
Kansas Resident Tom

Lawrence, KS

#3 Sep 18, 2010
I think it is a poor use of law enforcement personel to remove a person from their foreclosed home.
Most likely there are issues the officers may have not known about.
I feel that the law agency that responded to remove this person, created a larger problem just to cover the cost to remove a law abiding citizen that has fallen on hard times.
Shame on the police department.
Santosh Kumar

Overland Park, KS

#4 Sep 18, 2010
It is a shame on law enforsement officer, that gave the neighborhood bad name just because of one stupid person. You know or not,it has cause of millions dollar damage and inconvenient of people to save one house for one person stupididty.
SER 66223

Shawnee, KS

#5 Sep 19, 2010
Evictionnotices are served by the sheriff by law. This is actuLly a protection to the home owner. It prevents a mortgage holder from hiring any random unscrupulous person to remove you from a property granted, this owner had some other issues going on, but I'm glad the Sherriffs Dept was the one to encounter him and not someone else. Let's also not forget that he has been in the foreclosure process for 11mo. This was not going to be a surprise.
Bill

Leawood, KS

#6 Sep 19, 2010
The house was foreclosed and sold back in February/March. He was squatting in the home and had been avoiding contact with the Sheriff's office for months. They actually followed him to the home and he ran in to hide after threatening them.

Someone may have gotten a really good deal on that home and then again, maybe not depending on what he did to it. The teargas itself is pretty destructive.

If I were the new owner I would be concerned about what this nut case might do next.
Bill

Leawood, KS

#7 Sep 19, 2010
The good news is he has a place to stay now with meals. We pay his rent and grocery bill.
Bill

Leawood, KS

#8 Sep 19, 2010
They set his bond at $250k and he has felony charges. He will likely need a public defender unless family steps forward. If he couldn't pay his $2,000 mortgage he can't pay a bondsman $25k for the $250k bond or the minimum $15k a lawyer will demand for felony defense. He needs to stay locked up for six months or so to learn his lesson. Hopefully the new owner sues him in civil court and hangs that one over his head too.
Kcaj

Raymore, MO

#9 Sep 19, 2010
Bill wrote:
The house was foreclosed and sold back in February/March. He was squatting in the home and had been avoiding contact with the Sheriff's office for months. They actually followed him to the home and he ran in to hide after threatening them.
Someone may have gotten a really good deal on that home and then again, maybe not depending on what he did to it. The teargas itself is pretty destructive.
If I were the new owner I would be concerned about what this nut case might do next.
When we had our home listed, our realtor advised us to NOT advertise on Craigslist that we had property for sale, especially since our house was vacant in the process of selling it. Our realtor told us that people will go through the house like they are interested buyers, they figure out it's vacant and then they go back and "squat" there. We were told that it is very difficult to remove someone that has squatted in a home. This guy obviously knew the house was "vacant" and just never left.
Bill

Leawood, KS

#10 Sep 19, 2010
Kcaj wrote:
<quoted text>
When we had our home listed, our realtor advised us to NOT advertise on Craigslist that we had property for sale, especially since our house was vacant in the process of selling it. Our realtor told us that people will go through the house like they are interested buyers, they figure out it's vacant and then they go back and "squat" there. We were told that it is very difficult to remove someone that has squatted in a home. This guy obviously knew the house was "vacant" and just never left.
That scenerio would be considered trespassing and easily dealt with. Not that getting them out wouldn't cause some damage. Eviction is required when a LEGAL tennant is ordered to leave by the courts.

I found an adjacent property owner trying to cut a road through some property I own years ago. A simple call to the Sheriff and he was ordered off the property with a threat of arrest. He had cleared the trees but hadn't started excavating yet. I elected not to file charges.

There was a case of squatting in a seasonal home up in the Northeast recently where the squatter actually forged signatures and sold the property. Those individuals are now in a State prison but the owner went through hell getting the property back.

You just never know anymore, caution is best. Everyone has equal access to public records.
Kcaj

Raymore, MO

#11 Sep 19, 2010
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
That scenerio would be considered trespassing and easily dealt with. Not that getting them out wouldn't cause some damage. Eviction is required when a LEGAL tennant is ordered to leave by the courts.
I found an adjacent property owner trying to cut a road through some property I own years ago. A simple call to the Sheriff and he was ordered off the property with a threat of arrest. He had cleared the trees but hadn't started excavating yet. I elected not to file charges.
There was a case of squatting in a seasonal home up in the Northeast recently where the squatter actually forged signatures and sold the property. Those individuals are now in a State prison but the owner went through hell getting the property back.
You just never know anymore, caution is best. Everyone has equal access to public records.
I understand people get desperate in desperate times, but I hate the mentality that people feel entitled to whatever they want.
Think About It

Garnett, KS

#12 Sep 19, 2010
Kansas Resident Tom wrote:
I think it is a poor use of law enforcement personel to remove a person from their foreclosed home.
Most likely there are issues the officers may have not known about.
I feel that the law agency that responded to remove this person, created a larger problem just to cover the cost to remove a law abiding citizen that has fallen on hard times.
Shame on the police department.
The mortgage lender sued him for non-payment and foreclosed on the house. The courts then ordered the Sheriff's office to remove him, i.e. eviction. Law Enforcement was only doing what the courts ordered. I guess you want them to ignore the order,get charged with contempt, loose his job and house, and let you provide him with 3 meal and a bed. It must be easy to blame the police for everything.
really

Lenexa, KS

#13 Sep 19, 2010
Why would anyone blame the police for this guy not paying his bills for a year? You would want the police to get someone out of your house if they weren't paying you. Leave the police alone. They didn't do wrong here. Don't blame them for other peoples crap.
BillyBob

Kansas City, MO

#14 Sep 20, 2010
I'm with Bill in Kansas City, there are many out there who've fallen on hard times but don't resort to threats or violence when it's time to get gone. I'm sorry for this man's circumstances, but he only made a bad situation worse.

Homeowners take note: We have squatters here and in other states who find vacant homes or homes which have been foreclosed, and they squat. It is not always easy to evict squatters, that's why you never want some unauthorized party (like a renter or a note holder) on or in your property. You'd be amazed at what some people will do.
Bill

Leawood, KS

#15 Sep 20, 2010
The bond was initially set at $10,000. Then they increased it to $250,000 and added a required Mental Health evaluation, no firearms, no alcohol and medication as prescribed from the Mental Evaluation required as conditions. He still hasn't made bond. They see a need to keep him detained. Caution neighbors and new homeowner!!!!!! His public defense will eventually get his bond reduced.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Overland Park bans pit bulls (Jul '06) Nov 28 MichFan 165
When staging a home, give every room a role - S... Sep '14 Tim Stanford Yoc... 1
Debate: Health Care - Oakley, KS (Dec '09) Sep '14 Sgt Trenton L Rhea 4
Roeland Park, KS approves Non-discrimination po... Aug '14 sue 1
Arkansas Best Freight's biggest competitor on b... (Jun '09) Aug '14 wow 5
US Jewish security arm holds international summit (Jun '14) Jun '14 ROSENBERG 1
Holder to deliver remarks in Overland Park (Apr '14) Apr '14 jeffry helms 4

High Wind Watch for Gove County was issued at December 21 at 3:23PM CST

Park Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Park News, Events & Info