Kansas Parents, Daycare Providers Squ...

Kansas Parents, Daycare Providers Square Off Over 'Lexi's Law'

There are 98 comments on the Fox4KC story from Mar 1, 2010, titled Kansas Parents, Daycare Providers Square Off Over 'Lexi's Law'. In it, Fox4KC reports that:

The Kansas Senate are planning an afternoon meeting on Tuesday that could affect parents and children across the state as they gather to work on "Lexi's Law," a bill that will toughen state regulations on daycare providers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox4KC.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Another Parent

Overland Park, KS

#83 May 13, 2010
lurker wrote:
The bill passed and will be signed into law! Good news for Kansas children!
It is GREAT NEWS! Thanks to all the wonderful child care providers who fought to make sure "all" the child care facilities, not just reg. ones will be inspected every year. My provider and all of the parents in her care wrote to get a better bill. These FAMILY CHILD CARE PROVIDERS should be proud. Thank you!
abc

Junction City, KS

#84 May 14, 2010
Yes, this is great news. My rates are going up! All this is going to cost you a bit more than $3 an hour. Enjoy!
another parent

Kansas City, MO

#85 May 14, 2010
lurker wrote:
The bill passed and will be signed into law! Good news for Kansas children!
Not good news GREAT NEWS! Did you all know that the deaths this year are down in Kansas childcare. YES!!!! This will fluctuate but will never stop children from dying. Would Lexie be alive if her provider was inspected a week before her death. Think not. This will not prevent deaths from happening in Kansas just more red tape. And this bill makes parents feel better that they have done this. If I were a childcare provider I would want this bill to go through. Heck, inspect every 15 months or so instead of 12. YES!!!!! Raise rates registered providers heck the big childcare facilities charge an arm and a leg. Why do you not think that some of these parents didn't go there to start with. I see $$$$$$$$$ in the making. Yes!!!!!
Parent

Overland Park, KS

#86 May 30, 2010
another parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Not good news GREAT NEWS! Did you all know that the deaths this year are down in Kansas childcare. YES!!!! This will fluctuate but will never stop children from dying. Would Lexie be alive if her provider was inspected a week before her death. Think not. This will not prevent deaths from happening in Kansas just more red tape. And this bill makes parents feel better that they have done this. If I were a childcare provider I would want this bill to go through. Heck, inspect every 15 months or so instead of 12. YES!!!!! Raise rates registered providers heck the big childcare facilities charge an arm and a leg. Why do you not think that some of these parents didn't go there to start with. I see $$$$$$$$$ in the making. Yes!!!!!
What is your problem? Don't you care about te safety of children?
Provider too

AOL

#87 Jun 2, 2010
I find it funny how all you registered providers are so snotty just because you will now be inspected. What are you hiding????? I am licensed and for cryin out loud it not that big of a deal....but I am not trying to hide anything.

I congratulate the Engelman's and Patrick's for a job well done.
Amber

Platte City, MO

#88 Jun 4, 2010
food for thought wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me ask you this then...with the budget being in a deficit how do you propose we inspect all of the daycares without any cost? If you have any ideas please contact your representative and let them know.
I am currently a licensed provider. FYI I pay the Johnson County Health Department a fee of $65 to come to our home and do our inspection. The State of Kansas has local health departments, aka surveyors, handle the inspections. The State of Kansas does not fund the inspections, we the providers do. The only fee I pay directly to the state is $15, for the license and KBI inspections. I thought most everyone would find that information interesting, since we are concerned about funding all of the inspections.

I should add something else, a few days ago my surveyor came for my annual inspection. I was informed that as a daycare provider, I had to have all the children in "fire safety approved" areas. I have a 3 story home, 2 floors (main and walk-out basement) are used for daycare. The State of Kansas only allows 2 floors to be "approved," so that means that my upstairs can not be used for daycare. Okay, no problem...except that MY OWN CHILDREN can't sleep in their room during "operating hours," nor be out of my direct visual supervision So, because of my career choice I would be forced to wake my children up and have them downstairs from 6am-6pm! They are not allowed to be upstairs at all, and guess what neither am I. I as a provider am expected to keep changes of clothes for myself and children downstairs. No one is allowed upstairs during "operating hours." I/we were going to be prisoners in my own home. I am one of the many providers that will be leaving my profession because of the new regulations. The truth is I want to be in 100% compliance of the law all of the time, and as it is written, it is impossible. I don't think the intention of Lexie's family was to put good, honest daycares in a difficult place, but to take care of the one's that broke the law. That's not what's going on.
Cathy

Overland Park, KS

#89 Jun 5, 2010
Provider too wrote:
I find it funny how all you registered providers are so snotty just because you will now be inspected. What are you hiding????? I am licensed and for cryin out loud it not that big of a deal....but I am not trying to hide anything.
I congratulate the Engelman's and Patrick's for a job well done.
Don't you think you should "read" the bill first before you say anything. How can you say "anything" is FUNNY, two small children died.
Another Provider

Overland Park, KS

#90 Jun 5, 2010
Amber wrote:
<quoted text>
I am currently a licensed provider. FYI I pay the Johnson County Health Department a fee of $65 to come to our home and do our inspection. The State of Kansas has local health departments, aka surveyors, handle the inspections. The State of Kansas does not fund the inspections, we the providers do. The only fee I pay directly to the state is $15, for the license and KBI inspections. I thought most everyone would find that information interesting, since we are concerned about funding all of the inspections.
I should add something else, a few days ago my surveyor came for my annual inspection. I was informed that as a daycare provider, I had to have all the children in "fire safety approved" areas. I have a 3 story home, 2 floors (main and walk-out basement) are used for daycare. The State of Kansas only allows 2 floors to be "approved," so that means that my upstairs can not be used for daycare. Okay, no problem...except that MY OWN CHILDREN can't sleep in their room during "operating hours," nor be out of my direct visual supervision So, because of my career choice I would be forced to wake my children up and have them downstairs from 6am-6pm! They are not allowed to be upstairs at all, and guess what neither am I. I as a provider am expected to keep changes of clothes for myself and children downstairs. No one is allowed upstairs during "operating hours." I/we were going to be prisoners in my own home. I am one of the many providers that will be leaving my profession because of the new regulations. The truth is I want to be in 100% compliance of the law all of the time, and as it is written, it is impossible. I don't think the intention of Lexie's family was to put good, honest daycares in a difficult place, but to take care of the one's that broke the law. That's not what's going on.
You are right! Providers are paying for the inspections, so "Food for Thought" had no idea what she was talking about.

It's interesting that your surveyor has already started telling providers what the rules & regs are since they haven't been written yet. You should ask her to show you where it's written in the new book? Providers, some surveyors like to be sticker then others. Have them show you were it's written in the new rules & regs because there are no new Rules & Regs books yet. The children have to be within sight OR sound. Can you hear your children upstairs? Contact your Senator or House Rep about this issue.
KC Mom

Kansas City, MO

#91 Jun 8, 2010
I'd like to meet a parent who always has their child/children in their line of sight. Maybe I am going about this parenting thing in entirely the wrong way.
Involved Mom

United States

#92 Jun 8, 2010
I am so glad I had the good sense to make sacrifices to stay at home and raise my own children.
abc

Fort Riley, KS

#93 Jun 10, 2010
Relax Amber, your inspection is over. Look on the bright side, you should have at least 15 months before they will be back!
Kim

AOL

#94 Jun 16, 2010
Amber....If your second floor is not approved by the fire department then no you can not use it during day care hours. You are also mistaken about being in direct supervision,if you are on the APPROVED main floor and the children are in the APPROVED basement then that is ok. You just have to check on them often.
Think of it as a safety issue that it is. If there was a fire on the main floor and your children were upstairs and the day care children downstairs...who would you save first? Fire departments don't usually approve second floors for safety issues.
Provider

Overland Park, KS

#95 Jul 5, 2010
food for thought wrote:
Sebellius signed that 3 years ago and it hasn't affected anybody. There is nowhere in this bill that states in-home daycares have to be a part of the union. Lets not look for problems where there are none. Lets just deal with the facts.
Then why is CCPT union offering free training to family child care providers?
Child Care Providers

Overland Park, KS

#96 Sep 14, 2010
Child Care Workers (MI) Sue to Break Up Union

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100912/ap_on_bi_...
Cari

United States

#97 Mar 26, 2011
I work in a daycare center and you wouldn't want me to leave the room and leave your child unattended would you? Your home is your home. But when it is a place that you use to take care of someone's child not related to you is something different. So everyone taking care of children should be monitored!
Kimberly wrote:
<quoted text>
While daycares need to be monitored you need to be realistic! I will stake my life that you as a parent do not have your child in your site 24/7. Do you have cameras in your home? Does you child sleep in the same room as you? So you are asking someone to do something that you as a parent do not do. Does that make you irresponsible? I am sure providers will be glad to accommodate the parents, but at a larger weekly cost to them to help pay for the cost of the equipment.
Parents just need to take the time to check out the provider instead of just say the place will do and dropping their child off.
Cari

United States

#98 Mar 26, 2011
I work in a daycare center and you wouldn't want me to leave the room and leave your child unattended would you? Your home is your home. But when it is a place that you use to take care of someone's child not related to you is something different. So everyone taking care of children should be monitored!
Linda

Kansas City, KS

#100 Jul 1, 2011
I am trying ro find out exzctly what all has passed in the new laws I am a licensed provider
hamburg113

Hanoi, Vietnam

#101 Jul 14, 2011
Hi
Tks very much for post:
I like it and hope that you continue posting.
Let me show other source that may be good for community.
Source: http://childdaycarebusiness.info/
Best rgs
David

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Overland Park bans pit bulls (Jul '06) Dec '16 What 181
News Keighley Alyea Latest: Missing Teen's Family & ... (Oct '09) Oct '16 Your cousin Sarah 116
Debate: Health Care - Oakley, KS (Dec '09) Jan '16 Nigerian Prince T... 6
News BCS Overland Park, KS Reports Year to Date Incr... (Aug '10) Aug '15 lgmester 4
News Cop Does Heartfelt Favor for Shoplifting Mom (Jul '15) Jul '15 Spotted Girl 4
News Cop pays for groceries, baby items of homeless ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Dee 1
Raised in Quinter (Jan '09) Apr '15 seth 3

Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Park Mortgages