First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Zoey

AOL

#61 Nov 27, 2010
Nick of Crete wrote:
Golly gee Goobers, Lets see. Daley wanted the folk of color out of the "greens" so he took them down, They shipped and migrated the wonderful folk d/wards, meaning south, That is why evry south suburban town is on the decline, Cause we are in the beltline of the project rejects and the refuge that has followed...
Oh, I am sorry. I am so politically incorect in HOW I say the truth.
Well, it is the truth and there is no way you can make it pretty.
It's everywhere, in every town in the U.S.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

#62 Nov 27, 2010
Boy, it sure did'nt work, as there are still all the same crappy neighborhoods in Chicago, as there was before.........all it succeded in doing was ruin the suburbs......Hell, Park Forest used to be a peaceful, pristine little oasis.....
Durkadurka

Wilmington, IL

#63 Nov 7, 2011
We moved in back in 81 and it was so nice. We moved out in 94 shortly after a gang beat down a child and took his starter jacket in my back yard (Marquette park)

Anyone remember dogwood burning down?
Zoey

Conroe, TX

#64 Nov 7, 2011
What happened to Dogwood? I used to live on Dunlap. Moved out a long time ago, visited the street 8 years ago and was so very sad to see the decline speeding up.
Durkadurka

Coal City, IL

#65 Nov 8, 2011
I remember it mostly burned down in 1990
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

#66 Nov 14, 2011
Durkadurka wrote:
I remember it mostly burned down in 1990
Is that Dogwood Elementary school? Geez, i went there, years ago....lived at 183 Birch, if i recall....
Zoey

Conroe, TX

#67 Nov 14, 2011
Go Blue wrote:
<quoted text> Is that Dogwood Elementary school? Geez, i went there, years ago....lived at 183 Birch, if i recall....
When I was there about 8 years ago the Dogwood School was still there but it wasn't an elementry school any longer. It looked like it was a gathering place for Muslums. Had an odd name on the building.
Deep

Coal City, IL

#68 Nov 14, 2011
It for sure burned down in 1990. This is very googleable
Go Blue

Miami, FL

#69 Aug 2, 2012
Jessica wrote:
I don't want to rain on anyones parade...but Park Forest has been going downhill for quite some time. It's called Dark Forest and it's crime ridden.
Section 8 housing?
kentucky now

Frankfort, KY

#70 Sep 4, 2012
i went to dogwood school for third, fourth, fifth, and sixth grade. i think i started there in about 59. before that, i went to lakewood school. the best teacher ever was miss betty schniepp, dogwood elementary, sixth grade!!!
Don

San Diego, CA

#71 May 6, 2013
Park forest continues to deteriorate. Having grown up there in the early sixties and having just revisited i was shocked. A very interesting article/paper by Joseph Houlihan is easily trackable on the web. He explains the PLANNED integration of Park Forest (PF) back in 1969 when the Wilsons were "brought" into town by the Unitarian Churchs Social Action Commitiee, it makes facinating reading. In the 70's Look magazine called PF the model of integration and it recieved a prestigous award. But offering low income housing alternatives seems to have started the decline of Park Forest. Low income housing brings in low income folks. Race does not matter, money does. Incomes decline, houses get older and property values decline. Those with money move elsewhere to newer, better houses. The cycle continues and money moves out and low income folks move in. The building of the Lincoln Mall in Matteson ran alot of retail sales out of business in PF. Marshal Fields and other stores closed.
The tax base was severley affected. Even with rediculously high property taxes there was not enough money to revitalize the community. The downward spiral continued and continues today. When we lived there the manager of Marshal Fields lived next to us, my dad ran an industrial plant in chicago heights and on the other side of us was an airline pilot. One of my friends dads was in the secret service. It was an executive community. We walked to school. Maney founders were progressive and wanted to integrate. Houlihan tells that story well. Now there are people at the poverty level living there. More recently, to matters worse, property values were cut in half over the last 5 years. You can buy a 900 sq ft house on Blackhawk drive right now for $7900 down and $141/month payment! It's pretty cute too! Nice inside. I showed it to some women at work and they were shocked at how nice it was and how cheep! Most have bigger car payments. I did not tell them the whole story. This phenomenon of the economic decline of the so called "first tier" suburbs has played itself out in other cities across our nation. The only way to avoid it is with $ into the infrastruction, and PF has no way of getting that now. One wounders if it will ever recover. As an aside I revisited an area in chicago that when I was a kid you would not get out of the car in. Now it looks like a regular community! Chicago has the money to change its infrastucture. The big cities of our nation are coming alive again with lofts and business. Young folk are flocking to the cities. PF and other such communities have gone the other way. Comments welcome........
Clock Tower Weasel

Bolton, Canada

#72 May 7, 2013
I had heard that the board was considering a name change to "Dark Forest".

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#73 Thursday Sep 25
Don wrote:
Park forest continues to deteriorate......... Race does not matter, money does. Incomes decline, houses get older and property values decline. Those with money move elsewhere to newer, better houses. The cycle continues and money moves out and low income folks move in..... You can buy a 900 sq ft house on Blackhawk drive right now for $7900 down and $141/month payment! It's pretty cute too! Nice inside. I showed it to some women at work and they were shocked at how nice it was..... I did not tell them the whole story...... Comments welcome........
Gotta ask, did you tell the women at work that race doesn't matter, in the cheap housing prices?.....We both know, Park Forest's death was signaled when public housing was replaced with Section 8....The worst of the ghetto...sent out to infiltrate the once pristine suburbs, like Park Forest....It's Social Engineering and forced integration.....and with the suburban taxpayer's getting screwed with their own money.....I know being politically and socially correct has won out over common sense, but let's be honest about what really happened.....Other than that difference, i like many of your points.....Hard to imagine...homes on Oakwood and Oswego for $24,000.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Park Forest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 27 min Beaver 4,056
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 45 min Sharky 50,066
Phillips 66 in Midlothian 51 min rejochummar 1
Phoenix Fireman Is In A 1% MC Who Robs People 13 hr What A Joke 4
police 14 hr ALover 9
Jimmy's Gentlemen's Club is a joke! 16 hr King Neptune 10
Review; Jimmy's Gentlemen's Club 16 hr King Neptune 11
Park Forest Dating
Find my Match

Park Forest Jobs

Park Forest People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Park Forest News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Park Forest