What is happening to Park Forest, it ...

What is happening to Park Forest, it is going down hill

Posted in the Park Forest Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Kristy

Horsham, PA

#1 Aug 19, 2008
What is going on, this place is getting so bad. The new homes right off Monee road behind the old Stricklers by the Old Hidden Meadow Golf Course is terrible. The kids do not move out the street, they are always blarring music it is awefull, the police need to step it up around here or this is going to be the next Sauk Village. It looks like nothing but low lifes are moving in, and doing what they want.
Lisa

Chicago, IL

#2 Aug 20, 2008
I agree that Park Forest is going down hill. I have been a homeowner for over 15 years. I like the school district 162. I'm trying to remain until my child graduates. I am concerned that I won't be able to find anyone who will be willing to buy a house in Park Forest when I get ready to sell. My street is so horrible I don't let my child go outside to play.
Yummy

Lexington, KY

#3 Aug 25, 2008
Your elected officials are letting you down! It's their fault there's no businesses in Park Forest! The home developments on the golf course are a bad idea. I look for it to get worse. You have a voice let it be heard! Vote them out of office!
Perry

Chicago, IL

#4 Apr 30, 2009
Yummy wrote:
Your elected officials are letting you down! It's their fault there's no businesses in Park Forest! The home developments on the golf course are a bad idea. I look for it to get worse. You have a voice let it be heard! Vote them out of office!
Its alot deeper than elected officials. The entire area of the South Suburbs has been going down for some time. Park Forest was a model Post WWII suburb, the first town developed around an automobile dependent shopping mall.

To find clues as to why Park Forest, and the South Suburbs in general have gone down, the answer might be found in analyzing the the effects of suburban development in the long term.

Former editor of Fortune magazine, William Whyte, wrote about Park Forest in his 1950 book "The Organization Man". Whyte's observations made in his book have only gained strength over time.

Whyte did note that in Park Forest there was a high turnover rate amongst residents, as people recieved promotions etc, they moved up, which often meant moving out.
IMO

Chicago, IL

#5 Apr 30, 2009
The bottom line Park forest has seen the trash pushed out of Chicago move in as all of the South Suburbs. I am sorry, this area is for the lowlives anymore.
Monte

West Palm Beach, FL

#6 May 6, 2009
I lived there all through the 60's and the change has been huge for anyone that remembers back then....the quality of people that shifted in from the southside is the real cause, just nobody wants to admit that....its politically incorrect...sad...
Jessica

Olympia Fields, IL

#7 May 6, 2009
I don't want to rain on anyones parade...but Park Forest has been going downhill for quite some time. It's called Dark Forest and it's crime ridden.
tee-sha

Richton Park, IL

#8 Jun 15, 2009
well I live in park forest and yes just like any other neighborhood you have your share of bad people, but also there are a lot of hard working people out here. The whole world is changing not just Park Forest.!!!!!!!!
Monte

Lake Worth, FL

#9 Jun 16, 2009
tee-sha, how long have you lived there in Park Forest?
Shirley

University Park, IL

#10 Aug 6, 2009
Well, I have lived in Park Forest since 1972 and I could be one of the 'Dark' forest people. Yes, Park Forest has gone down, but so has most of the south suburban area. I am a hard worker and take care of my home. I do wish we could get some business here but when we do the people that live here forget about the business' and shop elsewhere. We can't hold onto business that way and once we can hold onto business...the area will revive.
Jeff

Chicago, IL

#11 Aug 7, 2009
Bixbys just closed.
Go Blue

Lake Worth, FL

#12 Aug 9, 2009
When did the Jewel/Osco on Orchard close? I worked there all through high school. If any of you could have seen it in the 60's, it was really a great place to grow up...
Jeff

Chicago, IL

#13 Aug 10, 2009
Jewel/Osco closed in the late 90's I believe, I could be wrong. Sterks Grocery Store then took it's placed and failed. Now, they have what looks like a mini-mart called "Orchard Somethingoranother..."

Read in the paper that CVS Pharmacy on Western is too close. Great...
Go Blue

Lake Worth, FL

#14 Aug 10, 2009
Jeff, is the plaza completely dead now? Its really hard to believe that all this crap happened to Park Forest, especially for anyone who remembers how vibrant it once was.....somebody on here said it started dying when all the minorities moved down from the innercity...
Jeff

Chicago, IL

#15 Aug 10, 2009
Yeah, the plaza is gone as well as the old clocktower. What they did was put a road cutting through the plaza with storefronts on either side and put up townhouses in the vacant parking lots. In fact, just recently Park Forest has decided to demolish the Marshall Fields building because it's been sitting vacant for so long. Sad times in Park Forest...

Well, there's a lot of factors that have lead to the downfall of Park Forest. Yes, one of them is folks moving in from the inner-city causing long time residents to flee to surrounding suburbs but the biggest problem I see is lack of buisnesses in the community. I don't know what it is but Park Forest doesn't seem very buisness friendly. I remember a time when Park Forest had three grocery stores and now we barely even have one.
Go Blue

Lake Worth, FL

#16 Aug 10, 2009
Shirley wrote:
Well, I have lived in Park Forest since 1972 and I could be one of the 'Dark' forest people. Yes, Park Forest has gone down, but so has most of the south suburban area. I am a hard worker and take care of my home. I do wish we could get some business here but when we do the people that live here forget about the business' and shop elsewhere. We can't hold onto business that way and once we can hold onto business...the area will revive.
Shirley, i am sorry and i don't mean to put down everyone with one broad brush, but if you have been there since 1972, then you had a chance to see what a great place it used to be. I graduated from Rich East in 1970 and moved to Florida the next day. I have driven through several times over the years and have seen it slowly decay. Please tell us more about what it is like to live there now....
Go Blue

Lake Worth, FL

#17 Aug 10, 2009
Jeff, do you still live around there and did you go to Rich East? I guess i will have to be satisfied with all my good memories of how it used to be.....
Go Blue

Lake Worth, FL

#18 Aug 10, 2009
By the way, my stepdad was Frank LaBuda and he managed the bowling alley for years....he had grown up in Chicago Heights and had many friends in the area...i miss him and my mom alot....
Dave

Chicago, IL

#19 Aug 10, 2009
All of the above are right. Sadly, Chicago has purged many of its CHA-sponsored ghettos and sent their inhabitants to the land of affordable (read cheap and old) housing and simple people known as the south suburbs. The result is an economic structure that is completely in the crapper and getting worse. They must've been kidding themselves to think they could revitalize Lincoln Mall. This may be the only mall in the country that can't even support a GAP store or a McDonald's!

That place will never be able to support a first rate clothing store until the south suburbs stops making itself a haven for the underclass lowlifes that Mayor Daley spews out of Chicago.

I pity those poor people who bought those few townhouses over near Vollmer and Cicero. The developers must have realized what the area was turning into and decided to cut bait on that development.

Get used to it folks. Chicago is not rebuilding those project buildings and they will continue to price the poorest of families out of the city and into the south suburbs. And if you think its bad now, wait 'til Chicago wins the Olympics and purges the entire southside from McCormick Place to South Shore.
Jeff

Chicago, IL

#20 Aug 11, 2009
Yep, still live in Park Forest and went to Rich East High School many moons ago.

I remember the bowling alley. Great place.

Do you remember the resturant "Golden Bear" or something like that? The name escapes me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Park Forest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Save A Life? 7 hr E-Vet 3
Oak Forest high school 7 hr Research 6
Pizza in Midlothian 13 hr Nomann 5
The real truth of district 228 17 hr Marcos 9
Review: Public Moving and Storage (Sep '16) 17 hr Mary Abdallah 438
You're an old time Riverdale/Dolton resident if... (Nov '09) Mon Steve in California 1,040
Glenwood Academy - EEOC Investigation for Discr... Jun 25 MoreCasesFiled 37

Park Forest Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Park Forest Mortgages