DeStin Hernandez, 15, seen here with his aunt, Jacqueline Henry

May 26, 2010 Full story: CBS2 22

Share + May 25, 2010 5:55 pm US/Central Reporting Suzanne Le Mignot DOLTON, Ill.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
larrece

Chicago, IL

#1 May 27, 2010
destin hernandez was one of my best friends in its very heart breaking to know someone you knew died like that i just saw him in to hear that a person u knew for a long time is dead it hurt u very bad cause i know it hurt me i can not stop crying in thats coming form the heart
Vee vee

Dolton, IL

#2 May 27, 2010
I didn't know Destin, but it's so sad that his life was cut short due to unnecessary violence. I attedned Thronridge years ago, and lived in Dolton all my life, and over the years the violence has become more intense.I'm afarid for my daughter now because she will be going to school this year. It scares me to let her go out and play. My prayers go out to Destin's family and friends.
Need Help

Chicago, IL

#3 May 27, 2010
Our prayer march is Saturday at 10:00 a.m. We will meet at the Abudant Life Center - 14806 S. Chicago Road to begin. Please referr your contacts to www.belovedprayercommunity.blogspot.com and ask them to subscribe to the campaign.
Coco1194

Rockford, IL

#4 May 27, 2010
I didn't know Destin either, but it's crazy to just hear how another innocent person's life is just taken away because of unnecessary violence. He didn't even get the chance to live his life yet. That's the main thing that's hurting me. He touched so many people. I'm just sad his life had to be taken away so soon. Rest In Peace Destin Hernandez.! You are in a much better place. I'm praying for his family because I know they are having a very hard time dealing with this.
Dasia

Chicago, IL

#5 May 27, 2010
I knew Destin. He was very sweet and intelligent. Best of all, he was a great friend. I really loved him and I know the feeling was mutual.
Ciara

South Holland, IL

#6 May 28, 2010
Destin was one of my closes friends. H e was smart funny cute and was always on top of his game. It hurts to know he is gone but we will meet again. love you and miss you much Destin. Rest in Peace.
Miss Eyes of Dolton

Calumet City, IL

#7 May 29, 2010
We pray for Destin, his family and friends, may justice be served for the person responsible. If anyone knows of any crime, Please report it. If you don't feel safe report it anonymously or contact the local news so they will cover it, and help others to come forward. The more attention we draw the more likely the State Police, and or Feds will become involved to help SOLVE crimes. The victim shot and killed last night first name is said to be Quan, If anyone knows details or has a correction please post so that Dolton citizens can be informed and on the alert for crime and potential crime. May God have Mercy and Protect Dolton and its Youth from violence!
nia

Chicago, IL

#8 May 29, 2010
i knew destin he was so sweet and kind but hes in a better place and he didnt die because he did something wrong he died because God knew that was the time for him and i hope his family sees it that way because God knew that that was the time for him
Diamond Guider

Hazel Crest, IL

#9 May 31, 2010
i knew destin he was a great friend always kept me laughin no matta wat da situation was i miss him so much but life is crazy i havent seen him a week but it seem like we were 2getha yesterday.
life is jus 2 short
diamond

Harvey, IL

#10 May 31, 2010
i knew destin through friends and already knew him he was a great friend can always make someone laugh but knowing he gone i lost a part of me he likea brother i never had ily destin
pjw

Hazel Crest, IL

#11 Jun 2, 2010
I didn't really know destin but ima man and ima respect my dues are. Restinpeace destin
Need Help

Chicago, IL

#12 Jun 3, 2010
I don't know Destin, but i have a son. As a mother, it is really heartbreaking to have to worry about your kids just being in the neighborhood. I remember when playing outside with your friends didn't automaticaly get you labeled as trouble. As a matter of fact, our parents MADE us stay outside-ALL day! But we weren't doing anything more than what you all were doing, hanging out with friends, flirting, going to the store a hundred times a day. But the difference was that our parents and the other adults in our neighborhood made it safe for us to do so.

I hope that if any of the younger generation is really upset with the way things are going, you find a way to get together and tell the Village Board of Trustees that you want them to protect you. And don't let them bully you into thinking that its your fault these bad things are happening.

Adults are responsible for the children in the community, whether they gave birth to them or not. Just like you wouldn't let your best friend get jumped regardless if that person was talking to you, the police and mayor should make the neighborhood safe, not let people just hang out selling drugs, loose squares, liquor and anything else.

If you know of somebody that is doing a crime or talking about doing a crime, even it its an adult, talk to somebody at one of the churches if you don't trust the police. Join SAVE (Students Against Violence Everywhere), or start your own group.
JesusHelpUs

Dolton, IL

#13 Jun 3, 2010
Need Help wrote:
I don't know Destin, but i have a son. As a mother, it is really heartbreaking to have to worry about your kids just being in the neighborhood. I remember when playing outside with your friends didn't automaticaly get you labeled as trouble. As a matter of fact, our parents MADE us stay outside-ALL day! But we weren't doing anything more than what you all were doing, hanging out with friends, flirting, going to the store a hundred times a day. But the difference was that our parents and the other adults in our neighborhood made it safe for us to do so.
I hope that if any of the younger generation is really upset with the way things are going, you find a way to get together and tell the Village Board of Trustees that you want them to protect you. And don't let them bully you into thinking that its your fault these bad things are happening.
Adults are responsible for the children in the community, whether they gave birth to them or not. Just like you wouldn't let your best friend get jumped regardless if that person was talking to you, the police and mayor should make the neighborhood safe, not let people just hang out selling drugs, loose squares, liquor and anything else.
If you know of somebody that is doing a crime or talking about doing a crime, even it its an adult, talk to somebody at one of the churches if you don't trust the police. Join SAVE (Students Against Violence Everywhere), or start your own group.
My heart goes out to Destin Hernandez and his family. He was a beautful boy, he was on the right track, from everything I've read and his parents were raising him to go in the right direction!

It takes more than the MAYOR and POLICE to make a city of 30,000 people safe!!!!!! If the young people don't like what's going on they should stop aiding to the problem or serving as an infection to the monstrous virus!!!!! Tell, when you see your peers doing wrong (selling drugs, drinking/driving, gang-activity)! It is a shame before God....that so many parents in this community, are not raising their children properly. They can't take direction nor correction. However, when their kids get out of hand, it's the police/mayor's fault, instead of the people who are responsible for their upbringing. There's only so much the village of Dolton can do.

As a resident of Dolton we have experienced a mad rush of new residents, who are on Section 8 and have brought that ghetto mentality here. Many of them don't even work!!! They don't take care of their property, drink, curse, and loiter. I'm tired of it. Numerous complaints have been brought forth...but what can the village do, when we need so many resources and aren't getting grant money to suffice our needs!!! If you got only 5-6 cars serving the community at night and you have 20 calls, do the math, what do you think is going to happen?
Miss Eyes of Dolton

Calumet City, IL

#14 Jun 4, 2010
JesusHelpUs wrote:
<quoted text>
My heart goes out to Destin Hernandez and his family. He was a beautful boy, he was on the right track, from everything I've read and his parents were raising him to go in the right direction!
It takes more than the MAYOR and POLICE to make a city of 30,000 people safe!!!!!! If the young people don't like what's going on they should stop aiding to the problem or serving as an infection to the monstrous virus!!!!! Tell, when you see your peers doing wrong (selling drugs, drinking/driving, gang-activity)! It is a shame before God....that so many parents in this community, are not raising their children properly. They can't take direction nor correction. However, when their kids get out of hand, it's the police/mayor's fault, instead of the people who are responsible for their upbringing. There's only so much the village of Dolton can do.
As a resident of Dolton we have experienced a mad rush of new residents, who are on Section 8 and have brought that ghetto mentality here. Many of them don't even work!!! They don't take care of their property, drink, curse, and loiter. I'm tired of it. Numerous complaints have been brought forth...but what can the village do, when we need so many resources and aren't getting grant money to suffice our needs!!! If you got only 5-6 cars serving the community at night and you have 20 calls, do the math, what do you think is going to happen?
Qualified Law Enforcement would help! Chief Fox has been asked to resign, We're off to a Good Start, Next!!!
TARyN

United States

#15 Jun 13, 2010
wow dhis soooooo crazy and soooo sad mah heart goes out to Destin Hernandez and his family, even though i didnt know him i still cant believe this happened he didnt do anything to anybody. everytime i hear his name or see his face i just cry because i cant believe he gone..... now that im writing this i cant stop crying and it hurts me soooo much...... ily Destin and that comes from my heart.

houseofdavid

Dolton, IL

#16 Jun 26, 2010
There is an epidemic. We must be concerned about our young people. Without them there is no future. The so called bad apples need to be helped, not condemned. None of us are better than anyone else and we must show love and respect for each other.
BJ in town

Elk Grove Village, IL

#17 Jun 27, 2010
houseofdavid wrote:
There is an epidemic. We must be concerned about our young people. Without them there is no future. The so called bad apples need to be helped, not condemned. None of us are better than anyone else and we must show love and respect for each other.
This is why there is an epidemic out here. No one is holding these young people accountable. They smack them on the wrist and put them right back on the street to do it to someone else who may be innocent the first time. It is a shame they have no respect for life, or for anyone else. Where are the parents in all this?- you could be next, like just when they don't get what they want. Help stop it now.
LordHelpUs

Dolton, IL

#18 Jun 27, 2010
BJ in town wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why there is an epidemic out here. No one is holding these young people accountable. They smack them on the wrist and put them right back on the street to do it to someone else who may be innocent the first time. It is a shame they have no respect for life, or for anyone else. Where are the parents in all this?- you could be next, like just when they don't get what they want. Help stop it now.
I couldn't agree with you more. I get tired of these youths that are causing trouble, not being held accountable for their wrong doings. You can go back to the last 3 years of posts on this forum and it's always someone blaming society, teachers and especially law-enforcement for what ever goes wrong! Right is right.....wrong is wrong and no one is condemning anyone when you speak of what is true. And what is true, is that their are an influx of thugs moving from the inner city, due to Daley tearing down the projects. These thugs are half-raised and have no respect for anyone, including themselves. You can't help those who don't want to be help. Instead of walking down the streets acting like thugs, none of them take an interest to seek summer-time employment. What happened to cutting grass, filling out an application at fast-food chains, seeking employment at a movie theater, or to be a life-guard? I see for help signs, in Target/Walmart/Grocery Chains! I could go on and on. Working difinitely eliminates an idle mind/hands. However, they rather hang out, be disruptive, steal, sell-drugs and terrorize!!!!!!!!!! Then their ignorant parents and other enablers blames the community for not having activities. If Dolton receive monies to build a recreation center and such, all they would do is act up there also!!! Because they have no couth and correct upbringing! First they would have to be deprogrammed from the thug mentality in order to appreciate anything!
Shadow Knows

Harvey, IL

#19 Jun 30, 2010
Lord Help Us, these thugs have no jobs because no one will hire them. They probably can't read, write legibly, or have a valid ID, and then the clothes they wear who would hire them looking like that. To say some of us are not better than that i beg to differ, no one wants a slop job hanging around them. A white t-shirt and jeans or pants on the ass is no way to present yourself. I am afraid of them myself and afraid to offer them help. I feel bad that they chose this way fo living. Lets put a test up to the vulgar music and videos they look at. Black artist glorify the ugly and all of dont sing or rap, or even enjoy that stuff. The young that is to be our future is fine, there are only so many in this craze of shooting and killing and maybe they will all be gone soon or our new president can send them off to fight our wars. I pray for change for the youth everyday and that I get back home safely and the other families here as well.
JR in town

Palos Hills, IL

#20 Jul 2, 2010
Shadow Knows wrote:
Lord Help Us, these thugs have no jobs because no one will hire them. They probably can't read, write legibly, or have a valid ID, and then the clothes they wear who would hire them looking like that. To say some of us are not better than that i beg to differ, no one wants a slop job hanging around them. A white t-shirt and jeans or pants on the ass is no way to present yourself. I am afraid of them myself and afraid to offer them help. I feel bad that they chose this way fo living. Lets put a test up to the vulgar music and videos they look at. Black artist glorify the ugly and all of dont sing or rap, or even enjoy that stuff. The young that is to be our future is fine, there are only so many in this craze of shooting and killing and maybe they will all be gone soon or our new president can send them off to fight our wars. I pray for change for the youth everyday and that I get back home safely and the other families here as well.
So what going on with the people who killed this young man?
If you know someone is in jail might keep someone from harming another young person.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Park Forest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Long Whistles 53 min concenedworried c... 3
Bengal Football.., 9 hr Dave 71
AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) 9 hr IUEC 7,564
Former Midlothian cop convicted striking man wi... 14 hr Someone in da know 22
park dist vote 16 hr tough 2
police (Apr '14) Tue Mike 15
Midlo.Park District 2 Commissioners Up for Re-e... Tue Go4It Chuck 53
Park Forest Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web