Sheriff posts video of controversial ...

Sheriff posts video of controversial traffic stop - The Park Record

There are 54 comments on the Park Record story from Dec 16, 2011, titled Sheriff posts video of controversial traffic stop - The Park Record. In it, Park Record reports that:

The Summit County Sheriff's office has released a videotape of the traffic stop made Sunday, Dec.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Park Record.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Parkrecord is a joke

Rawlins, WY

#1 Dec 16, 2011
Nan Noaker, I am calling you out!!!!!. You wrote a one sided story about a deputy that was doing his job and doing it well. Your crappy article has defamed the deputy and you owe him an apology. Get your crap together before writing an article like that. Apologize publicly NOW!
NIce

Rawlins, WY

#2 Dec 16, 2011
So all the negative things said about the Sheriff's Office and the deputy were a little premature. The deputy is a volunteer firefighter, an on call EMT in the Kamas Valley and also a dedicated public servant and it took a video to prove he did his job and did it well. Shame on those of you with negative references related to the previous article.
Lumpy

Clearfield, UT

#3 Dec 17, 2011
Headline: Park Record = exposé journalism akin to the "globe" or "inquirer" just minus the racey panty shots of Brittany Spears...

You've lost a lot of trust over this one and proven once again that your journalistic integrity is a joke! Maybe the Record will learn to check its facts, before riling up the locals on a witch hunt simi "liar" to that of a B rate Frankenstien flick. Video doesn't lie vs. Park Record does! Change your name to the Park City Tattler it would be more fitting.

It really sucks when I want to support a local community paper but it keeps pulling these under researched and sham stories out of its hat. Quit dividing the community with the trash you call journalism and maybe one day you can win my print subscription back.
Dog Walker

Ogden, UT

#4 Dec 17, 2011
I have to agree agree that Nan really blew it on this one. The original story generated 116 comments in this forum (far more than any other story this month) and nearly all comments were negative toward the police officer, effectively "riling up" the public against the police force which is there to serve it. Nan needs to make a more public and pointed apology to the officer, rather than just running the second article reporting on the video that exonarates him.
Bob Derber Park Meadows

South Jordan, UT

#5 Dec 17, 2011
I suspect the guy who really blew it was the one who made the exaggerated claims in the first place. I was quite pleased with Sheriff Edmund's response even were the original allegations true. They were courteous and showed concern over the matter.
not one-sided

Salt Lake City, UT

#6 Dec 17, 2011
I have to disagree to some extent. In the first article, the sheriff was interviewed and responded. At that time he should have said, "This isn't how it happened" and given the facts. Had he done that, it wouldn't have been a story. The paper interviewed both 'sides' and one side apparently exaggerated their claims... but if the other side doesn't deny that and offer the truth, why wouldn't they run it as they have it? Sheriff Edmunds should have investigated immediately and presented this tape as evidence for the first interview. Then, this would have never made the paper and gotten everyone so riled up to begin with!
Juice lap

United States

#7 Dec 17, 2011
Like I said to begin with. This pharmacist is nothing more than a loudmouth who wasn't even there. Same goes for the park record, a "newspaper" my dogs won't even let me use to pick up their poo. This isn't the first time the park record fired from the hip without proper research. Without stories like these, the park record has nothing to write about. Their bush league "reporters" have nothing better to do than write this slanted nonsense and the usual gang of drug addicted trust funders eat it up.
Steve

Park City, UT

#8 Dec 17, 2011
Juice lap wrote:
Their bush league "reporters" have nothing better to do than write this slanted nonsense and the usual gang of drug addicted trust funders eat it up.
You should stop making generalizations about the people of PC. Try to be a bit more positive, you know? An anger management counselor might be able to help you channel your emotions more constructively.
Steve

Park City, UT

#9 Dec 17, 2011
I do agree the newspaper could be doing a much better job, but we're not all rich or 'trust funders' or on drugs.
Juice lap

United States

#10 Dec 17, 2011
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
You should stop making generalizations about the people of PC. Try to be a bit more positive, you know? An anger management counselor might be able to help you channel your emotions more constructively.
I prefer to mock those who post stupid comments on this forum. Generally speaking (is that better?), where are are all of the drug addicted, trust funding, gutter snipes who were so quick to attack the character of this deputy. Now that he's clearly exhonorated, they're no where to be found. Go figure.
victimized too

Salt Lake City, UT

#11 Dec 17, 2011
I was stopped last year for paper thin reason which led to my being arrested on a warrant for a single parking ticket less than 6 months old and held unbondable even though I had never been arrested before nor had any kind of criminal record at all! The reason I was pulled over was failure to yield to an officer. I have seen this offense occur almost as many times as I have seen an officer pulled over with the lights on in Summit County! I have heard, from people whom would know, that Summit County Sheriffs are told to pull over anyone for even the slightest offense in order to generate revenue which is totally unconstitutional! In the 2 years I've lived up here I have noticed that it is the unfortunate souls unable to afford shiny brand new vehicles that end up parked in front of the officer with lights blazing on the side of the road. Usually someone driving a 2011 audi or whatever speeds by the traffic stop in the right lane 10 m.p.h. over the speed limit as well.
Bottom line is the Sheriffs of Summit County DO bully , intimidate, harrass, & unfairly persecute low income & ethnic minority individuals as a standard practice. I know they would never admit to it & plenty of Parkites will refuse to believe it, but it IS happening DAILY!
Are you serious

Denver, CO

#12 Dec 17, 2011
Juice lap wrote:
<quoted text>
I prefer to mock those who post stupid comments on this forum. Generally speaking (is that better?), where are are all of the drug addicted, trust funding, gutter snipes who were so quick to attack the character of this deputy. Now that he's clearly exhonorated, they're no where to be found. Go figure.
So true Juice. Where is Upper Case Dick when we need him? Im sure he is lips deep in the green cloud. The truth is, Nan Noaker is a total loser who should publicly apologize to the deputy and not just on this blog. Grow some Nan and get this done. You wrote a sh***y article and only focused on one side of the truth. Now it comes out that the deputy did nothing wrong and you Nan are nowhere to be found. You and your paper suck.
Are you serious

Denver, CO

#13 Dec 17, 2011
victimized too wrote:
I was stopped last year for paper thin reason which led to my being arrested on a warrant for a single parking ticket less than 6 months old and held unbondable even though I had never been arrested before nor had any kind of criminal record at all! The reason I was pulled over was failure to yield to an officer. I have seen this offense occur almost as many times as I have seen an officer pulled over with the lights on in Summit County! I have heard, from people whom would know, that Summit County Sheriffs are told to pull over anyone for even the slightest offense in order to generate revenue which is totally unconstitutional! In the 2 years I've lived up here I have noticed that it is the unfortunate souls unable to afford shiny brand new vehicles that end up parked in front of the officer with lights blazing on the side of the road. Usually someone driving a 2011 audi or whatever speeds by the traffic stop in the right lane 10 m.p.h. over the speed limit as well.
Bottom line is the Sheriffs of Summit County DO bully , intimidate, harrass, & unfairly persecute low income & ethnic minority individuals as a standard practice. I know they would never admit to it & plenty of Parkites will refuse to believe it, but it IS happening DAILY!
I to have been bullied. I mean I was driving down the road drinking a bottle of beer when all the sudden there were BLAZING light behind me. I pulled over and the officer made me get out of the car and walk on one leg and there I was in hand cuffs and going to jail. Oh and I had a warrant that was only like a few days old and I had never been arrested before.

Effing idiot. How do you think people begin their criminal histories. If you got stopped for a crime, you had warrant and you went to jail, don't blame the officer for what you did. How about take some credit for your dumb a** and admit it was you in the wrong and not the cop.
Juice lap

United States

#14 Dec 17, 2011
victimized too wrote:
I was stopped last year for paper thin reason which led to my being arrested on a warrant for a single parking ticket less than 6 months old and held unbondable even though I had never been arrested before nor had any kind of criminal record at all! The reason I was pulled over was failure to yield to an officer. I have seen this offense occur almost as many times as I have seen an officer pulled over with the lights on in Summit County! I have heard, from people whom would know, that Summit County Sheriffs are told to pull over anyone for even the slightest offense in order to generate revenue which is totally unconstitutional! In the 2 years I've lived up here I have noticed that it is the unfortunate souls unable to afford shiny brand new vehicles that end up parked in front of the officer with lights blazing on the side of the road. Usually someone driving a 2011 audi or whatever speeds by the traffic stop in the right lane 10 m.p.h. over the speed limit as well.
Bottom line is the Sheriffs of Summit County DO bully , intimidate, harrass, & unfairly persecute low income & ethnic minority individuals as a standard practice. I know they would never admit to it & plenty of Parkites will refuse to believe it, but it IS happening DAILY!
More speculation. Blah blah blah.
Juice lap

United States

#15 Dec 17, 2011
...and I like how the pr's headline continues to refer to this as controversial. Wrong, yet again.
J Robbins

Park City, UT

#16 Dec 18, 2011
As a Park City resident I was outraged by the initial story that ran in The Park Record under the title of "Deputy tells woman to get out of car and walk". After reading this article I thought 'there has to be more to the story'. It appeared to be very one-sided. After viewing the tape that the Sheriff's Department posted on this incident I can confirm my suspicions that the article was indeed one-sided and factually inaccurate in a number of ways. I am disappointed that The Park Record does not more thoroughly check its sources before publishing information as fact.
The tape brought to light several glaring errors that were alleged in the original article.
First, the article said the stop was by Bear Hollow which would have been several miles from the woman's work. The stop was actually at Payday a very short distance from her place of employment. If she did have to walk it would not have been the far distance originally stated.
Second, there did not appear to be a snowstorm at the time.
Third, the officer never told her she needed to walk to work. He asked her if she wanted to walk, take the bus, or could she call someone to come get her.
Fourth, she never spent more than a minute or two out of the vehicle, and it wasn't at the deputies prodding. It looks like she voluntarily got out of the vehicle for a short while to question the other officer. I never saw her standing out of her vehicle for ten minutes hopelessly waiting for her employer to arrive. In fact, her employer arrived shortly after she excited her vehicle.
Fifth, it appears that the Park City officer who stopped her may have cited her and was very clear that she should no longer be driving the car until she was able to get it registered and that doing so could result in it being impounded. She knew the risks.
I think the Park Record owes Deputy Crnich an apology for presenting an article that made him out to be something he was far from being. The original article was published without proper source checking, which in my opinion, is inexcusable. Should he have offered her a ride? Maybe, but it does not appear to me that he treated her disrespectfully or intimidated her in any way.
His actions were warranted. After all, her tags were five months expired. He was simply doing his job and he shouldn't be made out to be the bad guy for that.
out of limits

Draper, UT

#17 Dec 18, 2011
+1, What J. Robbins said.
Arla Baragar

Park City, UT

#18 Dec 18, 2011
I wish the public had been aware of the Citizen's Advisory Board during the winter of 2010/11 when the residents of our condo building were dealing with incidents of multiple main building break-ins by inebriated unknowns; unit kitchen fire (setting off fire alarms in the middle of the night# created by inebriated #passed out# unknowns; the residents #including children# of 7 out of 8 units being kept awake all night on multiple occassions by the noise/music/buzzing all the units/et al created by inebriated unknowns. The Sheriff's personal response to me was #out of context quote)"there may be a few misconceptions about what actions constitute criminal behavoir" (end of out of context quote). Not knowing who to turn to - as we know longer felt safe in our own homes - we sent a copy of our complaints and the response to the County Council and copied the Sheriff with same. An invitation was extended to him for a rep to attend our upcoming HOA meeting to fully explain the definition of "criminal behavoir" as it relates to a secure condo building. A young offer was sent however it seemed he had no idea of our concerns and the definition was never explained. It was stated it was the HOA's problem. Sadly - even tho the HOA was attempting to correct the issue - because we all felt insecure about our physical safety and the safety of the real estate we own (fire?) and because we no longer had any faith in law enforcement support it became a resident "citizen's" vigilante environment with each of us taking turns patrolling the building all night armed with whatever each of us felt confident in legally owning (I was 69 yrs old at the time). Ultimately the rental unit was vacated after ski season, the owner was heavily fined, the doors/locks/etc were repaired, 2 owners moved out - both families to another county. If we had been informed by either the Sheriff or County Council of the existance your committee at the time we were dealing with all of this - we may not harbor the animosity we do regarding the Sheriff's dept and the intense feeling that we will not be able to look to that dept for our safety concerns.
Park City

Draper, UT

#19 Dec 18, 2011
Arla Baragar wrote:
I wish the public had been aware of the Citizen's Advisory Board during the winter of 2010/11 when the residents of our condo building were dealing with incidents of multiple main building break-ins by inebriated unknowns; unit kitchen fire (setting off fire alarms in the middle of the night# created by inebriated #passed out# unknowns; the residents #including children# of 7 out of 8 units being kept awake all night on multiple occassions by the noise/music/buzzing all the units/et al created by inebriated unknowns. The Sheriff's personal response to me was #out of context quote)"there may be a few misconceptions about what actions constitute criminal behavoir" (end of out of context quote). Not knowing who to turn to - as we know longer felt safe in our own homes - we sent a copy of our complaints and the response to the County Council and copied the Sheriff with same. An invitation was extended to him for a rep to attend our upcoming HOA meeting to fully explain the definition of "criminal behavoir" as it relates to a secure condo building. A young offer was sent however it seemed he had no idea of our concerns and the definition was never explained. It was stated it was the HOA's problem. Sadly - even tho the HOA was attempting to correct the issue - because we all felt insecure about our physical safety and the safety of the real estate we own (fire?) and because we no longer had any faith in law enforcement support it became a resident "citizen's" vigilante environment with each of us taking turns patrolling the building all night armed with whatever each of us felt confident in legally owning (I was 69 yrs old at the time). Ultimately the rental unit was vacated after ski season, the owner was heavily fined, the doors/locks/etc were repaired, 2 owners moved out - both families to another county. If we had been informed by either the Sheriff or County Council of the existance your committee at the time we were dealing with all of this - we may not harbor the animosity we do regarding the Sheriff's dept and the intense feeling that we will not be able to look to that dept for our safety concerns.
What is your point?
DudleyDoright

Kamas, UT

#20 Dec 18, 2011
Wonder why there is so little respect for the media?
They assassinate the deputies character with, as we learned, FALSE and LIBELOUS accusations that they parroted from someone who wasn't there. When the truth comes out, via video, do they make a correction? NO. Apparently, the PR is too big and too important to apologize. I hope the deputy sues the PR and the clown that ran to the paper with his second-hand fake story.

Shame on the PR for this shoddy "journalism" and shame on those that jumped on those in the public and on this board that used the occasion of a fake "story" to attack this deputy.

Thank goodness there was video. YOU crucified this deputy based on LIES. Shame on each and every one of you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Park City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Redford avoids politics as Sundance opens on ev... Jan '17 Rev Cash Dollar 1
News Canadian films bound for Sundance festival incl... Jan '17 hjdutjdt 1
News James Franco's Gay Drama 'I Am Michael' Opens N... Dec '16 TomInElPaso 6
News Daniel Radcliffe calls Hollywood racism 'undeni... Oct '16 Dumbledore Jizz W... 13
News Julie Delpy apologizes for comments about Afric... (Jan '16) Aug '16 Spotted Girl 25
Twin power yoga park city (Nov '14) Jun '16 Duffy 10
saw this gem, thought I'd pass it on: (May '16) May '16 Yoga Flame 1

Park City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Park City Mortgages