Teenager driver sentenced to communit...

Teenager driver sentenced to community service - The Park Record

There are 22 comments on the Park Record story from Dec 13, 2011, titled Teenager driver sentenced to community service - The Park Record. In it, Park Record reports that:

The 16-year-old driver who struck Silver Creek resident Lacey Picard on September 5 was sentenced to 175 hours of community service and placed on probation by a judge on Friday, a sentence that is much too light according to Lacey's father, Hans Picard.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Park Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
no justice for Lacey

Ogden, UT

#1 Dec 13, 2011
Wow, that's the craziest thing i've heard!! She has taken Lacey's livelyhood and almost her life!! The horse got more justice!! "because the teenager was visibly remorseful and had been punishing herself enough." Ok, i'll remember this next time i get a parking ticket!!
Sorry Lacey!!
Local

Salt Lake City, UT

#2 Dec 13, 2011
I think this young womens punishment should be to speak at PCHS and tell her peers to get off the cell phones and Ipods. Maybe after seeing one of their peers take the life of a horse and change the life of an athletic women it might put some sense into these kids.They think nothing can happen to them but only when a tragedy happens do they wake up. Personally I think if they are caught on cell phones they should lose the license until 21. they think driving is a right not a privilage.
woobie

Park City, UT

#3 Dec 13, 2011
Bummer....
SLC friend

Salt Lake City, UT

#4 Dec 13, 2011
The girl's license should have been revoked for her entire life as a daily reminder of having ruined Lacey's life. There is no reason why this young woman should EVER get behind the wheel of a vehicle again.
Park City

Draper, UT

#5 Dec 14, 2011
SLC friend wrote:
The girl's license should have been revoked for her entire life as a daily reminder of having ruined Lacey's life. There is no reason why this young woman should EVER get behind the wheel of a vehicle again.
A bit harsh.. 21 perhaps..
Parkite

Saint George, UT

#6 Dec 14, 2011
Brickley should loose his job for this!
Parkite

Saint George, UT

#7 Dec 14, 2011
Park City wrote:
<quoted text>
A bit harsh.. 21 perhaps..
"a bit harsh"? Are you being serious?
Benny

Ogden, UT

#8 Dec 14, 2011
Wonder who her daddy knows??
Steak President

Draper, UT

#9 Dec 14, 2011
Benny wrote:
Wonder who her daddy knows??
Elder May, that's who.
Silver Creek Neighbor

Salt Lake City, UT

#10 Dec 14, 2011
There but for the grace of GOD... I hope that all the people and their families, who write nasty things about a really nice family, never have an accident in their lives.
Comical

Park City, UT

#11 Dec 14, 2011
"Laser said the restitution will be a serious financial burden on the teenager, one that will follow her around for the rest of her life."

I hope it does! Really, she hasn't even visited her yet?! Nothing against the girl personally, but the restitution should not be dependent on how "remorseful, she seems." Whats done is done, it's not about the rest of "her" life, but the rest of the victim's life. I can undrstand the protective father angle, but I hope her father/lawyer can keep in perspective the lives, other than his daughter, who have been affected, as it clearly seems he doesn't.
Carlos

Salt Lake City, UT

#12 Dec 14, 2011
I got hit by a hit and run snowboarder (17 years old) at the canyons few years ago. I got 8 stitches over my eyebrow and almost lost of my eye, he got cut by ski patrol, I try to sue him for damages a judge locally told me to pound sand and to not don't even try to sue because he was under age.
The kid is probably still laughing.

Liberal Park City justice at it's best.

This is our future get defensive:

Among 12th graders, 36.4 percent said they smoked marijuana in the past year and 6.6 percent reported daily use, it found.

Marijuana use among teens rose in 2011 for the fourth straight year -- a sharp contrast to a dramatic decline that occurred in the preceding decade.

Daily marijuana use is at a 30-year peak level among high school seniors, the survey found.

Parents pay attention specially if you don't smoke with them!

Add to this to use of cell phones texting and etc

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/12/14/surv...

Freeze Dried

West Jordan, UT

#13 Dec 14, 2011
Carlos wrote:
I got hit by a hit and run snowboarder (17 years old) at the canyons few years ago. I got 8 stitches over my eyebrow and almost lost of my eye, he got cut by ski patrol, I try to sue him for damages a judge locally told me to pound sand and to not don't even try to sue because he was under age.
The kid is probably still laughing.
Liberal Park City justice at it's best.
This is our future get defensive:
Among 12th graders, 36.4 percent said they smoked marijuana in the past year and 6.6 percent reported daily use, it found.
Marijuana use among teens rose in 2011 for the fourth straight year -- a sharp contrast to a dramatic decline that occurred in the preceding decade.
Daily marijuana use is at a 30-year peak level among high school seniors, the survey found.
Parents pay attention specially if you don't smoke with them!
Add to this to use of cell phones texting and etc
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/12/14/surv...
Blah blah blah
Judge for sale

West Jordan, UT

#14 Dec 14, 2011
So how much do you have to pay to have your irresponsible actions forgiven? She shouldn't be able to drive until 21 at least. It's really sad...
repgirl

West Jordan, UT

#15 Dec 14, 2011
I'm shocked by how harsh the comments are toward the 16 yr old driver. She is just a kid. She made a horrible mistake that the victim, the victims family and she herself and her family will have to live with for the rest of their lives. This is a horrible tragedy that could have been prevented yes, but mistakes and accidents happen to people every day. My son is turning 16 a week before Christmas and will be getting his license. He would never intentionally hurt anyone but I would hope if he ever accidentally did by making a bad choice that I would never have to read such hateful things directed toward him.
Fins

West Jordan, UT

#16 Dec 15, 2011
Repgirl, it's nice to read a voice of reason, compassion and understanding on this blog.
If only the anger of the other bloggers was directed at the Utah legislature for not passing a law against ANY use of electronics while driving. They bear some responsibility in this tragedy.
Park City

Draper, UT

#17 Dec 15, 2011
Fins wrote:
Repgirl, it's nice to read a voice of reason, compassion and understanding on this blog.
If only the anger of the other bloggers was directed at the Utah legislature for not passing a law against ANY use of electronics while driving. They bear some responsibility in this tragedy.
Agreed. However, enforcing it is the real issue I'm afraid.
Lisa

Ogden, UT

#18 Dec 15, 2011
I understand we've all made mistakes, but i think when your mistakes cause crippling harm to others, punishment should match the crime and to be honest - This does not fit! Community Service and "Order" this 16 yr old to visit her victim just isnt enough! Your telling me she hasnt apologized yet OR paid Lacey a visit?? I think those of you who think others are being too harsh with the comments need to step back and say "What if that was my loved one hurt/killed by her mistake?" you wouldnt be soo sympathetic!
mark

Kaysville, UT

#19 Dec 15, 2011
sorry, if you can't see a horse and rider in front of you, kills the horse and changes the life of the victim (and yes daddy, I do mean victim)forever and she is just a "kid" give me a break....oh and she hasn't visited her! The MN case that caused a 37 car accident showed that the driver had text 11 times in 11 minutes, poor "kid", how can you not see a horse?
Kate

Fort Collins, CO

#20 Dec 15, 2011
I'm glad that Mr. Picard has asked the driver and her family to pay medical bills. The cost of Lacey's care has been and will be astronomical, and her family should not bear that burden alone. It's the least they can do. Seeing Lacey is something she will never forget. Perhaps the young driver can also go to high schools and tell her story, in the hopes that other young drivers will not repeat her error. Better yet, perhaps this coming year will be the year that the Legislature finally restricts electronic handheld devices. At the very least, keep them out of the hands of new and inexperienced drivers. Though God knows a lot of experienced drivers have hurt and killed people by being distracted by their electronic 'blankies'. Come to think of it, maybe that's why no legislation has been passed...the lawmakers couldn't bear to give them up either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Park City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Metaphors in the Torah: Chayei Sarah Part 2 Jun 28 rabbee yehoshooah... 1
Twin power yoga park city (Nov '14) Jun '16 Duffy 10
saw this gem, thought I'd pass it on: May '16 Yoga Flame 1
News Dr. Dumb May '16 Three Days 1
Debate: Marijuana - Park City, UT (Aug '10) Apr '16 Wiley 15
i miss you (Mar '06) Mar '16 Suzanna Jayne Macon 9
News Why we're all talking about Mitt Romney again (Feb '14) Feb '16 kuda 5

Park City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance