Chris Maddux, revered teacher, dies -...

Chris Maddux, revered teacher, dies - The Park Record

There are 39 comments on the Park Record story from Apr 29, 2011, titled Chris Maddux, revered teacher, dies - The Park Record. In it, Park Record reports that:

Students, teachers and administrators in the Park City School District are mourning the loss of Chris Maddux, long-time media instructor at Park City High School , who died Thursday of colon cancer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Park Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dominick PS

West Jordan, UT

#21 Apr 30, 2011
Chis aka Mr Maddux Changed/Touched so many of our lives. He was truly an special person. One of those teachers few people are ever blessed enough to have and those who were lucky enough are forever influenced by him. He molded so many of us into better people and encouraged us to express ourselves artistically, and ultimately peruse our dream careers no matter how difficult the road.

I don't think I have ever met someone who can lay claim to mentoring as many people as he did. One thing I always found amazing was the sheer number of past students who would come back to visit him. After graduating I found myself joining that legion of people who could not help but feel the urge to come visit him. As many who did will testify, no matter how old you were/are, you would get the same "Hey Kid" he used to greet past students...

I will always cherish the times I had with my friend Chris Maddux.
Amy Foster

Champlin, MN

#22 Apr 30, 2011
Mr. Maddux was one of a kind. He was a wonderful teacher, mentor and friend and is the reason I was a broadcast news major in college. I credit him with a lot of the successes I have achieved today. He taught each of us the importance of hard work, dedication and team work. He will be missed, but his legacy will forever live on throughout the high school and the communities where his past students live and work. Thoughts and prayers are with his family through this tough time.
Bailey Sullivan

Los Angeles, CA

#23 Apr 30, 2011
Mr. Maddux was an amazing teacher and it is heart breaking to hear that Park City has lost yet another great person. I had the pleasure of having him as a teacher and though I was not the most technologically savvy student, he made me feel very welcome in the classroom along with many other students. He will truly be missed and can never be replaced! My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

"what did the General do with his armies?"
"He put them in his sleevies"
- a joke by the incredible Mr. Maddux
Jeannie

Aurora, CO

#24 Apr 30, 2011
Mr Maddux was an awesome teacher and father. We will miss you! My heart goes out to his family
Matt W

Seattle, WA

#25 Apr 30, 2011
Maddux also taught in Racine, WI and I'm sure all of his Prairie School students would have as many, if not more, kind things to say about such a great guy. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Mitch Andrus

United States

#26 Apr 30, 2011
Old Man Maddux was the greatest teacher I've ever had. He believed in ALL of us, pushed us to do our best no matter how many times he had to tell us. He was always appreciative of our efforts and received our student criticism with admiration. Above all else, Maddux trusted us all, sometimes more then he should have. The scholastic and life lessons taught by Chris Maddux will live on through his loving, past students.
Kevin Farrell

Sudbury, MA

#27 Apr 30, 2011
Chris - You are truly one of a kind and I am glad you and the family recently came to Boston to visit and have a few laughs. I will always remember the camping trips- Sharon, Devon, Beth, and the crazy dogs. You have left a wonderful legacy with your family, students, and friends - I am blessed to have known you. Here's to the boat trips - I promise not to drop the bolt for the cover. To the Maddux family you are always in our hearts and prayers.
kyle

Draper, UT

#28 May 1, 2011
what wonderful inspiring words, now go out and carry the torch.
Chest

Saint George, UT

#29 May 1, 2011
RIP Chris!
Lolo

West Jordan, UT

#30 May 1, 2011
This is so sad. I cannot imagine how is family feels.
Perrin Wells

Hagerstown, MD

#31 May 2, 2011
Mr. Maddux truly was one of those great teachers that knew how to push, inspire and listen to you. He was a part of the day that you looked forward to.

I heard about his passing 2500 miles away and it reduced me to tears. That, I think says a lot.

To his family, please take comfort in the fact that he was so well loved and respected!
Joan Mills

Salt Lake City, UT

#32 May 2, 2011
Chris,
You were a very special husband, teacher, father and friend to all. You will sorely be missed! You helped and guided so many people over the years. My thoughts go out to Sharon and the boys. Chris was an inspiration to all.
Beth Van Marter Farrell

Sudbury, MA

#33 May 2, 2011
Sharon, Devon, Greyson, and Cameron...can't believe it was only 3 weeks ago you all were sitting around our kitchen table with us in Boston. What a blessing we had that time with Chris. My heart aches now, but I end up laughing when I think about our times together camping, boating, teaching, celebrating. Whether it was in Jackson Hole, Moab (remember the jeep and four-wheeling?), Big Moose, Cape Cod, Vermont, or Sudbury, memories were made that were always dear. We started our friendship watching the dogs run around like maniacs in your yard, and last saw you with our combined brood of 6 kids running around like maniacs in our yard on a beautiful spring night.

We love you!
Bill Olson

Los Angeles, CA

#34 May 2, 2011
Mr. Maddux coached me to a state championship in Drama and directed me as Joseph in "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" in 1989. He encouraged my passion for acting and because of that, I am now working in Hollywood. His fun and casual approach helped us all feel at ease and allowed us to develop our confidence. Last February I was lucky enough to spend some time with him while at the Sundance Film Festival for work. He was a great teacher a such a good man. Thank you Mr. Maddux! You will be missed...
Green

Centerville, UT

#35 May 4, 2011
Maddux was a good man. One of the most dedicated teachers I've ever known. Compassionate, honest, fun-loving and professional. He was the kind of teacher I always wanted to be, and the kind of person we should all strive to be. I'm honored to have called him a colleague and friend. My deepest condolences and much love to Sharon and the kids.
Michelle wheeler

West Jordan, UT

#36 May 9, 2011
Maddux was a fun teacher and a good man. If you were to go to the high school today and ask any of the students, they would tell you even more about or just the same as i have said, i enjoyed Maddux and his funny way of doing things, he also died doing what he loved,
Jeff Hill

Park City, UT

#37 Aug 6, 2011
Grant,

While cleaning out Mr. Maddux's classroom I found a photo album of your NYC trip and letter from you that he kept. Please contact the school and give them your current information. I will sent it to you.

-Jeff Hill
Grant Eaton wrote:
Mr. Maddux was the best teacher I had at Park City High School when I was there in 1991-1992. he and his wife, Sharon, took the drama and speech/debate classes on a field trip to NYC around 1993. I remember how magical it was, my first time in a big city. Both of them worked so hard to create a lot of really neat backstage experiences for us with the Rockettes, the star of Miss Saigon, and many of New York's most interesting neighborhoods in eateries. He was a cultured and sophisticated person with a common touch as well, and also caring -- but tough, as others have mentioned, as he was someone who drove you to do better in everything. He expected excellence of his students.
We did not keep in touch after 1993, but I have so many fond memories of his speech, English, and drama classes; the musical "45 Minutes from Broadway" that he directed; and that he did his best to help me deal with an abusive stepfather who even personally threatened him. My condolences to his family.
John Corba

Chicago, IL

#38 Sep 9, 2011
Wow....I'm just finding this news out. For those of you from the Park City area, I had the great fortune of having Mr. Maddux as a teacher when he lived in Racine, WI prior to Utah. He was the reason I went on to study film at Syracuse University, work in the industry in Hollywood and NYC, and why I'm getting my MFA and teach at the collegiate level. He had a tremendous impact on me and I will forever be grateful. I'm saddened but I'm so glad I emailed him a few years ago to share this with him.
Rachel Neuberger

Azle, TX

#39 Mar 27, 2012
I didn't personally know Mr. Maddux too well, though our sons have played football together - for years locally. Since Chris' passing, I have spoken to Sharon now and again. She is a very brave and amazing woman. She and the boys will ultimately triumph over the huge loss of a well-loved husband and very supportive father. Though of course they will never forget his legacy & their family memories. He was a great dad that I remember for years watching his sons & volunteering with football. My last memory was him graciously slowing down and smiling to allow me to walk & pass in front of his car, a few months before he died. God bless the Maddux family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Park City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Metaphors in the Torah: Chayei Sarah Part 2 Jun '16 rabbee yehoshooah... 1
Twin power yoga park city (Nov '14) Jun '16 Duffy 10
saw this gem, thought I'd pass it on: May '16 Yoga Flame 1
News Dr. Dumb May '16 Three Days 1
Debate: Marijuana - Park City, UT (Aug '10) Apr '16 Wiley 15
i miss you (Mar '06) Mar '16 Suzanna Jayne Macon 9
News Why we're all talking about Mitt Romney again (Feb '14) Feb '16 kuda 5

Park City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance