Obama's Minimum-Wage Gamble

Feb 14, 2013 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.theatlantic.com

In 2008, the Obama-Biden transition effort promised, as part of the new president's poverty agenda, that "Obama will ... raise the minimum wage to $9.50 an hour by 2011" and "index it to inflation." That didn't happen, and when Obama in his 2013 State of the Union address once again brought up the question of raising the minimum wage -- though to a slightly lower amount -- it took some members of his party by surprise. A minimum-wage hike is a perennial progressive Democratic favorite, but it wasn't on the radar to emerge as a top priority for the president and his party in the year ahead.

Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Feb 21, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Or, President Obama tells the GOP; 'you want to APPEAL to HISPANICS, BLACKS, and WOMEN?'

Well, then put up or shut up.
Eleanor

Buffalo Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

How many jobs will be LOST if the minimum wage goes up to $9.00??

While $9.00 doesn't sound like much, to raise it from $7.25 is a WHOPPING 24% INCREASE in pay!!

If small businesses are already hurting, forcing them to come up with an additional 24% for payroll may simply put them over the edge into bankruptcy.

What a dufus he is!
Dane Thorsen

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

There is no gamble for Obama. This wil only have a negative on businesses and their employees who he never claimed to represent.
It will lead to fewer hours per work week and lower hiring.

Remember, the worse Americans feel about their future hopes and dreams the more apt they are to give up and give in to Big Brother in support of the hard left Obama Pelosi cabal.
Orion

High Point, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Raising the minimum wage is a wast of time!

Sure it my help those who have a job at the moment but it causes everything to go up. For companies to survive they raise the cost of their product cut employees or move to areas where wages are cheap for example China or Mexico. In the end what have we gained more like what have we lost???

There must be a better way!!
asflksjf2jk34kl4 5jkl

Nha Trang, Vietnam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Mr_Bill wrote:
Or, President Obama tells the GOP; 'you want to APPEAL to HISPANICS, BLACKS, and WOMEN?'
Well, then put up or shut up.
no wonder the Pope earning onlee $7.99!!;-0
Sheik Yerbouti

Chalfont, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Eleanor wrote:
While $9.00 doesn't sound like much, to raise it from $7.25 is a WHOPPING 24% INCREASE in pay!!
If small businesses are already hurting, forcing them to come up with an additional 24% for payroll may simply put them over the edge into bankruptcy.
What a dufus he is!
Rethugs have been spouting the same crap every time the minimum wage is increased and yet somehow jobs don't disappear. Rethugs think American workers should work for slave wages with no benefits. Your statement has no basis in fact!
asflksjf2jk34kl4 5jkl

Nha Trang, Vietnam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Eleanor wrote:
What a dufus he is!
guessing how much Obama make!$8.99 per/second!!and $9.00 per/hr for the People is not too bad!!!;-000h, thx the presidone hav nice vacation!!!;-000

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Eleanor wrote:
What a dufus he is!
Your instinct is incorrect. Higher minimum wage brings more lower paid jobs.
Please ponder the graph of Figure 1., and read this article.

http://qz.com/ #

Truth is, a monmum wage increase is the very best economic stimulus.
Blanket Tax cuts are not.
Really

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
<quoted text>
Rethugs have been spouting the same crap every time the minimum wage is increased and yet somehow jobs don't disappear. Rethugs think American workers should work for slave wages with no benefits. Your statement has no basis in fact!
Rethugs? What are you 12?
Landscaper

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Raise the minimum wage....25% I'll have to layoff 10%-15% of my staff to stay afloat. Great way to CREATE jobs. What a joke.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. So if we would raise minimum wage to $18/hr we could bring about twice as many jobs? That makes perfect progressive sense.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

RustyS wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. So if we would raise minimum wage to $18/hr we could bring about twice as many jobs? That makes perfect progressive sense.
There are diminishing returns for most actions.
Your black/white inability to understand basic reality will doom you always to foolish statements and opinions.

However,$18/hour might greatly increase employment, but would b an insurmountable barrier for many small and large businesses.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Landscaper wrote:
Raise the minimum wage....25% I'll have to layoff 10%-15% of my staff to stay afloat. Great way to CREATE jobs. What a joke.
No, you will keep them working because you will have more work; in fact, you may be hiring.
fjk5sf1joijk3jk4

Nha Trang, Vietnam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you will keep them working because you will have more work; in fact, you may be hiring.
he wanne chop Obama green lawn!;-000h, Joe already did it?!!;-00

The Left Coast

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Good point Billy. Then letís say $14/hour or $12 or $7. When does your progressive reality start? Wait, I know, it's $9!! How could I have missed that, it is so predictably evident.
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
There are diminishing returns for most actions.
Your black/white inability to understand basic reality will doom you always to foolish statements and opinions.
However,$18/hour might greatly increase employment, but would b an insurmountable barrier for many small and large businesses.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

RustyS wrote:
Good point Billy. Then letís say $14/hour or $12 or $7. When does your progressive reality start? Wait, I know, it's $9!! How could I have missed that, it is so predictably evident.
<quoted text>
If you really wanted to "start" you might go with the CPE adjusted minimum wage, which would be about $10.30... But that is quite a big jump.
Don't try to be cute, you are too lame.

The Left Coast

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Judged:

Sorry Billy, just following your lead. It's nice to know that guys like Landscaper will see a big jump in their business volume by paying his temporary help 20% more. How long do you think it will take?

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Judged:

RustyS wrote:
Sorry Billy, just following your lead. It's nice to know that guys like Landscaper will see a big jump in their business volume by paying his temporary help 20% more. How long do you think it will take?
Here the landscapers are using illegal aliens, so they probably won't pay them minimum wage annyhow.

The Left Coast

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Judged:

Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Here the landscapers are using illegal aliens, so they probably won't pay them minimum wage annyhow.
I did not know Asians were noted for their landscape work in NY. But, progressively speaking, increasing minimum wage for illegals will surely slow down illegal immigration AND increase business for guys like Landscaper. A truly progressive solution. You and your progressive leaders have complete control, show us the way.
Curious

High Point, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Judged:

Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words more illegal immigration!
I see that Washington likes to use graphs and charts with numbers that are usually manipulated to make their point. In reality what I see and hear is more layoffs and closing companies mostly moving to China. I see friends and neighbor's living off of what ever they can to survive because their unemployment has run it course and they can not find nothing to work at still. Does the unemployment numbers show these people or are they just not counted anymore. It's about time Washington started looking at the
whole picture not just what they want to see with graphs and charts.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Parish Discussions

Search the Parish Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Biker 20 min jeff 3
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 3 hr Matt Lauers Toupee 6,362
what happened on sunday up mexico road? (Jun '13) 5 hr mikey gee 8
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 7 hr teddy Joe McCarthy cruz 6,341
Camden LL is a Joke 16 hr Karma 52
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 19 hr Sham Hannuty 16,777
Woman missing from Oneida and her son have sued... Wed wth 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Parish Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Parish People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE