After prison sentence, priest assigne...

After prison sentence, priest assigned to New Rochelle parish

There are 8 comments on the Journal News story from Aug 13, 2008, titled After prison sentence, priest assigned to New Rochelle parish. In it, Journal News reports that:

A Catholic priest who served a short prison sentence for stealing tens of thousands of dollars from his former Manhattan parish has assumed a new role, as an associate pastor at Holy Family parish in New ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Journal News.

jim_dandy48

Morning Sun, IA

#1 Aug 15, 2008
Oh this is just another great news worthy item , not only from my former faith... but includedes, the local church which I was Baptized and recieved my first Holy Communion...1940's-1950's, the same place, the Nuns used me for a punching bag, every Wed. afternoon for years. This Egan character is just another scumbag...his life has been a joy ride at other people's expense. I suppose we are to be thankfull, for wwhat little we know of this clown, that he (mayby) kept his pants zipped up, and his frock pulled down...
kate78

Chester, NJ

#2 Aug 15, 2008
let you who have not sinned be the first to throw stones. I know Msgr Woolsey for almost 25 years and consider him a very good friend. He is a good man and a good priest and he married my husband and me in 1989. He has served his time and deserves a second chance. And he is not a clown or a child molester as you might suggest. How dare you judge what you do not know. There is always two sides to the story. And Cardinal Egan is not one of my favorite people, trust me on that one.
rdshu342

Atlanta, GA

#3 Aug 16, 2008
we all make errors of jugdgement in our live
Msgr.W. deserves a second chance forgiveness is the key work
and think WWJD i.e what would Jesus do
HE would forgive...
and if he was here today he would be with the poor and done trotten people
so give John a chance he is still a priest...
jsr

New York, NY

#4 Sep 17, 2008
Msgr Woolsey is an honorable, kind, charitable, holy man. The news media has not done their homework and continues to print false and erroneous information and skewing the facts. He did not "steal" hundreds of thousands of dollars from anyone nor was he fairly treated in any way. He was a scapegoat for a wider circle. Shame on those who used him...from the Cardinal down.
Jeanne

Moncks Corner, SC

#5 Sep 17, 2008
just don't let him empty the poor box
Thomass

Palm Coast, FL

#6 Sep 17, 2008
Woolsey lied more than thrice from the pulpit of his former Church, denying over and over again he had done anything wrong. Isn't he yet a bit embarrassed about the many thousands he stole from both the Church and parishioners. If he has any dignity he would retire as this current assignment will surely cause more Catholics to leave the Church. What a joke Egan and his cronies are. Woolsey is no different from a common thief, whether in business or on the street.
Doubting Thomas

Trenton, NJ

#7 Sep 27, 2008
"Prosecutors said the priest, then 68, had taken more than $800,000 and spent the church money on lavish vacations, clothing, watches and country club memberships. He was released last year."

How could someone not see what this man was doing, sooner? He was a priest, at a country club, taking lavish vacations? I think I'll become a priest.
No No Naivete

AOL

#8 Feb 12, 2009
From personal experience I can tell you that Msgr. Woolsey is a liar, motivated by either evil intent or sociopathic illness, I have no idea. He in fact, not only cajoled an 87 yr old woman out of at least $600,000 of her family's money (her 92 yr old brother is still living) but after over $100,000 was spent on lawyers to see justice done, the church gets the money Woolsey had left and the Cale family got zilch. If it wasn't for the Cale family stepping forward and fighting the church to the point of being forced to expose this situation to the press, he'd still be on the golf course at Winged Foot. So let's get real. WWJD? He would throw over the money changers tables and expose the corruption in the church, not be so entrenched in the church's political bureaucracy to allow a thief to continue to steal money for nine months while their attorneys paid for by their malpractice insurance policy produce paper until you have to call it quits or go broke fighting a losing battle. Just remember, according to the church, parish priests are independent contractors, not employees, so whether they steal your money or molest your children, the archdiocese will shield itself from responsibility, and good luck recovering damages from the wayward priest. Keep your money out of the collection basket and your kids close at hand until the church gets rid of the good ole boys and gets some righteous leaders who know how to do the right thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parish Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Camden contractors (Aug '13) 11 hr Who not to use 43
Women Tue Helpful 1
Principal and Superintendant Drunk at Graduation Jun 26 Sara 8
Rich and Sherrie (May '14) Jun 23 Dylan Sanborn 17
trump blowing smoke Jun 22 juju 2
Michele Wade Jun 20 Got ur number 4
News Vandalism at Central Square Church Under Invest... (Jul '15) Jun 10 Scooter 4

Parish Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Parish Mortgages