Dylan's Drivers - Did it Work?
Easy money

Atlanta, GA

#169 Sep 26, 2012
driver wrote:
Do the drivers have background checks? A couple people I have seen volunteering are some of the very people I've seen in the bars drunk or drugged up. It's been a while back and maybe they've cleaned up but is there a safety process to make sure the drivers are sober? Especially if they're hanging out at the bars.
amen looks like drunks driving drunks!
appalled

Paris, TX

#170 Sep 27, 2012
Hate their ad:

Had fun? Awesome!(very inappropriate)
Car with wings on it.(signifying Dylan)?
-- Who was the idiot that designed it? Oh yeah the one that called him a rockstar while he was in the hospital.
Wildcat Driller

Paris, TX

#171 Sep 27, 2012
I think is a good program,my only problem with Dylan's Drivers is that 2 young men were killed in that wreck and so it should have been named after both of them.Same with the street name. It makes it look like the other boys life wasn't as important as Dylan's and that he has been forgotten.
Just saying

Fort Worth, TX

#172 Sep 29, 2012
Dylan's Drivers has given somewhere around 800 free rides to the people of this community since the time it was launched in January 2012. It is an amazing program that was established out of a heartbreaking tragedy. I seriously doubt Ronnie and Vickie Ballard are trying to undermine the authorities or promote underage drinking since these two things are what ultimately took the life of their son. I think what they are trying to do is make a difference by hopefully sparing another family from the nightmare they live daily. I can't even imagine what it's like to loose a child, especially under circumstances like these, but I do hope and pray that because of this program many others will be spared. I have been extremely blessed to have some of the greatest parents in this world. With that being said, I would also like to say that I made some horrible choices as a teenager and young adult. There are no perfect people (parents or children). Talking to your kids is GREAT! But ultimately in the heat of the moment the choice will be theirs. And I am proud to support the effort these two people, along with multiple volunteers, are giving weekly to try to save a life. THANKS RONNIE AND VICKIE BALLARD AND DYLANS DRIVERS for taking time out of your own lives to make sure someone, somewhere gets home safely tonight. Thanks for attempting to make a difference so that another family doesn't have to get the phone call that their child is going to jail or that their child (no matter what age) has passed away. I think it's a very admirable thing your doing. NBL

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#173 Sep 30, 2012
Just saying wrote:
Dylan's Drivers has given somewhere around 800 free rides to the people of this community since the time it was launched in January 2012. It is an amazing program that was established out of a heartbreaking tragedy. I seriously doubt Ronnie and Vickie Ballard are trying to undermine the authorities or promote underage drinking since these two things are what ultimately took the life of their son. I think what they are trying to do is make a difference by hopefully sparing another family from the nightmare they live daily. I can't even imagine what it's like to loose a child, especially under circumstances like these, but I do hope and pray that because of this program many others will be spared. I have been extremely blessed to have some of the greatest parents in this world. With that being said, I would also like to say that I made some horrible choices as a teenager and young adult. There are no perfect people (parents or children). Talking to your kids is GREAT! But ultimately in the heat of the moment the choice will be theirs. And I am proud to support the effort these two people, along with multiple volunteers, are giving weekly to try to save a life. THANKS RONNIE AND VICKIE BALLARD AND DYLANS DRIVERS for taking time out of your own lives to make sure someone, somewhere gets home safely tonight. Thanks for attempting to make a difference so that another family doesn't have to get the phone call that their child is going to jail or that their child (no matter what age) has passed away. I think it's a very admirable thing your doing. NBL
Agree.
Concerned Citizen

Dallas, TX

#174 Oct 30, 2012
I went to the activities at the Civic Center with an open mind. I wasn't sure about this concept about avocating drinking. I walked down to the baseball tournament. I saw people drinking beer. It seemed some of the players didn't understand the concept. What good does this program do? If you see drinking at the function that is sponsored by Dylan's Drivers.
OldWhitey

Paris, TX

#175 Oct 30, 2012
Concerned Citizen wrote:
I went to the activities at the Civic Center with an open mind. I wasn't sure about this concept about avocating drinking. I walked down to the baseball tournament. I saw people drinking beer. It seemed some of the players didn't understand the concept. What good does this program do? If you see drinking at the function that is sponsored by Dylan's Drivers.
Dylan's Drivers is about being responsible if you do drink. Let someone else drive that hasn't been drinking. DD gives you someone to call if you don't have a designated driver. It is a worthwhile pursuit. Would you rather have no alternative?
curious

Clarksville, TX

#176 Oct 30, 2012
you mean like being responsible and calling a cab,oh he11 no that WOULD actually be resposible
curious

Clarksville, TX

#177 Oct 30, 2012
no alternative-geeez go ahead drink that last few dollars DD will take your cheap sorry butt home,home is where you should have stayed,responsible,give me a break,people should be ashamed
JMO

Paris, TX

#178 Oct 31, 2012
I think it's a good thing they are doing. However, their advertising is sick. Wings on a car and saying, "you had a good time.. awesome".. pretty stupid. He died with a horrible head injury and they should be more respectful with the way they are advertising this. The same one that put this together called him a rockstar while he was in the hospital.
no puncs

Paris, TX

#179 Oct 31, 2012
whole thing is cheezy I thought the world of D this would not make him proud im sorry to say he would have never called for a ride

“Ok, maybe I know a little bit.”

Since: Sep 12

But I don't know that.

#180 Oct 31, 2012
I am sure no one who has lost a child is advocating drinking. People who want to drink do so because they want to, and they will use any event as an excuse. I know when my son was a teenager the last thing I wanted him to do was drink, but I promised him if he did he could call me, and I would always come get him with no questions asked. I lived up to that promise, and, whether anyone else approves or not, he made it home safely without hurting himself or anyone else.
OldWhitey

Paris, TX

#181 Oct 31, 2012
Me I Know Notheeng wrote:
I am sure no one who has lost a child is advocating drinking. People who want to drink do so because they want to, and they will use any event as an excuse. I know when my son was a teenager the last thing I wanted him to do was drink, but I promised him if he did he could call me, and I would always come get him with no questions asked. I lived up to that promise, and, whether anyone else approves or not, he made it home safely without hurting himself or anyone else.
I did the same. People (especially kids) will drink regardless of whether anyone approves. Kids are especially vulnerable to the "bullet proof" scenario.

One mistake can cost them and others their lives. It's better they be offered an alternative to driving and drinking. Just saying no only works up to a point. I never wanted a call in the middle of the night with the worst possible news...
Rediculous

Tulsa, OK

#182 Oct 31, 2012
The drunks and the parents of the drunk IF THERE IS minors, need to hold accountability for themselves. Dylans Drivers will help you and get you home safely and etc... faster than a taxi in paris would getting to you. And the taxi wouldnt even give a damn about you ! DD DOES. YOU ROCK DD !
curious

Clarksville, TX

#183 Oct 31, 2012
dd doesnt give a damn about u either just their guilty conscience hurt much

“Ok, maybe I know a little bit.”

Since: Sep 12

But I don't know that.

#184 Oct 31, 2012
Rediculous wrote:
The drunks and the parents of the drunk IF THERE IS minors, need to hold accountability for themselves. Dylans Drivers will help you and get you home safely and etc... faster than a taxi in paris would getting to you. And the taxi wouldnt even give a damn about you ! DD DOES. YOU ROCK DD !
You really dont make sense. If the drunk minor and the parent take responsibility then DD doesn't need to be called. You really dont express yourself in a way that is logical enough for others to understand.
anon

Central, SC

#185 Oct 31, 2012
Teens are going to party regardless, I would rather have them get home safe than drive themselves, and possibly kill themselves and someone else.

I think it's a good program.
dude whopper

Paris, TX

#186 Nov 1, 2012
Why Not wrote:
Without going into the whys, morality, etc. we want to know:
DID IT WORK?
Was it worthwhile?
Works Great!

Now our youngsters have a green light on drinking and drugs! All mama's and daddy's can rest assured that their little drunk and high children will make it home safe without any law enforcement 'intervention'.

I can remember when grown-ups taught me that doing those things was wrong and dangerous not to mention that if I were ever caught "there would be hell to pay!".

Where was these 'drivers' when I needed them? I could have been party-hardy if I knew I wouldn't have to pay-up!..DAMN!, I spent my youth years concentrating on playing baseball, football, working steady, going to school, being involved in Church programs, learning to play music, hunting, fishing, camping, and enjoying life as I still do.... and just to think if my parents had of ok'ed it for me to enjoy a alcohol worry-free weekend things could have been so different....

well, I'm just glad that these kids today won't miss the opportunity's that I could have had.

Thank you Dylan's driver's...
Old School

Paris, TX

#187 Nov 1, 2012
dude whopper wrote:
<quoted text>
Works Great!
Now our youngsters have a green light on drinking and drugs! All mama's and daddy's can rest assured that their little drunk and high children will make it home safe without any law enforcement 'intervention'.
I can remember when grown-ups taught me that doing those things was wrong and dangerous not to mention that if I were ever caught "there would be hell to pay!".
Where was these 'drivers' when I needed them? I could have been party-hardy if I knew I wouldn't have to pay-up!..DAMN!, I spent my youth years concentrating on playing baseball, football, working steady, going to school, being involved in Church programs, learning to play music, hunting, fishing, camping, and enjoying life as I still do.... and just to think if my parents had of ok'ed it for me to enjoy a alcohol worry-free weekend things could have been so different....
well, I'm just glad that these kids today won't miss the opportunity's that I could have had.
AGREED and very well said.
sums it up

Paris, TX

#188 Nov 1, 2012
dude whopper wrote:
<quoted text>
Works Great!
beautiful sentiments!! and true.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Meth heads on 5th 17 min HHi 5
Mother of the Month 19 min HHi 55
Bonds and More Taxes 2 hr taxes 7
new hospital on the loop 2 hr night watch 15
Reward for Inquisitor 6 hr Debbie Update 3
How to get a local KKK Chapter? (Oct '08) 7 hr Kknoledgek 292
Remember Officer Wooten that patroled Mirabeau (Feb '09) 7 hr Bob 33

Paris Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance