First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Duh me

United States

#1 Oct 31, 2012
I hope this helps some of you to properly use some words in your posts. Target words will be in all CAPITAL LETTERS. Enjoy:

THERE were TWO TOO many students in THEIR classroom TO effectively teach the PRINCIPLES of string theory, so the instructors asked the PRINCIPAL to reassign some students. THEY'RE switching teaching plans until the change it made. Perhaps they will discuss how lobbyists at the state CAPITOL are protesting CAPITAL punishment.

List any other homonyms (words that sound alike but are spelled differently), and I will use them in an example sentence
Cookie

Paris, TX

#3 Oct 31, 2012
brake and break

When my daughter stepped on the pedal too hard, I asked her, "Did you break your brake?"

Speaking of which -- pedal, peddle.

The job of the bike shop employee was to peddle pedals.

Rode, road --
right, write --

While in England I rode down the road on the right side so I could write a first-hand account of a car crash.
knee-grow

Paris, TX

#4 Oct 31, 2012
Jan wrote:
I saw a post todaoy and it read.....I was so great ful for the food. great ful.....nearly flipped.
most misused are: your and you're;
where and were:
can you you help me? My daddy is my uncle and my momma is my aunt. My papa is my great umcle and my mamaw is my cousin? I'm so confused.
Huh

United States

#5 Oct 31, 2012
You're your on grad paw, and they're a great many retired English teachers with to much time on there hands
Correction

Paris, TX

#6 Oct 31, 2012
Correcting people is a control issue, usually because you can't conrol anything in your life.

There are times when it is needed, wanted and appreciated.

Topix and texting are not one of those times, so to correct the correctors...get a life.
Correction

Paris, TX

#8 Oct 31, 2012
Dado wrote:
Incorrect is INCORRECT no matter where it is used! It takes no longer in texting or topix to type in GRATEFUL instead of great ful. It takes no long to type the correct to-two-too and not use it incorrectly. The same goes for your and you're, where & were. When used incorrectly, it is because one does NOT know any differently and does not use the correct form. It is plain and simple. It is not taught in school anymore thus the reason people consistently use the wrong word. Having a life had NOTHING to do with it. It simply makes the poster look ignorant!
Plain and simple, if you want to use correct grammar and spelling use it.

It's your business. If it is not hurting anyone, then it is their business.

If it hurts you, then you have a problem....it's called control issues.
Correction

Paris, TX

#9 Oct 31, 2012
Your control issue makes you look ignorant, Dado.

It's a petty issue.
Correction

Paris, TX

#11 Oct 31, 2012
I feel sorry for those too ignorant to know the difference between their control issues and carry it on to their kids who will probably be abusers.

It's like chewing with your mouth wide open except that is petty compaired to your problem that you are not aware of.

But it's your business now isn't it?

Keep it that way. You get into others, and they will get into yours.
Emily Post

Paris, TX

#12 Oct 31, 2012
http://thegrammarvandal.wordpress.com/2007/09...

Yep, it's wrong to correct peoples grammar.

To correct is to take incorrect action, however it is an illness. It's an OCD thing called GPS. Look it up, it's kind of funny.
Correcting the correctors

Paris, TX

#13 Oct 31, 2012
https://illinois.edu/blog/view/25/76120

Correcting the correctors for their bad manners...like chewing with your mouth open.

Paris, TX

#15 Oct 31, 2012
That is all correcting grammar is. It's a control issue.

It's a shame you don't see it. There is some reading material for you. Oh my, the caps locks are on.

Stalking someone? Another sign of control issues. If you are talking to me, I'm so glad I missed you. You are too, you just don't know it.

Paris, TX

#16 Oct 31, 2012
"The etiquette for correcting another personís grammar is that you donít, not unless you have blanket permission and a compelling reason to do so. Even then, never interrupt a train of thought or a serious conversation. The English language has been around for 600 years in its present form, give or take a century, depending on which linguistic historian you ask, and is the dominant language worldwide for business, science, and politics."

Paris, TX

#18 Oct 31, 2012
"It used to be we thought that people who went around correcting other peopleís grammar were just plain annoying. Now thereís evidence they are actually ill, suffering from a type of obsessive-compulsive disorder/oppositional defiant disorder (OCD/ODD). Researchers are calling it Grammatical Pedantry Syndrome, or GPS."
hayseed

Clarksville, TX

#19 Oct 31, 2012
Dado wrote:
Incorrect is INCORRECT no matter where it is used! It takes no longer in texting or topix to type in GRATEFUL instead of great ful. It takes no long to type the correct to-two-too and not use it incorrectly. The same goes for your and you're, where & were. When used incorrectly, it is because one does NOT know any differently and does not use the correct form. It is plain and simple. It is not taught in school anymore thus the reason people consistently use the wrong word. Having a life had NOTHING to do with it. It simply makes the poster look ignorant!
Your two kind. I'm gr8ful 4 you're diligence.
Tommy Lee

Paris, TX

#21 Oct 31, 2012
Dado wrote:
so wish I had some OCD in me. Actually I am a clutter bug.
If you correct grammar, you may have OCD and be a clutter bug, which I would think is a very bad combination.

If you are neat, someone may tolerate your grammar corrections. Just sayen. Messy and rude is no way to go through life son.
Tommy Lee

Paris, TX

#22 Oct 31, 2012
hayseed wrote:
<quoted text>
Your two kind. I'm gr8ful 4 you're diligence.
Cash be lieing using algebra.
luke

Rockwall, TX

#23 Nov 1, 2012
Correction wrote:
<quoted text>Plain and simple, if you want to use correct grammar and spelling use it.

It's your business. If it is not hurting anyone, then it is their business.

If it hurts you, then you have a problem....it's called control issues.
THANK YOU!! All these noisy people who think that they're better than everyone else DRIVE ME CRAZY. If you don't like the way people spell or use incorrect words stay off of here!! We are all adults and how we chose to type a word is our problem. If you don't get MY POINT SKIP MY STATEMENT!!

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#24 Nov 1, 2012
Why do people say, "You Welcome?"
truthbetold

Paris, TX

#25 Nov 1, 2012
The truth of the matter is that grammar and spelling aren't considered important enough to stress in schools. The teachers are soooooooooo busy teaching toward making the kids pass the state mandated tests, that they neglect some vital areas of basic English, such as homonym usage. Chalk it up to pressure from politicians trying to dictate to professional educators which lessons they should prepare and teach to their students. This has been going on for about 25 years in the state of Texas, to the tune of millions being spent on the worthless tests, and two generations being "dumbed down". It's a shame and makes people (who were never taught correct English) look ignorant.
Lessons

Paris, TX

#26 Nov 1, 2012
The word "etiquette" is from the French estiquer, which meant "to post" or "attach." "From this we get "etiquette," which are rules conduct and guidelines for behavior. Etiquette is designed to make others feel more comfortable and to show respect for the occasion and the people you are around."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HPI bulding 3 hr job seeker 1
Ok To Give The Wife A Sleeping Pill To Have Sex? (Jun '09) 3 hr tired 137
teachers/coaches 3 hr tired 23
stop having babies. 4 hr tired 2
Elf on a Shelf 4 hr Baker 1
Paris # 9 On List Of 20 Most Dangerous Cities I... 5 hr mir43 4
grandson 6 hr Assualt w Dead We... 14
Body found on 2648 8 hr easy 101
Sympathy for both the Sims and Morrison families 8 hr I heard 19

Paris News Video

Paris Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Paris People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Paris News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Paris

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:32 pm PST

Bleacher Report 4:32PM
Making the Case for Watt as MVP
ESPN 5:24 PM
Jerry Jones: 'Nobody knows' his Bryant concerns
Bleacher Report 5:24 PM
Early Preview for NFC Wild Card Matchups
Bleacher Report 6:50 PM
Is This Dallas' Best Chance at Super Bowl During Romo Era?
NBC Sports 8:48 PM
Crisis averted: No AT&T Stadium scheduling conflict for CFP championship