Tx Dot closing departments

Posted in the Paris Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dont mess with Texas

Paris, TX

#1 Jul 30, 2008
Has anyone heard that The Texas Department of Transportation on N Main is closing five departments down and moving them to Fort Worth?
uhhh yeah

Clarksville, TX

#2 Jul 30, 2008
NOOOO WAY! I wonder who all is going to have to move......
Concerned Citizen

Paris, TX

#3 Jul 30, 2008
No what is going on? Are the people here going to get layed off or will they have to move to FtWorth?
Just a Question

Sulphur, OK

#4 Jul 30, 2008
Dont mess with Texas wrote:
Has anyone heard that The Texas Department of Transportation on N Main is closing five departments down and moving them to Fort Worth?
I haven't heard that, but it doesn't surprise me any. I'm pretty sure this was discussed back a few years back also. Well, it's probably been a good 10 years ago now. Keep us posted if you hear anything
Love Paris

Paris, TX

#5 Jul 30, 2008
With all the people in Paris, loosing jobs things might get rough. I hope that it is not true. Does anyone know how many people this will affect?
newy

Bailey, TX

#6 Jul 31, 2008
Yes
TxDot is restructuring to regions. The Paris District will be part of the North region with some its operations moved to Ft Worth. Mostly administrative positions like accounting, sign shop, purchasing etc.
Been There

United States

#7 Jul 31, 2008
If people will do some digging they will discover some interesting information. the administration in austin "miscounts" 1.1 billion dollars and no one gets fired. instead 6 position are created with salaries well over 100,000. lay-off the people doing the real work
Taxpayer

Paris, TX

#8 Aug 1, 2008
Been There wrote:
If people will do some digging they will discover some interesting information. the administration in austin "miscounts" 1.1 billion dollars and no one gets fired. instead 6 position are created with salaries well over 100,000. lay-off the people doing the real work
Kind of like PISD?
Screwed up

Paris, TX

#9 Aug 1, 2008
This is going to be a hard hit on the business that TxDot deals with locally. All the purchasing and shop parts will not be bought local anymore because there will not be a shop or a purchasing department. All of this will be done out of Fort Worth. This will be a big hit. All of these employees that there jobs that are on the line will have to reapply for there same jobs and may not even get them or have to relocate and may even to take a cut in pay. Austin is taking to throw something together and are not even sure if this will work. They say they will save 35 million but how much will the cost to try and do this. They are making new jobs for the region 1st so it looks like they are just trying to get some more chiefs and cut out the people that are doing the real work. Come on Mark Homer you need to look and see what this is going to do to your district.
Dont mess with Texas

Paris, TX

#10 Aug 4, 2008
Screwed up wrote:
This is going to be a hard hit on the business that TxDot deals with locally. All the purchasing and shop parts will not be bought local anymore because there will not be a shop or a purchasing department. All of this will be done out of Fort Worth. This will be a big hit. All of these employees that there jobs that are on the line will have to reapply for there same jobs and may not even get them or have to relocate and may even to take a cut in pay. Austin is taking to throw something together and are not even sure if this will work. They say they will save 35 million but how much will the cost to try and do this. They are making new jobs for the region 1st so it looks like they are just trying to get some more chiefs and cut out the people that are doing the real work. Come on Mark Homer you need to look and see what this is going to do to your district.
Great Post , Chamber of Commerce, Economic Development, or any one that can show them the impact it will have on Paris.

Paris, TX

#11 Aug 7, 2008
Most of the problems that TxDOT has are in the administration in Austin. The Paris folks need to get behind their local TxDOT employees and let Mark Homer and Kevin Eftite (may be misspelled) know that they want these jobs to stay in the local community. TxDOT and its employees pump lots of money into the local economy.
Yea right

Paris, TX

#12 Aug 7, 2008
It makes me sick...typical politics at work. The Austin TxDOT crowd loses a billion and now the everyday, local workers are going to pay with their jobs to cover the executive idiocy in Austin. This big plan is all smoke and mirrors. Mark Homer, are you listening?
Paris Loses

Bailey, TX

#13 Aug 7, 2008
TxDot is doing what it tried to do 10 years ago and that is close the district office in the smaller cities and move them to the metro areas. They are just going about it a little sneaker than they did the last time. Any jobs Paris loses to Ft Worth will be detrimental to the Paris economy. Mr Homer And Mr. Effite we need your help.
New Guy

Paris, TX

#14 Aug 7, 2008
I just came back from Austin a couple of weeks ago. If you want to know why we can not get a four lane to the interstate, Austin is why. They are building multimillion dollar roads all the way past Roundrock.
Been Their

Paris, TX

#15 Aug 7, 2008
I am afraid this will really happen. I remember the Dept. of Human Resources leaving. Over 50 jobs left and hardly any administrative jobs are left. It was all done in the name of streamlining and cutting out waste. Who can argue with that. Only a hard hitting well connect politican can stop this... God bless A.M. Akin... It would have never happened on his watch.
alittle help

Paris, TX

#16 Aug 7, 2008
There is about 34 to 36 people that will be affected in this move in the District offices plus the money being taken from the local economy. This is also going to hurt the other 8 counties that are in the paris district. Mr. Homer and Mr.Effite step up to the plate and listen to what is going on. Do you think this is right for the local works across the state to take the blows for what the administration in Austin has done and how they are trying to slip this restructuring in before anybody knows about this.

Paris, TX

#17 Aug 8, 2008
The TxDOT administration is being sneaky. They are "restructuring" while the legislature is not in session so that they will not have to answer to our representatives.
Since the new Executive Director has been overseeing TxDOT they have gone from 2 assistants to the Executive Director to 5 assistants. The restructuring adds another layer of bureaucracy to the agency.
Hey Paris News, how about a story!
Been There

United States

#18 Aug 11, 2008
I just wonder if the news is getting the real story or the sugar-coated story.
tax overpayer

United States

#19 Aug 11, 2008
Any time a government agency is cut and using less tax money, it is a good thing. Yeah, what we really need is more government jobs! I'll call Homer and Eltife and encourage them to cut some more!
Small Gov

Bailey, TX

#20 Aug 11, 2008
tax overpayer wrote:
Any time a government agency is cut and using less tax money, it is a good thing. Yeah, what we really need is more government jobs! I'll call Homer and Eltife and encourage them to cut some more!
Just remember you said that when your driving down the road and hydro plan or hit a large pot hole. I agree that some goverment agencies are over staffed and could use some streamlining. TxDot is one of the most effience state agencies we have. It has been cut numerous times in the past several years and is doing more work with less people. These guys work in the middle of traffic with cars and trucks running by them at 70 - 80 MPH. Why don't you try doing you job under those conditions. I'm all for cutting goverment where we can but don't take away the vital services. Do you think when these office are in Ft. Worth they will ever think about the needs in Paris, Texas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was God a Christian? 14 min Tactics 1,172
Favorite Bible Verses (Mar '11) 20 min Tactics 730
E Paris News Website 22 min no joke 7
Mestizos and Negroes Fail Again 30 min Yiddish Filth 56
Paris Mosque (Mar '14) 1 hr Greg Franklin 61
Welcome Home Party 1 hr Free Free at Last 1
News Bond set for Paris couple accused of armed robbery 1 hr douknwwatiknw 8
R I P Paris Lakes Medical Center 3 hr Freddy Turd Face 71

Paris Jobs

More from around the web