'Fiscal cliff'? Let's take the plunge

Posted in the Paris Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#1 Dec 6, 2012
So who's behind all the "fiscal cliff" saber-rattling? Big earners and their friends, who despise the idea of the top tax rate going up from 35% to 39.6%(where it was during the 1990s, one of the most prosperous decades in this country's history), and any changes in the low, low, low capital gains tax. They started their scare campaign in February by calling the Dec. 31 deadline "taxmaggedon," which was clumsy and passe on arrival. It took that wordsmith Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke to coin "fiscal cliff," and even though it's more like a fiscal hill or a fiscal hurdle, the media loved "cliff." Besides, by summer we had a presidential election to fill the talk shows, and neither major candidate was talking about cliffs.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentar...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Just Sayen

Paris, TX

#2 Dec 6, 2012
Not so big

United States

#3 Dec 6, 2012
n8tvtxn wrote:
So who's behind all the "fiscal cliff" saber-rattling? Big earners and their friends, who despise the idea of the top tax rate going up from 35% to 39.6%(where it was during the 1990s, one of the most prosperous decades in this country's history), and any changes in the low, low, low capital gains tax. They started their scare campaign in February by calling the Dec. 31 deadline "taxmaggedon," which was clumsy and passe on arrival. It took that wordsmith Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke to coin "fiscal cliff," and even though it's more like a fiscal hill or a fiscal hurdle, the media loved "cliff." Besides, by summer we had a presidential election to fill the talk shows, and neither major candidate was talking about cliffs.
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentar...
Actually I am in favor of going over the cliff. Why not have every person paying their fair share in taxes AND cut spending with the mandatory cuts talked about if we don't reach a compromise. The super rich will never pay the 39% tax on earnings as they shelter their money in every way possible. These tax hikes aren't going to hurt those people. The tax hikes and capital gains increase are going to hurt middle America! Hello! While 250k is nothing to balk at, that is middle class America! And if you think that Obama's numbers are correct regarding spending, look back at history and see when the government has ever been correct on how much something will cost. Obamacare will socialize our medicine in this country and most people have no idea how detrimental this is going to be. Doctors, hospitals and home health care will suffer and your choices are going to be so limited that you will long for the old days. Read any major publication - Forbes for example- recently ran an article about Obamacare and the resulting shortage of doctors that will follow. Doctors will be forced out of business or they will stop accepting Medicare and Obamacare and go to a "cash only" payment system. Pretty scary. The amount of money raised in taxing the "rich" is only enough to run our government for 3 days at current spending levels.That's right, take almost 40% of your check, hand it straight to the government and see how disgusted you feel when you see that we cannot even touch this deficit based on just taxing the "rich". Sounds great in theory but it is pie in the sky.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
crazy

Dallas, TX

#4 Dec 6, 2012
Not so big wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I am in favor of going over the cliff. Why not have every person paying their fair share in taxes AND cut spending with the mandatory cuts talked about if we don't reach a compromise. The super rich will never pay the 39% tax on earnings as they shelter their money in every way possible. These tax hikes aren't going to hurt those people. The tax hikes and capital gains increase are going to hurt middle America! Hello! While 250k is nothing to balk at, that is middle class America! And if you think that Obama's numbers are correct regarding spending, look back at history and see when the government has ever been correct on how much something will cost. Obamacare will socialize our medicine in this country and most people have no idea how detrimental this is going to be. Doctors, hospitals and home health care will suffer and your choices are going to be so limited that you will long for the old days. Read any major publication - Forbes for example- recently ran an article about Obamacare and the resulting shortage of doctors that will follow. Doctors will be forced out of business or they will stop accepting Medicare and Obamacare and go to a "cash only" payment system. Pretty scary. The amount of money raised in taxing the "rich" is only enough to run our government for 3 days at current spending levels.That's right, take almost 40% of your check, hand it straight to the government and see how disgusted you feel when you see that we cannot even touch this deficit based on just taxing the "rich". Sounds great in theory but it is pie in the sky.
What world do you live in that 250,000 is middle class?
lol

Papeete, French Polynesia

#5 Dec 7, 2012
crazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends on where you live..Washington DC area, San Francisco, New York City...that is probably middle class.
Just sayen

White Oak, TX

#6 Dec 7, 2012
Saying that the rich will work less if you go up on their taxes is like saying a lion will eat less if you go down 5% on his share of the zebra, and when money is your food u never get full.
what

Paris, TX

#7 Dec 7, 2012
crazy wrote:
<quoted text>
In most other states that is middle class. Texas and Oklahoma have very low wages and living conditions so that looks like a lot but its not very much in California or New York.
cash

Blossom, TX

#8 Dec 7, 2012
what wrote:
<quoted text>In most other states that is middle class. Texas and Oklahoma have very low wages and living conditions so that looks like a lot but its not very much in California or New York.
so tx and ok are low class
LOL

Paris, TX

#9 Dec 7, 2012
cash wrote:
<quoted text>so tx and ok are low class
No, just you are cash.
HURF

Healdton, OK

#10 Dec 7, 2012
Yeah stupid rich people ruining stuff and things. Well, see ya later. *heliskis out of personal chopper onto jungle mountain onto the backs of natives painted white to simulate snow*
what

Paris, TX

#11 Dec 7, 2012
cash wrote:
<quoted text>so tx and ok are low class
Well, Paris is by far the most low class. Not sure about other towns.
wildcat

Arlington, TX

#12 Dec 7, 2012
250000 is not middle class anywhere. Even in new York or California that amount is upper class, maybe not necessarily "rich" but upper class yes. If you made half of that in a year and live in ny or Cali you are still doing very well.
jeff

Paris, TX

#13 Dec 7, 2012
I actually had one of my conservative friends say to me the other day that Obamacare would really be a good deal for my family, I could'nt resist a little dig and said, "well, you make more than 250,000 year so I guess your'e against raising taxes on higher income...she said, "yea, right!" Well, why are you against doing something good for your family then???The rich got rich off of your back. I can say that because the rich in America are Really-Really rich compared to other countries, because they make the rules, they set their own wage. Check the CEO salaries here compared to elsewhere..Who's money are they taking? Well, it was yours, once. I cannot for the life of me understand why poor people try to protect the rich that are pillaging this country.
Jeff

Paris, TX

#14 Dec 7, 2012
Because we are the people that believe you get what you work for, now how much you can get from the government or how much your entitled.

This is all fallout from 'everybody gets a trophy.'

If you go to college, work to make good grades, try hard to get a job, keep at it, save your money through diversified risk and time, you can be rich...richer than the middle class.

If you can't or don't want to do it that way, run a business, save your pennies, cut costs, make good decisions, maybe even sell out for a great profit...you might just get richer than the middle class.

Finally, I love the rich even though I am not one yet. Why? Because they are the ones that have to invest to stay rich. Every good job I ever had came from someone investing, not a government job.

I have never heard of anybody getting rich off welfare. So if we take up for the rich, it is because it is in our best interest to do so.

Going by your philosophy, everybody will be the same...poor. You ever been poor? I mean didn't have that disability check or didn't sue someone one for your fortune... I have. It is not fun.

Your way rewards people for laziness, bad decisions and weakness. The old fashion way gives everybody a way up and out if they work for it and be smart.

Unfortunately if you have a president that constantly enacts business killing policies and corruptly funnels taxpayer stimulus to unprofitable party donors, it is hard to do it the old fashioned way. And for a great portion, the welfare way is the only way...wehether they like it or not.

You are the lazy, weak and inept.
BBHC

Spring, TX

#15 Dec 7, 2012
wildcat wrote:
250000 is not middle class anywhere. Even in new York or California that amount is upper class, maybe not necessarily "rich" but upper class yes. If you made half of that in a year and live in ny or Cali you are still doing very well.
If you use a cost if living calculator,$250k lifestyle in NYC works out to 150K in NE TX.
wildcat

Arlington, TX

#16 Dec 7, 2012
BBHC wrote:
<quoted text>
If you use a cost if living calculator,$250k lifestyle in NYC works out to 150K in NE TX.
Yeah, I understand that. in that case, 150k a year even in the most upscale neighborhoods of Dallas is still upper class. If that amount of money isn't more than enough, you are overspending far too much. Middle class in Dallas is between 50 and 75 thousand. In Paris middle class is closer to 35. If you are making 150000 in Paris Texas you are the elite.
wildcat

Arlington, TX

#17 Dec 7, 2012
If 250000 is middle class than half of that or less would either be lower middle class or middle class as well. You can't tell me that 250k is in the same category as 150 or 80. You also can't logically say that anything above or in the range of 50000 is lower class.
BBHC

Spring, TX

#18 Dec 7, 2012
wildcat wrote:
If 250000 is middle class than half of that or less would either be lower middle class or middle class as well. You can't tell me that 250k is in the same category as 150 or 80. You also can't logically say that anything above or in the range of 50000 is lower class.
During the campaign, Romney defined middle class as topping out at 250K.
wildcat

Arlington, TX

#19 Dec 7, 2012
BBHC wrote:
<quoted text>
During the campaign, Romney defined middle class as topping out at 250K.
How can anyone possibly not only agree with that but act as if it is anywhere near being accurate? 250 thousand goes above and beyond middle class as does even 100 thousand. This is just one example of many as to why that arrogant prick list the election.
wildcat

Arlington, TX

#20 Dec 7, 2012
*lost

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was God a Christian? 33 min pearl 815
Favorite Bible Verses (Mar '11) 41 min Tactics 317
So let's talk about your business 1 hr because 49
Reno meth 2 hr Realaddress 12
Negroes at Work 5 hr ParisFoReal 9
PJC softball coach 8 hr skoolsports 4
Donald Trump 16 hr Hate clinton 2

Paris Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance