Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#164 May 14, 2012
Crazy wrote:
I can not believe the people that are defending this boy. Some consider this an accident, but drinking and then getting behind the wheel of a vehicle is NOT an accident. The boys all knew before hand they were going to a "party" to drink alcohol and more than likely get drunk. All children at this so called "party" should have turned their keys over to the adults that were there. There was a lot of irresponsibility all the way around, nonetheless accountabiliy has to play a factor. Since Keefer was driving then he is he one responsible and accountable...end of story!!! Drunk or not he was the one that got behind the wheel and drove. Shame on him...being all cool and getting drunk is not that fun now is it?? LOCK him up for a VERY LONG time!! This whole situation was senseless on so many levels. Do the CRIME...do the TIME!!! JMO...
Agree.
No No

United States

#165 May 14, 2012
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. I don't want to be out driving the same streets that a drunk person is driving on. I do think he should be punished for drinking and driving, I think anyone who drinks and drives should be, I just don't think he should be sent to jail for the other two kids dying. I get mad when they give people DUI but no jail time. I don't care if it is one drink or ten you are impaired! I also think Keefer knows that he should spend time in jail for the DUI and I think that they should set it up to where he gets to spend the two boys birthdays and major Holidays in Jail for a set amount of years. Thank you for correcting me! I knew two of the boys involved, Keefer and Dylan. It has crushed both families in different ways, The way the Ballards are dealing with it is inspirational. They are a very strong family and Dylan is greatly missed. I am unsure how long most people spend in jail for a DUI, it isn't long enough I am sure! I just think that the DUI should be the only crime he is charged with. I don't see how 20 years in prison will help the sitution and seeing people on here that want to throw the book at Keefer because they think he is not getting what they think he deserves is wrong. He plead guilty he knows he did wrong, what more do they want?
I agree. I don't see anything beneficial about his spending 20 years in prison. Even though he intentionally drank liquor , only an idiot would say he intentionally caused the wreck and intentionally caused the deaths of his friends. In that regard, it was an accident.

One could argue that an obese person intentionally ate too many hamburgers, fries, milk shakes, candy bars, etc but didn't intentionally cause his cholesterol to get out of control. But, since there are consequences to every action , he must learn that unhealthy eating can be catastrophic and sometimes even deadly. So that person needs to come to terms with his wrong decisions and make amends by changing his actions.

I feel sorry for Keefer in that he had to learn a lesson the hard way. But, I feel worse for the families of the young men who lost their lives.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#166 May 14, 2012
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. I don't want to be out driving the same streets that a drunk person is driving on. I do think he should be punished for drinking and driving, I think anyone who drinks and drives should be, I just don't think he should be sent to jail for the other two kids dying. I get mad when they give people DUI but no jail time. I don't care if it is one drink or ten you are impaired! I also think Keefer knows that he should spend time in jail for the DUI and I think that they should set it up to where he gets to spend the two boys birthdays and major Holidays in Jail for a set amount of years. Thank you for correcting me! I knew two of the boys involved, Keefer and Dylan. It has crushed both families in different ways, The way the Ballards are dealing with it is inspirational. They are a very strong family and Dylan is greatly missed. I am unsure how long most people spend in jail for a DUI, it isn't long enough I am sure! I just think that the DUI should be the only crime he is charged with. I don't see how 20 years in prison will help the sitution and seeing people on here that want to throw the book at Keefer because they think he is not getting what they think he deserves is wrong. He plead guilty he knows he did wrong, what more do they want?
If the book is thrown at Keefer and he gets punished for killing two other people, it MAY be a deterrent for other parents and kids driving drunk. What deterrence will there be for another kid not to take a carload driving with him when he is too drunk to drive, if Keefer gets absolutely no punishment for the death of two people?

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#167 May 14, 2012
Crazy wrote:
All children at this so called "party" should have turned their keys over to the adults that were there. There was a lot of irresponsibility all the way around, nonetheless accountabiliy has to play a factor.
Good point. However, no adults have ever been named as property owners, responsible for this party, or responsible for buying the liquor for the underage drinkers.

Sound fishy? Sure does.
agree

Rockwall, TX

#168 May 14, 2012
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>You know this does not concern anyone other than the families involved. I agree with WOW, they were all drinking and having a good time, it could have been any of the boys that drove the others home. They were not forced into the vehicle, they got in willingly. They were all close friends and it wasn't like Keefer did this on purpose. I am 100% against drinking and driving and I try to pass this on to my children but this could have been any of our children. You were not there so sit back and shut up. I will pray for all you idiots that have nothing better to do then whine about someone not going to jail over an accident!! It has nothing to do with Rich/Poor white/black...I LOVE how everytime something happens in this town that is the first thing that comes into everyones head. Keefer is a great person he works his butt off and does what he can. Shame on all of you that are wanting him to spend his life in jail!!
OMG REALLY ????? Yes the fu$CK IT DOES INVOLVE THIS WHOLE COMMUNITY PLUS SOME ... THAT COULD HAVE BEEN MY SON IN THAT DAMN TRUCK!!! I PITTY THIS LITTLE PUNK IF IT WAS MY CHILD!! JUSTICE WOULD BE SERVED ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!!!! Prefer another!!! GET A LIFE.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#169 May 14, 2012
Just my opinion wrote:
He will still learn to be accountable if given a chance.
Hogwash. That is a statement that you could never prove in or out of a court of law.
agree

Rockwall, TX

#170 May 14, 2012
Crazy wrote:
I can not believe the people that are defending this boy. Some consider this an accident, but drinking and then getting behind the wheel of a vehicle is NOT an accident. The boys all knew before hand they were going to a "party" to drink alcohol and more than likely get drunk. All children at this so called "party" should have turned their keys over to the adults that were there. There was a lot of irresponsibility all the way around, nonetheless accountabiliy has to play a factor. Since Keefer was driving then he is he one responsible and accountable...end of story!!! Drunk or not he was the one that got behind the wheel and drove. Shame on him...being all cool and getting drunk is not that fun now is it?? LOCK him up for a VERY LONG time!! This whole situation was senseless on so many levels. Do the CRIME...do the TIME!!! JMO...
AGREE 100% crazy. THIS PUNK NEEDS TO DO TIME THOUGH PERIOD!! IF IT WAS ANYONE ELSE IN THIS TOWN.... A nobody for instance he would have ALREADY BEEN GETTING BENT OVER IN PRISON.. Oops I dropped the SOAP BOY..

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#171 May 14, 2012
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
My brother was in an accident about five years ago where he was badly injured our Uncle was the one that was driving and both were drinking. He got ten years probation and has to spend the anniversary of the wreck, NYE, 4th of July, and several other days in jail. I think that works great. My brother willingly got into the car with him, why we don't know because both had safe rides home. The point is that it wouldn't have changed anything sending him to jail, He didn't force my brother into the car, who knows what people are going to do when they are drinking...Yes I think that it is wrong to drink and drive and yes if you are driving drunk and you hit another vehicle you should pay...if your friends willingly ride with you I think that the law should be different for that. They had the choice of going home another way, again ANY of those kids could have been driving!!! He should get some probation and fines because he knew better then to get behind the wheel but he shouldn't do jail time.
Perhaps being related made a difference. It could certainly make a difference in the defense or prosecution of the case, depending on who the family was.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#172 May 14, 2012
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference I was speaking of is that the children went with their grandmother because she told them to and they were in her care that day. When I tell my kids to get in the car they don't have a choice in it. I am the adult and they get in the car when I tell them to. The boys were all of driving age and they willingly got in the car. If 3-6 years is what is normally givin in this type of situation then so be it he should get it. I just don't think that he should get the book thrown at him for something that any of the four could have done.
Did they have driver's licenses? Did they have auto insurance that would have covered them driving someone else's car? Did they get left behind and had no other choice, other than to walk home or call their parents (heaven forbid)?

Were they all legally over the limit? If one of them wasn't, would Keefer have turned the truck keys over to them to drive home? I doubt it.

You don't know what you are talking about. You are simply downplaying the situation.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#173 May 14, 2012
No No wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. I don't see anything beneficial about his spending 20 years in prison. Even though he intentionally drank liquor , only an idiot would say he intentionally caused the wreck and intentionally caused the deaths of his friends. In that regard, it was an accident.
One could argue that an obese person intentionally ate too many hamburgers, fries, milk shakes, candy bars, etc but didn't intentionally cause his cholesterol to get out of control. But, since there are consequences to every action , he must learn that unhealthy eating can be catastrophic and sometimes even deadly. So that person needs to come to terms with his wrong decisions and make amends by changing his actions.
I feel sorry for Keefer in that he had to learn a lesson the hard way. But, I feel worse for the families of the young men who lost their lives.
One benefit to him spending 20 years in jail is that he would not kill anymore young people due to drinking and driving.
6Duh

Paris, TX

#174 May 14, 2012
6Bid wrote:
<quoted text>
Hogwash. That is a statement that you could never prove in or out of a court of law.
And it's a statement that you can not disprove.
Hahahaha

United States

#175 May 15, 2012
6Bid wrote:
<quoted text>
Hogwash. That is a statement that you could never prove in or out of a court of law.
You know all about hog washes, don't you?

That what you use for your bubble baths?
I Will

Paris, TX

#176 May 15, 2012
Just my opinion wrote:
I think vehicular manslaughter is a felony & two young men were killed as a result.
Every family in our area has been affected not just five. We all feel & have opinions regarding these types of tragedies.
Would it "help" to have him spend many years in prison ? No, it would totally break his spirit & that of all families involved. There's plenty to blame anyone for, but how do you temper your anger vs. constructive punishment ?
I, personally, think shock probation would best suit this young man, as well to be ordered to pay restitution (at least the funeral amounts) & 15 yrs parole/probation. He would be required to have a breathalyzer on any vehicle he were to operate for two years (at his own cost) & (only after a one year driving suspension). He would be required to attend many, many AA meetings as well as report to a parole office at least weekly.
To me that would be a lenient sentence, but still allow him to see daylight at the end of the tunnel.
Why crush his whole future ? He still has redeemable qualities.
We really seem to have some two faced opinions in this area of justice. A young man that was assualted with a club, then shot the intruder that broke into his business was sentenced to twenty years in prison. Where were these people asking for leniency during his trial time? The same pros and cons can be applied to him as Winn. Think about it and remember that we should treat all as equals.

Since: Oct 11

Richardson, TX

#177 May 15, 2012
20 years doesn't mean he will do all that time. He wouldn't even do half of the 20 years.
wonder

Clarksville, TX

#178 May 15, 2012
Wonder what the victim's families opinions on the subject are.
Reality

Talihina, OK

#179 May 15, 2012
Misty 78 wrote:
20 years doesn't mean he will do all that time. He wouldn't even do half of the 20 years.
He won't get close to twenty years. If there was any chance of such a long (not unreasonable, but long) sentence his attorney would have demanded a jury trial instead of pleading guilty. Likely he will get three years in prison as his sentence and will be out in one or two (with a long period of parole). As a convicted felon he will lose most of his civil rights (gun ownership, voting, freedom to move about the country without parole officers permission). Not stating this as an opinion of what should happen to whom, just a prediction of what is likely to happen to him.
joebobtula

Coppell, TX

#180 May 15, 2012
Jim Crow wrote:
This guy didn't get a change of venue.
Lamar County man sentenced to five years for accidental death
by Bill Hankins
The Paris News
Published April 24, 2011
A 39-year-old Lamar County man has been sentenced to five years in the Texas Criminal Justice System on a chargeof intoxicatedmanslaughter stemming from an accident that killed Amber Bryan in October of 2009.
Rodney Johnson pleaded guilty Thursday in 6th District Court in Lamar County, and Judge Eric Clifford passed sentence.
was it requested by the defense? was there sufficient reason for it to be granted? was the defendents right to a fair trial jepordized by holding the trial in lamar county?

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#181 May 15, 2012
6Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
And it's a statement that you can not disprove.
Don't have to. You're the one stupid enough to have said it. Not being able to prove it, simply shows you for the idiot you are.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#182 May 15, 2012
I Will wrote:
<quoted text>
We really seem to have some two faced opinions in this area of justice. A young man that was assualted with a club, then shot the intruder that broke into his business was sentenced to twenty years in prison. Where were these people asking for leniency during his trial time? The same pros and cons can be applied to him as Winn. Think about it and remember that we should treat all as equals.
You just happened to forget to mention that the young man, Brad Taylor, shot the intruder, 3 times outside in the parking lot of the business, one of which was in the back, which proved it was done in cold-blood and not necessary. You also forgot to mention that the person that was shot three times died.

You also didn't mention that both men had been best friends since the 5th grade, and were also both messed up with meth, marijuana, and who knows what else. You also didn't mention that while awaiting trial for killing Dustin Shelton, Brad went to Austin, TX and was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon there.

So you just keep talking about equality of the law, while obviously not caring a flip about anyone BREAKING the law.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#183 May 15, 2012
Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
He won't get close to twenty years. If there was any chance of such a long (not unreasonable, but long) sentence his attorney would have demanded a jury trial instead of pleading guilty. Likely he will get three years in prison as his sentence and will be out in one or two (with a long period of parole). As a convicted felon he will lose most of his civil rights (gun ownership, voting, freedom to move about the country without parole officers permission). Not stating this as an opinion of what should happen to whom, just a prediction of what is likely to happen to him.
Felons can vote in Texas now - bummer!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
paris fitness and aquatics (Sep '08) 18 min Curious Nelly 31
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 19 min Fossilfarts 18,782
City of Paris Vehicles 29 min wth 15
Paris Lakes hospital and shopping mall 37 min Disgusting 14
Is Obama Crazy?? 55 min washington redskins 6
Protesters at police station 1 hr washington redskins 16
PROTEST at Bo Exum Plumbing 1 hr Jack 87
Abbott received $1mil from Paris PEDC 4 hr Not really 39
Paris PD cause over $2000 in damage during sear... 6 hr Retired G-Man 53
Shoot out in Blossom 7 hr wallabo 82
pickle needs to resign 11 hr Rita 24

Paris News Video

Paris Dating
Find my Match

Paris Jobs

Paris People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Paris News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Paris

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]