Chihuahua dogs for asthma.

Posted in the Paris Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RRT

Paris, TX

#1 Apr 12, 2010
Are local doctors really telling their respiratory patients to get chihuahuas? A lady told me recently that her gynecologist told her to get a chihuahua for her asthma and it would also help her husband's emphysema. Do they really do any good?
Wow

Paris, TX

#2 Apr 12, 2010
Didn't know you could get asthma down there.
RRT

Paris, TX

#3 Apr 12, 2010
Wow wrote:
Didn't know you could get asthma down there.
Really, why was a gyn. advising about asthma?

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#4 Apr 12, 2010
RRT wrote:
Are local doctors really telling their respiratory patients to get chihuahuas? A lady told me recently that her gynecologist told her to get a chihuahua for her asthma and it would also help her husband's emphysema. Do they really do any good?
i dont no bowt no cherwarwas fer asma but we haf a hownd dawg and my old man swars he heps his gowt. old blue jest lays up by his feet at nite and by mornin tha swelin has don gon down. we had a cat onct thet noed whin sumbodie was goin ta die. thet litel felar was rite 3 owt a 4 times in my famly. tha numbir 4 won jest had a peese a biskit cot in her winpipe but thet cat skeered her so bad she got it up bafor she kiked tha buket.
agree

Kennedale, TX

#5 Apr 12, 2010
RRT wrote:
My kids had asthma when they were toddlers. Since we couldn't afford to move to a drier climate. We got a chihuahua instead, after my mother in law said this would help. The kids gradually stopped having so many attacks and actually has been asthma free for a good many yrs. One Dr. said they probably just grew out of it. But I would swear by it. Since then the only kind of inside dogs we own are the little ankle biters.
here ya go

Paris, TX

#6 Apr 12, 2010
I've lived by this for years! I had bronchitis when I was younger and my son has asthma! We don't own anything but this breed of dog and I swear they work!
just curious

Paris, TX

#7 Apr 12, 2010
RRT wrote:
I have had asthma all my life and I can tell you from experience they will make your asthma worse. I am deathly allergic to dogs and cats. Had one when I was young and it made mine worse.
so funny

Denver, CO

#8 Apr 12, 2010
Wow, you cracked me up. "didn't know you could get asthma down there"....just too funny.
voodoo

Paris, TX

#9 Apr 12, 2010
uh huh

Paris, TX

#10 Apr 12, 2010
just curious wrote:
<quoted text> I have had asthma all my life and I can tell you from experience they will make your asthma worse. I am deathly allergic to dogs and cats. Had one when I was young and it made mine worse.
If you're allergic to dogs, then that has nothing to do with chihuauas being good for asthma since they would make you worse whether you had asthma to begin with or not! I'm sorry that it didn't work for you, but it really has nothing at all to do with the dog and everything to do with your allergy!
just curious

Paris, TX

#11 Apr 12, 2010
uh huh wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're allergic to dogs, then that has nothing to do with chihuauas being good for asthma since they would make you worse whether you had asthma to begin with or not! I'm sorry that it didn't work for you, but it really has nothing at all to do with the dog and everything to do with your allergy!
I beg to differ with you . allergies have a lot to do with asthma . Do you have asthma ? please do not tell me that I don`t know what I am talking about .
asthmatic

Paris, TX

#12 Apr 12, 2010
Come on people, chihuahuas have no positive effect on asthma, if anything they make it worse. If you have ever had asthma, you still have it. There is no cure at this time. You may not be symptomatic, but you still have the disease. It is not a contagious disease, so you can't "give" it to the dog. You can't out grow the disease either. Once again, if you have ever been correctly diagnosed with asthma, you still have it.
Thankfully there are wonderful drugs to control the symptoms.
RRT

Paris, TX

#13 Apr 12, 2010
just curious wrote:
<quoted text> I beg to differ with you . allergies have a lot to do with asthma . Do you have asthma ? please do not tell me that I don`t know what I am talking about .
You are correct. Allergies have a lot to do with asthma.
just curious

Paris, TX

#14 Apr 12, 2010
asthmatic wrote:
Come on people, chihuahuas have no positive effect on asthma, if anything they make it worse. If you have ever had asthma, you still have it. There is no cure at this time. You may not be symptomatic, but you still have the disease. It is not a contagious disease, so you can't "give" it to the dog. You can't out grow the disease either. Once again, if you have ever been correctly diagnosed with asthma, you still have it.
Thankfully there are wonderful drugs to control the symptoms.
Thank you!
breathineasy

United States

#15 Apr 12, 2010
my 8 year old suffers from asthma, usually allergy induced, but I was told by several pediatricians that she could possibly out grow it. My husband suffered from asthma as a child, he's 27 now, and hasn't had any signs of asthma for over 10 years..
Wondering

Dallas, TX

#16 Apr 12, 2010
Whatever
Wise old dog

Paris, TX

#17 Apr 13, 2010
I've suffered with sever asthma and allergies for over 30 years, during that time I've had 4 chihuahua's (they have a long lifespan). Only one of the 4 every influenced my asthma. He would lay on my chest and the night and if I wasn't breathing right, he would wake me up. This had nothing to do with breed, just the dog personality. Chihuahua's do not stop or prevent asthma (nor do they "take it away"). However if you are an animal lover and prefer furry to fishy, they are the best choice (excluding long haired ones). Because they are small, have short hair and spend most of the time indoors on furniture and laps, they do not have as many dust mits and other asthma triggers on their fur, and they shed less then most. Keep this in mind before getting one, too many people get a one without researching the breed and personality. They are not for everyone, but perfect for someone.
patty

Beavercreek, OR

#18 Feb 12, 2012
My sister had severe asthma as a child. She spend a lot of time in oxygen tents in the emergency ward. My mother was advised to get a chihuahua that their body oils were helpful to asthma patients. You could always hear my sister breathing through the house. The first night the dog slept with her, after a while you could not hear my sister breathing. My mom paniced thinking the dog had killed her and slung the dog across the room grabing my sister just to find she was breathing normal. Then she rushed to the dog. We always had a chihuahua till my sister got married. She still has asthma, but being a military wife and moving around could not have a dog, so she does the drugs. They don't help her near as well as the dog did.

It's going to be different for everyone. Different chimistries get different results, same as with drugs.
patty

Beavercreek, OR

#19 Feb 12, 2012
ps we lived in Paris, TX at the time.
I really

Longview, TX

#20 Feb 13, 2012
Yea and if you eat a fresh cat turd. It will cure the kidney stones

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nikki Norton 1 hr unTactics 108
Coal Burner Still Missing After 1 Year 3 hr Dr Philip 9
Sick of Marie Osmond Commercial (Nov '13) 5 hr Rocky burke 29
Beulah Woods (Nov '08) 5 hr just me 63
Lawsuit against "John Doe" (Jan '14) 7 hr SMH 83
Petition to raise minimum wage to $12 an hour!; 7 hr Sargent Shultz 27
Trade Days Flea Market 10 hr Stinky 4

Paris Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance