Motorized Wheel Chairs

Posted in the Paris Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
concerned

Paris, TX

#1 Jan 25, 2013
There are a lot of people in our city that use Motorized Wheel Chairs as a means to get from here to there, the problem is that they use them as a car , driving down the middle of the road , endangering themselves and others. I know that it is very useful for someone who can no longer walk , but most of them could not obtain a drivers license if there life depended on it. My concern is that nothing will be done , unless or until someone get's hurt. It may sound cruel, but maybe they should get a ticket . Is it against the law to drive a motorized wheel chair on the street?
Answer Man

Paris, TX

#2 Jan 25, 2013
It is not against the law.
concerned

Paris, TX

#3 Jan 25, 2013
The City of Paris has been making progress with the new handicapped curb's and redoing sidewalk's. It is a step in the right direction. Maybe when they are finished these Motorized Wheel Chairs would have a safer way to travel.
lazyfolks

United States

#4 Jan 25, 2013
Isn't that the reason the city is adding ramps to the sidewalks? Those lazy people won't use the sidewalks and will continue to ride them in the street. The city could have saved that money to replace water pipes that keep busting! Half of the people that ride in one are too fat and lazy, a good old walk around the block wouldn't hurt them anyway!!
Answer Man

Paris, TX

#5 Jan 25, 2013
lazyfolks wrote:
Isn't that the reason the city is adding ramps to the sidewalks? Those lazy people won't use the sidewalks and will continue to ride them in the street. The city could have saved that money to replace water pipes that keep busting! Half of the people that ride in one are too fat and lazy, a good old walk around the block wouldn't hurt them anyway!!
The city isn't replacing the curbs and ramps -- TXDOT is.
lazyfolks

United States

#6 Jan 25, 2013
City workers are across the street working on them. So who paying them to do the work?
Paris Person

Paris, TX

#7 Jan 25, 2013
It is a mobility aid, just like a walker or a cane. Those people have a same rights as a pedestrian and should be treated as such. While some abuse them, most don't. So, have some HEART you cold hearted bastards!
just a little fyi

Paris, TX

#8 Jan 25, 2013
People using them on the street is one reason why our insurance companies are tightening their belts! Those power-chairs are not for use on the streets in fact if insurance companies get wind of that is the intended use they deny the claims. They are strictly to be used around the home. Not only that but when people use them on the roads they tend to tear up and believe it or not your tax dollars pay to fix them! The batteries can not handle that type if abuse and for medicare to replace them is anywhere between $200-400 depending on the chair. Its people like that who are causing all of the issues with medicare/medicaid and why it is so hard now for people to get the things they actually do need!
concerned

Paris, TX

#9 Jan 25, 2013
To Paris Person, you do not pedestrian's walking in the middle of the street with there walker's or cane's do you? I have to pay tax , title and have a driver's license , and have may car inspected yearly., not to mention insurance! The government does not pay for my ride! It should be against the law having them on the street's. One of them was ridding in the middle lane today and had traffic stopped, no one could get around him. He also looked either drunk or over medicated. It is a shame to have to stop and wait on someone in that condition. Pedestrian's have to obey the law also.
lol

United States

#10 Jan 26, 2013
im calling it now,,,by the end of next year there will be at least a dozen of them roll down around sonic on lamar st.with 20" spinners, a babyseat tied to the front, and some gansta beats bumpin in the back.
what the

Dallas, TX

#11 Jan 26, 2013
just a little fyi wrote:
People using them on the street is one reason why our insurance companies are tightening their belts! Those power-chairs are not for use on the streets in fact if insurance companies get wind of that is the intended use they deny the claims. They are strictly to be used around the home. Not only that but when people use them on the roads they tend to tear up and believe it or not your tax dollars pay to fix them! The batteries can not handle that type if abuse and for medicare to replace them is anywhere between $200-400 depending on the chair. Its people like that who are causing all of the issues with medicare/medicaid and why it is so hard now for people to get the things they actually do need!
Yeah, when someone gets to the point they can't walk without assistance they should be put away? Do you think their enjoyment of life is enhanced when they are able to get out of the house? You people are typical redneck republicans that hate anything to do with helping poor or handicapped. Instead of feeling good about seeing someone able to get around you just think that they should be locked up somewhere.
Paris Person

Paris, TX

#12 Jan 26, 2013
concerned wrote:
To Paris Person, you do not pedestrian's walking in the middle of the street with there walker's or cane's do you? I have to pay tax , title and have a driver's license , and have may car inspected yearly., not to mention insurance! The government does not pay for my ride! It should be against the law having them on the street's. One of them was ridding in the middle lane today and had traffic stopped, no one could get around him. He also looked either drunk or over medicated. It is a shame to have to stop and wait on someone in that condition. Pedestrian's have to obey the law also.
So you are saying that unless I can walk on my own two legs, I have no legal right to be on a public street that is paid for by the tax payers. This would include the person that paid his or her fair share of taxes for those very streets back when they were younger and healthy.
So my Question to you is, what about all the teenagers that walk down the middle of the street, and what about bicycles that don't require tags or insurance? Sounds to me like you think you own the streets.I bet you are one of those azzhole drivers that speeds down the street 20mph over and could care less about anyone but yourself.
just a little fyi

Paris, TX

#13 Jan 26, 2013
what the wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, when someone gets to the point they can't walk without assistance they should be put away? Do you think their enjoyment of life is enhanced when they are able to get out of the house? You people are typical redneck republicans that hate anything to do with helping poor or handicapped. Instead of feeling good about seeing someone able to get around you just think that they should be locked up somewhere.
I didn't not say anything even remotely close to what you are suggesting! The fact is that the people that use them for their sole transportation on the roads is not only dangerous but it is preventing other people that need to have them around their homes from getting them. I work with medicare everyday and if you saw how strict everything has become just because of things like that most people cant even get what they need anymore. Also their are services that will come pick up the elderly and disabled and take them around wherever they need to go. I know of some churches and their use to be a service that would pick them up for a dollar.
Answer Man

Paris, TX

#14 Jan 26, 2013
lazyfolks wrote:
City workers are across the street working on them. So who paying them to do the work?
It's not city workers -- it's a company contracted by TXDOT. If the city does have workers there, they're not working on curb and sidewalk cuts.
pimp notice

Paris, TX

#15 Jan 26, 2013
well who ever it is my hoes and other pimps alike just want to say thank you for upgrading our property and that business will be back to normal within a few days. we are sorry for sorry for any conveniance
duhmas

Paris, TX

#16 Jan 31, 2013
they are not for street use!
Easy money

Union City, GA

#17 Jan 31, 2013
Don't worry somebody texting or drinking and driving will get them off the road!
MyGoodness

United States

#18 Jan 31, 2013
concerned wrote:
There are a lot of people in our city that use Motorized Wheel Chairs as a means to get from here to there, the problem is that they use them as a car , driving down the middle of the road , endangering themselves and others. I know that it is very useful for someone who can no longer walk , but most of them could not obtain a drivers license if there life depended on it. My concern is that nothing will be done , unless or until someone get's hurt. It may sound cruel, but maybe they should get a ticket . Is it against the law to drive a motorized wheel chair on the street?
maybe the city should look into the lack of sidewalks, most of them can't even be walked on, much less ridden on.
MyGoodness

United States

#19 Jan 31, 2013
lazyfolks wrote:
it is a company out of minnesota doing the work.
lol

United States

#20 Jan 31, 2013
just a little fyi wrote:
according to the commercials they can take you to the grand canyon or statue of liberty.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drama Queen you know who 4 min willie 1
Coal Burner Still Missing After 1 Year 9 min Tactics 22
goodbye mexicans 20 min LMAO 10
Welfare abusers 59 min unTactics 10
Balloon festival 1 hr unTactics 6
Word Vomit 1 hr Tactics 11
Favorite Bible Verses (Mar '11) 1 hr Tactics 44

Paris Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance