making soap
wondering

Sunset, TX

#1 Nov 11, 2012
I was thinking about making my own soap. I am curious if there are a lot of people who do this. Bar soap and shampoo...

Does anyone have any tips from their experiences that they would like to share?

“Ok, maybe I know a little bit.”

Since: Sep 12

But I don't know that.

#2 Nov 12, 2012
wondering wrote:
I was thinking about making my own soap. I am curious if there are a lot of people who do this. Bar soap and shampoo...
Does anyone have any tips from their experiences that they would like to share?
I used to. There are books available for recipes. The method I used is called cold process because it uses the heat created by the lye and water to process instead of cooking over a fire.There are safety things to know. Lye attracts moisture from the air so even if it gets on you dry it will burn you. When you add water dangerous heat, fumes, and extremely caustic chemical reactions can hurt you. Lye can etch working materials so once you use them for soap making you cant use them again for food or bacteria can be trapped. I used red devil lye, which they dont make any more. I haven't made soap since so I am not sure where to get your lye. Made well this is one of the best soaps you will ever use. Sorry if that is more info than you wanted.
hopehelps

Clarksville, TX

#3 Nov 12, 2012
I used to buy from a company in Tyler Texas called Starrville Soap & Candle. They have everything you need that you can't buy local, and they are familiar with the use of their products and can offer helpful advice. The shipping is fair if you don't want to drive. If you can find out who it was, there was someone offering free soap samples at the fair this year. I have already used my free sample and wish I had bought a few bars while I was there. Soap making is very cost effective and practical, especially if you have particular uses or someone with allergies.
Tyler Durden

United States

#4 Nov 12, 2012
Soap you say....
wondering

Holdenville, OK

#5 Nov 13, 2012
Thanks for the information...I appreciate it very much!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police Report 2015 48 min A Better Paris 1
Ciy of Paris Engineer 2 hr WOW 18
Trump Surges in the Polls 2 hr About Bush 11
Paris streets 2 hr Dusty Roads 3
Interested in a murder 3 hr Just sayin 45
Missing Woman 3 hr Just sayin 2
Gooday Weekend 8 hr News Junkie 2
north lamar 11 hr Wow 18
Reno New Bussiness 19 hr WOW 12
More from around the web