Florida Mom Drunk - Killed 4 Kids & Herself

Posted in the Paris Forum

Maybe

Arlington, TX

#1 Oct 7, 2012
Florida mother was drunk when she killed herself and her 4 kids. Her mug shot from 2002 looks like she was wayyyyyy drunk and/or strung out on crack cocaine or something.

We need a better way of keeping guns out of the hands of someone like her.

Too bad she just didn't go ahead and kill herself and leave the kids alone.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Maybe

Arlington, TX

#2 Oct 7, 2012
killed 4 kids, self

Tonya Thomas is seen in a 2002 booking mug provided by the Brevard County, Fla., Sheriff's Office. Authorities say Thomas, 33, shot and killed her four children before killing herself on May 15 in Port St. John, Fla.

By NBC News staff

A Florida woman who fatally shot her four children before killing herself in May was drunk at the time, according to autopsy reports.

Tonya Thomas had a blood-alcohol level of 0.16 percent -- two times the legal limit, according to reports cited by floridatoday.com . That's the equivalent of approximately 10 drinks for a woman her height and weight, Bruce Goldberger, a professor and the director of toxicology in the Department of Pathology, Immunology and Laboratory Medicine at the University of Florida College of Medicine, told floridatoday.com .

----------

Advertise | AdChoices

Thomas, 33, of Port St. John, used a .38-caliber revolver to shoot Joel Johnson, 12, Jazzlyn Johnson, 13, Jaxs Johnson, 15, and Pebbles Johnson, 17, before killing herself at the family’s home early May 15, police said. A total of 19 shots were fired and each child was struck multiple times.

Though Thomas was impaired by alcohol at the time, police still don’t know why she killed her children.

“We’re not going to know the answer to that question, because she’s deceased,” Brevard County Sheriff’s Lt. Tod Goodyear told floridatoday.com .“She’s the lone person responsible for the deaths.”

This is a good example why we do need gun control.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#3 Oct 7, 2012
Maybe wrote:
This is a good example why we do need gun control.
Disagree.

May the children rest in peace. They must have had a horrible life.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Maybe

Arlington, TX

#4 Oct 7, 2012
6Bid wrote:
<quoted text>
Disagree.
May the children rest in peace. They must have had a horrible life.
You certainly have a right to your opinion, but, we DO need gun control. And the story is a good example. Not talking about making it illegal for EVERYONE to own guns, but it apparent we do need better control than what we have now.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Has to be more

Arlington, TX

#5 Oct 7, 2012
I find it hard to believe she was "only" drunk. How could someone get so drunk that they kill their children and themself. There has got to be more to the story, or the results from the drug tests are not back yet. I just do not see alcohol being the only factor here. So sad for the children. Where was her family, from the mug shot this was not her first run in with alcohol and or drugs. This lady must have been on the road to destruction for quite some time. Too bad the children got caught in the middle of her breakdown.
May God grab ahold and Bless the children.
Unanimously

United States

#6 Oct 7, 2012
Something like this happened out towards the river here in Paris. I wonder why a mother who is going to do herself in feels the children are a part of her and she has a right to kill them with her. I wish someone had reported her mental or drug addiction and regret she killed herself, but it is pure murder to kill your on children even if they are unborn. This was a selfish act. If you want to harm your self leave them to someone who can't have children or even gay couples, but don't kill your babies.
Sunrise

Arlington, TX

#7 Oct 7, 2012
Maybe wrote:
<quoted text>You certainly have a right to your opinion, but, we DO need gun control. And the story is a good example. Not talking about making it illegal for EVERYONE to own guns, but it apparent we do need better control than what we have now.
What controls would you put on guns that would prevent something of this nature from happening? Can these dranged people use only a gun that they own? Could it be possible for them to get access to a gun that they don't own?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Dr Freud speaks

Greenville, TX

#8 Oct 7, 2012
Maybe wrote:
Florida mother was drunk when she killed herself and her 4 kids. Her mug shot from 2002 looks like she was wayyyyyy drunk and/or strung out on crack cocaine or something.
We need a better way of keeping guns out of the hands of someone like her.
Too bad she just didn't go ahead and kill herself and leave the kids alone.
There can only be two reasons for your posting this article and making inane remarks about gun control.

1.) "Project" much? Just because you may feel you have underlying rage issues and are scared of what you might do if drunk and around a weapon, doesn't mean everyone else does. If you are that scared, then seek professional help if you can afford it. This is being said in earnest and not meant as ridicule.

2.) Fascist much? You may have control issues and want everyone to be under either your own control, or the control of like-minded people who actually have the guts to try to disarm Americans. Again, psychological help is a good idea here as well.

90,000,000 (90 Million) gun owners in the US yesterday did not harm or kill anyone. If she had killed them with a knife, or drowned them, would you be calling for restrictions on knives and bathrooms? Why are you not advocating restrictions on alcohol? Again that is not wise either, just merely making a point at your obvious ruse here.

What are you true motives here? Don't even try to convince anyone it's about "the children", that old propaganda lie is laughable now.

Isolated incidents happen, and tragic as they may be, some context is needed instead of mindless hysteria and talk about getting rid of,or even restricting in any way, the MOST BASIC HUMAN RIGHT of all, to be armed for your own protection.
Maybe

Arlington, TX

#9 Oct 8, 2012
Dr Freud speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
There can only be two reasons for your posting this article and making inane remarks about gun control.
1.) "Project" much? Just because you may feel you have underlying rage issues and are scared of what you might do if drunk and around a weapon, doesn't mean everyone else does. If you are that scared, then seek professional help if you can afford it. This is being said in earnest and not meant as ridicule.
2.) Fascist much? You may have control issues and want everyone to be under either your own control, or the control of like-minded people who actually have the guts to try to disarm Americans. Again, psychological help is a good idea here as well.
90,000,000 (90 Million) gun owners in the US yesterday did not harm or kill anyone. If she had killed them with a knife, or drowned them, would you be calling for restrictions on knives and bathrooms? Why are you not advocating restrictions on alcohol? Again that is not wise either, just merely making a point at your obvious ruse here.
What are you true motives here? Don't even try to convince anyone it's about "the children", that old propaganda lie is laughable now.
Isolated incidents happen, and tragic as they may be, some context is needed instead of mindless hysteria and talk about getting rid of,or even restricting in any way, the MOST BASIC HUMAN RIGHT of all, to be armed for your own protection.
You could not be more wrong and you certainly are no Dr Freud.
I don't have any answers as to how to control guns, or the degree to which it needs controll. I don't have any of the mental issues you copied and pasted.
What I do have concern for is innocent - and yes, that includes children as well as adults - people who are killed almost daily ny gun weilding maniacs who are strung out on crack or heroin, or are otherwise mentally impaired.
I am a healthy, educated middle class grandmother who doesn't have anyone in my family who has ever been a victim of any kind of violence or have ever perpetrated any.
It just breaks my heart when I read about innocent children ( regardless of what you say ) bring killed or mistreated. I care when people are allowed to obtain weapons and use them for reasons other than protection.
Some sort of gun control is definetly needed. I don't have the answer and needless to say, you don't either.
concern

Wylie, TX

#10 Oct 8, 2012
Agree with gun control .. but what about drinking and beening drunk..why cant we just try to stop it all .. Do away w all alcohol and drugs right..then u wont have all these crazy messed up people

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
HAHA

Greenville, TX

#11 Oct 8, 2012
Maybe wrote:
<quoted text>You could not be more wrong and you certainly are no Dr Freud.
I don't have any of the mental issues you copied and pasted.
What I do have concern for is innocent - and yes, that includes children as well as adults

I am a healthy, educated middle class grandmother who doesn't have anyone in my family who has ever been a victim of any kind of violence or have ever perpetrated any.
It just breaks my heart when I read about innocent children ( regardless of what you say ) bring killed or mistreated. I care when people are allowed to obtain weapons and use them for reasons other than protection.
Some sort of gun control is definetly needed. I don't have the answer and needless to say, you don't either.
Point of fact I do have a Doctorates in Psychology Psy.D. from Baylor.

Point of fact, from a cursory reading of your postings and from my experience as to why people behave in your manner, my information was legitimate and should be taken to heart. I was not condecending nor accusatory in my tone, merely trying to help ease your pain with free medical advice. Who doesn't want that these days right? ha

The fact that you mention you have never been, nor know anyone who has been, a victim of violence, is typical of one of the two groups of anti-freedom/anti-gun proponents. The "sheltered" group lives free of the burden of having to protect themselves because either they are protected by hired armed men, or live in a more upscale environment that is typically free of crime. Never having had the need to protect themselves, they tend to have a discolored viewpoint of reality and the need for self-protection that most average citizens do.

Pathos seems to rule your appeal and the reasoning portion of your psyche, and that tends to lead to emotional outbursts as you exhibit.

I never claimed to have an "answer" to the problem of insane people who kill for no reason, but gun control is obviously not an answer as has been proven time and time again.

There will always be crazy people out there, so it's best to be ready to protect yourself, and to argue that an inanimate object is to blame is beyond illogical.
heartbroken

Paris, TX

#12 Oct 9, 2012
Dr Freud speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't need a bunch of your pycho-babble. This was a horrible act of selfish violence committed by a "mother" on her own kids.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Arlington, TX

#13 Oct 9, 2012
HAHA wrote:
<quoted text>
Point of fact, from a cursory reading of your postings and from my experience as to why people behave in your manner, my information was legitimate and should be taken to heart. I was not condecending nor accusatory in my tone, merely trying to help ease your pain with free medical advice. Who doesn't want that these days right? ha
The fact that you mention you have never been, nor know anyone who has been, a victim of violence, is typical of one of the two groups of anti-freedom/anti-gun proponents. The "sheltered" group lives free of the burden of having to protect themselves because either they are protected by hired armed men, or live in a more upscale environment that is typically free of crime. Never having had the need to protect themselves, they tend to have a discolored viewpoint of reality and the need for self-protection that most average citizens do.
Pathos seems to rule your appeal and the reasoning portion of your psyche, and that tends to lead to emotional outbursts as you exhibit.
I never claimed to have an "answer" to the problem of insane people who kill for no reason, but gun control is obviously not an answer as has been proven time and time again.
There will always be crazy people out there, so it's best to be ready to protect yourself, and to argue that an inanimate object is to blame is beyond illogical.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. You are boring. Most AVERAGE citizens feel a need for protection? You sound psychotic to me.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Arlington, TX

#14 Oct 9, 2012
HAHA wrote:
<quoted text>
Just curiois~ do you take your guns with you to church ( assuming you do attend church ), to kroger , the airport, to the movies, to a school function like a ballgame, to your childs play at school, to dinner at a nice steakhouse or to McDonalds? Do you take your gun with you when you visit relatives or friends? Do you take your gun with you when you go to the mall to shop for clothing? Do you take your gun with you when you go to work> Do you take your gun with you when you go to a library or to a voting place?
Do you take your gun with you when you play golf, tennis or baseball in a public facility?

I mean, you do feel the need for protection, right?

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#15 Oct 10, 2012
If someone had a gun in the movie theater, less people would have been killed.
sportsfan

Paris, TX

#16 Oct 10, 2012
Just try to come in on me in my home and you'll see what my six-shooter will do for you! NRA! NRA!
OMG

Dallas, TX

#17 Oct 10, 2012
sportsfan wrote:
Just try to come in on me in my home and you'll see what my six-shooter will do for you! NRA! NRA!
If someone tries to break into my home , I will defend myself too. But, there is a big difference in defending yourself in your own home and carrying guns to church, movie theaters, shopping malls, school functions, dining places and museums, etc. If everyone in the colorado theater had been carrying guns, it would have resulted in extreme panic and a shoot 'em up with a huge number of deaths. Instead of a barroom brawl it would have been like the OK corral, or, more likely - The Wild Bunch.
Spoiled American

United States

#18 Oct 10, 2012
I was shocked that the woman in Dallas this week who super glued her small child hands to the wall while she beat her into a 4 day comma. And now the defense's attorney has a psychiatrist trying to say she was just stressed and should receive a lighter sentence. And then the 25 yr old girl and mother of 4 mother testified that her daughter just needed psychological help and pleaded to the Judge that she took all the blame for her daughter's actions.

So sorry this act is beyond barbaric and she should get the 99 yr sentence which would probably let her get out on probation much sooner even at that. Suffer the children. I do not believe post baby blues is justifiable also for drowning kids or any form of violence to babies. You don't own your kids or have the right to decide if they live or die. All such cases should have the mother fixed and never be allowed to be around children and register as a child abuser after time or even the death penalty. Gun control isn't relevant to this. You can kill a child anyway on earth. A gun might make it more easy but knifes kill just as fast as guns, and should we ban all knives.
mankind

Paris, TX

#19 Oct 11, 2012
Spoiled American wrote:
I was shocked that the woman in Dallas this week who super glued her small child hands to the wall while she beat her into a 4 day comma. And now the defense's attorney has a psychiatrist trying to say she was just stressed and should receive a lighter sentence. And then the 25 yr old girl and mother of 4 mother testified that her daughter just needed psychological help and pleaded to the Judge that she took all the blame for her daughter's actions.
So sorry this act is beyond barbaric and she should get the 99 yr sentence which would probably let her get out on probation much sooner even at that. Suffer the children. I do not believe post baby blues is justifiable also for drowning kids or any form of violence to babies. You don't own your kids or have the right to decide if they live or die. All such cases should have the mother fixed and never be allowed to be around children and register as a child abuser after time or even the death penalty. Gun control isn't relevant to this. You can kill a child anyway on earth. A gun might make it more easy but knifes kill just as fast as guns, and should we ban all knives.
If this woman is a "mother", then I'm the Tooth Fairy. She gave birth to a child then horribly tortured this baby, she's no mother. Prison is fitting for such a cold-hearted person.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AG Ruling Release of PEDC Report Agrees with City 4 min Huh 12
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 19 min That Fart Guy 22,543
When did Dr. Hashmi hire Danny Defenbaugh to i... 44 min Huh 14
PRMC to take over Clarksville hospital 48 min Asking 25
As expected PEDC 1 hr No surprise 2
Channel 8 at tonights meeting 1 hr Pissed TaxPayer 13
Taxpayers Paying For Toilets Kenya 1 hr Anonymous 3
PEDC Unconstitutional? 2 hr Pissed TaxPayer 68
Threats Against Public Officals 3 hr Berl 45
Message for Benny Plata 16 hr Anon 4
•••

Paris News Video

•••
•••