Pell Grant Fraud
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Financial Advisor

Houston, TX

#1 Sep 5, 2010
How to Report Fraudulent Use of a Pell Grant

Pell Grant fraudulent charges are taken very seriously as it is a federal crime. Fraud charges can result in job/school suspension, jail time and huge fines. Currently, there is no direct form or online tool with the Federal Student Aid Department to report Pell Grant fraud. The Federal Student Aid Department will refer you to the financial aid counselor of the university where the fraud occurred. Pell Grant fraud must first be reported to the financial counselor of that student's school. The financial counselor then will gather evidence and verify the case before it goes to higher authorities.

Instructions

Things you’ll need: Letters, emails and other evidence of Pell Grant fraud , contact information of the financial aid counselor at the school the person in question attends.

First, set up an appointment with the financial aid counselor of the school the student in question attends or attended during the time when the Pell Grant fraud occurred.

Second, discuss the evidence with the financial aid counselor concerning the fraud charge. Give the financial aid counselor all relevant evidence, including letters, emails and so on. You may want to preserve copies for yourself.

Third, remain in contact with the financial aid counselor as she conducts an investigation into the fraud charge. You may need to fill out additional paperwork concerning the investigation. Additional paperwork may include police reports, court affidavits, and statements about your evidence and the fraud charge.
Aolain

United States

#2 Sep 5, 2010
I am not an expert on this at all.

But, I know a lot of the for profit "universities" certainly look upon the Pell Grants as an income source.

Indeed, in my opinion, a lot of these for profits (they are starting to call themselves "private") are simply there to get Pell Grants and provide their students with diplomas that are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Just my 2 cents.
Russ T Cobb

Oklahoma City, OK

#3 Sep 5, 2010
I don't know that much about the Pell grants now; but my daughter had to rely on part-time work and moderate student loans to finance her college. Her parents were sandwiched between being "poor enough" and "rich enough" to be of aid to her college financing. I could have taken 3 months off my job without pay during her last year at HS and qualified for a Pell grant; yet was not well off enough to give her a lot of financial help myself. There may be some fraud around though; as is most always the case with those programs.

Since: Aug 10

United States

#4 Sep 5, 2010
Russ:

Yeah, the "middle-middle class" really gets squeezed. Especially as states have cut funding (per capita) to state university systems over the last 15 years.

One of the tricks that some students will pull is to sign up for, say 16 hours. Get the grant and then drop, say, a number of hours.

Like I said, I am not familiar with all the ins and outs, but the above was a common dodge to get cash into students hands.

I think the government is on the hunt for this nowadays.

The problem is that the middle class really is getting squeezed, and we risk coming to the place where only the rich can afford college.
Financial Advisor

Houston, TX

#5 Sep 6, 2010
Aolain wrote:
One of the tricks that some students will pull is to sign up for, say 16 hours. Get the grant and then drop, say, a number of hours.
Looks like the lonesome_me poster is one of these students. He made sure right away that this Topix discussion was pushed down from the top.

I've got news for this lonesome_me poster and that is everyone who has recieved a Pell Grant this year has automatically been put into a fraud alert data base for investigation, as to see if the money was used for the intended purpose and if the student drops out of school shortly after recieving the money that will automatically raise a red flag. Our government is strapped hard for money and feel they can more than triple their Pell Grant money if they fine people who have committed Pell Grant fraud.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#6 Sep 6, 2010
Financial Advisor wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like the lonesome_me poster is one of these students. He made sure right away that this Topix discussion was pushed down from the top.
I've got news for this lonesome_me poster and that is everyone who has recieved a Pell Grant this year has automatically been put into a fraud alert data base for investigation, as to see if the money was used for the intended purpose and if the student drops out of school shortly after recieving the money that will automatically raise a red flag. Our government is strapped hard for money and feel they can more than triple their Pell Grant money if they fine people who have committed Pell Grant fraud.
Financial Advisor first i will ask if you are a government employee and are doing or working for an orginization created by the Obama Admin. Like the Medicare fraud task force which cost the taxpayers about 75% more in salaries than what they saved on the investigations. I for one think all young men and women need an education. Plus if the colleges and persons involved in giving the grants were doing their jobs that they were paid to do there would be no fraud or at least very little.

Since: Aug 10

United States

#7 Sep 6, 2010
Phantom:

The government began to look closely (and I mean closely) at financial aid fraud during the Bush Administration.

This has nothing to do with political ideology.

It is called a crime, fraud.
Clean

Paris, TX

#8 Sep 6, 2010
They ain't lookin too close or I wouldn't be able to ride in my Lexus and my daddy in his caddy (Esclade) while I run my store and get my free summer college and free college next year!
kyle

United States

#9 Sep 6, 2010
I think my ex wife lied when she fill out papers to get my daughter a pell grant. She has never worked at a job so she kept begging me to give her a copy of my tax returnes but I never did. My daughter never lived with me and that would be telling a lie to get that money. I found out later that she somehow(from my tax service, her friends I bet) had my tax information and applyed for the money and got it. Do not get me wrong. I wanted her to go to college but her rich uncle had money put back for her full college fund and my son too. He has no kids so he has been saving all these years just for them but for my ex to use my info to get in her words (free money) is not right. She is the one who got that money to make her car payment not for the school tuition. I have been trying to find out how much she might have gotten but I was told that this info is my daughters personal stuff and not mine. My daughter will not tell me anything because she does not want her mom to get in trouble for the lies she told to get it. I wish I knew what to do to find out exactly how much she got and what I can do about it without my daughter paying the price for her moms crooked ways.
Financial Advisor

Houston, TX

#10 Sep 6, 2010
kyle wrote:
I think my ex wife lied when she fill out papers to get my daughter a pell grant. She has never worked at a job so she kept begging me to give her a copy of my tax returnes but I never did. My daughter never lived with me and that would be telling a lie to get that money. I found out later that she somehow(from my tax service, her friends I bet) had my tax information and applyed for the money and got it. Do not get me wrong. I wanted her to go to college but her rich uncle had money put back for her full college fund and my son too. He has no kids so he has been saving all these years just for them but for my ex to use my info to get in her words (free money) is not right. She is the one who got that money to make her car payment not for the school tuition. I have been trying to find out how much she might have gotten but I was told that this info is my daughters personal stuff and not mine. My daughter will not tell me anything because she does not want her mom to get in trouble for the lies she told to get it. I wish I knew what to do to find out exactly how much she got and what I can do about it without my daughter paying the price for her moms crooked ways.
Just follow the instructions given on the first post. Your daughter will not get in trouble if you can prove her mother committed the fraud.
kyle

United States

#11 Sep 6, 2010
My problem is not that easy. I have no letters or emails or anything of that sort. My ex has about 4 post office boxes that I am sure she is having this information going to. It does not come to me. Can they open an investigation and check it on my word just to see if she used my info without my permission?
Financial Advisor

Houston, TX

#12 Sep 6, 2010
Pay close attention to the instructions it says Letters, emails and other evidence of Pell Grant fraud. Other evidence can mean anything that points to the fact the person committed Pell Grant fraud.
kyle

United States

#13 Sep 6, 2010
ok thanks 61
Fraud Alert

Paris, TX

#14 Sep 8, 2010
Okay, you say your ex never worked a day in her life, so who carried her at tax time, if you did, your tax info. was required for the application. Regardless, showing your income, assuming you work, would show a lesser need for pell grant money, right? Maybe your rich brother can go ahead and send that college money to your daughter since she is enrolled in college, especially since you think her mom used the money for transportation expenses of her own. By the way, if you did carry your daughter on your income tax as a dependant living with you, then you Sir, may have commited a federal fraud. I would advise you to get a life and stop trying to cause trouble for your ex, no wonder she left you. Sounds like your brother got all the brains in the family! If you are still worried about how much money she got from the Pell Grant...I can tell you! Not Enough! Your daughter will be out many school related expenses,and you need to encourage her and be supportive of her. Drop the Drama with her Mama!
kyle

United States

#15 Sep 8, 2010
Fraud Alert wrote:
Okay, you say your ex never worked a day in her life, so who carried her at tax time, if you did, your tax info. was required for the application. Regardless, showing your income, assuming you work, would show a lesser need for pell grant money, right? Maybe your rich brother can go ahead and send that college money to your daughter since she is enrolled in college, especially since you think her mom used the money for transportation expenses of her own. By the way, if you did carry your daughter on your income tax as a dependant living with you, then you Sir, may have commited a federal fraud. I would advise you to get a life and stop trying to cause trouble for your ex, no wonder she left you. Sounds like your brother got all the brains in the family! If you are still worried about how much money she got from the Pell Grant...I can tell you! Not Enough! Your daughter will be out many school related expenses,and you need to encourage her and be supportive of her. Drop the Drama with her Mama!
for your information I have been divorced from her for many years. Yes I did carry them on my taxes while we were married but when we divorced I stopped carrying her and the kids because they did not live with me. If she wanted to carry them she should have gotten a job. NOOOOOO. She cant do that because she is too lazy. By the way. I got tired of doing it all and left.
kyle

United States

#16 Sep 8, 2010
Be supportive? I am very supportive of her. Her uncle wanted and is paying for her every need (In cash)while she is going to school. I have always paid my way and child support for my children. That is my duty as a father. I dont make a whole lot of money but I make due with what money I have. I also raised her to be an honest person but sometimes her mother munipulates her into doing things to benefit herself which is a very sad case for my child.
Financial Advisor

United States

#17 Sep 23, 2010
All the white trash was in full force out at the college getting their Pell Grants. Pell Grant Fraud!
picked wrong classes

Paris, TX

#18 Sep 23, 2010
I was on a pell grant and signed up for some classes that i can just tell I do not wanna spend the rest of my life doing. I am goin to drop em is there any way i can just say I wanna drop dont want any extra money and return it an ever thing be fine . I dont need a hand out but just dont like the courses i picked
kjr

AOL

#20 Jun 7, 2011
I think my ex daughter-in-law commited pell grant fraud by not reporting wages made under the tabel. Also she did not report live in boyfriends wages. Is this fraud?
just so you can know

Paris, TX

#21 Jun 7, 2011
I know a person going to PJC ( pell grant) just for the extra money. She can't find a job, but she is struggling in college. She told me "I'll have $800 left from the 1st summer semester and $1100 left after the 2nd semester of summer." She is taking a full load and got used books."This fall I'll go back, too..But, I can't do math. I'm not taking any math".College is a waste for this girl..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Whew.. a more difficult word game... (Sep '09) 12 min Vector aka Victor... 7,705
4-Word Game (Oct '09) 13 min Vector aka Victor... 5,635
Make a Sentence Out Of a 5-Letter Word (Aug '10) 31 min Vector aka Victor... 3,172
Why Did Paris City Council Get a $3 Million BId... 34 min Grisham 2
Methodist Church Downtown Wants to Waste $1 Mil... 42 min ThinkAboutIt 1
Heather Heyer 49 min Cornered 7
McCullough Gone Yet 1 hr flipside 13
NLISD Money 19 hr No Joker 104
Danny C Tue YeahImNosy 3

Paris Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Paris Mortgages