PJC Nursing Program
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
SummerMeadow

Glen Rose, TX

#1 Dec 7, 2009
I was wondering if anyone on here has attended the Nursing Program at PJC. How was the program, and what all did you do, and how much time did you spen don studying? I'm a pre-nursing student just getting my basics.
well

College Station, TX

#2 Dec 11, 2009
go to Kiamichi, NTCC or Grayson - stay as far away from the PJC nursing program as you can! Seriously.
holidays

Edmond, OK

#3 Dec 13, 2009
pjc nursing program amen on staying away

kiamichi vo-tech centers are the best
short time not to expensive
good people
Former Student

Paris, TX

#4 Dec 13, 2009
I attended the two year program at PJC in the not so far past, and though I did manage to complete the program and pass my boards to become an LVN and now an RN, I left the program with little or no skills. In LVN school, where we were supposed to learn basic skills and were "checked off" in lab once we had covered each skill in clinical lab there was an atmosphere of fear and anxiety because it almost seemed as if the instructors wanted you to fail. Once you started reviewing for check offs, questions were discouraged and met with disdain and as you might expect, the more anxious you got the more mistakes you were prone to make. In RN classes, I was one of the few who had never worked as an LVN and some schools make this a requirement before you are accepted into their program. PJC does not require this, and one would think since you passed THEIR program and had been taught skills by them you would thus be prepared for RN courses or they would teach new skills as you advanced through the program. Not true! We were treated as if we had all been in nursing for years, again questions were not tolerated,and students were given UNSAFES for the slightest error and you were only allowed so many of these before being put on probation or kicked out of the program permanently. Last, there was blatant favoritism on the part of all the instructors and worse there was always several students who for whatever reason the instructor(s) disliked who could do NOTHING right and whose life was made a living hell. Not only were they mistreated by instructors, but by other students as well. Students knew to show compassion for them would have negative consequences for themselves, so had to protect their own status. We all survived, but I still have a poor opinion of the program as a whole. From students who were in the programs after me and even a few current `ones, I am told nothing has changed since I was there. Go somewhere else, the peace of mind will more than outweigh the drive.
Good Advice

Blossom, TX

#5 Dec 13, 2009
A school is only as good as it's instructors. I'd run as fast as you can. It isn't true everywhere, but the nursing instructors at PJC are the shining example of "those who can't do...teach".
Nursing

Paris, TX

#6 Dec 13, 2009
In the 2009 Gallup Poll, nursing has once again managed to come out on top for the most trusted profession.

Leaders in nursing should set a clear professional example, they must be organized yet creative and flexible. The must be an effective decision maker as well as a conflict and crisis manager.

Motivating and empowering staff, having a good sense of humor, being honest fair and reasonable. They must be a reliable resource and a staff advocate. They must be available and accessible, a great communicator and respect their staff as professionals.

Those are pretty hard shoes to walk in, and while nursing is the most trusted profession, it isn't always treated with the most respect.

Mentoring nurses to empowerment and autonomy directly reflects how they will empower and increase autonomy in patient care. Respecting nurses will reflect how the nurses respect their patients. Advocating for nurses will directly affect how they advocate for their patients.

This is what I expect from nurses. This is what I want from nurses. I want them to be empowered enough to stand up for me if I need it as a patient. To do that we must empower them.
Nursing

Paris, TX

#7 Dec 13, 2009
Nursing

Paris, TX

#8 Dec 13, 2009
http://www.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategorie... ...

This is the best article that I have ever read describing the process.
Nursing

Paris, TX

#9 Dec 14, 2009
imo

Dallas, TX

#10 Dec 14, 2009
SummerMeadow wrote:
I was wondering if anyone on here has attended the Nursing Program at PJC. How was the program, and what all did you do, and how much time did you spen don studying? I'm a pre-nursing student just getting my basics.
Go to Grayson. I graduated from there yrs ago and although it is very tough, you learn. Get ready to study your butt off no matter where you go. Good luck to you.
Info

Garland, TX

#13 Dec 14, 2009
SummerMeadow, do you personally know anyone in the nursing program or that has been through it? If so, I'd highly recommend asking them instead of listening to a bunch of crazy people on the internet.:) You never know who's giving you info or what kind of person/student/nurse they are! LOL

I'd tell you about my personal experience w/ the PJC nursing program (it's wonderful!), but NCLEX pass rates, number of students in each class, level of education and years of experience of the faculty, etc. will give you a MUCH clearer, and might I add more objective, view of the program. You can find NCLEX pass rate info, etc. at:

http://www.bne.state.tx.us/nursingeducation/e...

http://www.bne.state.tx.us/nursingeducation/e...

Also, if your goal is to be an RN, then Kiamichi is not for you. They only have an LVN program.

Good luck in finding and getting accepted to the school that's right for you!
ootb

Paris, TX

#14 Dec 15, 2009
Info wrote:
SummerMeadow, do you personally know anyone in the nursing program or that has been through it? If so, I'd highly recommend asking them instead of listening to a bunch of crazy people on the internet.:) You never know who's giving you info or what kind of person/student/nurse they are! LOL
I'd tell you about my personal experience w/ the PJC nursing program (it's wonderful!), but NCLEX pass rates, number of students in each class, level of education and years of experience of the faculty, etc. will give you a MUCH clearer, and might I add more objective, view of the program. You can find NCLEX pass rate info, etc. at:
http://www.bne.state.tx.us/nursingeducation/e...
http://www.bne.state.tx.us/nursingeducation/e...
Also, if your goal is to be an RN, then Kiamichi is not for you. They only have an LVN program.
Good luck in finding and getting accepted to the school that's right for you!
Kiamichi only has an LVN program in Hugo. I think they still have one in Idabel.
You can still go to Kiamichi to get your LVN and then go to other programs. I would suggest applying everywhere you can manage to go.
Ummm

Paris, TX

#15 Dec 15, 2009
http://www.ok.gov/nursing//nclexpass1.pdf

Even if you get into LVN school instead of RN school, you can still get your RN, if nursing is for you it doesn't matter. There are online classes that will bridge you over.
Info

Garland, TX

#16 Dec 15, 2009
The list of programs on Kiamichi's website only mentions vocational nursing. You can become an LVN and then bridge to an RN. That is actually how PJC is set up. The first year of nursing school is LVN training. After successfully passing NCLEX-PN, you may continue on to the second year and complete the ADN program.(The second year is optional.)

The only thing about going through a school that only offers an LVN program is that you'll have to find, apply to and get accepted into a bridge program afterward if you want to become an RN.
So b it

United States

#17 Dec 16, 2009
Good Advice wrote:
A school is only as good as it's instructors. I'd run as fast as you can. It isn't true everywhere, but the nursing instructors at PJC are the shining example of "those who can't do...teach".
Ditto 100%. If you stumble here, its your fault only and nobody will be there to throw you a line. You should be a good little student while in the program. It is not a true reflection of PJC overall. Its all about the NCLEX passing rate. Not, really the instructors faults, its just the PJC Nursing Progam ideology. There are several programs in N.E. Texas and Okla. to attend as long as you are dedicated to being a nurse. You will do fine w/ or w/o this option. Good luck
curious

Little Rock, AR

#18 Dec 18, 2009
Alot of people say that Kiamichi has a very good pass rate. What is PJC pass rate?

Since: Dec 08

AOL

#19 Dec 18, 2009
curious wrote:
Alot of people say that Kiamichi has a very good pass rate. What is PJC pass rate?
Posted links in # 13 and #15 give some statistics. A good forum related to nursing and nurse programs is at http://allnurses.com
The link below this sentence is to a specific question page.
http://allnurses.com/nclex-discussion-forum/s...

There is a difference between a school's NCLEX pass/fail rate and students' pass/fail rates in their classes. Some schools have 50% or higher dropout, or fail rates of the students initially enrolled in a nursing program. Schools have different criteria for admission to nursing programs, and this may make a difference in how many are able to pass the classes, or pass the NCLEX.
PJCRN

United States

#20 Dec 18, 2009
I got my RN degree through PJC. It was traumatic for sure, but nursing school should not be easy IMO. PJC definately weeds out the weak. There is only 1 instructor there that I think is the devil. The rest are great nurses. I disagree with the person who said that PJC instructors "teach because they cant do." You obviously dont know the instructors. I have been out a few years, but I will tell you, Tom Bass is an AWESOME cardiac nurse who I'd feel great working beside, Randall Childress is a great nurse, Stephanie Parker is a great nurse...and FYI the majority of the instructors are still working nurses. They work at the hospitals when they arent teaching. Those who dont definately have the experience to do anything they wanted to do, but they choose to pass that knowledge and their skills on to young nurses. I have no complaints about the PJC nursing program. Like I said, it was traumatic, but I feel like they graduate good strong ethical nurses as a result of being tough and having high expectations.
Tips

Paris, TX

#21 Dec 18, 2009
PJCRN wrote:
I got my RN degree through PJC. It was traumatic for sure, but nursing school should not be easy IMO. PJC definately weeds out the weak. There is only 1 instructor there that I think is the devil. The rest are great nurses. I disagree with the person who said that PJC instructors "teach because they cant do." You obviously dont know the instructors. I have been out a few years, but I will tell you, Tom Bass is an AWESOME cardiac nurse who I'd feel great working beside, Randall Childress is a great nurse, Stephanie Parker is a great nurse...and FYI the majority of the instructors are still working nurses. They work at the hospitals when they arent teaching. Those who dont definately have the experience to do anything they wanted to do, but they choose to pass that knowledge and their skills on to young nurses. I have no complaints about the PJC nursing program. Like I said, it was traumatic, but I feel like they graduate good strong ethical nurses as a result of being tough and having high expectations.
I did not go to school here. All nursing school is hard for sure. But I don't think it has to be traumatic. My experience wasn't. We had fun and learned. We had a high pass rate on the NCLEX exams. I felt like all my instructors were pulling for me, and I felt they were working with me. I never felt like I was being sabotaged, or tricked, or that they were looking for mistakes. They were just expecting the right answer.

To me that is what is ethical, smart and the right learning enviornment.

Since: Feb 09

United States

#22 Dec 19, 2009
I have a question for all of you in the nursing field. My daughter is interested in nursing, but has heard that she must first take several courses BEFORE she can enter the nursing program at PJC. Is this true? It just doesn't make sense to me. Why wouldn't these courses just be part of the nursing degree plan?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
massage recommendations 10 min judy 1
Word Vomit 1 hr Get a life 2
Tidwell tax lien thread now deleted twice in 7 ... 1 hr Goose Bumps 9
Nikki Norton... 1 hr lmao 3
Code Enforcement in Paris Texas (Aug '10) 1 hr Cleaner City 16
Petition to raise minimum wage to $12 an hour!; 2 hr Inquisitor 19
Annexatin Election 2 hr Just my thoughts 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Paris Mortgages