Texas got a bad report card
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Awesome

Paris, TX

#64 Jul 10, 2012
Sunrise wrote:
<quoted text>This is what it says about schools and I agree with his suggestions. The problem is that was watered down to the point that it had no positive effect. I place the blame on Bill Ratliff. He is the author of the Robin Hood plan.
"In 1983 he (Ross Perot) was called upon by Democratic Governor Mark White to help improve the quality of the state's public education, and ended up leading the effort ("Select Committee on Public Education") to reform the school system, which resulted in major legislative changes. The best known of Perot's proposals that were passed into law was the "No Pass, No Play" rule, under which it was required that students have passing grades in order to participate in any school-sponsored extracurricular activities. The intent was to prevent high school sports from being the focus of the school's funding, and to emphasize the importance of education for the students who participated in sports. Another key reform measure was a call for teacher competency testing, which was strongly opposed by the teachers unions in Texas."
I agree with no pass no play....but with some kids, it makes their self esteem go down to an all right failure, instead of just a failure in school, because they are not allowed to show what they are good at.
Some kids are great at athletics, but not good in school, and some have been moved upward just do to their athletic abilities, and even given scholarships (in education) and are terrible at school. So it cuts out the ones who are good in education but bad in athletics.

We have to pay for that decision, and we have numerous drop outs that may have actually finished school, with limited education instead of NO education.(I didn't make great grades in high school but was almost straight A's through college. Curricula other than school, was what kept me in school. Problems at home, and school was a safe haven, but I thrived in college.)

So the biggest problem was coaches wanting the great athletes, and now we have some of those with limited educational abilities TEACHING our kids with the athletic scholorships that they got.

Teaching to the test is the next thing we have to pay for with the Ross Perot plan. We are paying for that decision too, which is also contributing to the drop out rate and poor SAT scores.
Awesome

Paris, TX

#65 Jul 10, 2012
These are attributes to people who have a healthy level of self esteem which is what we are lacking.

People with a healthy level of self-esteem:[16]

firmly believe in certain values and principles, and are ready to defend them even when finding opposition, feeling secure enough to modify them in light of experience.[17]
are able to act according to what they think to be the best choice, trusting their own judgment, and not feeling guilty when others don't like their choice.[17]
do not lose time worrying excessively about what happened in the past, nor about what could happen in the future. They learn from the past and plan for the future, but live in the present intensely.[17]
fully trust in their capacity to solve problems, not hesitating after failures and difficulties. They ask others for help when they need it.[17]
consider themselves equal in dignity to others, rather than inferior or superior, while accepting differences in certain talents, personal prestige or financial standing.[17]
take for granted that they are an interesting and valuable person for others, at least for those with whom they have a friendship.[17]
resist manipulation, collaborate with others only if it seems appropriate and convenient.[17]
admit and accept different internal feelings and drives, either positive or negative, revealing those drives to others only when they choose.[17]
are able to enjoy a great variety of activities.[17]
are sensitive to feelings and needs of others; respect generally accepted social rules, and claim no right or desire to prosper at others' expense.[17]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-esteem

I know this is a wiki reference, but check the references at the bottom. Maslow was the expert on what a person needs to survive and thrive.
Awesome

Paris, TX

#66 Jul 10, 2012
I was labeled a "lazy student," by my parent because I did well on achievement tests, and not so great with my grades.

There were many things not factored into that assumption, but it wasn't true, not to mention it was a form of guilt and manipulation. It was not a motivating factor at all.

Another thing, and I made this mistake with my own kid (out of what I learned from how my parent parented) was that everyone learns their own way. What works for some does not work with others.

My kid doodled in class. He had to be doing something with his hands while he was listening to stay awake during boring lectures. The teacher said he wasn't listening. The truth of it was he was using that as a tool. It was a coping skill that he needed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Petition to raise minimum wage to $12 an hour!; 7 min Inquisitor 17
Paris flooding 1 hr Questooni 6
What the real Booker T story??? 3 hr fo sho 10
Tony M 4 hr Evil Among Us 348
Nikki Norton 8 hr Omg 67
Paris High Cheer Leders 8 hr Lol 2
Buyer for left over garage sale items (Aug '12) 10 hr Bkra2513 28
Boys head split open by Paris Police. 22 hr KingKunta 36
More from around the web

Personal Finance