Lake Crook Development
NON-AFC MEMBER

Paris, TX

#21 Jan 27, 2013
Not sure what the big deal is. You act like Archer's for Christ is this great thing in the community. It's called Archer' for 'CHRIST' yet everyone is bickering and raising heck about the mayor and people of your own community. None of you even know exactly the extent of the development plan. Our mayor has always had the community and our people in mind in all he does. Perhaps he sees the selfishness and bickering of the people in charge of archers for Christ and how they treat fellow neighbors that want to enjoy the benefits of lake crook for themselves as well. It's sad that the lake and area is a public place and the water is public yet a few individuals feel they have the right to block off the boat ramp and call local law enforcements to ticket both youth and adults for trespassing simply because they want the waters for their own hunting and enjoyment.. Funny how our game wardens and county law enforcement agencies have both expressed that it is legal for anyone to enjoy, hunt, and fish the waters and land. Thank you Mayor Hashmi and our City Council, Lamar County Sherrif Dept., Texas Game Wardens, and all those that support this plan. Just remember that you Archer's for Christ brought this on yourselves by your conduct and selfishness over the past few years. God bless & best of luck to you tomorrow evening! If I had it my way, I'd pay 1000 times what AFC pays to lease the land just so our community can enjoy its benefits, but since I can't.. Keep it up Mayor Hashmi & City council!!
info

Paris, TX

#22 Jan 27, 2013
i concur wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder this myself. It really upset me that Archers for Christ closed off the boat access at the creek entrance. I've lauched my boat from the bridge for 30 years, but now A4C deems that section of Lake Crook their own personal property. They've blockaded the boat entrace with fence posts and NO TRESSPASSING signs. Even if the property was private, the lake is still public waterway.
Recently I have heard several people upset because they got down there by that ramp and they could not fish or duck hunt with their boat
Simple man

Atlanta, GA

#23 Jan 27, 2013
I liked Lake Crook when it was public hunting.Archery hunting open to the public would be a good deal .
i concur

Royse City, TX

#24 Jan 27, 2013
How much does A4C even pay to lease this property? I've shot out there before, and they maybe use 25 acres during a tournament. What are they doing with the other 1700+ acres? Is this their private hunting preserve? That land is far too valuable to be underused in such a fashion. Unless they're paying a hefty lease fee...
info

Paris, TX

#25 Jan 27, 2013
i concur wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder this myself. It really upset me that Archers for Christ closed off the boat access at the creek entrance. I've lauched my boat from the bridge for 30 years, but now A4C deems that section of Lake Crook their own personal property. They've blockaded the boat entrace with fence posts and NO TRESSPASSING signs. Even if the property was private, the lake is still public waterway.
Yes recently I have heard from several people that tried to go duck hunt and or fish at the creek and they were not able to put their boat in
Txcombat

United States

#26 Jan 27, 2013
There are warning signs posted around the gun clubs not to trespass and bullet impact area.
Only boat ramps I know of are located in the park area. As far as I know duck hunters have only the those areas to access the lake and besides its against city law to fire a gun in city limits and the lake is in city limits so how is that legal and why is it ok?
All it takes to hunt out there is to become a member is to join the club, shoot in 3 tournaments and buy a hunting permit. I have tried many times to find a place for my son and I to hunt with a rifle and it costs way to much money, so the AFC an along with the City of Paris is making it very affordable to the average Joe to hunt. AS far as I know its no trespassing during hunting season and tournament you can't go walking out there.
I've been to several tournaments and have found them to be very friendly, helpful people, who I believe are helping to look out for the best interest for the city by managing that area.
Go back to the 80's and remember what that area looked like, what was using and hanging around and look at it today. It has not been the AFC but other clubs and organizations that have helped clean it up and help "police" it.
But these are only my thoughts and beliefs, maybe before you pass judgment on them or any of the other clubs that use that land you need to come out and visit and spend time to see what they are all about.
i concur

Royse City, TX

#27 Jan 27, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
OBVIOUSLY THE CITY MANAGER AND THE MAYOR HAVE NO IDEA WHAT Archers for Christ Paris Texas does on the property at LAKE CROOK .....here is a link to their schedule that includes usage of said property from Jan- Sep the time that was left off this Memo...http://www.archersforch ristparis.com/schedule.html
Ok, so there's a schedule. What does AFC do with 1800 acres during their tournament season? Some hog hunting in the beginning of the year. Nothing the rest of the year. What substantial, sustained income does AFC generate for the city? Nothing worth an honorable mention. Sure, some fast food and a few hotel stays, SOMETIMES. Development would bring assets. Businesses, residences, JOBS, and without bothering the amount of land that AFC actually "requires" to host an archery tournament.
info

Paris, TX

#28 Jan 27, 2013
Txcombat wrote:
There are warning signs posted around the gun clubs not to trespass and bullet impact area.
Only boat ramps I kno

w of are located in the park area. As far as I know duck hunters have only the those areas to access the lake and besides its against city law to fire a gun in city limits and the lake is in city limits so how is that legal and why is it ok?
All it takes to hunt out there is to become a member is to join the club, shoot in 3 tournaments and buy a hunting permit. I have tried many times to find a place for my son and I to hunt with a rifle and it costs way to much money, so the AFC an along with the City of Paris is making it very affordable to the average Joe to hunt. AS far as I know its no trespassing during hunting season and tournament you can't go walking out there.

I've been to several tournaments and have found them to be very friendly, helpful people, who I believe are helping to look out for the best interest for the city by managing that area.
Go back to the 80's and remember what that area looked like, what was using and hanging around and look at it today. It has not been the AFC but other clubs and organizations that have helped clean it up and help "police" it.
But these are only my thoughts and beliefs, maybe before you pass judgment on them or any of the other clubs that use that land you need to come out and visit and spend time to see what they are all about.
It is my understanding and I have lived here all of my life that anyone can duck hunt and it is legal to use a gun at lake crook to do so ..... if it is illegal to fire a gun in the city limits how does the rifle range and skeet club use their guns? Just saying
Listen

Lockhart, TX

#29 Jan 27, 2013
They haven't had the full area they have now for very long. The area north of the lake was added to the lease in the last 5 to 10 years. This was after the city turned down a grant that had been awarded to build some public walking trails and stuff on the north side of the lake. I suspect they will still have access to the western area that they have had for many years and only stand to lose the north area initially.
funtime

Kennedale, TX

#30 Jan 27, 2013
Build cabins,clean up the lake and its area.Make it a family place.Have things for families to do.Paris needs something...
Shocked

Fort Worth, TX

#31 Jan 27, 2013
i concur wrote:
<quoted text>
The only boat ramp for access to Lake Crook is in the City Park on Campbell soup side, hate to hear your upset,
Two kiss

United States

#32 Jan 28, 2013
I would support a development out there as the lake use would increase and bring more ammenaties to Paris. A usable lake that close to town would be welcome, and would be the highest and best use, much like the proposed residential development around the airport. Archers for Christ is a great organization, but it would seem they could easily relocate. A lease is normally not a permanent thing. It should all boil down to what benefits the majority of the citizens of Paris the most!
Wonder

United States

#33 Jan 28, 2013
To txcombat

You see one of the problems with your posting is that it contains incorrect information. The no trespass signs are up 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. I am a tax paying citizen of Paris. I don't want to shoot in 3 archery tournaments in order to access city property of which my tax dollars are used. I should be able to walk the trails at the very least when deer season isn't happening. There is no legal requirement to post no trespass signs on leased
Property either. Only if the leasee wants to post. ACer's act as if they own the
Property and have actually threatened
People with violence that were riding horses on the old road way. They pay virtually nothingnfot the lease. It is time for AC to lose the lease and for the city to move forward in developing this beautiful area
txcombat

United States

#34 Jan 28, 2013
To wonder,

The signs are required per the permit, I understand it was at the mayors requist that it be added due to safety concerns. The horse thing happened over ten years ago and those.members where removed because of that, as far as I know there have been some people caught hunting illegally and with guns the past couple of years that have had the lee called on them
The problem is they have a lease agreement and part of that requires the city to give due notice to any of those clubs that lease from the city the chance to speak on their behalf and that has been denied. I'm not saying AFC or any other clubs rule the roost out there as I know for a fact that a many of their members are tax paying citizens like yourself.
Also thank you to everyone for keeping this civil.
Lets see past biases

Fort Worth, TX

#35 Jan 28, 2013
Wonder wrote:
To txcombat
You see one of the problems with your posting is that it contains incorrect information. The no trespass signs are up 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. I am a tax paying citizen of Paris. I don't want to shoot in 3 archery tournaments in order to access city property of which my tax dollars are used. I should be able to walk the trails at the very least when deer season isn't happening. There is no legal requirement to post no trespass signs on leased
Property either. Only if the leasee wants to post. ACer's act as if they own the
Property and have actually threatened
People with violence that were riding horses on the old road way. They pay virtually nothingnfot the lease. It is time for AC to lose the lease and for the city to move forward in developing this beautiful area
The signs are up only during season, was out there last sat which was a tournament day and all the combined youth deer seasons and they were removing those signs..........everytime my family and i go by that property there is always someone working there, fixing fence, working on targets, there are even local neighbors who help pick up trash and make the roadway look great through that area.
Jason

Paris, TX

#36 Jan 28, 2013
I thought this is just a presentation and discussion ,since there is renewed intrest in getting the city better not meant to be againt archers but by the same token it is city owned property.Zoining changes dont happen without the citizens input and public meetings ,you people are going out on a limb as if the deal is signed and sealed ,listen to what they talk about first before jumping to conclusions.
yep

United States

#37 Jan 28, 2013
Im not AFC and Ive only been on the lake a few times within the last couple of years. I believe alot if you are griping just to gripe. I dont know how much kand the AFC holds and I dont think it makes a difference. The only person that might actually have have a problem would be with the launching in the creek and I dont even see that as a big deal as it is not a far ride at all from the west boat ramp to the creek. Lets be honest. That kake is shallow, its dirty and muddy and only has a small area in front of the dam a boater would use for playing. Other than that the lake is used by trotliners that cut each others lines and some duck hunters. In thus economy I dont see that land being developed at all. The mayor is always thinking of improvements and I applaud him for it but this isnt going anywhere.
cash

Clarksville, TX

#38 Jan 28, 2013
how many thousand belong to afc
wonder

Paris, TX

#39 Jan 28, 2013
Lets see past biases wrote:
<quoted text>
The signs are up only during season, was out there last sat which was a tournament day and all the combined youth deer seasons and they were removing those signs..........everytime my family and i go by that property there is always someone working there, fixing fence, working on targets, there are even local neighbors who help pick up trash and make the roadway look great through that area.
You are a liar. The signs are still there today. Drove by and checked them myself. Why lie about something so easy to check. Now anything you say is in question - can't trust a liar about anything.
DODO

United States

#40 Jan 28, 2013
Mayor Hashmi wants to develope land around a toxic watershed. Where is all of the lead from the shooters rounds? In the ground, upstream from the lake. Who us going to clean up the toxic lead contaminated ground? There are thousands pounds of lead in the ground. Some having been there almost 40 years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Paris police not doing their job (May '15) 4 min Grisham 71
Missing Woman Tapes (Oct '15) 22 min Grisham 21
Republican failure!! 14 hr beware 51
Paris,Texas best repair business 20 hr Paris great town 1
anybody remember jennifer gray? (Dec '10) 23 hr Just a suggestion 103
Parking Lot across from Chilangos 23 hr Grisham 43
Play Chain Reaction (Oct '09) 23 hr Super_Chick_ 6,984

Paris Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance