Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2011

Judged:

Paris, TX: It is not enough you are blessed to have insurance, you have to wish those who were rejected by insurance companies (for the lamest of reasons) no access for care the rest of their life? If that is true, it is an ugly and hateful thing to do.

My husband, who was a partner of a professional firm, for decades, unexpectedly lost his employment, and within weeks of going on COBRA, learned the whole shop was going to close it's doors within 30 days, and our COBRA would be terminated abruptly. Georgia has nearly no protections for consumers, and we were told the insurance company could charge whatever they wanted to convert our COBRA policies. The insurance company wanted to charge six times their based for individually sold policies, and an extra 100 percent of their base because we lived in the greater metro area. No matter how much we saved for this rainy day, we could not sustain 700 percent of the individual policy base (close to $30,000 for two us, since we were over 50 years of age, for too terribly long. And, with this dreadful economy, who knew it could take so long to be gainfully employed?

We shopped around, like mad men to quickly pick up some health care insurance on the open market and soon found no insurance company wanted to cover us. Since we were both fairly healthy, but older 55- 60, it was a shock to us and our insurance agent. We come to find out, Georgia had no high risk pool, insurance companies like to have young customers, and are allowed to cherry pick their customers in our state. Most other states do a much better job of having healthy insurance markets, and their taxpayers generally did not need the new federal high risk program.

Blessedly, the new PCIP, high risk pool was set up by the federal government,, in Georgia because it refused to do anything, just six months after we lost our COBRA coverage. Oh gosh, the PCIP insurance is not cheap for older Georgians ($650, each, a month), but it is great to have, as insurance for a major illness.

If insurance companies are allowed to go back and cherry pick their customers, if the health care bill is overturned and or repealed, the " repeal and replace plan" we all have been hearing about needs to be done quickly so that taxpayers don't needlessly go into bankruptcy, or die prematurely from a lack of health care as a result of a broken health care insurance system, IMHO.
ZOMG

North Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2011

Judged:

Questions wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll just bet the poster had internet service, cable tv, a nice car, cellphones, and assorted other unnecessary gadgets while he/she was risking going without insurance before he/she discovered he/she had a hereditary illness. And a hereditary illness makes you double dumb -- if you know you have a chance of a dire illness because it runs in the family, why would you not keep your insurance and let other unnecessaries go? Lack of insurance is most often a matter of misplaced priorities.
Would that not make sense to then make healthcare mandatory like car insurance? This is not only about one age group but all age brackets. Things in life happen and it is often unpredictable.

You can call it "misplaced prioritites" but.....
The main issue is this: the dichotomy of wealth and poverty (education, availibility of recources) so transparent in this country, in this case specifically regarding health.

How would you go about bridging that gap without some sort of mandate all can benefit from? It's a difficult issue leading to foreign medicine. So many sick people being either denied or DROPPED from coverage are travelling to foreign countries whose cost of treatment is 1/8 of what is charged here that these countries are now providing insurance with the same benefits as their own people to foreigners. You can call that an economic boom on their part and us?....well, aren't we doing just GREAT on all levels!
ZOMG

North Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2011

Judged:

Things in life happen like driving. You can't always predict the mental state of the person driving next to you. BUT you always have the safety net of insurance. No matter how many accidents you've been in. You're rarely if ever denied or dropped though you may end up paying a fortune. But guess what? An alternative is public transportation and bus tokens!

Yet how can there be such disregard for human life?
Animals, laptops, iPhones, cars have better predictable and guarenteed coverage than human beings in this country. Here, we seem to be in the same category as house foreclosures. Can't afford it? Not eligible? Too bad. Either live in a box or find a homeless shelter.

If you're fine with unpredictable health coverage, unexplainable drops and denials, lists of exclusions even under medically necessary conditions, lifetime caps, and ever increasing premiums (for those complaining about screwed priorities..... ironically) then more power to you.
Poor working slob

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2011

Judged:

To: Incredulous, Wow and Questions:
do your right wing christian hippocrits ever consider the person who has insurance and the insurance company DROPs them ??? Because they got sick ?? You Jackasses.

My daughter had that happen..then applied with 15 other companies, and was denied by every company.
She has a potential life-threatening problem, no job (self employed business went under), no money, and has been denied health insurance. We are by no means rich, but we can at least pay her PCIP premiums and try to get her diagnosed, treated and God willing, cured.

So according to u, she should first go bankrupt and then die due to lack of health care, is that right ?

Is that the America you "compassionate" conservatives stand for ?

1) Medicare for All, single payer for all
2) prison time for the greedy health insurance,and wall street bastards and some doctors who make millions while screwing Americans.

U would be singing a different tune if you or a family member had a condition and could not get insurance.

Go jump in the freaking lake with the rest of your loony right wing party.

You give a bad name to Barbarians, much less Christians.

MEDICARE FOR ALL
Wrong

Paris, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2011

Judged:

Poor working slob wrote:
To: Incredulous, Wow and Questions:
do your right wing christian hippocrits ever consider the person who has insurance and the insurance company DROPs them ??? Because they got sick ?? You Jackasses.
My daughter had that happen..then applied with 15 other companies, and was denied by every company.
She has a potential life-threatening problem, no job (self employed business went under), no money, and has been denied health insurance. We are by no means rich, but we can at least pay her PCIP premiums and try to get her diagnosed, treated and God willing, cured.
So according to u, she should first go bankrupt and then die due to lack of health care, is that right ?
Is that the America you "compassionate" conservatives stand for ?
1) Medicare for All, single payer for all
2) prison time for the greedy health insurance,and wall street bastards and some doctors who make millions while screwing Americans.
U would be singing a different tune if you or a family member had a condition and could not get insurance.
Go jump in the freaking lake with the rest of your loony right wing party.
You give a bad name to Barbarians, much less Christians.
MEDICARE FOR ALL
No insurance company can drop someone just because they had claims. They can drop you(rescind coverage) if you lied on your health application and it was discovered within the first two years. The lie has to be a "material misrepresentation" of facts.
Information

Schertz, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2011

Judged:

The Prexisting Condition Insurance Plan

Government Employee Health Administration
PPO, 3 options. Standard, Extended, HSA
Standard option at 2000 deductible, 80/20, 5950 out of pocket annual maximum
Extended, 1000 deductible, 80/20, 5950 out of pocket annual out of pocket max.

55+ will be $ 426 per month premium.
see link https://www.pcip.gov/StatePlans.html
Information

Schertz, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2011

two kiss wrote:
I can't get normal health insurance at age 57 due to a pre-exiting condition and my only choice is Texas Risk Pool or PCIP (Federal)Health coverage. In researching the provider list, I find that Paris Regional Medical Center in Paris is not listed as a preferred provider. Hospitals in Bonham, Clarksville, Sulphur Springs, Tyler, Greenville and Dallas are all listed as providers.
--Anyone know why Paris Regional is not in the network?
--As you would expect,some Doctors are not signed up.Can someone
share some pros & cons about the federal PCIP coverage?
--The rate for the PCIP coverage, male, age 57, with a 5k
deductable, 20% co pay, is $557 per month.
Just wonder how the cost compares to a standard risk male,age
57? The Texas risk pool is about $100 more.
Any Comments??
The Prexisting Condition Insurance Plan

Government Employee Health Administration
PPO, 3 options. Standard, Extended, HSA
Standard option at 2000 deductible, 80/20, 5950 out of pocket annual maximum
Extended, 1000 deductible, 80/20, 5950 out of pocket annual out of pocket max.

55+ will be $ 426 per month premium.
see link https://www.pcip.gov/StatePlans.html
Smart Guy

Eagle Pass, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2011

Judged:

Many of you whom reprimand others for their 'misplaced priorities' etc. need to think about this entire mess from a different perspective. You say, "risk, risk, risk...why did you risk not having health insurance...blah, blah, blah?"

Something is seriously wrong when people profit from others illnesses. Healthcare should be free for all! Health insurance should be terminated and hospitals and doctors should be accessible to everyone and paid for their services by government which we can pay through paying higher taxes.

In addition, pharmaceutical companies need to design and create drugs that target the root causes of illnesses, not the symptoms!

Common sense! FUCK!!!
Sunrise

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2011

Judged:

Smart Guy wrote:
Many of you whom reprimand others for their 'misplaced priorities' etc. need to think about this entire mess from a different perspective. You say, "risk, risk, risk...why did you risk not having health insurance...blah, blah, blah?"
Something is seriously wrong when people profit from others illnesses. Healthcare should be free for all! Health insurance should be terminated and hospitals and doctors should be accessible to everyone and paid for their services by government which we can pay through paying higher taxes.
How many taxes do you pay and how much more would you be willing to pay so that I can have free healthcare?

Oh, one more thing. Could you have made the same point without all the vulgarity?
Poor Working Slob

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2011

Judged:

To Wrong, Paris, Texas
"No insurance company can drop someone just because they had claims. They can drop you(rescind coverage) if you lied on your health application and it was discovered within the first two years. The lie has to be a "material misrepresentation" of facts. "

you are absolutely 100% WRONG !! This happens all the time...they do not renew people who had what they claim are excessive claims, they now claim pre-existing conditions, haven't you been reading the news lately ??? There are thousands of examples around the country of insurance companies screwing their customers, refusing to pay for treatment, dropping them for filing too many claims, claiming they lied on their apps for not putting something in from 30 years ago, and then finally deeming them too risky when renewal time comes around or tripling or quadrupling their premiums.

Do some googling my friend and you will see thousands of examples.
Poor Working Slob

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2011

Wrong wrote:
<quoted text>No insurance company can drop someone just because they had claims. They can drop you(rescind coverage) if you lied on your health application and it was discovered within the first two years. The lie has to be a "material misrepresentation" of facts.
To Wrong, Paris, Texas
"No insurance company can drop someone just because they had claims. They can drop you(rescind coverage) if you lied on your health application and it was discovered within the first two years. The lie has to be a "material misrepresentation" of facts. "

you are absolutely 100% WRONG !! This happens all the time...they do not renew people who had what they claim are excessive claims, they now claim pre-existing conditions, haven't you been reading the news lately ??? There are thousands of examples around the country of insurance companies screwing their customers, refusing to pay for treatment, dropping them for filing too many claims, claiming they lied on their apps for not putting something in from 30 years ago, and then finally deeming them too risky when renewal time comes around or tripling or quadrupling their premiums.

Wrong

Paris, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2011

The ONLY reason a private health insurance company can drop an individual from a policy that is already approved is:

1. The person doesn't make their payments.

2. They person lied on their application.

3. The insurance company doesn't offer health insurance coverage in the person's state of residence any longer.
george l

Antioch, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2011

Judged:

It is free only to those who take it. It is not free to those who give it. Government programs, without exception, take from some and give to others. There is no such thing as FREE health care. Someone has to pay for it.
Smart Guy wrote:
In addition, pharmaceutical companies need to design and create drugs that target the root causes of illnesses, not the symptoms!
Common sense! FUCK!!!
Wrong

Paris, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2011

Poor Working Slob wrote:
<quoted text>
To Wrong, Paris, Texas
Every state has different regulations. You are just too stupid to understand what you are even posting. No company can cancel your coverage in Texas for filing excess claims. They cannot base your rates on your claims. They can only base their rates on total claims for like policies. Companies can cancel or not renew policies if they are not guaranteed renewable. When this is done all are cancelled who had the coverage. No one person is singled out due to claims. Unicare recently pulled their plans in Texas. Blue Cross stepped in and picked up everyone who had the coverage. Your argument about pre-existing is just laughable.
Here is a link. Maybe you can read.
http://www.tdi.texas.gov/pubs/consumer/cb005....

Individual plans must cover pre-existing conditions within 2 years. You get credit for coverage time served on prior plans. Group plans must cover prex within 1 year. Small groups of 2 or more employees must be issued coverage in Texas regardless of pre-existing conditions. Rates are capped at no more than 66.67% above standard regardless of health conditions.
christie

Sherbrooke, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2012

Judged:

Dear Two Kiss,

What has happened to you is a great injustice. I really don't know what else to say. It saddens me to see how terribly America treats its people. Dear God! To treat your fellow man with such indignity is unforgiveable. Healthcare should be a basic right for everyone- rich or poor. And in all great countries it already is.(Denmark, France, Finland, England, Switzerland, Sweden, Germany, Canada etc) These countries believe that when every one of its citizens is well educated (and not choking with debt after graduation) and in good health, then it can accomplish great things.
DRAVEN

Paris, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2012

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Hit a nerve with you? A lot of people don't have insurance because their priorities are messed up -- not because they can't afford it. I'm sick of paying for my own and for those who would rather have a big screen tv, a cellphone and computer with all the latest gizmos, and a big house than pay an insurance premium.
Yea your right. Im tired of my taxes going to people that don't try. Getting food stamps and not work.... I have a shitty truck with no heat or ac.. it makes it to point a2b, and I go to school full time, can't get food stamps or help but those that don't try do. This shit you say fks us that need it and can't do it our self. Im glad you don't worry about getting sick or will you have money to pay your rent or what not. But to turn your nose up to the ones that need help,make me sad for you. I hope you never need help. When the world turns it back on you then and only then will you know. That is when it is to late. I hate paying taxes and the city always working on these roads. I could care less about the smooth roads. Like I said, I have a shitty truck anyways, why do I care what happens to your nice car or truck. Its wasting my tax money so you and your kind don't bitch about the pot holes and how it fking up your cars. Spend my tax money on something that helps me. Not cater to the rich.
Wrong

Paris, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2012

Judged:

Remember the talk about how the federal pre-existing plan would help countless millions enroll who could not find coverage??? Problem is only a limited number enrolled in each state. Only 48,879 have enrolled since August 2010. They made the plan so only those who have went without insurance for at least six months could enroll. Reward those who took no responsibility and screwed those who always carried coverage. You may have previously enrolled in Texas Risk Pool plan at twice the normal insurance rate. Too bad, you can't go into the federal plan because you have current coverage. Doesn't matter that it would cut your rates in half. Went without thats ok. You can enroll when you need it. Rewarded the irresponsible. Thanks Obama.

https://www.pcip.gov/

http://www.healthcare.gov/news/factsheets/201...
elephant buster

Irvine, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2012

dear friend

please drop the attitude and THINK like a rational human being.

Let get you a hypothesis.
Say you are employed and have insurance through work. then youre diagnosed with lymphoma. a year later (due to the great recession) you are laid off. Then you pay highe COBRA premiums for 18 monthe and then the program ends. In the mean time (While on COBRA) you can only find a job which doen not provide insrance to employees.

What is the solution? You no longer have insurance and you have a pre-existing condition. Youve done everything right but still the "messed up" system fails you.

That's why everyone need to have access to insurance and should not be discrimated for pre-existing conditions.

Say instead of this happening to you, it happened to someone you love and care about.

Your "freedom" at that point becomes a worthless academic concept.
jeff

Paris, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2012

It is the durndest thing to me why this country does not have universal health care.(Untill you study WHY we don't. Did you ever ask yourself that question? I am assuming that you know we pay twice what the rest of the world does for coverage and are way down in quality of health care.(unless you are wealthy). Obamacare might as well been called the "Health insurance Profit and Enhancement Act." Due to the force pay rule that is under scrutiny by the supreme court now. The only reason Obama went with that was to compromise with big insurance. I hope they strike it down and go with Single pay. Cut big insurance out! They have cheated us for profit for years, expensive coverage, and "oh, that's not covered." and on and on. That is why health care and drugs are expensive in the United States, profit for the companies and investors. Ask yourelf, "am I one of the guys that makes money from health care, or am I one of the guys that pays too much?" Bismark established universal health care in Germany in 1883.Bismark was certainly not a Socialist. His thought was that healthy people make a strong country. Whats wrong with us????
jeff

Paris, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2012

Wrong wrote:
<quoted text>No insurance company can drop someone just because they had claims. They can drop you(rescind coverage) if you lied on your health application and it was discovered within the first two years. The lie has to be a "material misrepresentation" of facts.
That Statement is right out of the book of "talking points." of the insurance industry. As one that experienced "recission" let me tell you, you had better know the address of the court house and know a damn good lawyer. I do, I did, and I got my damn money and damages besides. Insurance companies lie!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

37 Users are viewing the Paris Forum right now

Search the Paris Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Dr. Hashmi, he refused to answer all questions 45 min Black Widow 13
southside baptist church 58 min bad tag office 31
church of Satan? 1 hr Black Widow 9
david swaim 3 hr opinion 4
Way to go Rhonda 4 hr Please-Get Over Yourself 7
Play Chain Reaction (Oct '09) 5 hr _Zoey_ 6,291
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 5 hr Imperial Chicano 17,291
Why was the Lamar County Veterans Officer asked... 14 hr old vet 24
PEDC Investigation reveals 18 hr LOL 90
•••
•••

Paris News Video

•••
•••

Paris Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••