why so long on irs refund?

Posted in the Paris Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Frustrated

Paris, TX

#1 Feb 12, 2009
We mailed our tax stuff in by Jan. 15. In the past we have mailed our packet the first week of February and gotten our refund 4 weeks later. This year we haven't even gotten an update on the IRS website that they have received our packet, an expected deposit date or anything. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Why are they so slow this year? We are waiting for a 9000.00 refund, so I'm really getting impatient.

“Headlines are for sissies!”

Since: Aug 08

Paris, TX

#2 Feb 12, 2009
It seems like the mail has been unusually slow the past few weeks!
Taxpayer50

United States

#3 Feb 12, 2009
Frustrated wrote:
We mailed our tax stuff in by Jan. 15. In the past we have mailed our packet the first week of February and gotten our refund 4 weeks later. This year we haven't even gotten an update on the IRS website that they have received our packet, an expected deposit date or anything. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Why are they so slow this year? We are waiting for a 9000.00 refund, so I'm really getting impatient.
I've had that problem for many years. I never get the refund back. They alway want more. When the first payment comes due on the big bail out, the amount the IRS wants will be a lot more. BTW, maybe they took your refund and applied it to that first payment.
employee

Bailey, TX

#4 Feb 12, 2009
I work for a local tax agency and we tell our customers that if you file a "Paper Return by mail" you should see a check in 5 - 7 weeks. So I would not expect to see your check earlier than 2/19 and hopefully no later than 3/6. If you e-file and have a check mailed to your address then we say the rule of thumb is 21 - 28 days. If you have your return e-filed and direct deposited in your bank account sometimes you can get it in 8-15 days.
Seriously

College Station, TX

#6 Feb 12, 2009
I filed mine via e-file last week and my $4000 is expected to be deposited Monday. Sorry yours is taking so long.... but that $9000 will be worth the wait :}
Thats CRAZY

Dallas, TX

#7 Feb 12, 2009
Seriously wrote:
I filed mine via e-file last week and my $4000 is expected to be deposited Monday. Sorry yours is taking so long.... but that $9000 will be worth the wait :}
Getting 4000 dollars back means that you paid the government $333 dollars too much every month. If you get paid bi-weekly, that's roughly 165 dollars a check more that you should have instead of waiting to get one lump sum. Think of what you could do with that money every month! To each his own though, it is nice to get a large lump sum every year. BUT, that is money you have already earned, its not like they are giving you free money...

Since: Nov 08

Dallas, TX

#8 Feb 12, 2009
Thats CRAZY wrote:
<quoted text>
Getting 4000 dollars back means that you paid the government $333 dollars too much every month. If you get paid bi-weekly, that's roughly 165 dollars a check more that you should have instead of waiting to get one lump sum. Think of what you could do with that money every month! To each his own though, it is nice to get a large lump sum every year. BUT, that is money you have already earned, its not like they are giving you free money...
To add my .02, the $333 could have been put into a savings account each month and earning interest so that at the end of the twelve months it would have been worth more than $4000. Just my opinion...
Taxpayer50

United States

#9 Feb 12, 2009
Thats CRAZY wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless they are getting money back that they didn't pay to begin with.
Seriously

College Station, TX

#10 Feb 12, 2009
Thats CRAZY wrote:
<quoted text>
I know its not free, I realize that I paid it in. I pay an extra $50 a week at both my jobs, because I work as an agency nurse sometimes (as a 3rd job) and they do not take out taxes, so I pay extra to keep those 1099s from kicking my rear at tax time. I have seen too many other nurses lose all the rebates they are used to getting plus they have to pay in d/t the 1099s. And I do like the lump sum all at once, its great for new appliances, furniture, vacation, or even better helps you to meet the dang insurance deductibles that started over on Jan 1st. Like you said, to each his own, but I like it this way... if I got that extra $$$ every 2 weeks I guarantee it would get spent on junk.
Right

Dallas, TX

#11 Feb 12, 2009
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
I know its not free, I realize that I paid it in. I pay an extra $50 a week at both my jobs, because I work as an agency nurse sometimes (as a 3rd job) and they do not take out taxes, so I pay extra to keep those 1099s from kicking my rear at tax time. I have seen too many other nurses lose all the rebates they are used to getting plus they have to pay in d/t the 1099s. And I do like the lump sum all at once, its great for new appliances, furniture, vacation, or even better helps you to meet the dang insurance deductibles that started over on Jan 1st. Like you said, to each his own, but I like it this way... if I got that extra $$$ every 2 weeks I guarantee it would get spent on junk.
You are right about that. If you make an extra 100 dollars a check, you will most likely spend it. It is nice to make more, but the more you make, the more you spend. The lump sum is nice to use for bills or vacations.
thanks

Paris, TX

#12 Feb 12, 2009
employee wrote:
I work for a local tax agency and we tell our customers that if you file a "Paper Return by mail" you should see a check in 5 - 7 weeks. So I would not expect to see your check earlier than 2/19 and hopefully no later than 3/6. If you e-file and have a check mailed to your address then we say the rule of thumb is 21 - 28 days. If you have your return e-filed and direct deposited in your bank account sometimes you can get it in 8-15 days.
Thanks! This is very useful information, but I have just one other question for you. How long will it take if you mailed it in but have asked for a direct deposit?

Thanks for your help.
meeh

Nashville, TN

#13 Feb 15, 2010
I filed my income tax jan 26, and still haven't received the refund yet. My brother got his before me, and I filed his week before! Arggh! I filed it on Turbo Tax, it says I should be getting it on Feb 5, then when I checked IRS.gov , it says I should be getting it on the 9th. It's the 15th, and still nothing! What's going on? I called IRS and asked them, they said, it'l take 3weeks for them to process it.
Frustrated wrote:
meeh

Nashville, TN

#14 Feb 15, 2010
I did the e-file and direct deposit, filed it on 1/26- still didn't get the refund yet.. its been 3 weeks! hello!!!!
employee wrote:
me too

Paris, TX

#15 Feb 17, 2010
dont go through the tax agency on bonham st. they dont care if yuo get your money as long as they get theirs. my opinion. they have been no help at all.
GrannyB

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#17 Mar 16, 2010
Try this, I mailed mine on 21 Jan (bought a different house so had to paper file). I've been given March 9, March 23, April 6 and now April 13 for my refund. Can anyway tell me why? Not really, the first guy said my withholding was recorded wrong and they had to change my refund, ready for this? IT'S THE SAME AMOUNT. No one knows why.

“I pay tax so you dont have to.”

Since: Sep 08

Chicago, IL

#18 Mar 16, 2010
Right wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right about that. If you make an extra 100 dollars a check, you will most likely spend it. It is nice to make more, but the more you make, the more you spend. The lump sum is nice to use for bills or vacations.
No self control? Automatically put the money into savings and don't spend it. It's really not that difficult...
Hawaii

Decatur, IL

#19 Mar 31, 2010
We filed our federal income tax return electronically on March 17, 2010. I went to the IRS web site March 30 and it stated that our refund would be deposited into our bank account on March 30. Today, March 30, after checking the bank balance, I checked again with IRS. Our refund is now expected to be deposited by April 13, 2010. Big change in one day. FYI, we filed electronically using purchased software.
ParisTxResident

Paris, TX

#20 Mar 31, 2010
Took us almost three weeks to get ours back and we filled around the middle of january and used a tax preparer.

I think the goverment is just broke and thats what is taking so long.

Be glad we dont live in other states where their returns are frozen until their state gets enough funds to pay them and I did see this on the news some time back.

$9000.00 I could use.
Dee

Waterloo, Canada

#21 Apr 14, 2010
I filled Jan 28. I got a letter stating we need 45 days to review your info cause this is your first time filing. It stated in bold just wait you don't have to do anything. After that I got another letter on March 4th saying that they need more info fax it over on the fourth. The letter said give them 45 days. Know there telling me to wait till April 30. All this for a 8000 refund.
Sunrise

Dallas, TX

#22 Apr 15, 2010
GrannyB wrote:
Try this, I mailed mine on 21 Jan (bought a different house so had to paper file). I've been given March 9, March 23, April 6 and now April 13 for my refund. Can anyway tell me why? Not really, the first guy said my withholding was recorded wrong and they had to change my refund, ready for this? IT'S THE SAME AMOUNT. No one knows why.
The government is BROKE. They are probably waiting to get the big check that I had to mail to them so they can send it to you. I won't be mailing the check until April 15th.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trade Days Flea Market 15 min Not really 3
Petition to raise minimum wage to $12 an hour!; 1 hr new boss 26
Nikki Norton 1 hr Truth Finder 73
Lamar Co Humane Society & Dr Bryan, Veterinarian 2 hr Sylvester 5
Bryan scott the food salesman 8 hr Yup 7
Paris High Cheer Leders 10 hr SS Minnow 15
Annexatin Election 11 hr Angry old lady 12

Paris Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance