What happened to Headhunters MMA?

Posted in the Paris Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Old martial artist

Paris, TX

#1 Feb 6, 2009
What happened to Headhunters MMA in the Tejas Plaza? I went by there today and the place was cleared out.

Since: Feb 09

United States

#2 Feb 6, 2009
Old martial artist wrote:
What happened to Headhunters MMA in the Tejas Plaza? I went by there today and the place was cleared out.
Just guessing, but maybe not enough customer base to stay afloat? An old friend used to run Fiori's Taekwondo here. He's now doing very well in Texarkana. JMO..
kung fu

Grand Prairie, TX

#3 Feb 6, 2009
They may be moving to a larger facility, but I highly doubt it. With membership fees starting around $80.00 per month, I'm surprised they had any business at all.
love much laugh often

United States

#4 Feb 6, 2009
What are reasonable rates for martial arts lessons?

“Love: friendship set to music”

Since: Dec 08

Paris, TX

#5 Feb 6, 2009
kung fu wrote:
They may be moving to a larger facility, but I highly doubt it. With membership fees starting around $80.00 per month, I'm surprised they had any business at all.
That doesn't sound bad at all to me..how much do they typically run?
kung fu

Dallas, TX

#6 Feb 7, 2009
Most of the places around here don't charge over $45.00 per month. The police athletic league did have karate and jujitsu for kids for free. There's so many that have gone out of business though, that it's hard to say who's charging what. I'm uncertain if there's even a credible program here anymore. Most places teach for tournaments, and not real self defense. TKD USA has produced a few national champions, but the instructor is a real douche, and again, I wouldn't credit that place with real self defense. I've heard that the Paris Black Belt Academy guy used to be a Krav Maga instructor, and why he doesn't offer classes in that is beyond me. That is supposed to be one of the worlds best self defense systems. Either way, $80 bucks a month for anything short of being personally trained by the spirit of Bruce Lee is robbery. I'd pay $80 per month for a legit kung fu program; maybe up to $60 for krav maga, hapkido, or aikido; and about $35 for basic karate or TKD, maybe up to $45 for a good hardcore Okinawa style karate or jujitsu...
Know HIM

Houston, TX

#7 Feb 7, 2009
They had to close, due to the economy.

“It's all about perspective....”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#9 Feb 7, 2009
kung fu wrote:
Most of the places around here don't charge over $45.00 per month. The police athletic league did have karate and jujitsu for kids for free. There's so many that have gone out of business though, that it's hard to say who's charging what. I'm uncertain if there's even a credible program here anymore. Most places teach for tournaments, and not real self defense. TKD USA has produced a few national champions, but the instructor is a real douche, and again, I wouldn't credit that place with real self defense. I've heard that the Paris Black Belt Academy guy used to be a Krav Maga instructor, and why he doesn't offer classes in that is beyond me. That is supposed to be one of the worlds best self defense systems. Either way,$80 bucks a month for anything short of being personally trained by the spirit of Bruce Lee is robbery. I'd pay $80 per month for a legit kung fu program; maybe up to $60 for krav maga, hapkido, or aikido; and about $35 for basic karate or TKD, maybe up to $45 for a good hardcore Okinawa style karate or jujitsu...
Wow... I have been robbed! I was paying more than 80 bucks a month for my daughter's lessons at Paris Black Belt Academy! Although it wasn't the money that led us to discontinue lessons there but another issue, I would be interested in finding another class for her. She is currently a red belt and middle school age. Can someone suggest a good instructor?
wow

Haltom City, TX

#10 Feb 7, 2009
Way2real wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow... I have been robbed! I was paying more than 80 bucks a month for my daughter's lessons at Paris Black Belt Academy! Although it wasn't the money that led us to discontinue lessons there but another issue, I would be interested in finding another class for her. She is currently a red belt and middle school age. Can someone suggest a good instructor?
Was the Black Belt Academy owner putting the the moves on you? I know he has done that to other wives.

“It's all about perspective....”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#11 Feb 7, 2009
wow wrote:
<quoted text> Was the Black Belt Academy owner putting the the moves on you? I know he has done that to other wives.
No. Actually, it had become a rare event for him to be there.

United States

#13 Feb 7, 2009
<quoted text>
Good Lord! Someone hasn't killed Kelly yet? He was one of the biggest jerks around, but he always recognized it, so we always got along. lol.
Kill Kelly? Better bring a gun. With Kelly, you reap what you sew. He tends to mirror his opponents demeanor. And he's always a gentleman unless someone with a bad attitude shows up. I have nothing bad to say about him.

BTW, he's easily located in Texarkana, if you'd like to drop in and reminisce.

United States

#15 Feb 7, 2009
<quoted text>
Nah, Kelly was never very hard to spar. He was fun. Our schools used to spar each other on occasion for fun back when he taught at Genesis Health Club. He was always the first to admit that he could be an "asshole" (his word not mine), and he and I were always friendly.
We agree! I think we can all be an ass sometimes. I know I can. Kelly is a good guy.
To Bad

Corpus Christi, TX

#16 Mar 6, 2009
Sad to see that Shane went out of business....

As for the price,$80 is really not anything (He charged less for adults)

My son and I train in Corpus Christi, under BJJ Black Belt Hector Munoz (Look for him on the WEC in the next few months - he corners Cowboy Cerrone and Leonard Garcia now). Lessons for my son are $75 a month for MMA/BJJ and $90 for me. The real issue is that people in Paris want something for nothing and thus can't seems to keep a legit business going..

I have trained in Dallas, Miami and Corpus (and visited HHMMA in Paris) and what you guys were getting there was legit - Master Carlos is one of the Best (That is who Shane trained under)

I guess Paris can keep the political TDK schools that charge for the right ot belt and makes 10 year old Black Belts..:-( Sad...(Great Art, just sad that some instructors are willing to belt just for cash)

Shane - Hope all is well - Thanks again for letting Spencer roll with ya and for the Matt Hughes intro in Dallas at the Europa World Championships.....
To Bad

Corpus Christi, TX

#17 Mar 6, 2009
Sorry... error in my other both.... charges less for kids NOT adults
Shane Lee

Paris, TX

#18 Jul 30, 2009
A friend that was on here posting just called and said I should see this so here I am.

I closed the school as mentioned due to the condition of the local economy, people signing up coming to classes and oweing me months of fees, me being to nice and giving people credit who didn't pay the credit, and my real job was sending me out of town too much and it wasn't fair to the PAYING students.

As my friend Too Bad stated the fee's were lower than what you would pay for "Real" BJJ and MMA instruction. Typical fees normally range from $100 -$200 per month. I could not pay rent and continue legitimately training myself if I had charged $45 per month. Unless I had 50 0r 100 students. For some reason it was very hard to attract students and I honestly believe it was because you literally had to challenge yourself and was going to lose or win on a daily or minute by minute basis. And sometimes that is hard on a person's ego which should not matter but it seems to have it's affect. I always let people try it for two weeks and I don't think you'll find anyone who did not like it or find it fair or legit that came in and tried it out.

I had plans to bring in my friends: Matt Hughes, Robbie Lawler, Matt Lindland, and Marc Fiore and others to train with my school had it grown properly.

I was constantly hearing that I wasn't legit or whatever and that just comes with the territory. I am happy for all the martial arts schools and instructors in the area that are flourishing but I can say that you have lost the only true MMA gym in Paris and the only way to get the true MMA and BJJ training I provided would be to go train with Bridges in Clarksville or go to Dallas.

I fell at work 3 months ago and herniated a few discs in my neck and messed up my right knee both reqiure surgery. It is my hope when I am well to somehow offer training again in Paris. I have been in talks with a couple local gyms to try and make it happen. But for now I am off work and awaiting surgery.

I went up to Illinois to be with Lawler, Fiore, and Hughes before Robbies Strikeforce fight a month or so ago. Note: We all watch Kung Fu Panda in Robbie's room before the fight. It was good. Fiore wants me to open again and get them involved.

Professor Carlos Machado still calls to check on me and wants me to make another go of it as well.

BTW... Did anyone see my buddy Big Rig on Daisy of Love?

If anyone watches boxing my friend Ryan Davis is fighting at the end of the month on Fox. He has offered to come work stand up as well.

I guess I am saying there are allot of things that caused us to close, I don't know what the future holds for me till after surgery, I have plenty of support, look for the Headhunter guy's that are still fighting (two fight on August 8 in Nashville DJ Loveless and Robert Coulter), and it doesn't matter where you train just train.

Thanks
MMA fan

Tyler, TX

#19 Jul 30, 2009
Hey Shane - I truly hope that you are able to re-open in Paris someday. Good luck with your surgeries & I will be praying for you to make a full & fast recovery. We need REAL instructors in this town, and from all I heard you were that man, so thank you for that.
Shane Lee

Paris, TX

#20 Jul 30, 2009
MMA fan wrote:
Hey Shane - I truly hope that you are able to re-open in Paris someday. Good luck with your surgeries & I will be praying for you to make a full & fast recovery. We need REAL instructors in this town, and from all I heard you were that man, so thank you for that.
Thanks that means allot to me. I will update on here for anyone concerned.
bill

Keauhou, HI

#21 Oct 21, 2009
Shane how have you recovered? Did you ever get anything going in paris tx. I am interested in training with you. Or do you know anyone or place else in paris tx that you trust
bill

Keauhou, HI

#22 Oct 21, 2009
Shane, Have you started training people again? How have the surgeries gone? If you havent opened up a school, who else would you recomend the Paris, Tx area?
Shane Lee

Paris, TX

#23 Apr 29, 2010
I just had neck surgery Monday.... .. My intention is to implement my MMA/BJJ curriculum within James Hales ATA Academy on Clarksville. I have spent time with him over the last few months and find him to be a true martal artist that I will be able to work with and he is more than willing to crosstrain in all aspects of the Martial Arts and I will crosstrain in his style. His space is more than sufficient to accomidate the MMA aspect and I look forward to moving forward in this business venture in the near futue. Be looking for this coming in the next fw months.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PEDC Interim Manager 2 hr Results 32
Champion motors 2 hr FYI 9
Powderly Store 4 hr Name 2
empty KFC bldg. 7 hr anon 13
Discrimination 8 hr Just looking 4
Whew.. a more difficult word game... (Sep '09) 10 hr Vector aka Victor... 7,480
pedc budget ??? 11 hr Fixed Expenses 16
How much does anytime fitness cost per month?? (Oct '10) Jul 30 no love loss 367
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Paris Mortgages