of 4
Next Last
Cibil War

Paris, TX

#1 Feb 4, 2008

Letters to the Editor
February 4, 2008

To the Editor:

I am very upset with the drug task force in Lamar county and also with the DA's office. A 19 year-old was raided by the task force and coerced into calling someone and having them bring drugs to the home, the child had to answer the door with their guns drawn. The parent, a younger sibling and a friend of the child were taken to a back room and had no idea what was going on.

An adult at 18 — no, 19 — no, 20 — no, 21 — yes — how can a person be considered an adult for something, yet not others.

Another child, 20 — was approached by a court appointed attorney with a plea bargain. To be involved in one or more drug set-ups, and deferred adjudification would be the reward.

Are there not trained, paid officers whose job it is to catch drug dealers? Should anyone under the age of 21 be asked to put their life, and their families life at risk? Is it legal to threaten a young adult with harsher sentences or to take their families to jail if they won't comply.

I also made a trip to the DA's office. I wanted to know who was over them. They couldn't tell me. So the chain of command stops there. They can do as they please and have no one to answer to. What a great position to have. Lamar County's Drug Task Force — maybe they should have more funding to hire and train undercover officers to do the drug set-ups and arrests. Then maybe they wouldn't feel the need to use kids with no way to protect themselves during such an operation.

Also, the child that was used in the set-up of a drug deal, death threats were sent — parent left voice mail for a particular member of drug task force — no response.

I also wonder should anybody of any age, race or color be tempted with shorter sentences or threatened by police in order to do their work for them. If they need more officers, deputies, or investigators — by all means — lets find it in the budget to hire them.

Julie Burton

Cibil War

Paris, TX

#2 Feb 4, 2008
Well Gary Young has made it perfectly clear, he's said it over and over...If you don't plead guilty like he says, you will pay dearly. If you don't come up with some names of someone he can set up, you will pay dearly. If he doesn't have any evidence, he will send you over to Sherman where it can be manufactured because only hearsay is needed. The name of the game is MONEY and RECOGNITION. He wants to be known as the D.A. who got the most convictions and the most money for Lamar County and he doesn't care how this is accomplished.
Cibil War

Paris, TX

#3 Feb 4, 2008
One of Gary Youngs favorite sayings is "He/She wanted their day in court so he/she got it" after he gets a life sentence or close to it.
In response Cibil

Monahans, TX

#4 Feb 4, 2008
Where does it state tahat the Paris Police Dept has anything to do with the Lamar County Drug Task Force. Sounds like it's Lamar County and not the City of Paris?
Cibil War

Paris, TX

#5 Feb 4, 2008
In response Cibil wrote:
Where does it state tahat the Paris Police Dept has anything to do with the Lamar County Drug Task Force. Sounds like it's Lamar County and not the City of Paris?
In the Paris News
Drug task forces tackle drug ring
By Bill Hankins
The Paris News
Published September 20, 2007
Quietly, and without much fanfare, a multi-agency drug task force has cleared Lamar County roads and streets of some of the most active methamphetamine dealers of this decade.

Lamar County Sheriff B.J. McCoy said,“The kicker here is we are getting a lot of narcotics violators off the street, and it is not like state punishment, where they get a lot of time credit. These people will do more time in the federal system. That keeps them off the street longer and slows down the drug trafficking.”
Those arrests came when the Paris Police Department narcotics unit was disbanded. When the police narcotics unit was put back into action, its officers joined in the search going back years in the records to help determine associates of people in past arrests and link up a network of drug dealing.

Those indicted for conspiracy to possess with intent to manufacture and distribute methamphetamine include Tracy Lawson Brown, Tony Edward Flatt, Justin Kyle Foster, Brian Kirk Frazier, David Mark Hardy, Trey Gravan Harvey, Quenton Huskins, Brittany Juanita Ingram, Bridgett Kay Johnson, Talbert Dean Long, Anthony David Maroney, Chet Thomas Mauldin, Jimmy Larry Mills, David Ryan Robison, Wesley Eugene Robison, Bryan Stephen Spann, Jason Lloyd Thornton and Robert Gene Williams.
In addition to the drug charges, Harvey was charged with felon in possession of a firearm; Thornton with unlawful user of a controlled substance in possession of a firearm, and Maroney and Williams with possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime.
“This investigation took some major methamphetamine traffickers into custody and removed them from the street," Amis said.
In addition to the drugs, guns and vehicle, officers seized more than $19,000 in cash during various arrests.
Of the suspects in the cases, many already had served state jail time and some even had pending charges against them.

During the investigation, officers were able to add many new names to the list of possible suspects through surveillance and through the potential suspects' association with the known drug dealers.
Many of those known associates still are being considered as suspects.
“Paris Police Department officers and sheriff's investigators worked as a team doing a terrific job, and I could not be more proud of these boys working for all of us,” said McCoy.
Local officers involved in the investigation, in addition to Amis and Brooks, were Sgt. Jeff Springer, Paris Police Department Narcotics; Investigator Leigh Foreman, Paris Police Department Narcotics; Investigator Shane Stone, Paris Police Department Narcotics; Investigator Tommy Moore, Paris Police Department Crimes Unit; Investigator Doug Thompson, Paris Police Department Felony Crimes Unit, and Sgt. Brian Perry, Texas Department of Public Safety Narcotics Division.
comparison

Paris, TX

#6 Feb 4, 2008
That answers that question!
comparison

Paris, TX

#7 Feb 4, 2008
In response Cibil wrote:
I don't know why ya'll bother to ask her these questions when you know she has the proof.lmao!
comparison

Paris, TX

#8 Feb 4, 2008
Cibil War wrote:
Letters to the Editor
February 4, 2008
To the Editor:
I am very upset with the drug task force in Lamar county and also with the DA's office. A 19 year-old was raided by the task force and coerced into calling someone and having them bring drugs to the home, the child had to answer the door with their guns drawn. The parent, a younger sibling and a friend of the child were taken to a back room and had no idea what was going on.
An adult at 18 — no, 19 — no, 20 — no, 21 — yes — how can a person be considered an adult for something, yet not others.
Another child, 20 — was approached by a court appointed attorney with a plea bargain. To be involved in one or more drug set-ups, and deferred adjudification would be the reward.
Are there not trained, paid officers whose job it is to catch drug dealers? Should anyone under the age of 21 be asked to put their life, and their families life at risk? Is it legal to threaten a young adult with harsher sentences or to take their families to jail if they won't comply.
I also made a trip to the DA's office. I wanted to know who was over them. They couldn't tell me. So the chain of command stops there. They can do as they please and have no one to answer to. What a great position to have. Lamar County's Drug Task Force — maybe they should have more funding to hire and train undercover officers to do the drug set-ups and arrests. Then maybe they wouldn't feel the need to use kids with no way to protect themselves during such an operation.
Also, the child that was used in the set-up of a drug deal, death threats were sent — parent left voice mail for a particular member of drug task force — no response.
I also wonder should anybody of any age, race or color be tempted with shorter sentences or threatened by police in order to do their work for them. If they need more officers, deputies, or investigators — by all means — lets find it in the budget to hire them.
Julie Burton
Julie this is not unusual and I've heard of cases where the kids were younger. Why do you think so many kids from Paris have ended up at TYC or where ever. The DA seems to love prosecuting these kids. Other DA's would probably look at the evidence and refuse to prosecute. But no not ours. These kids go down in his record book as part of his major accomplishments.
Reality Checker

United States

#9 Feb 4, 2008
comparison wrote:
<quoted text>Julie this is not unusual and I've heard of cases where the kids were younger. Why do you think so many kids from Paris have ended up at TYC or where ever. The DA seems to love prosecuting these kids. Other DA's would probably look at the evidence and refuse to prosecute. But no not ours. These kids go down in his record book as part of his major accomplishments.
Seems to be a lot of smoke and I'm sure there is much fire at the DA's office. Makes you wonder how some people sleep at night?

There are lots of folks that are greedy in this old world, in one way or another. Some want power and money etc., but... It's how you go about getting what you want. Honest or dishonest?

Thing is, we all get to meet our maker at some point, cuz we'll never get out of this world alive. I wouldn't want the elevator to go DOWN, when I take that "dirt" nap. HOW ABOUT YOU?
comparison

Paris, TX

#10 Feb 4, 2008
Reality Checker wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to be a lot of smoke and I'm sure there is much fire at the DA's office. Makes you wonder how some people sleep at night?
There are lots of folks that are greedy in this old world, in one way or another. Some want power and money etc., but... It's how you go about getting what you want. Honest or dishonest?
Thing is, we all get to meet our maker at some point, cuz we'll never get out of this world alive. I wouldn't want the elevator to go DOWN, when I take that "dirt" nap. HOW ABOUT YOU?
You said a mouthful and I agree with every word you said. Pleasant dreams. I'm glad I don't have a problem sleeping. The only thing is I'm so concerned about what's going on in our community I stay up late reading whats on the computer. Sure glad I'm on vacation. I'd probably have a problem getting up this morning.
Lawman_student55

Paris, TX

#11 Feb 9, 2008
Dear Ms. Cibil War: You have made many responces to our police department. I know you and some of your troubles you have caused, even with the WNACP. Your a black person with all kinds of problems, one right after another.
I see that you art to sighted for, violation of the 1st Amendment, of trying to sight a riot,with all the blacks in Paris. Blacks are the ones that causes all of these propblems in the first place.
Instead of fighting against the police and the sheriff's office , why don'y you try to work with them.
I have studyed law now for 8 yraes and I know and understand what they have to put up with, a bithc like to. I suport our law inforcment 1005, because I know the law. Maybe if you know something about the lawinforcement you would help as well.
but all youy want to do is bitch. Why don't you just shut up.
back to school

Federal Way, WA

#12 Feb 9, 2008
Lawman_student55 wrote:
Dear Ms. Cibil War: You have made many responces to our police department. I know you and some of your troubles you have caused, even with the WNACP. Your a black person with all kinds of problems, one right after another.
I see that you art to sighted for, violation of the 1st Amendment, of trying to sight a riot,with all the blacks in Paris. Blacks are the ones that causes all of these propblems in the first place.
Instead of fighting against the police and the sheriff's office , why don'y you try to work with them.
I have studyed law now for 8 yraes and I know and understand what they have to put up with, a bithc like to. I suport our law inforcment 1005, because I know the law. Maybe if you know something about the lawinforcement you would help as well.
sweetie you need to go back to school and learn to spell - I find it hard to believe that someone who has STUDIED LAW ENFORCEMENT for 8 YEARS can't spell better than you. You don't sight a riot, one incites a riot. You OUGHT not art to be able to spell better than you do.
Lettin you know

Tyler, TX

#13 Feb 12, 2008
Reality Checker wrote:
<quoted text>
It's ok Reality Checker. It's just a few upset people in Paris. they are going to be upset no matter who is in there. There are going to be upset when the police get children who committ crimes. This happens all over the place world wide. Look at the school shootings nationwide. We had over 40 last year. I guess the real question is...Do these kids know the difference between right and wrong? I would probably say yes. Is the punishment given too much? Probably so. But to sit and whine about things as such is a waste of time. I appreciate your comments.
onesmom

Paris, TX

#14 Feb 12, 2008
This just p*s me off! Not many of those kids were over 23 or so, and NONE of them were the "big" dealers they have been made out to be. They specifically did NOT want the ones at the top. And for every ONE they took out of play, there were at least 15 young, stupid, hungry kids ready to take their place. And although they may have been CHARGED with many crimes, most of them were only indicted for one. That is because they only had proof of the one and if the poor kids didn't do what Young wanted, well, he just piled on the charges and carried around the folders like they were lined with gold or something. It is horrible that we live in this society where this kind of thing is happening every day! AND BY THE WAY there is technically NO drug task force because that isn't covered by the new grant that the county attorney's office received. They only have a felony crimes unit with the same people doing the same thing that they were doing before. Too bad that it is in violation of the terms of the grant.
Fact Checker

United States

#16 Feb 12, 2008
Definition of Crooked?
adj. 1. Having angles or crooks; not straight. 2. Not straightforward in conduct; tricky; dishonest
Cibil War

Paris, TX

#17 Feb 13, 2008
Lawman_student55 wrote:
Dear Mr. Azzhole,
Thats why you're just a student and will never be a lawyer. If the police department does not want to have "responses", as you call it, I suggest they start doing the right thing. The police need to be held accountable for what they do just like anyone else. They are servants to the public. Some are CORRUPT and thats that. I am definately a black person. You're a white person. Everyone has problems. Whats your damn point you idiot?
You said " see that you art to sighted for, violation of the 1st Amendment" LOLOL!!! What the hell are you talking about? Law student?? Hell, you can't even write out a logical sentence. What in the world would you do if you had to file a brief? You spell like a first grader. And you say you've been studying law for 8 years. No wonder the entire criminal justice system is jacked the hell up. Look what the law schools are turning out. ROFLMAO!!! And what the hell is the WNACP and what "troubles" did I cause them????

Since: Oct 07

Mckinney, TX

#18 Feb 13, 2008
onesmom wrote:
This just p*s me off! Not many of those kids were over 23 or so,.
At 23 I don't consider them 'kids' anymore. They're old enough to know what they were doing is illegal and should expect to pay the price for it if caught. Maybe they're not the ones that need to be caught the worst but they were caught none the less.
onesmom

Paris, TX

#19 Feb 13, 2008
Razzle wrote:
<quoted text>
At 23 I don't consider them 'kids' anymore. They're old enough to know what they were doing is illegal and should expect to pay the price for it if caught. Maybe they're not the ones that need to be caught the worst but they were caught none the less.
maybe you misunderstood my point. And the point was in reference to the article quoted that a lot of really bad people were off of the streets. I don't consider the first-time offenders to be "really bad people". And it just doesn't hurt to remember that all defendents are "somebody's baby" no matter how old they are. I don't have one problem with any of them getting punished, not even my own, but for a person to get arrested one time and be expected to spend the rest of his life for a poor choice...well I just don't see that happening anywhere else. AND keep in mind that if the non existent drug task force is following someone and they go into Kroger, and stop you and ask you if you know where the pickles are, they will snap a picture of you and then you become one of the conspirators. Just check it out...you WILL be amazed at how easy it is to get sucked into one of these cases without even knowing about it.
comparison

Paris, TX

#20 Feb 13, 2008
Razzle wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe if the ones who needed to be caught the worst "were" there wouldn't be a problem with the rest.
cibil sux

Lomita, CA

#21 Feb 13, 2008
Cibil War wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Mr. Azzhole,
Thats why you're just a student and will never be a lawyer. If the police department does not want to have "responses", as you call it, I suggest they start doing the right thing. The police need to be held accountable for what they do just like anyone else. They are servants to the public. Some are CORRUPT and thats that. I am definately a black person. You're a white person. Everyone has problems. Whats your damn point you idiot?
You said " see that you art to sighted for, violation of the 1st Amendment" LOLOL!!! What the hell are you talking about? Law student?? Hell, you can't even write out a logical sentence. What in the world would you do if you had to file a brief? You spell like a first grader. And you say you've been studying law for 8 years. No wonder the entire criminal justice system is jacked the hell up. Look what the law schools are turning out. ROFLMAO!!! And what the hell is the WNACP and what "troubles" did I cause them????
He's going to the same law school as your little cottonpicker. I see you're still peekin around the corner to see what's being said about you. LOL!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mother of the Month 12 min GGG 105
Paris Regional Medical Center 2 hr Dallas 1
Reno meth 2 hr Nasty Asses 18
Was God a Christian? 4 hr True Words 824
So Let's Talk About Tactics 6 hr Tactics 15
Judge Bill Harris.. Don't know the law!!!! (Apr '12) 6 hr Mistreateddisresp... 119
Donald Trump 7 hr Raydot 7
Paris Bank Tower Downtown 7 hr Not Exactly Right 4

Paris Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Paris Mortgages