City of Paris
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
One who Knows

Windsor, CO

#1 Dec 6, 2009
The city of Paris lost a good and faithful steward of the people's interest and money in employee John Brunson. He should of been named the Public Works Directer instead of Shawn Napier. John didn't fit in to the Click at he city, he knew his job and how to do it. I hope John the best I can just about bet services for the city (public works)
will not be the same, it will be worse, one bet I would like to make is trash pick up will go private now. So sorry to lose you John
Anon

Paris, TX

#2 Dec 6, 2009
I heard that he was fired, with no notice, no severance, and no good reason--other than he has a wife with health issues. Someone needs to do something about the out of control city manager and his arbitrary firings
Curiosity killed the cat

Paris, TX

#3 Dec 6, 2009
Where did you get your information? I suspect there is another side to the story.
oreo

Paris, TX

#4 Dec 6, 2009
Anon wrote:
I heard that he was fired, with no notice, no severance, and no good reason--other than he has a wife with health issues. Someone needs to do something about the out of control city manager and his arbitrary firings
People don't get fired. You fire yourself! There had to be a reason.
slim1026

United States

#5 Dec 6, 2009
Kevin and Shawn are both great people. They also do a great job for our city. I would agree with Oreo
Plato

Wilmer, TX

#6 Dec 6, 2009
oreo wrote:
<quoted text>People don't get fired. You fire yourself! There had to be a reason.
He was a 17+ year employee who was very loyal, very competent, and who had been running public works for 2 1/2 years. He has worked under 3 or 4 managers at least, was hired into various positions in public works by the best public works direct the city ever had - B.A. Huddleston, and was moved out of the way because he is the most knowledgeable person on staff about sanitation - trash pick-up. The Brays will have their new landfill open this summer and will be making a move to take over residential trash pickup for the city. Removing a loyal employee who might give accurate analysis of the city's capacity to run that operation and who has only 2 1/2 years left to get his retirement is immoral, to say the least. If they don't want a long-time employee who has always done a good job and had not had any bad evaluations until the day they fired him - then they should have put him back to what he was originally doing and hired another person to be director. They have not followed their own personnel policies and they have not treated this man right. I am going to contribute some money for him to hire a lawyer and sue. He might or might not win, but the process will cost the city some money and some time and trouble.
yep

Fort Worth, TX

#7 Dec 6, 2009
I will say this about John Brunson. I do not know him personally but my experience has been to call any person working for the city that has a phone. You will get a recorded message that they are busy or away from the phone and to leave your name and number. Go ahead and leave your name and number but you are wasting you time. They never call you back. I'm still waiting for a person in engineering to call me back from 3 years ago to tell me if I can put a culvert in for a drive way. Call John Brunson (well, too late to do that now) and he will answer the phone and help you with whatever the problem is that you need solved or give you the answer that you need. That has been my experience over several years.
Anon

Paris, TX

#8 Dec 6, 2009
oreo wrote:
<quoted text>People don't get fired. You fire yourself! There had to be a reason.
This is such a revealing comment. You are showing yourself to be a totally clueless, provencial person, who has likely never lived outside of Lamar County, and one who is unaware of what is going on in the broader world of commerce and economics in this country. You are further ingnorant of the politics of city government and corporate America and should inform yourself before posting ignorant generalities like the above.
Duh

Paris, TX

#9 Dec 6, 2009
Plato wrote:
<quoted text>
He was a 17+ year employee who was very loyal, very competent, and who had been running public works for 2 1/2 years. He has worked under 3 or 4 managers at least, was hired into various positions in public works by the best public works direct the city ever had - B.A. Huddleston, and was moved out of the way because he is the most knowledgeable person on staff about sanitation - trash pick-up. The Brays will have their new landfill open this summer and will be making a move to take over residential trash pickup for the city. Removing a loyal employee who might give accurate analysis of the city's capacity to run that operation and who has only 2 1/2 years left to get his retirement is immoral, to say the least. If they don't want a long-time employee who has always done a good job and had not had any bad evaluations until the day they fired him - then they should have put him back to what he was originally doing and hired another person to be director. They have not followed their own personnel policies and they have not treated this man right. I am going to contribute some money for him to hire a lawyer and sue. He might or might not win, but the process will cost the city some money and some time and trouble.
You mean it will cost the taxpayers some money, time and trouble. On behalf of city taxpayers, Thanks a lot!
wowww

Paris, TX

#10 Dec 6, 2009
I know Mr. Brunson and he is a very nice, intelligent and hard working man. I wish him the best. To fire someone at Chritmas time that has a wife with health issues and a son with some type of disability whom will always be dependent on his father is a horrible thing to do. I hope what Mr. Carruth has done to Mr. Brunson will come back to haunt him! Horrible, horrible shame!!!
Call

United States

#11 Dec 6, 2009
Everyone give Mr. Brunson a call to let him know that you stand behind him. I wish you the very best in you lawsuit, hope you get a huge compensation check. God Bless you and you family!
oreo

Paris, TX

#12 Dec 6, 2009
oreo wrote:
Dear cluless and nuts, it is a known fact! People fire themselves period!!!! It had to be something he said or did wrong. Do you know all the details?? I think not or he would still be employed. You just don't go and fire someone without a very good reason. Just stating facts from my past managerial experience, 41 yrs. to be exact.
Butthead

Paris, TX

#13 Dec 6, 2009
Curiosity killed the cat wrote:
Where did you get your information? I suspect there is another side to the story.
Oh you are so very correct there. IN MY OPINION.
jumusbekiddin

Paris, TX

#14 Dec 6, 2009
Plato wrote:
<quoted text>
How were you related to Mr. Huddleston?
Butthead

Paris, TX

#15 Dec 6, 2009
yep wrote:
I will say this about John Brunson. I do not know him personally but my experience has been to call any person working for the city that has a phone. You will get a recorded message that they are busy or away from the phone and to leave your name and number. Go ahead and leave your name and number but you are wasting you time. They never call you back. I'm still waiting for a person in engineering to call me back from 3 years ago to tell me if I can put a culvert in for a drive way. Call John Brunson (well, too late to do that now) and he will answer the phone and help you with whatever the problem is that you need solved or give you the answer that you need. That has been my experience over several years.
Means someone that is supposed to supervise Public Works crews is always next to a phone in my opinion that isn't what a supervisor should be doing. They should be out checking on their employees some and in the office some. Now, when you can tell me you have seen him out checking on his workers, you can debate me.
And

Paris, TX

#16 Dec 6, 2009
Butthead wrote:
<quoted text>Means someone that is supposed to supervise Public Works crews is always next to a phone in my opinion that isn't what a supervisor should be doing. They should be out checking on their employees some and in the office some. Now, when you can tell me you have seen him out checking on his workers, you can debate me.
And you have?
Plato

Arlington, TX

#17 Dec 6, 2009
You reveal yourself to be NOT MUCH MANAGER. I had a long and successful career in management and I know how to treat people fairly and how to value the most important asset of any company or city - and that is the employees! If you think a person has to say or do something wrong to get fired, you are living in la la land. Unfair, often illegal, and certainly immoral employee firings go on everyday in many companies and public institutions. Most management in this country is clueless about how to run an organization - and it is a lot worse than it was 20 or 30 years ago. Some corporate types and some managers in the past had values and morals - today that is almost never the case.
oreo wrote:
<quoted text>Dear cluless and nuts, it is a known fact! People fire themselves period!!!! It had to be something he said or did wrong. Do you know all the details?? I think not or he would still be employed. You just don't go and fire someone without a very good reason. Just stating facts from my past managerial experience, 41 yrs. to be exact.
Plato

Arlington, TX

#18 Dec 6, 2009
jumusbekiddin wrote:
<quoted text>How were you related to Mr. Huddleston?
Not related whatsoever. When he was director, he was on top of the problems - the infrastructure was taken care of better than at any time in history of Paris. More bang for the taxpayer dollar - more work done and more done correctly. Great manager.
SusieQ

Paris, TX

#19 Dec 6, 2009
His job was eliminated, that's true. But it wasn't out of the blue.......the assistant PW director position was to be eliminated and a full time director is to be hired. There was no place for JB to go. He can apply for the director's job, there's nothing stopping him from that. As for the person that said there was no notice - he has had at least 2 or 3 months knowing this was a possibility. His staying or going has no effect on whether the sanitation would be to a private company. The citizens of Paris voted on that, or has everyone forgotten that little episode. As for "Plato" who stated JB had been running PW for 2 1/2 yrs, check your dates. He has been doing it longer than that, more like 4 or 5. And to think that PW would "not be the same" well, that sounds like a slap in the face to the employees that do the work. Do you think will not continue to do their job because JB is gone? Hey, here's a thought - maybe a full time PW director will improve the dept and the morale.
here ya go

Paris, TX

#20 Dec 6, 2009
jumusbekiddin wrote:
<quoted text>How were you related to Mr. Huddleston?
I'm not related to him, but I did have a relative that worked underneath him. Things got really bad really quickly after he retired! There's VERY few people in PW that were there during that time! I don't know the whole story on JB, but I'm sure it's not good! You don't just eliminate a job and oust someone with that much invested into their job! You PUT them somewhere else temporarily if you have to, but you don't just feed them to the wolves!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
U. S. Navy Names Ship for a Queer 4 hr The dude 5
Using Real Names in Title of Threads/Posts 5 hr Consider self-imm... 11
Paris High - Terrell Football 5 hr Gumshoes 1
DEVELOPING .....Clinton Crime Foundation will b... 5 hr Watchgod 25
Mestizos and Negroes Fail Again 6 hr Polls are Propaganda 3
Favorite Bible Verses (Mar '11) 7 hr Tactics 712
Was God a Christian? 8 hr Tactics 1,155

Paris Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance