Contact Commissioners to say don't d...

Contact Commissioners to say don't do it

Posted in the Paris Forum

Sunrise

United States

#1 Dec 9, 2012
According to the PN, the commissioners will consider accepting private roads in Beaver Creek Estates as public roadways on December 10. This would be a very bad and expensive decision. The roads are very narrow and are falling apart in many places. Does anyone know if there is a code for acceptable legal width of a road? The expense to maintain the roads should be borne by the developer especially since they were not built to any standard. The only way this should be considered is for the developer to first make the roads a standard width and make all repairs according to specifications of a knowledgable official. Please contact all commissioners and tell them not to do this. Widening the roads has many ramification such as acquiring the extra land to widen. Where the concrete has collapsed, it appears that the concrete slab is thin.
Taxpayer

Quinlan, TX

#2 Dec 9, 2012
Sunrise wrote:
According to the PN, the commissioners will consider accepting private roads in Beaver Creek Estates as public roadways on December 10. This would be a very bad and expensive decision. The roads are very narrow and are falling apart in many places. Does anyone know if there is a code for acceptable legal width of a road? The expense to maintain the roads should be borne by the developer especially since they were not built to any standard. The only way this should be considered is for the developer to first make the roads a standard width and make all repairs according to specifications of a knowledgable official. Please contact all commissioners and tell them not to do this. Widening the roads has many ramification such as acquiring the extra land to widen. Where the concrete has collapsed, it appears that the concrete slab is thin.
I will be supporting this. For many years the residents of Beaver Creek have paid taxes and have received literally nothing in return. There is no neighborhood in the county that has paid more in over the years than this one and received so little.

Many of the roads in the county are along land that is valued as agricultural land and pay next to nothing in taxes. For years our tax money has been spent on these roads. It seems fitting to allocate the money to where it originated for a change (assuming that repairs will be done).

By the way, the OP fails to point out the many miles of narrow substandard roads in the county that are not up to ideal standards.
citizen

Dallas, TX

#3 Dec 9, 2012
I the people of the creek just dont want to maintain their own roads. They want privacy but dont want to pay for it. When i bought my house out there it was clear that the home owners were responsible for the roads, and as when i sold it. If you dont want to maintain the roads move and you wont have that problem. Or get a better realator that will explain to you what you are buying. If you dont like what you have its not the taxpayers problem it yours, quit looking for a hand out from the taxpayers and take responsability for your own stuff.
Sunrise

United States

#4 Dec 9, 2012
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
I will be supporting this. For many years the residents of Beaver Creek have paid taxes and have received literally nothing in return. There is no neighborhood in the county that has paid more in over the years than this one and received so little.
Many of the roads in the county are along land that is valued as agricultural land and pay next to nothing in taxes. For years our tax money has been spent on these roads. It seems fitting to allocate the money to where it originated for a change (assuming that repairs will be done).
Are you saying that the residents of Beaver Creek got a price break because of inferior roads but you feel that taxpayers should now step in and fix the roads? Everyone that owns property pays the same tax rate. These residents are and have paid no more than everyone else. What do you feel that the rest of us have received from the county that these residents have not received?
Taxpayer wrote:
By the way, the OP fails to point out the many miles of narrow substandard roads in the county that are not up to ideal standards.
Were these many miles of narrow substandard roads built by a housing developer contractor? If not, you are comparing apples to oranges.
voter

Paris, TX

#5 Dec 9, 2012
Sunrise wrote:
For the county to take over these roads is not a good thing. the developer didn't do a good job on making these roads, and he is finding that out now, and the cost to maintain these roads will be at the expense of the taxpayers. Come to Commissioners Court and tell Beaver Creek residents, to go back home, the county should not take over these roads. How does the new commissioner feel about this? He takes over in January. The commissioner going out at the end of the year, is this his way to get back at the taxpayers and the new commissioner for him not getting voted back in? I live in Powderly, and I would not live out at Beaver Creek because it smells like sewer out there.
Sunrise

United States

#6 Dec 9, 2012
voter wrote:
<quoted text> For the county to take over these roads is not a good thing. the developer didn't do a good job on making these roads, and he is finding that out now, and the cost to maintain these roads will be at the expense of the taxpayers. Come to Commissioners Court and tell Beaver Creek residents, to go back home, the county should not take over these roads. How does the new commissioner feel about this? He takes over in January. The commissioner going out at the end of the year, is this his way to get back at the taxpayers and the new commissioner for him not getting voted back in? I live in Powderly, and I would not live out at Beaver Creek because it smells like sewer out there.
Good points.
BCNO

Paris, TX

#7 Dec 11, 2012
Well, most of the roads in Beaver creek are of sufficient width for cars to pass each other, which i would consider good enough for me. They are not wide enough for 18 wheelers and large moving trucks to navigate, which i thinks pleases the homeowners as big, heavy trucks would tear up any street due to their weight. SO, the roads are just fine for residents and help inhibit vehicles that would destroy the streets... I call that a GOOD thing.

The streets are all failing? bullshit, the concrete streets are actually in really good shape. Only about 6 locations within Beaver Creek have damage to "concrete" streets that could seriously use repair. Copperhead which is NOT a concrete street is in serious need of repair. Melanie lane is technically an rock alley and needs work.

The simple truth is this, the concrete sections that need repaired an easy fix, hell, they are a cheap fix. Copperhead is by far the biggest issue as it needs to be completely re-surfaced. NOW, considering Beaver Creek residents pay OUT THE ASS in taxes, even with no city taxes, and have been paying them taxes for kickin upwards of 2 decades, you would think a couple thousand bucks in street repair for concrete streets, and even 16K for COMPLETELY replacing Copperheads street surfacing wouldnt be too much to ask.

Beaver Creek at last call has 156 homes
Average yearly taxes for each home is $2800 per year
Thats $436,800 that Beaver Creek contributes per year in Taxes to its precinct.
That's 4.3 Million in the past decade...
And they have to show for it is a Sheriff driving through there a couple times per day..

Yea, them numbers are approximate, Yea, North Lamar takes the largest portions of them tax dollars, but thats a whole nother argument in itself. The bottom line is that the county collects taxes and historically has done very little for the tax payers out there.

SO there you have it.

BCNO

Paris, TX

#8 Dec 11, 2012
citizen wrote:
I the people of the creek just dont want to maintain their own roads. They want privacy but dont want to pay for it. When i bought my house out there it was clear that the home owners were responsible for the roads, and as when i sold it. If you dont want to maintain the roads move and you wont have that problem. Or get a better realator that will explain to you what you are buying. If you dont like what you have its not the taxpayers problem it yours, quit looking for a hand out from the taxpayers and take responsability for your own stuff.
I call bullshit, the Beaver Creek homeowners ARE the taxpayers. If you "were" one of them, you would "know" that. You would also know that many of the roads are "aready" county-adopted. Beaver Creek encompases more wealth within its boundaries than the rest of the precinct combined. Therefore the residents of Beaver Creek and their tax dollars have been paying for repairs in other parts of the precinct. Look into it
BCNO

Paris, TX

#9 Dec 11, 2012
Already county adopted that is
Sunrise

United States

#10 Dec 12, 2012
BCNO wrote:
Well, most of the roads in Beaver creek are of sufficient width for cars to pass each other, which i would consider good enough for me. They are not wide enough for 18 wheelers and large moving trucks to navigate, which i thinks pleases the homeowners as big, heavy trucks would tear up any street due to their weight. SO, the roads are just fine for residents and help inhibit vehicles that would destroy the streets... I call that a GOOD thing.
So how are the gravel truck, cement trucks and other equipment going to get down the roads to make the repairs?
BCNO wrote:
The streets are all failing? bullshit, the concrete streets are actually in really good shape. Only about 6 locations within Beaver Creek have damage to "concrete" streets that could seriously use repair. Copperhead which is NOT a concrete street is in serious need of repair. Melanie lane is technically an rock alley and needs work.
The simple truth is this, the concrete sections that need repaired an easy fix, hell, they are a cheap fix. Copperhead is by far the biggest issue as it needs to be completely re-surfaced. NOW, considering Beaver Creek residents pay OUT THE ASS in taxes, even with no city taxes, and have been paying them taxes for kickin upwards of 2 decades, you would think a couple thousand bucks in street repair for concrete streets, and even 16K for COMPLETELY replacing Copperheads street surfacing wouldnt be too much to ask.
And they have to show for it is a Sheriff driving through there a couple times per day..
You made it clear that, in those numbers, you are counting all taxes - county, school and PJC. Only county taxes can be used for roads and I am sure school makes up the largest portion of your taxes. County taxes are used for other purposes than roads such as county employee salaries, county employee insurance, building maintenance, utilities, jail expenses, equipment purchases and maintenance and many other things. Your building contractor is responsible for your roads. Have you asked him to correct the problems?
BCNO wrote:
Yea, them numbers are approximate, Yea, North Lamar takes the largest portions of them tax dollars, but thats a whole nother argument in itself. The bottom line is that the county collects taxes and historically has done very little for the tax payers out there.
SO there you have it.
As it stands now, what responsibility does the county have for Beaver Creek that they have not fulfilled?
tweedledee

Paris, TX

#11 Dec 12, 2012
BCNO wrote:
SO there you have it.
You must be the developer!
BCNO

Paris, TX

#12 Dec 12, 2012
tweedledee wrote:
<quoted text>You must be the developer!
you must be an idiot!
BCNO

Paris, TX

#13 Dec 12, 2012
Sunrise wrote:
<quoted text>So how are the gravel truck, cement trucks and other equipment going to get down the roads to make the repairs?
<quoted text>You made it clear that, in those numbers, you are counting all taxes - county, school and PJC. Only county taxes can be used for roads and I am sure school makes up the largest portion of your taxes. County taxes are used for other purposes than roads such as county employee salaries, county employee insurance, building maintenance, utilities, jail expenses, equipment purchases and maintenance and many other things. Your building contractor is responsible for your roads. Have you asked him to correct the problems?
<quoted text>As it stands now, what responsibility does the county have for Beaver Creek that they have not fulfilled?
Gravel trucks? Didn't know anyone needed gravel, suppose they can hellicopter that in. As i previously stated, the roads are not wide enough for cars, to "pass" LARGE trucks on Beaver creek streets.

But of course it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that a cement truck working on a street such as Timberlakes wont need to be "passed" because the section of street being worked on will be "closed" while it's being repaired. Traffic will be detoured and all will be fine. As for other "heavy equipment" that you seem to feel will be needed, well, last i checked all that's needed is a concrete truck. I suppose where you come from they spread concrete with a bobcat? Honestly, it wouldnt even take a concrete truck, the damaged areas are small enough to be repaired with a portable mixer...

what responsibility does the county have for Beaver Creek that they have not fulfilled you ask? Well, I suppose you know that the worst of the concrete street damage
is on Timberlakes.. Well, Timberlakes is owned and maintained by Lamar County, so i would presume that if Timberlakes needs repair, and has not been repaired, that you should be able to figure the rest out on your own...or not. lol

Timberlakes is not the only street in Beaver Creek that Lamar County has adopted. And as a matter of fact Lamar County has "agreed" on several occasions to adopt "all" remaining Beaver Creek streets for many years. There's documented proof of that. So i suppose you can add that to the list of things Lamar County has not fulfilled.
BCNO

Paris, TX

#14 Dec 12, 2012
Sunrise wrote:
Your building contractor is responsible for your roads. Have you asked him to correct the problems?
You mean the developer? umm, no. He was only reposnsible for the first 6 years after the concrete was poured for them streets. That was almost 2 decades ago.
The non-county adopted streets channged to being the responsibility of the homeowners after that, until the County adopts them as they were "supposed" to, and like they "agreed" to 6 years after they were poured. And like Rodney Pollard agreed to do at a BCNA meeting 3 years ago.
0u812 ha

Paris, TX

#15 Dec 13, 2012
Agreed.
BCNO wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean the developer? umm, no. He was only reposnsible for the first 6 years after the concrete was poured for them streets. That was almost 2 decades ago.
The non-county adopted streets channged to being the responsibility of the homeowners after that, until the County adopts them as they were "supposed" to, and like they "agreed" to 6 years after they were poured. And like Rodney Pollard agreed to do at a BCNA meeting 3 years ago.
freebird

Plano, TX

#16 Dec 13, 2012
Hey, if you call maintenance throwing a few shovels full of asphalt once every two years you are on our co. rd.
hayseed

Clarksville, TX

#17 Dec 13, 2012
BCNO wrote:
<quoted text>
He needed votes then. Things have changed.
Sunrise

United States

#18 Dec 13, 2012
BCNO wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I should have said developer. You have made some interesting points.
--Where is it documented that the developer no longer has responsibility for the streets after 6 years? Is that in each property deed?
--Same question for streets becoming responsibility of homeowners? Where would that information be found in writing?
--Is the homeowner only responsible for streets that join their property? Exactly how is that stipulation worded?
--Where is it documented that the county is supposed to adopt the roads after 6 years or so? Who made that decision?
--Rodney Pollard would be one of five votes to agree on the county adopting the roads. How did the other four members vote on that issue?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Paris Bus System 35 min Watching 7
Ted Cruz is a Liar 41 min Vote 67
what's happening in paris? 59 min lol 9
Favorite Bible Verses (Mar '11) 3 hr needforreality 280
Mother of the Month 3 hr better know it 45
Donuld Crummp fer Prezzidunt 3 hr HA HA HA 15
new hospital on the loop 3 hr Tom T 14

Paris Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance