Getting high on ADHD meds?

Posted in the Paris Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
justcurious

United States

#1 Dec 30, 2010
Ok I'm really about to sound really dumb - but I am very curious.. A friend of mine, her kid ALWAYS runs low or out of his ADHD meds early in the month and I am beginning to wonder if they are selling them or using them? I Googled Focalin and it said you could snort the stuff for a small high.. Seriously?? I know it is really none of my business but when Medicaide wont pay for meds before it is time to refill them and (I give them money for the refill so they dont have to wait - YES I KNOW). I dont want the kid to get in trouble in school - but the more I think about it - the more I wonder. Dad called today and said they were out and Medicaide said they should have enough to get thru refill day on the 13th. I just dont understand. Any ideas?
Huh

Paris, TX

#2 Dec 30, 2010
justcurious wrote:
Ok I'm really about to sound really dumb - but I am very curious.. A friend of mine, her kid ALWAYS runs low or out of his ADHD meds early in the month and I am beginning to wonder if they are selling them or using them? I Googled Focalin and it said you could snort the stuff for a small high.. Seriously?? I know it is really none of my business but when Medicaide wont pay for meds before it is time to refill them and (I give them money for the refill so they dont have to wait - YES I KNOW). I dont want the kid to get in trouble in school - but the more I think about it - the more I wonder. Dad called today and said they were out and Medicaide said they should have enough to get thru refill day on the 13th. I just dont understand. Any ideas?
What exactly is your question? You trying to figure out how to abuse your kids meds?
umm

Paris, TX

#3 Dec 30, 2010
justcurious wrote:
AdHd meds make adults high. It has the same effect as diet pills or speed in adults and you don't have to snort it, just take the pills. I hear they are sold on the streets all the time. I used them one time to give me more energy (prescribed by my dr)but had to quit they made me really nervous and gave me heart flutters.
justcurious

United States

#4 Dec 30, 2010
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly is your question? You trying to figure out how to abuse your kids meds?
duhhhhh you are so freaking funny. Why do people need to get so dumbass about things and start off with are you trying to abuse your kids meds? What have you tried it? I tried to ask my doctor but he could not "professionally" answer my question - which made me wonder more. I do not condone drug use. I have given this family money often and paid for refills that medicaide would not refill due to the date and that they should have meds left. I do want to help the child because since he needs these meds I do not think it is fair he has to go without since I'm sure that these meds help him with his daily ability to function. if there is a possibility that his parents are doing something other than giving them to their kid - I am going to stop helping them. I wanted to know prior to cutting them off. I feel for the child = that was my only intent thank you. I did not have a clear idea of how to approach them with this. So there!
cars

Paris, TX

#5 Dec 30, 2010
justcurious

United States

#6 Dec 30, 2010
umm wrote:
<quoted text>
AdHd meds make adults high. It has the same effect as diet pills or speed in adults and you don't have to snort it, just take the pills. I hear they are sold on the streets all the time. I used them one time to give me more energy (prescribed by my dr)but had to quit they made me really nervous and gave me heart flutters.
Thank you - I am just so confused and I do not know how to approach this. He should have had a full two to three weeks or so worth of meds to get him into January. But the bottle was empty. I have never given my kids any kind of ADHD meds and have never taken anything stronger than Tylenol myself. I hope (in my own naive world) that there was something else that happened to the meds. It just breaks my heart that something else has happened. thanks for the info.
new name

United States

#7 Dec 30, 2010
Melthphenidate is a short acting form of Meth. It can be extracted from the pill with hot water, and the wax base cooled and garbaged then filtered threw cotton and injected with with identical effects of shorter acting cocaine with all the HIV and Hep C dangers. Or it can be snorted where shared straws can spread blood born dieases. It is a schedule 2 drug requiring triplicates to go to the state of texas because of it's potential for extream abuse, it can not be refilled. And tons of this pharmasutical methamphetamin is being given each day in USA schools.

Actual pharmasutical methaphetamine is called desoxyn 5mg tab. It is also a schedule 2 drug. Only 14k perscriptions were writen in US in one year and it has very limited uses, in obessity or narcolepsy. Once used by the military heavily. Perhaps scientest should try to find out why so many kids today are ADHD and not try to stop the behavior with such strong chemicals. Is it insecticides or inviromental things we have altered that is causing this massive need for ritlin and other drugs which are addictive to teens and adults, but tend to calm smaller children. Usually the school administers the medication, not the parent if abuse is suspected.
athought

United States

#8 Dec 30, 2010
Are you sure the kid is even out? Maybe the parents are just trying to get $$ off you or maybe its the parents abusing the medication by ingesting it or selling it. In either case it sounds very fishy to me. If the child is taking the recommended dosage which the parents should closely monitor then the meds shouldn't run out.
maybe

Warwick, RI

#9 Dec 31, 2010
The parents are giving the child more than the recommended dosage. I've heard some that give ADHD meds twice a day(when prescription is written as 'one time a day'), so the kids can function at school and the parents can deal with them after school. JMO
justcurious

United States

#10 Dec 31, 2010
oh my gosh! I dont want to point fingers - and I truly appreciate all the comments. I just hate to think the child goes without. I have purchased food for the boy as well when he comes over and says he is hungry. I dont know if I needed confirmation in my mind or just what. I will have to cut them off and maybe just invite him over every once in a while and order a pizza. He is a sweet child and he tugs at my heart strings. My husband even said I was probably being played. I just hope for the best in people I guess. Thanks again - I hope everyone has a Great New Year. Many blessings.
In the Know

Paris, TX

#11 Dec 31, 2010
These drugs are abused by adults and the kids are the ones that suffer. It is your responsibility legally to report any type of abuse that you feel might be occuring with this child. If he is hungry and his medical needs aren't being addressed by his parents then I would inform his school. The professionals at his school are required by law to keep the information you provide confidential.
justcurious

United States

#12 Dec 31, 2010
In the Know wrote:
These drugs are abused by adults and the kids are the ones that suffer. It is your responsibility legally to report any type of abuse that you feel might be occuring with this child. If he is hungry and his medical needs aren't being addressed by his parents then I would inform his school. The professionals at his school are required by law to keep the information you provide confidential.
who should I contact? I do not wan tto ccall CPS at this point as I dont want to loose contact with the child as sometimme I feel I maybe his only outlet.. School Nurse??
yes

Paris, TX

#13 Dec 31, 2010
In the Know wrote:
You have to report this. You have a good heart and I would continue to feed him if he were hungry too, but he is being neglected by not providing his medication and obviously by not getting fed. It's the only way to get this stopped or it will continue and he is the one getting hurt.
A Question

Dallas, TX

#14 Dec 31, 2010
I'm afraid your husband is correct - you are being played. There is no reason for the child to be out of medication before the allotted time, even once, if there is not some kind of abuse.

Good Luck!
justcurious

United States

#15 Dec 31, 2010
Thank you all - I just am broken hearted over this and it has been bugging me for weeks - even longer actually. I know kids can not help what they are born into. I am going to talk to the school nurse on Monday and see what she suggest I do. I'm now wondering - if I do contact CPS is it let know who reported them? Like I said I would just die if they knew it was me and I was unable to see the child. He plays with my daughter and son often and he is VERY sweet - I always make sure we have extra snacks and such "just in case" - Thanks again for all the guidence. It has just weighed on my mind and I have asked people but I didnt want it getting back to the parents that is why I came on Topix - i figured someone would know. I googled stuff and neatly cried.

Once again Thanks
why

Dallas, TX

#16 Jan 1, 2011
justcurious wrote:
you are a enabler or whatever if is called. you know it and if i could figure out who you are i would turn you in. you know they are not taking care of their child and now you are part of it. you are so afraid of pissing off the parents you keep giving them the money. so stop
justcurious

Paris, TX

#17 Jan 2, 2011
new name wrote:
Melthphenidate is a short acting form of Meth. It can be extracted from the pill with hot water, and the wax base cooled and garbaged then filtered threw cotton and injected with with identical effects of shorter acting cocaine with all the HIV and Hep C dangers. Or it can be snorted where shared straws can spread blood born dieases. It is a schedule 2 drug requiring triplicates to go to the state of texas because of it's potential for extream abuse, it can not be refilled. And tons of this pharmasutical methamphetamin is being given each day in USA schools.
Actual pharmasutical methaphetamine is called desoxyn 5mg tab. It is also a schedule 2 drug. Only 14k perscriptions were writen in US in one year and it has very limited uses, in obessity or narcolepsy. Once used by the military heavily. Perhaps scientest should try to find out why so many kids today are ADHD and not try to stop the behavior with such strong chemicals. Is it insecticides or inviromental things we have altered that is causing this massive need for ritlin and other drugs which are addictive to teens and adults, but tend to calm smaller children. Usually the school administers the medication, not the parent if abuse is suspected.
You cannot spell methylphenidate, borne, diseases, extreme, environmental, Ritalin, obesity, scientists, pharmaceutical, prescriptions, or written. Study your heart out tonight. You will be given a test at 8:00AM sharp.
Pharmacist

United States

#18 Jan 2, 2011
justcurious wrote:
Focalin is a narcotic,which makes it a controlled substance.It's usage is once daily. If he's given a 30 day supply then Medicaid will not refill until the 30 day is up. You are also saying that you give the money to the parents for the refills? Well, that money is not paying for a refill because the pharmacy won't refill until the 30 days is up. Also being a controlled substance,the child's doctor wouldn't be prescribing unlimited refills. The law allows up to a 90 day supply which means the refill is good for 3 months. After that,the refills have to be authorized by the doctor.
You are also saying this medication is only lasting a week or two on a thirty day supply? So this child is going without his medication for 2/3 weeks. Even with private pay,such as cash or insurance,it's against the law for any pharmacy to provide a refill,within 2/3 weeks on a 30 day supply.
It's clear that the parents are abusing this drug and even if the child is taking 2 pills when the prescribed usage is once daily,that's still abuse.It's your civil duty to turn this in because this child is either being overdosed or the parents are withholding his medication and using it for their own personal use which is also illegal.Do the right thing and report this!
not buying it

Humble, TX

#19 Jan 2, 2011
Pharmacist wrote:
<quoted text> Focalin is a narcotic,which makes it a controlled substance.It's usage is once daily. If he's given a 30 day supply then Medicaid will not refill until the 30 day is up. You are also saying that you give the money to the parents for the refills? Well, that money is not paying for a refill because the pharmacy won't refill until the 30 days is up. Also being a controlled substance,the child's doctor wouldn't be prescribing unlimited refills. The law allows up to a 90 day supply which means the refill is good for 3 months. After that,the refills have to be authorized by the doctor.
You are also saying this medication is only lasting a week or two on a thirty day supply? So this child is going without his medication for 2/3 weeks. Even with private pay,such as cash or insurance,it's against the law for any pharmacy to provide a refill,within 2/3 weeks on a 30 day supply.
It's clear that the parents are abusing this drug and even if the child is taking 2 pills when the prescribed usage is once daily,that's still abuse.It's your civil duty to turn this in because this child is either being overdosed or the parents are withholding his medication and using it for their own personal use which is also illegal.Do the right thing and report this!
thank you for providing accurate information!!!!
A Question

Melissa, TX

#20 Jan 2, 2011
justcurious wrote:
Thank you all - I just am broken hearted over this and it has been bugging me for weeks - even longer actually. I know kids can not help what they are born into. I am going to talk to the school nurse on Monday and see what she suggest I do. I'm now wondering - if I do contact CPS is it let know who reported them? Like I said I would just die if they knew it was me and I was unable to see the child. He plays with my daughter and son often and he is VERY sweet - I always make sure we have extra snacks and such "just in case" - Thanks again for all the guidence. It has just weighed on my mind and I have asked people but I didnt want it getting back to the parents that is why I came on Topix - i figured someone would know. I googled stuff and neatly cried.
Once again Thanks
Good luck Monday!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Women Protesting 51 min FYI 16
What happened to Ail Burress 1 hr Retired Lawyer 42
New Charges Filed 1 hr Dirt in my boots 4
Worst smell ever? (Jul '08) 3 hr Political Atheist 62
Rioters get 10 years prison 3 hr Political Atheist 5
Coon Hunting 4 hr FYI 4
If you are a white person and a Democrat . . . 6 hr Sargent Shultz 2
Judge Judy Dead at 68 (Aug '09) Mon Poopsie 44

Paris Jobs

More from around the web