First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Who controls

Paris, TX

#71 Oct 31, 2012
Addressing the original question of this thread -- who controls the price of gasoline in Paris. To a some extent, the consumer does. If the consumer starts cutting back on consumption, the price will go down. If the consumer continues to buy at high prices, the merchant has no incentive to cut the price.

We saw this at work a year or two ago. Prices rose to somewhere around $3.50 a gallon, then consumption started dropping. The price came back down. I guess people have become accustomed to $3.50 and are no longer cutting back.
car guy

Dallas, TX

#72 Nov 2, 2012
price pg in sherman today is 3.09.
geeze

Paris, TX

#73 Nov 2, 2012
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care whether you call it a gimmick price, a discounted price, a sham price, an advertised price or not the price at all -- what matters to me is how much I pay.
Well you're just a hard heaed dumdazz then
LOL

Paris, TX

#74 Nov 2, 2012
geeze wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you're just a hard heaed dumdazz then
I'm just wondering -- since you don't consider discounts on gasoline, do you count taxes? If you claim that the actual price of the gasoline is what's important, then you should't count the taxes, either, which in Texas run 20 cents a gallon.
traveler

United States

#75 Nov 2, 2012
Today I made a special trip to Sulpur Springs which is not far considering I live south of Paris. I was thrilled to see Pilot was 3.05, and Wall Mart was 3.04 with gas card. But where the real savings was is not in the gasoline but in the food prices. I know what I pay here in Paris for the same items and things there run from 25c less to 40c less and the variety is much larger. There was not a single shopping cart on the lot. A handicapped young man and an older man were keeping them cleared away unlike the kids who play on the wheel chairs here. I wonder if this store is run so much better because the manager is Hispanic? What ever the reason I'm making less trips to the store locally, and buying everything down the road. Paris has turned into some kind of an Island of it's on. The girl at the check out where I bought 250. in groceries said your the 10th person to use a Paris bank card today. Just told her that it appears the Paris Wall Mart prices things higher because it is an isolated little town. I always thought chains kept the same price. I know Home Depot does and other business's. Perhaps they believe Paris is a retirement center as it is labeled on some sites and the elderly just buy what they can where they can. I'm taking 4/ 5 gallon gas gans with me next trip and fill up my other vehicle despite the danger. Wish I could move away from here but you can't sell property anywhere as of now for any kind of a decent price.
geeze

Paris, TX

#76 Nov 2, 2012
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just wondering -- since you don't consider discounts on gasoline, do you count taxes? If you claim that the actual price of the gasoline is what's important, then you should't count the taxes, either, which in Texas run 20 cents a gallon.
You just don't get it - all I want to know is the price listed on the marquee that everyone can buy it for - not a discount price that if you meet the requiremnets then you get it for a cheaper price. If you best friend is a couponer and states to you I never pay more that 2 dollars for a weeks worth of groceries at Brookshires. She then gave you the list of the items she purchase never mentioning she bought it with coupons. You then think you can do the same. Only to find out if you do the couponing it is that price otherwise it cost you 300 dollars. Would you tell everyone you can get a full weeks of groceries at Brookshires for 2 dollars or would you tell them if they coupon they can. It's basically the same thing.
LOL

Paris, TX

#77 Nov 3, 2012
geeze wrote:
<quoted text>
You just don't get it - all I want to know is the price listed on the marquee that everyone can buy it for - not a discount price that if you meet the requiremnets then you get it for a cheaper price. If you best friend is a couponer and states to you I never pay more that 2 dollars for a weeks worth of groceries at Brookshires. She then gave you the list of the items she purchase never mentioning she bought it with coupons. You then think you can do the same. Only to find out if you do the couponing it is that price otherwise it cost you 300 dollars. Would you tell everyone you can get a full weeks of groceries at Brookshires for 2 dollars or would you tell them if they coupon they can. It's basically the same thing.
Everyone can buy Kroger gas 10 cents cheaper than what's on the marquee. I take that into consideration when I buy gas. If the marquee price at the station next door is $3.45, and the Kroger marquee price is $3.50, I'm going to Kroger, because the Kroger gas will cost me $3.40, not $3.50.
Wyatt Earp

Wylie, TX

#78 Nov 3, 2012
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone can buy Kroger gas 10 cents cheaper than what's on the marquee. I take that into consideration when I buy gas. If the marquee price at the station next door is $3.45, and the Kroger marquee price is $3.50, I'm going to Kroger, because the Kroger gas will cost me $3.40, not $3.50.
So, if your car holds 17 gallons, you saved $1.70, I don't think that will buy you a cup of coffee and a donut..
geeze

Paris, TX

#79 Nov 3, 2012
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone can buy Kroger gas 10 cents cheaper than what's on the marquee. I take that into consideration when I buy gas. If the marquee price at the station next door is $3.45, and the Kroger marquee price is $3.50, I'm going to Kroger, because the Kroger gas will cost me $3.40, not $3.50.
Not true - in fact an out and out lie. With the kroger card you can get it 3 cent a gallon cheaper and only 3 cents cheaper. You have to spent 100 dollars inside the store to get it 10 cents per gallon cheaper than the marquee price. Why lie? There is no need to and EVERYONE knows you are lying.
FYI

Paris, TX

#80 Nov 3, 2012
Wyatt Earp wrote:
<quoted text>So, if your car holds 17 gallons, you saved $1.70, I don't think that will buy you a cup of coffee and a donut..
No, but if she fills up two vehicles twice a week like I do, that's $353.60. That'll buy a few dozen donuts and a Starbucks Venti. Anyway, I don't think that's really what the argument was about. I think it was about the price on the sign.
FYI

Paris, TX

#81 Nov 3, 2012
geeze wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true - in fact an out and out lie. With the kroger card you can get it 3 cent a gallon cheaper and only 3 cents cheaper. You have to spent 100 dollars inside the store to get it 10 cents per gallon cheaper than the marquee price. Why lie? There is no need to and EVERYONE knows you are lying.
But can only certain people buy groceries or prescriptions at Kroger? I thought anyone could. If not anyone can, then you are correct, but if anyone can, then anyone can get the gas at 10 cents or more cheaper. Why distort the truth? There is no need to, and EVERYONE knows you are grasping at straws.
geeze

Paris, TX

#82 Nov 3, 2012
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>
But can only certain people buy groceries or prescriptions at Kroger? I thought anyone could. If not anyone can, then you are correct, but if anyone can, then anyone can get the gas at 10 cents or more cheaper. Why distort the truth? There is no need to, and EVERYONE knows you are grasping at straws.
Only if you have the Kroger card and spend 100 dollars which is the whole point ignorant azz. Otherwise you pay marquee price not to mention groceries cost more at Krogers.
Wyatt Earp

Wylie, TX

#83 Nov 4, 2012
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but if she fills up two vehicles twice a week like I do, that's $353.60. That'll buy a few dozen donuts and a Starbucks Venti. Anyway, I don't think that's really what the argument was about. I think it was about the price on the sign.
You need to go to PJC and take a math class..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Most Hated Man in Texas 5 min George Washington 12
Is the house for sale or not? 21 min Vermilion 10
Donald Trump 30 min George Washington 20
Happy Days are Here Again! 3 hr Senior 2
Skipper and David to be removed from the hyster... 8 hr Question 17
24th and Cleveland on Sunday 20 hr you know what you... 26
10 Things You Like, 10 Things You Dislike (Jun '08) 22 hr Evbbhubibuhub ygt f 184
Judge Judy Dead at 68 (Aug '09) Dec 4 good grief 38

Paris Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Paris Mortgages