First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1 Aug 20, 2012
Newsweek Cover: Hit the Road Barack

Sunday, 19 Aug 2012 09:19 PM

Newsweek magazine is targeting its latest controversial cover at the Obama administration. It’s part of a devastating story written by esteemed British historian Niall Ferguson telling President Obama that it’s time to go and that the only team that can possibly turn the country around is the Romney-Ryan ticket.

“In his inaugural address, Obama promised ‘not only to create new jobs, but to lay a new foundation for growth.’” Ferguson writes in the cover story,“Hit the Road, Barack: Why We Need a New President.”

“He promised to ‘build the roads and bridges, the electric grids, and digital lines that feed our commerce and bind us together.’ He promised to ‘restore science to its rightful place and wield technology’s wonders to raise health care’s quality and lower its cost.’” wrote Ferguson, who made some of the same arguments in a March 2012 Newsmax cover story, "Decision Time." “And he promised to ‘transform our schools and colleges and universities to meet the demands of a new age.’ Unfortunately the president’s scorecard on every single one of those bold pledges is pitiful.”

“Welcome to Obama’s America: nearly half the population is not represented on a taxable return—almost exactly the same proportion that lives in a household where at least one member receives some type of government benefit,” Ferguson writes.“We are becoming the 50–50 nation—half of us paying the taxes, the other half receiving the benefits.”

Editor's Note: Will Obama Be Defeated? Vote Here!

In all, it’s an uncharacteristically conservative piece for the magazine, which previously has had cover stories celebrating Obama as “the first gay president” for his stand on gay marriage, and has offered lengthy defenses for another four years. Since Tina Brown's Daily Beast took over Newsweek, which recently said it will soon cease print publication, the magazine has been one of the most left-leaning publications in the country.

© 2012 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Read more on Newsmax.com : Newsweek Cover: Hit the Road Barack
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
OldWhitey

Paris, TX

#2 Aug 20, 2012
6Bid wrote:
Newsweek Cover: Hit the Road Barack
Sunday, 19 Aug 2012 09:19 PM
Newsweek magazine is targeting its latest controversial cover at the Obama administration. It’s part of a devastating story written by esteemed British historian Niall Ferguson telling President Obama that it’s time to go and that the only team that can possibly turn the country around is the Romney-Ryan ticket.
“In his inaugural address, Obama promised ‘not only to create new jobs, but to lay a new foundation for growth.’” Ferguson writes in the cover story,“Hit the Road, Barack: Why We Need a New President.”
“He promised to ‘build the roads and bridges, the electric grids, and digital lines that feed our commerce and bind us together.’ He promised to ‘restore science to its rightful place and wield technology’s wonders to raise health care’s quality and lower its cost.’” wrote Ferguson, who made some of the same arguments in a March 2012 Newsmax cover story, "Decision Time." “And he promised to ‘transform our schools and colleges and universities to meet the demands of a new age.’ Unfortunately the president’s scorecard on every single one of those bold pledges is pitiful.”
“Welcome to Obama’s America: nearly half the population is not represented on a taxable return—almost exactly the same proportion that lives in a household where at least one member receives some type of government benefit,” Ferguson writes.“We are becoming the 50–50 nation—half of us paying the taxes, the other half receiving the benefits.”
Editor's Note: Will Obama Be Defeated? Vote Here!
In all, it’s an uncharacteristically conservative piece for the magazine, which previously has had cover stories celebrating Obama as “the first gay president” for his stand on gay marriage, and has offered lengthy defenses for another four years. Since Tina Brown's Daily Beast took over Newsweek, which recently said it will soon cease print publication, the magazine has been one of the most left-leaning publications in the country.
© 2012 Newsmax. All rights reserved.
Read more on Newsmax.com : Newsweek Cover: Hit the Road Barack
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!
Remarkable. I heard this on the noon news. Wondered if NEWSWEEK loss of readers and subsequent purchase for $1 + assumption of $50 million in liabilities created a change in philosophy? The new owner is also looking to get rid of it. Continued liberal slant to newspapers & magazines is causing a loss of readership. At least they got the story right this time:)
patriot

Paris, TX

#3 Aug 20, 2012
Liberals are starting to see how vulnerable Obama is as just as Obama has thrown people under the bus now his ardent supporters will start to throw Obama under the bus rather than go down with him in November. For Newsweek to do it is really remarkable.

“This too shall pass”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#4 Aug 20, 2012
I looked for a copy of that magazine today but didn't find one.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#5 Aug 22, 2012
Interesting, no liberals have responded to this thread...
OldWhitey

Paris, TX

#6 Aug 27, 2012
6Bid wrote:
Interesting, no liberals have responded to this thread...
They seldom respond to a negative story about another liberal. Notice how they only respond on a negative Repubican or conservative thread. Over and over again. Looks like they believe in keeping thread headlines at the top for negative Republican or conservative only. They don't care about the actual content or rebut to the headline, just that the headline stays at the top...
BBHC

Spring, TX

#7 Aug 27, 2012
There's nothing to respond to. Niall Ferguson is regularly called out by others in his profession for his shoddy work and has been predictably called out on this article, too. He is similar to the non-credentialed David Barton and is only impressive to retail history consumers (think History Channel, Barnes and Noble).
patriot

Paris, TX

#8 Aug 27, 2012
BBHC wrote:
There's nothing to respond to. Niall Ferguson is regularly called out by others in his profession for his shoddy work and has been predictably called out on this article, too. He is similar to the non-credentialed David Barton and is only impressive to retail history consumers (think History Channel, Barnes and Noble).

You can agree or disagree with Ferguson's article in Newsweek but to imply he has no credentials is a little disingenuous.

"Niall Campbell Douglas Ferguson (born 18 April 1964)[1] is a Scottish historian. He is the Laurence A. Tisch Professor of History at Harvard University. He is also a Senior Research Fellow of Jesus College, University of Oxford and a Senior Fellow of the Hoover Institution, Stanford University. His speciality is international history, economic history, particularly hyperinflation and the bond markets, and British and American imperialism.[2]

Ferguson's books include Empire: How Britain Made the Modern World, The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World and Civilization: The West and the Rest, all of which he has presented as Channel 4 television series.

In 2004, he was named as one of the 100 most influential people in the world by Time magazine. Since 2011, he has been a contributing editor for Bloomberg Television and a columnist for Newsweek. As of 2012,[dated info] he is working on the official biography of Henry Kissinger to whom he has been granted unprecedented access.

Ferguson was an advisor to the John McCain U.S. presidential campaign in 2008, and announced his support for Mitt Romney in 2012.

Academic career
1983-1986 M.A. Magdalen College, Oxford
1987–88 Hanseatic Scholar, Hamburg and Berlin
1989–90 Research Fellow, Christ’s College, University of Cambridge
1990–92 Official Fellow and Lecturer, Peterhouse, University of Cambridge
1992–2000 Fellow and Tutor in Modern History, Jesus College, University of Oxford
2000–02 Professor of Political and Financial History, University of Oxford
2002–04 John Herzog Professor in Financial History at Stern School of Business, New York University
2004-continuing Laurence A. Tisch Professor of History, Harvard University and William Ziegler Professor of Business Administration at the Harvard Business School
2010-11 Philippe Roman Chair in History and International Affairs at the London School of Economics, located within LSE IDEAS, beginning in 2010[14]

Ferguson is a Senior Research Fellow of Jesus College, University of Oxford and a Senior Fellow of the Hoover Institution, Stanford University. He is a resident faculty member of the Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies, and an advisory fellow of the Barsanti Military History Center at the University of North Texas.

In May 2010, he announced that Education Secretary Michael Gove in the UK's Conservative/Lib Dem government had invited him to advise on the development of a new history syllabus—"history as a connected narrative"— for schools in England and Wales.[15][16] In June 2011, he joined other academics to set up the New College of the Humanities, a private college in London.[17]

Business career

In 2007, Ferguson was appointed as an Investment Management Consultant by GLG Partners, focusing on geopolitical risk as well as current structural issues in economic behaviour relating to investment decisions.[18] GLG is a UK-based hedge fund management firm headed by Noam Gottesman.[19]
BBHC

Spring, TX

#9 Aug 27, 2012
patriot wrote:
<quoted text>
You can agree or disagree with Ferguson's article in Newsweek but to imply he has no credentials is a little disingenuous.
"Niall Campbell Douglas Ferguson (born 18 April 1964)[1] is a Scottish historian. He is the Laurence A. Tisch Professor of History at Harvard University. He is also a Senior Research Fellow of Jesus College, University of Oxford and a Senior Fellow of the Hoover Institution, Stanford University. His speciality is international history, economic history, particularly hyperinflation and the bond markets, and British and American imperialism.[2]
Ferguson's books include Empire: How Britain Made the Modern World, The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World and Civilization: The West and the Rest, all of which he has presented as Channel 4 television series.
In 2004, he was named as one of the 100 most influential people in the world by Time magazine. Since 2011, he has been a contributing editor for Bloomberg Television and a columnist for Newsweek. As of 2012,[dated info] he is working on the official biography of Henry Kissinger to whom he has been granted unprecedented access.
Ferguson was an advisor to the John McCain U.S. presidential campaign in 2008, and announced his support for Mitt Romney in 2012.
Academic career
1983-1986 M.A. Magdalen College, Oxford
1987–88 Hanseatic Scholar, Hamburg and Berlin
1989–90 Research Fellow, Christ’s College, University of Cambridge
1990–92 Official Fellow and Lecturer, Peterhouse, University of Cambridge
1992–2000 Fellow and Tutor in Modern History, Jesus College, University of Oxford
2000–02 Professor of Political and Financial History, University of Oxford
2002–04 John Herzog Professor in Financial History at Stern School of Business, New York University
2004-continuing Laurence A. Tisch Professor of History, Harvard University and William Ziegler Professor of Business Administration at the Harvard Business School
2010-11 Philippe Roman Chair in History and International Affairs at the London School of Economics, located within LSE IDEAS, beginning in 2010[14]
Ferguson is a Senior Research Fellow of Jesus College, University of Oxford and a Senior Fellow of the Hoover Institution, Stanford University. He is a resident faculty member of the Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies, and an advisory fellow of the Barsanti Military History Center at the University of North Texas.
In May 2010, he announced that Education Secretary Michael Gove in the UK's Conservative/Lib Dem government had invited him to advise on the development of a new history syllabus—"history as a connected narrative"— for schools in England and Wales.[15][16] In June 2011, he joined other academics to set up the New College of the Humanities, a private college in London.[17]
Business career
In 2007, Ferguson was appointed as an Investment Management Consultant by GLG Partners, focusing on geopolitical risk as well as current structural issues in economic behaviour relating to investment decisions.[18] GLG is a UK-based hedge fund management firm headed by Noam Gottesman.[19]
I said David Barton had no credentials.
bigfatidiot

Waseca, MN

#10 Aug 27, 2012
The reason Liberals don't bother to address every Right wing piece of BS is because it is never ending.
Tina Brown herself said that she did not fact check this article and knew that it was full of misinformation. She said it was an opinion piece and should be taken as such. She has come under a lot of criticism for this. So if she wants to ruin her reputation it is her business. Youtube some interviews with her about this article if you don't believe me. Which I don't expect you to do. Nor do I expect any of you to change your minds. You are blinded by some kind of hatred for this president, whatever it may be. When I criticized Bush I was called a traitor and a commie. You criticize Obama and you call yourselves Patriots. How convenient for you. I think I will play by the rules you set for me twelve years ago. I think you are all traitors and commies.
OldWhitey

Paris, TX

#11 Aug 27, 2012
BBHC wrote:
You may have a point since magazines have become so slanted and are seldom written from a neutral prospective.(BTW) notice how I continue to respond to keep this negative liberal topix at the top:) Hopefully someone else will continue this trend. More important topics to post abou the economy, debt, deficits, taxes, national security leaks, Medicare solvency, Obamacare, Social Security solvency, Senate budget (where is it) and, oh yeah, an election...
OldWhitey

Paris, TX

#12 Aug 27, 2012
sorry left off a "t", typo, not spelling!
OldWhitey

Paris, TX

#13 Aug 27, 2012
bigfatidiot wrote:
The reason Liberals don't bother to address every Right wing piece of BS is because it is never ending.
Tina Brown herself said that she did not fact check this article and knew that it was full of misinformation. She said it was an opinion piece and should be taken as such. She has come under a lot of criticism for this. So if she wants to ruin her reputation it is her business. Youtube some interviews with her about this article if you don't believe me. Which I don't expect you to do. Nor do I expect any of you to change your minds. You are blinded by some kind of hatred for this president, whatever it may be. When I criticized Bush I was called a traitor and a commie. You criticize Obama and you call yourselves Patriots. How convenient for you. I think I will play by the rules you set for me twelve years ago. I think you are all traitors and commies.
Thank you for your opinion. For the record, I have never called you a traitor or a commie, I don't hate the President, and I did not call myself a patriot. I am just expressing my opinion and keeping the articles I agree with at the top. Thanks for posting. Keep it up!
patriot

Paris, TX

#14 Aug 27, 2012
OldWhitey wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for your opinion. For the record, I have never called you a traitor or a commie, I don't hate the President, and I did not call myself a patriot. I am just expressing my opinion and keeping the articles I agree with at the top. Thanks for posting. Keep it up!
Good idea.
bigfatidiot

Waseca, MN

#15 Aug 27, 2012
OldWhitey wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for your opinion. For the record, I have never called you a traitor or a commie, I don't hate the President, and I did not call myself a patriot. I am just expressing my opinion and keeping the articles I agree with at the top. Thanks for posting. Keep it up!
No Problem!!
BTT
OldWhitey

Paris, TX

#16 Aug 27, 2012
bigfatidiot wrote:
<quoted text>
No Problem!!
BTT
Ditto!
America can do better

Paris, TX

#17 Aug 27, 2012
Obammy sucks hind teet!
6Bid

Athens, GA

#18 Aug 28, 2012
OldWhitey wrote:
<quoted text>You may have a point since magazines have become so slanted and are seldom written from a neutral prospective.(BTW) notice how I continue to respond to keep this negative liberal topix at the top:) Hopefully someone else will continue this trend. More important topics to post abou the economy, debt, deficits, taxes, national security leaks, Medicare solvency, Obamacare, Social Security solvency, Senate budget (where is it) and, oh yeah, an election...
Well said!
6Bid

Athens, GA

#19 Aug 28, 2012
OldWhitey wrote:
Good idea!
OldWhitey

Paris, TX

#20 Aug 28, 2012
6Bid wrote:
<quoted text>
Good idea!
Thank you. BTT:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Whats The story About the Aircraft on HWY 82 We... (Oct '08) 41 min Truckincold 16
Paul Drake's letter 1 hr The Bonedry 7
Salas Minor emergency? 12 hr New- In Town 1
McKee's 17 hr Sad Shape 9
Little black bugs (Oct '10) 18 hr RCa 12
Prostitution / sugar daddy website 19 hr Duh 10
Dr. Gallan 19 hr Duh 4
Red Holmes new NL Board president 22 hr Hippiechick 38

Paris Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Paris Mortgages