RFP for landfill, trash collection OK'd

RFP for landfill, trash collection OK'd

There are 16 comments on the Paris Texas story from Sep 28, 2010, titled RFP for landfill, trash collection OK'd. In it, Paris Texas reports that:

After ironing out detail points, the Paris City Council Monday approved sending out the Request For Proposal for landfill services and residential trash collection in the city.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Paris Texas.

what

United States

#1 Sep 28, 2010
Here we go again. Our city management team did not like us, the people of paris, when we voted not to privitize trash pickup. so here we go again more of our money for a new election. I say get rid of them all!
Two Kiss

Paris, TX

#2 Sep 29, 2010
This has nothing to do with trash pickup. Go read the Paris News....it's about the landfill contract with Waste Management that is expiring, and the new landfill that is almost complete near Blossom. It may save the people of Paris a lot of money since there is now competition for land fill fees. It could however also lead to revisitig trash collection service down the line. It's all about saving us, the Citizens of Paris, money.
Two Kiss

Paris, TX

#3 Sep 29, 2010
I see after re-reading the heading that is does also now include trash pickup. I'm all for revisiting the trash collection if it saves the Citizens of Paris money, especially if we get the same level of service. Nothing keeps the price down like competition. If the Council finds it will save us money, I would not be opposed to voting on trash collection again, but thats just my opinion.
what

United States

#4 Sep 29, 2010
Two Kiss wrote:
This has nothing to do with trash pickup. Go read the Paris News....it's about the landfill contract with Waste Management that is expiring, and the new landfill that is almost complete near Blossom. It may save the people of Paris a lot of money since there is now competition for land fill fees. It could however also lead to revisitig trash collection service down the line. It's all about saving us, the Citizens of Paris, money.
You are one of those that post and then say to self maybe I should read what it is about before slamming someone. Every time we have a election or vote on something It cost money. Trash collection cost more last time to not privitize than privitize but we elected to save the jobs of our sanitation department! Our city manager and other department heads decided to disregard our vote and try again.more money spent on stupid stuff.Just like the council lisend and now they are fixing the roads around the new high school while school is in session. We reallu need a change in OUR CITY.

Since: Apr 10

Melissa, TX

#5 Sep 29, 2010
When I was sitting at the council meeting on Monday when the mayor opened public forum no one spoke up?? Then someone gets upset with the city for voting?? You probably would made a valid point if you addressed the council and not post some gibberish on Topix
what

United States

#6 Sep 29, 2010
slim1026 wrote:
When I was sitting at the council meeting on Monday when the mayor opened public forum no one spoke up?? Then someone gets upset with the city for voting?? You probably would made a valid point if you addressed the council and not post some gibberish on Topix
Gibberish,hahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahaha, let me get off the ground.The city of Paris texas voted to no send our trash pickup out to commercial pickup, now They, the city manager and his side kick wants to try pull it off again. costing the tax payers more money.When will you learn that he, the city manager aint as smart as he tryes to make us think he is.Pickle is to buisybeing on boards all across the northeasr texas region to properly be our councilman. I say get rid of all of them.Save our money, I do support the new trash dump off of 15100 Just dont know how the other property owners fell.
Ingrid

Paris, TX

#7 Sep 30, 2010
what wrote:
<quoted text>Gibberish,hahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, let me get off the ground.The city of Paris texas voted to no send our trash pickup out to commercial pickup, now They, the city manager and his side kick wants to try pull it off again. costing the tax payers more money.When will you learn that he, the city manager aint as smart as he tryes to make us think he is.Pickle is to buisybeing on boards all across the northeasr texas region to properly be our councilman. I say get rid of all of them.Save our money, I do support the new trash dump off of 15100 Just dont know how the other property owners fell.
Speaking of gibberish ...
what

United States

#8 Oct 1, 2010
Ingrid wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of gibberish ...
It no be gibberish it be fact.
WTFIWWYP

Paris, TX

#9 Oct 1, 2010
What is wrong with trying to save taxpayers a little money. I assure yoy private industry can pick up the trash a heck of a lot more economical than the city can. Government is supposed to serve its citizens but in reality the only people government serves is its employees. They work less than others, in most cases have more benefits and cannot be fired unless they are a total jackass jerk. All government employees are interested in is their pay check, more time off, less to do. Privatize all governmental functions ASAP and see how your taxes and user fees can be decreased and watch your service improve.
Asnine

Mabank, TX

#10 Oct 3, 2010
We voted to save the jobs of a few freaking garbage collectors because we are so thoughtful here in Paris? Bunch of Dumasses - City is still losing money on trash service. You say save our money then you say to keep paying extra for trash collection when we do not need to. And to say the trash guys are great is bogus. One of them bastrds threw away my lid (on my brand new can) last week.
Ingrid

Paris, TX

#11 Oct 3, 2010
WTFIWWYP wrote:
What is wrong with trying to save taxpayers a little money. I assure yoy private industry can pick up the trash a heck of a lot more economical than the city can. Government is supposed to serve its citizens but in reality the only people government serves is its employees. They work less than others, in most cases have more benefits and cannot be fired unless they are a total jackass jerk. All government employees are interested in is their pay check, more time off, less to do. Privatize all governmental functions ASAP and see how your taxes and user fees can be decreased and watch your service improve.
I assume from your post that you have followed each city employee through the course of his job and actually observed what he does each day. Pick just one specific position, please, and give us the details of a one-day shift -- how long he spent on break, whether he took any calls at all -- just what he did. As for the reason most people work, private sector and government both, is for the paycheck. Tell us how much time city employees get off compared to, say, Kimberly-Clark employees. Tell us how much less they do than, say, Wal-Mart employees. And please be specific.
Ingrid

Paris, TX

#12 Oct 3, 2010
Oh, and one more thing -- did you tell Mike Malone and Tony Williams that government employees can't be fired?
what

United States

#13 Oct 4, 2010
Asnine wrote:
We voted to save the jobs of a few freaking garbage collectors because we are so thoughtful here in Paris? Bunch of Dumasses - City is still losing money on trash service. You say save our money then you say to keep paying extra for trash collection when we do not need to. And to say the trash guys are great is bogus. One of them bastrds threw away my lid (on my brand new can) last week.
Funny your trash is suppose to be in bags not cans.no cans no lids to go flying down the street in the wind.Do you know how nuch money is lost every time we have a election?
Asnine

Mabank, TX

#14 Oct 6, 2010
what wrote:
<quoted text>Funny your trash is suppose to be in bags not cans.no cans no lids to go flying down the street in the wind.Do you know how nuch money is lost every time we have a election?
I do not know why we had an election the first time.
Mayor got a city ordinance passed a while back so you can put leaves in a can - you do not have to bag them. Plus the cans keep the occasional stray dog from creating a morning job of picking up trash for me. Funny, you sound like Roy Bunch.
Two Kiss

Paris, TX

#15 Oct 6, 2010
From reading the newspaper, Sounds like the City employees will be given jobs with the new company should the City Council decide private trash collection will save the taxpayer's money.
If Waste Management or some other company can do it for less, I would be for the change if you get the same service for less money. As I recall from previous newspaper articles, most Cities our size and larger are no longer in the trash collection business, so it must make sense to use the competative bidding process to save money. As a general rule, private enterprise is more efficient that a government run business. Just look at UPS vs the post office... one makes money, the other doesn't.
what

United States

#16 Oct 6, 2010
Asnine wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not know why we had an election the first time.
Mayor got a city ordinance passed a while back you can put leaves in a can - you do not have to bag them. Plus the cans keep the occasional stray dog from creating a morning job of picking up trash for me. Funny, you sound like Roy Bunch.
Dont know who Roy is. election is the way we as a group that lives in a city runs our city. Majority rules. The ord that past was to not charge us for more that the number of bags of trash in a given day and to be able to trash can leafes. If one piece of paper is in the can it is garbage, and counts as trash.this ord did not have any thing to do with privatizing garbage pickup.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Deport mayor 13 min Whonose 70
paris news 3 hr WHY 5
nl 7 hr Answer 2
Methodist Church Downtown Wants to Waste $1 Mil... 7 hr Grisham 65
Judge Bill Harris.. Don't know the law!!!! (Apr '12) 9 hr Expectant Mom 130
NL Class of 1982 - 35 Year Reunion 15 hr Jws 3
North Lamar is so [email protected] UP 18 hr inspections 12
Judge Judy Dead at 68 (Aug '09) Aug 17 Vesna 55

Paris Jobs

More from around the web