First Prev
of 2
Next Last
two kiss

Paris, TX

#1 Feb 8, 2011
I have become aware that there are many folks in Paris that go to their doctor and legally get prescriptions for xanax, pain pills, etc, and then sell them on the street. It's a part of their REGULAR monthly income. It seems they know the right symptoms to tell the doctor to get the drug they want. Of course, in some cases, we the taxpayer even pay for the drug thru assistance.
My question to the local medical community is:
Is there some way to random test the person you are prescribing these drugs to, thus allowing you the Doctor to know that they are the ones actually using them? Or, perhaps set up a local drug peddler's hotline (like crime stoppers) where people that you know for a fact are selling their prescriptions can be anonymously reported. Say an agency that will inform the doctor at tip was reported that his patient might be selling his prescription.
I know the local pharmacies exchange info on the internet to prevent people from "doctor shopping" for controlled substances. Since drugs are involved in most crimes, maybe CRIME STOPPERS could somehow curtail the selling of prescrition meds.

ANY COMMENTS FROM THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY OR PHARMACY FOLKS, OR THE PUBLIC?

“Illegitimi non carborundum”

Since: Apr 10

#2 Feb 8, 2011
Who is going to pay for the drug test? As you mentioned the taxpayer may even pay for the drugs through assistance so are we going to bear the brunt of all the costs for drug testing for everyone that gets these prescription. What about the person that is getting these medicines and taking them properly? Is their insurance going to pay or is the taxpayer? What about HIPAA privacy laws? The doctor can't discuss his patients, neither can the pharmacist.

Can't you just contact the police now?
Looking Back

Lewisville, TX

#3 Feb 8, 2011
It is a huge issue where I live. I can't believe the number of kids in my city that have died from OD's of combos of presciption drugs. I have been to meetings and talked to the DEA task force investigators. They claim that they are trying to figure out which doctors and pharmacies are involved. They say there is no way these doctors are not aware of what is going on. I even asked my pharmacist if he knew which doctors write the most scripts for xanax, oxy, etc., and he popped off three names without blinking an eye. This is a middle class-upper middle class problem here.
well

Paris, TX

#4 Feb 8, 2011
The doctor could refuse to prescribe the medicines if his tests showed that the person with an ongoing prescription is not using them. Most doctors already do routine blood tests, so they could probably also have the blood checked for the commonly abused med. while they are at it with minimal additional cost. If the person IS taking them properly then there is no problem. If the doctor sees that their patient is scamming then just cut them off. They may go to a different doctor but if it happened enough then their supply would end thus helping curtail the illegal sales.

#5 Feb 8, 2011
The Center for Prevention and counseling states "Around 30 million prescriptions for generic drug Xanax, are written each year." and "Due to Xanax's (generic alprazolam) ability to quickly leave the blood stream, traditional drug tests cannot detect drug Xanax intake." http://www.centerforprevention.org/prescripti...

For each blood test performed, you, the taxpayer or your insurance pays for those tests. I doesn't matter if you're having a blood test at the time for something else, the cost is still incurred for the drug test. Since Xanex requires a non traditional test, I'd be willing to bet the cost for that test would be higher than a standard test.
two kiss

Paris, TX

#6 Feb 8, 2011
I actually think that I recall reading somewhere that there is some legislation being proposed that would require people who receive these types of drugs to be tested once a year. Anyone else read this?

I also know for a fact that there is a clinic in Hugo that you or I could go to, without an appointment, and if we say the right symptoms, we could have a xanax prescription today. Anyone else know about this place? It just shows how easy it is to get the stuff.
Wondering

Paris, TX

#7 Feb 8, 2011
two kiss wrote:
I have become aware that there are many folks in Paris that go to their doctor and legally get prescriptions for xanax, pain pills, etc, and then sell them on the street. It's a part of their REGULAR monthly income. It seems they know the right symptoms to tell the doctor to get the drug they want. Of course, in some cases, we the taxpayer even pay for the drug thru assistance.
Is there some way to random test the person you are prescribing these drugs to, thus allowing you the Doctor to know that they are the ones actually using them? Or, perhaps set up a local drug peddler's hotline (like crime stoppers) where people that you know for a fact are selling their prescriptions can be anonymously reported. Say an agency that will inform the doctor at tip was reported that his patient might be selling his prescription.
I know the local pharmacies exchange info on the internet to prevent people from "doctor shopping" for controlled substances. Since drugs are involved in most crimes, maybe CRIME STOPPERS could somehow curtail the selling of prescrition meds.
If you are aware of these transactions going on, why haven't you reported them to the authorities?
consider

Paris, TX

#8 Feb 8, 2011
if you have the details of this happening call crimestoppers and report it, an investigation will be done.
anon

United States

#9 Feb 8, 2011
two kiss wrote:
What kinds of crimes are these particular drugs involved in? I believe the tranquilizers make you more tranquil, same for pain pills and sleeping pills. And if they are buying them from someone with a prescription, then they aren't stealing them. Just curious.
Gomer

Paris, TX

#10 Feb 8, 2011
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
What kinds of crimes are these particular drugs involved in? I believe the tranquilizers make you more tranquil, same for pain pills and sleeping pills. And if they are buying them from someone with a prescription, then they aren't stealing them. Just curious.
It's illegal to possess the drugs without a legal prescription. It kind of throws up a red flag if the law finds your pills in a canister or zip loc bag.

Since: Mar 10

Brenham, TX

#11 Feb 8, 2011
It is a felony to possess or consume any prescription drug for which you do not have a prescription.
faceless

Dallas, TX

#12 Feb 8, 2011
Normal testing for drugs is done through urine. A good test for what you are talking about would be hair.

#13 Feb 8, 2011
faceless wrote:
Normal testing for drugs is done through urine. A good test for what you are talking about would be hair.
I agree that a hair test would give a complete history and is very accurate. Again for me it all boils down to cost. The hair strand is more expensive isn't it? Who bears the cost?
cash

Clarksville, TX

#14 Feb 8, 2011
DazzleDat wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that a hair test would give a complete history and is very accurate. Again for me it all boils down to cost. The hair strand is more expensive isn't it? Who bears the cost?
i will
justanothegal

Paris, TX

#15 Feb 8, 2011
A simple urine test will test for xanax and hydrocodone and oxy... employers use them all the time and they are not that expensive. But the downfall to the strict rules you are talking about will hurt the people who truly need the medications and are not abusing. Furthermore who is to say that the people who are selling it are also using it???? Which is prob the case, they need the extra money to keep themselves in it. Family members have also been known to take these drugs and sell them.

#16 Feb 8, 2011
justanothegal wrote:
A simple urine test will test for xanax and hydrocodone and oxy... employers use them all the time and they are not that expensive. But the downfall to the strict rules you are talking about will hurt the people who truly need the medications and are not abusing. Furthermore who is to say that the people who are selling it are also using it???? Which is prob the case, they need the extra money to keep themselves in it. Family members have also been known to take these drugs and sell them.
I agree that the cost isn't that much for employers. Usually around $ 25.00 per test. But at 30 million xanex prescriptions alone even if the cost was 50 cents that would be a large expenditure especially when you add in all the other drug prescriptions that would have to fall under a testing scenario such as suggested.
Pharmacy

Paris, TX

#17 Feb 8, 2011
DazzleDat wrote:
Who is going to pay for the drug test? As you mentioned the taxpayer may even pay for the drugs through assistance so are we going to bear the brunt of all the costs for drug testing for everyone that gets these prescription. What about the person that is getting these medicines and taking them properly? Is their insurance going to pay or is the taxpayer? What about HIPAA privacy laws? The doctor can't discuss his patients, neither can the pharmacist.
Can't you just contact the police now?
Doctors and pharmacies can discuss their patients with each other without violating HIPAA laws.
tired of it

Waynesville, NC

#19 Oct 5, 2012
This is an old post but nontheless still an issue COUNTRY WIDE! It makes me SICK these people do this.I cannot even get the pain medication I NEED after SURGERY because of people like that! They prey on the innocent and convince doctors they need the medicines! It's gross,and what goes around.. COMES AROUND.I had a friend's son DIE recently because of a methadone OVERDOSE that wasn't his meds! It was his neighbors.Guess what? THE NEIGHBOR NEVER WENT TO JAIL,and a 23 year old married KID IS DEAD.
really

Paris, TX

#20 Oct 5, 2012
tired of it wrote:
This is an old post but nontheless still an issue COUNTRY WIDE! It makes me SICK these people do this.I cannot even get the pain medication I NEED after SURGERY because of people like that! They prey on the innocent and convince doctors they need the medicines! It's gross,and what goes around.. COMES AROUND.I had a friend's son DIE recently because of a methadone OVERDOSE that wasn't his meds! It was his neighbors.Guess what? THE NEIGHBOR NEVER WENT TO JAIL,and a 23 year old married KID IS DEAD.
You are right. I've seen it too many times. Someone really needs pain meds for legitimate pain but can't get them because the doctor has been burned too many times by those who abuse, sell, don't need them. At pain mgmt clinics the patients sign a contract that they will not get pain meds/Xanax from another doctor or er for the reason they are being treated at pain mgmt. If the pt goes to er or another doctor for same complaint, they violate the contract and can be fired from pain mgmt. The pain clinics require the pt come in usually every 3 months for refill rx's and are urine drug screened on these 3 month visits. They can't have any drugs in their system that they aren't getting from pain mgmt and must test positive for the drugs they are receiving. Then they get rx for 3 months and so on. But what abusers do is sell most of the meds but keep a few tablets and 2 or 3 days before they go back in for refills they begin talking the meds so it will show up in the drug screen, get their refills and it starts all over again. The pain mgmt clinics try to prevent abuse but no system is fool proof
sonrisa

United States

#21 Jul 1, 2013
You can't report them because the police or whoever you report it to will tell them who you are and they will hurt you or your family. The police don't care if something happens to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ebola Or Isis? 34 min Anonymous 17
Mylie Cyrus should not have rubbed Mexican Flag... 56 min swimmer 2
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 1 hr Waco 22,614
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Defiant1 18,496
Play Chain Reaction (Oct '09) 1 hr Vector aka Victor... 6,370
Pakistan court to try Musharraf alleged illegal... 1 hr Just Get It Right 10
Skinner officials: Best part of acquiring Sara ... (Nov '13) 2 hr Federal Law 46
Why PEDC 2 hr Latrodectus Hespe... 14
Details about city council meeting you won't se... 5 hr EASY MONEY 68
No hope for Paris 7 hr Poor Schlub 47
Rickey Hayes,says Defenbaugh made "false, defam... 7 hr Preston 69
Should PEDC be shut down Fri Raymond 42
•••

Paris News Video

•••
•••

Paris Jobs

•••
•••