thinking about moving to paris

Posted in the Paris Forum

Friendly Neighbor

Brownsville, TN

#1 May 22, 2012
My husband and I are wanting to relocate to a different area to start fresh in a new town. Is Paris is good place to relocate? How are the schools? And how do people act toward new people that are not from there? Thanks. Also, if you know of anything for rent please let me know and of any jobs. I have 9 years experience in the legal field and my husband has Big tire experience and factory experience.
boy ol boy

Sachse, TX

#2 May 22, 2012
Don't do it this play is crazy just look at the topics
flippo

United States

#3 May 22, 2012
you will hate it here. Go anywhere but here. After about two months of living here you will want to slit your throat.

if you're an outsider you will be hated, you have to be family all the way around.
Just my thought

United States

#4 May 23, 2012
I decided to wait until some had posted before I said anything.

Paris is a good place to live and those who say not would probably say that about any place they live.

I have checked many topix sites in TN and KY and I have found people trashing their towns... some worse that some do here. Some towns that you might think are the cream of the crop get some real bad comments. It is always a personal choice.

There is good and bad with any place you live. The best way for you to decide is to pick 2-3 towns you like on the front and then go visit each. If you are serious about moving I would spend at least two days in each town and drive around. Visit the hospitals, chamber, city hall and their civic centers, the public pool and check on local attractions, restaurants, shopping etc.

Decide what you are wanting and looking for before you go. Make a list and check thing off as you go to each town. Each town will be different, but consider the overall feeling you get.

Again, if you are serious and have the time and extra money I would do this... if none of the three you pick fit your needs then keep looking.

I am not going to list good and bad points about Paris, because I could do the same with every town in West. TN and KY.

I like Paris and I plan to stay.
Dr Phil

Bristol, VA

#5 May 23, 2012
Friendly Neighbor wrote:
My husband and I are wanting to relocate to a different area to start fresh in a new town. Is Paris is good place to relocate? How are the schools? And how do people act toward new people that are not from there? Thanks. Also, if you know of anything for rent please let me know and of any jobs. I have 9 years experience in the legal field and my husband has Big tire experience and factory experience.
As with any small town it has its ups dna downs. The small town politics apply as usual so as long as you plan to move to an area, and can avoid allowing the political attributes get to you then you will be fine. Just come and go and be careful who all you intertwine with here. There are many good folks and just as many bad. Everyone wants to know you're business and the less you reveal the better. I live here, my kids go to school here but I shop and work outside of Henry County. I would move out by the lake somewhere if I were you. Lakewood is an awesome school and it is peaceful in the country. Stay as far away from the city as possible in terms of finding a place of residence.
GalFromTn

United States

#6 May 23, 2012
No jobs, retirement town. Nothing fun to do except the lake in the summer or the many run down bars. However, it is a quiet town for the most part. We moved to Fort Walton Beach, Florida 2 years ago after living in Paris for over 20 years and we love it here. Nice town, lots of jobs, amazing beach, lots of things to do, and the best part......no freezing temps!

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#7 Jun 6, 2012
If you like pulling weapons out of your back and your child or children can say no to alcohol / drugs and stay away from gangs it would be a great place to live.
Answer you did not want

United States

#8 Jun 6, 2012
Whistling Dixie Dude wrote:
If you like pulling weapons out of your back and your child or children can say no to alcohol / drugs and stay away from gangs it would be a great place to live.
Good parents will do 90% of keeping their kids on the right path and what is with "pulling weapons out of your back." This make no sense... I have never had a weapon pulled on me.

Paris is a good town... but it's like anytown it's what you make it. Paris is not right for everyone so do your research.

However... I like it and it has most everything I want or need.
lucy

Houston, TX

#9 Jun 6, 2012
if anyone moves here, you are just dumb. This is the center of hell.
facts

Paris, TN

#11 Jun 7, 2012
1. The whole town is run on a ole boy network. If your not in it you have no legal recourse to anything that happens to you or your children.

2. Schools have a no defend policy, meaning if a bully harasses your child and they defend, not throw the first hit, but defend after being hit they get in trouble as well.

3. The schools and entire town have rules for one class and different for the rich and political class.

4. There is lots of thefts.

5. The public officials are corrupt. read comptrollers report of DA and Sheriffs misappropriation of seized items, and the previous sheriff did same and went to jail for several years.
http://www.comptroller1.state.tn.us/repositor...

5. There are limited jobs for children and no recreational activities unless fishing and hunting are their thing.

6. People are nice to your face and vicious when you turn around, they will know your medical, financial situation, since everyone is related or friends with everyone else and gossip is the rule not the exception here.

7. The children mimic their parents and are very clickish, and social circles can be harsh.

8. The schools have to have drug dogs on site, though it is technically illegal, even elementary, and let the youngest children pet them..again wrong.

9. The 9th grade school had to hire a full time police officer to be on site at all times.

10. Civil rights are a myth in paris.

11. Customer service as you probably know it, if your from a larger town/city, will be non existent. Fast food places, dont dine in, or you will never be able to face it again, they are filthy, though there are about three that are not, McDonald, wendys arbys and burger king are cleanest, taco bell and kfc are just nasty inside. Though never leave drive thru without opening every item to make sure its correct.

12. Careful where you buy a place, lakewood k-8 is a great school, harrelson is not.

13. Make sure you are in charter's service area, if you need internet, avoid Beasley's as per my experience it is down more than up, and satellite is way to expensive. Those are basically the only three options unless you want dial up or have Verizon.

14. Verizon is just about the only phone that works here, had sprint but it was outside service area so had to cancel contract.

15. Shopping is limited to a clothing store called Burkes, Pebbles (expensive), Cato, and Walmart.
There is one used book store, library small but nice. Nice enough discount shoe store called Guinns.

16. If you are not in the "network" mentioned above, incredibly rich and willing to show it, or 65 and over you get treated with no respect.

I think thats about it. This is a hard place for children. The high school doesnt teach real life, or how to deal with college.
There is no real GANG activity here, though the people here seem to think so, remember they are a few years behind rest of the world and the powers that be must make it sound and look like they are doing something. There is a high rate of alcoholism, and drugs mostly marijuana and from the paper some meth being circulated around. Theft is a big issue since jobs are scarce.

But if you can afford a place away from people, like to hunt and fish, swim, enjoy the nature here, it isnt so bad, just remember, when that nice old lady wants to see your house, or chats you up, put on your best face, because soon as you turn around she is going to tell everyone and the story will change with each telling, the older ones are the most vicious.

Be willing to drive minimum of 1 hr 30 mins to get anywhere with decent food, entertainment, shopping. Two plus hr is you want real civilization.

PAris is a nice place to retire if you can handle putting up a front when you leave the house and you child is thick skinned. Or have enough money to join the local privileged population then it is a great, awesome place to live. Good luck.
Answer you did not want

United States

#12 Jun 7, 2012
facts wrote:
1. The whole town is run on a ole boy network. If your not in it you have no legal recourse to anything that happens to you or your children.
2. Schools have a no defend policy, meaning if a bully harasses your child and they defend, not throw the first hit, but defend after being hit they get in trouble as well.
3. The schools and entire town have rules for one class and different for the rich and political class.
4. There is lots of thefts.
5. The public officials are corrupt. read comptrollers report of DA and Sheriffs misappropriation of seized items, and the previous sheriff did same and went to jail for several years.
http://www.comptroller1.state.tn.us/repositor...
5. There are limited jobs for children and no recreational activities unless fishing and hunting are their thing.
6. People are nice to your face and vicious when you turn around, they will know your medical, financial situation, since everyone is related or friends with everyone else and gossip is the rule not the exception here.
7. The children mimic their parents and are very clickish, and social circles can be harsh.
8. The schools have to have drug dogs on site, though it is technically illegal, even elementary, and let the youngest children pet them..again wrong.
9. The 9th grade school had to hire a full time police officer to be on site at all times.
10. Civil rights are a myth in paris.
11. Customer service as you probably know it, if your from a larger town/city, will be non existent. Fast food places, dont dine in, or you will never be able to face it again, they are filthy, though there are about three that are not, McDonald, wendys arbys and burger king are cleanest, taco bell and kfc are just nasty inside. Though never leave drive thru without opening every item to make sure its correct.
12. Careful where you buy a place, lakewood k-8 is a great school, harrelson is not.
13. Make sure you are in charter's service area, if you need internet, avoid Beasley's as per my experience it is down more than up, and satellite is way to expensive. Those are basically the only three options unless you want dial up or have Verizon.
14. Verizon is just about the only phone that works here, had sprint but it was outside service area so had to cancel contract.
15. Shopping is limited to a clothing store called Burkes, Pebbles (expensive), Cato, and Walmart.
There is one used book store, library small but nice. Nice enough discount shoe store called Guinns.
16. If you are not in the "network" mentioned above, incredibly rich and willing to show it, or 65 and over you get treated with no respect.
I think thats about it. This is a hard place for children. The high school doesnt teach real life, or how to deal with college.
There is no real GANG activity here, though the people here seem to think so, remember they are a few years behind rest of the world and the powers that be must make it sound and look like they are doing something. There is a high rate of alcoholism, and drugs mostly marijuana and from the paper some meth being circulated around. Theft is a big issue since jobs are scarce.
But if you can afford a place away from people, like to hunt and fish, swim, enjoy the nature here, it isnt so bad, just remember, when that nice old lady wants to see your house, or chats you up, put on your best face, because soon as you turn around she is going to tell everyone and the story will change with each telling, the older ones are the most vicious.
Be willing to drive minimum of 1 hr 30 mins to get anywhere with decent food, entertainment, shopping. Two plus hr is you want real civilization.
PAris is a nice place to retire if you can handle putting up a front when you leave the house and you child is thick skinned. Or have enough money to join the local privileged population then it is a great, awesome place to live. Good luck.
I think you should move... anywhere. Goodbye!!!
Answer you did not want

United States

#13 Jun 7, 2012
To "Fact" I think you should move if this is your opinion... Goodbye!!!
Answer you did not want

United States

#14 Jun 7, 2012
lucy wrote:
if anyone moves here, you are just dumb. This is the center of hell.
You too are and idiot... move!!!
Answer you did not want

United States

#15 Jun 7, 2012
Sorry can't spell... should be "You too are an idiot."
jim

Houston, TX

#16 Jun 7, 2012
Answer you did not want wrote:
Sorry can't spell... should be "You too are an idiot."
u must be a part of that circle the other poster was talking about.
facts

Paris, TN

#17 Jun 8, 2012
Why should I move? Because I state the harsh realities of this community?
It is not all bad.
It is not ideal for children.
It is however, ideal if you enjoy fishing, camping, boating and can keep to yourself in most things. I enjoy all the above.
I retired here, I am a land owner. I have no debt I own everything outright.
I pay taxes, support the PDA, and other activities within the community.
I also dislike the drama and backstabbing that goes on within this community.
I also do my banking and medical outside the community, after another person in medical field was telling me about their "patients" and another gossiped to me about someones banking habits.
It appears to be a friendly Mayberry type of community until you have stayed here for awhile.
I bought land, built a nice house, and love the lake view. Why should I move? Just because you don't like what I have to say? Guess you and yours do not want my money, though you sure try to take it and/or steal it....lol.

Oh to the one that wants to move here, if you enjoy the above things and can keep your own counsel it really isn't too bad, but for the children, it is not ideal. For retirees it is excellent, has great extended care places, hospice, activities for aging seniors and several community programs to volunteer at so that you have something to keep you busy in the off season.
If you can manage to infiltrate the good ole boy network your life will be easy sailing and your financial situation will increase exponentially.
Read the Paris Post-Intelligencer and you will see all the focus on drug users and thefts. Some even break in the house while you are asleep.

Also, to "Answers you did not want" Exactly how am I an idiot? Seems to me an idiot is the person that can't accept or create a valid argument and resorts to name calling. I can provide links to validate anything I say or "type", without resorting to belittling someone because I do not agree with them. I do not expect everyone to agree with me or my experiences. However, I do have the right to voice them, as do you. It is up to the reader to decide which has more merit. Good day.
Answer you did not want

United States

#18 Jun 8, 2012
Maybe an idiot was a little to much... however, maybe you should do something to make things better than getting on this site and going on a rant about everthing that is bad or things you don't approve of.

Your money... you said you don't even bank here?
The hospital and medical services are better than many... people talk, but you should go to their boss... it can be handled!!!

You did say some good things, but why not work to improve the things you don't like. Just think if you could correct all the things you don't like... it would be a better comminity for all.

I may have more on this later... I don't think this is over.
PARISite

Paris, TN

#19 Jul 4, 2012
Not a bad place to live in. We live and breath BIG RED FOOTBALL. I for one think we have an awesome Sheriff. Just like any other town, it has its good and bad points. You may look at Camden. Its a pretty good place too.
BRZ

United States

#20 Jul 4, 2012
PARISite wrote:
Not a bad place to live in. We live and breath BIG RED FOOTBALL. I for one think we have an awesome Sheriff. Just like any other town, it has its good and bad points. You may look at Camden. Its a pretty good place too.
Please stop sniffing the gas jug.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Land clearing on East Wood St. 2 hr consider the poss... 6
Name 3 new restaurant ideas 2 hr consider the poss... 15
Guy and Joyce Biggs (May '14) 3 hr Dennis Wilson 34
Joe & jerrys 12 hr StacyBSucks 19
Snitches 20 hr sak 15
Dylan Mcnutt Tue xunt 6
John Ramon/Samantha Frisch Tue Andrea 40
More from around the web

Paris People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE