Circus Atmosphere at the Courthouse-You're all making it worse!

Posted in the Paris Forum

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
westering

Terre Haute, IN

#1 Jul 1, 2011
I will start off by saying that I am a Terry supporter. I believe he will get his day in court and that, for whatever reason, he snapped the night his mother was killed.

I want to address the people who hang out at the courthouse for Terry's appearances. You are NOT helping Terry at all by getting into shouting matches nor by waving a Bible in the faces of the crowd.

You have all turned this into a circus. I'm asking you to speak with some dignity to the press and to one another. If you're going to go to court, have some respect and show up in decent clothes, keep your mouth shut in the courtroom and don't grandstand outside of the courtroom.

This is serious business. This is going to decide the fate of a young man who obviously has gone through some really bad situations.

Don't make it worse for Terry! Don't make it worse for Terry!
DUCT MAN

Terre Haute, IN

#2 Jul 1, 2011
westering wrote:
I will start off by saying that I am a Terry supporter. I believe he will get his day in court and that, for whatever reason, he snapped the night his mother was killed.
I want to address the people who hang out at the courthouse for Terry's appearances. You are NOT helping Terry at all by getting into shouting matches nor by waving a Bible in the faces of the crowd.
You have all turned this into a circus. I'm asking you to speak with some dignity to the press and to one another. If you're going to go to court, have some respect and show up in decent clothes, keep your mouth shut in the courtroom and don't grandstand outside of the courtroom.
This is serious business. This is going to decide the fate of a young man who obviously has gone through some really bad situations.
Might want to pay attention to this post!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
I Agree

Paris, IL

#3 Jul 1, 2011
westering wrote:
Hit the nail on the head.
Eyes and Ears

Terre Haute, IN

#4 Jul 1, 2011
westering wrote:
This post has so much truth to it. Not only do you make yourselves look REALLY bad (and ignorant), you are actually tainting potential jury pools.

Most of the people of Paris will see these rowdy, mouthy teenagers on the evening news, and associate that with Terry. Then if they are selected from the jury pool to decide his fate, they are going to have that in the back of their mind. Threatening the safety of a family member of a murdered woman, on the courthouse lawn, will only hurt his chances of receiving any leniency from the public or the court.

It's ok to support him and be there for him....but act like ADULTS, and act like you have some brains in your head.
Westering

Paris, IL

#5 Jul 1, 2011
I wasn't just talking about the kids. The family members share the blame. Yelling at the kids and waving a Bible at them....its shameful. All of it is shameful.

Excellent point about tainting the jury pool! We so seldom have a chance to prove ourselves a decent community. This is our opportunity to do right by Terry.
yeah

Prairieton, IN

#6 Jul 1, 2011
that was the same thing I said when I watched the news!
l o l

Brazil, IN

#7 Jul 1, 2011
Reminds me of a Frankenstien movie,
Westering

Paris, IL

#8 Jul 1, 2011
Reminds me of Jerry Springer.
l o l

Brazil, IN

#9 Jul 1, 2011
Springer does Paris Live!!!!!
Anonymous

AOL

#10 Jul 1, 2011
westering wrote:
Thank you for your advice. The Bible that you saw me waving outside the court room belonged to my nephew Terry. I had hoped to have a chance to give it to him but the opportunity did not come up. I was waving it at the hecklers because their was a picture of my sister & Terry in the Bible that clearly showed their
love for eachother.
I am not sure if you are talking about the Terry supporters or me concerning our attire since we all looked pretty tacky. Had only gotten to Paris a few hours before court & had no sleep the night before.... at Kathie's finishing up details involving her apartment & packing that morning with no air conditioner since we had taken it home the day or two before. Others are telling me it didn't matter what people think of me but I feel that I owe the public an apology for coming to court that way because they may hold Kathie responsible for the inappropiate way I was dressed. Some people have tried Kathie during this nightmare.....I certainly want to do every thing & anything I can to represent her respectfully. PLease accept my apology & don't think less of Kathie because me. I will be in court Tuesday in proper attire. Thanks again for your advice. I understand exactly what you meant & a not offended in the least...just concerned & want to do the right thing. God Bless You;)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Watching

Terre Haute, IN

#11 Jul 1, 2011
Reminds me of the Board trial. Worked for them.
tellin u

Terre Haute, IN

#12 Jul 1, 2011
millbur2 wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for your advice. The Bible that you saw me waving outside the court room belonged to my nephew Terry. I had hoped to have a chance to give it to him but the opportunity did not come up. I was waving it at the hecklers because their was a picture of my sister & Terry in the Bible that clearly showed their
love for eachother.
I am not sure if you are talking about the Terry supporters or me concerning our attire since we all looked pretty tacky. Had only gotten to Paris a few hours before court & had no sleep the night before.... at Kathie's finishing up details involving her apartment & packing that morning with no air conditioner since we had taken it home the day or two before. Others are telling me it didn't matter what people think of me but I feel that I owe the public an apology for coming to court that way because they may hold Kathie responsible for the inappropiate way I was dressed. Some people have tried Kathie during this nightmare.....I certainly want to do every thing & anything I can to represent her respectfully. PLease accept my apology & don't think less of Kathie because me. I will be in court Tuesday in proper attire. Thanks again for your advice. I understand exactly what you meant & a not offended in the least...just concerned & want to do the right thing. God Bless You;)
then shut up all you doin is keepin it going!ifit was my faimly i would of never been on here
Can not Wait

Terre Haute, IN

#13 Jul 1, 2011
millbur2 wrote:
<quoted text>I had hoped to have a chance to give it to him but the opportunity did not come up. I was waving it at the hecklers because their was a picture of my sister & Terry in the Bible that clearly showed their love for each other.
I can't wait until I see you next, your nose must be quite long by now from all your lies Pinocchio
westering

Terre Haute, IN

#14 Jul 1, 2011
Millbur2, I appreciate your response. I personally would not think less of Kathie because of something you did or didn't do.

What I do know, though, from years and years of experience is that children coming from abusive homes DO love their abusive parents. Children are often the ones who stand up for their abusive parents and often turn into the de facto parent of their own parent.

I have seen it hundreds of times. One girl begged to stay with the mother who was mentally ill, berated and smacked her around because she said her mother needed her.

Another set of four siblings wanted to stay with their mother even though she was the one who knew her husband was molesting all of them and even held two of them down while the stepfather raped them.

I have no doubt that Terry loved his mom. I have no doubt that he felt responsible for her alcohol abuse. I have no doubt that he tried to take care of her. He, after all, was the reason that she got aid (ie, their apartment). I have no doubt that there are post it notes all over that read, "I love you." "Lock the door", etc, because that is what abusers do. Its the guilt complex that is so strong they need physical reminders around to see and to make it seem like everything it okay.

Terry went around to the neighbors asking them if he could do anything for them. He was begging for positive attention from an adult. Someone to tell him that his life meant something and that he was a good kid.

I am truly sorry for what happened in your family, but it really is just classic abused/abuser behavior. I wish I had known them. I wish I could have helped.

Since: Jul 10

United States

#15 Jul 1, 2011
what started out as a serious request not to make this a circus has turned into just that. Stop the name calling and grow up, a young man is in serious trouble and needs support not a zoo surrounding him
westering

Terre Haute, IN

#16 Jul 1, 2011
I know that many of the kids, friends of Terry's are passionate, young and headstrong. I really admire that, but please refrain from name-calling and threats. Try to use this opportunity to rise above that and discuss this rationally.
really

Crown Point, IN

#17 Jul 1, 2011
Watching wrote:
Reminds me of the Board trial. Worked for them.
And you bring that up into this when it's been over 10 years? Whatever opinion you or anyone else has of a defendant on trial is irrelevant. The relevant face is that 12 people are to UNANIMOUSLY decide if beyond a resonable doubt the evidence presented shows the accused did what they are on trial for doing. If any doubt, however small is present, then the jury will either become hung or vote not guilty. Just because you have some preconcieved notion of them doesn't matter. And I doubt they would put someone of your caliber on any jury...that is unless you purjure yourself.

Terry is entitled to a fair trial. At least respect the rights that are given to everyone citizen of this country. His lawyer should request a change of venue just because of opinions like yours.
Anonymous

AOL

#18 Jul 2, 2011
Westering wrote:
I wasn't just talking about the kids. The family members share the blame. Yelling at the kids and waving a Bible at them....its shameful. All of it is shameful.
Excellent point about tainting the jury pool! We so seldom have a chance to prove ourselves a decent community. This is our opportunity to do right by Terry.
You keep talking about me waving Terry's Bible around at the court house...you were there & know perfectly well that I was showing a picture of Kathie & Terry that was taped in side the Bible. A picture is worth a a thousand words & you will be seeing more of them in the near future. I may bring my own Bible on Tuesday. Maybe you parents out here that are supporting murder should pick the Bible up & read it. THOU SHALT NOT KILL! I realise our society has changed & God's standards mean nothing now but had no idea things had gotten this far out of hand.
The Bible says there will come a day when evil will be called good & good will be called evil. Well that day is here.....I had the audacity to wave a Bible around in public! I should be ashamed! My LOrd do you realise what you said? Wake up Wake-up
westering

Terre Haute, IN

#19 Jul 2, 2011
I only meant that the behavior, in this kind of atmosphere is shameful. The yelling back and forth, etc. The photographs are only really proof of a good day in the lives of Kathie and Terry.

I don't think that Terry should get a slap on the wrist for killing his mom, but I do think that if the evidence is there and presented correctly, it should not be Murder 1.

I was not outside the courthouse when your confrontation with the crowd happened. I was inside, upstairs.
thats right!

Oswego, IL

#20 Jul 2, 2011
really wrote:
<quoted text>And you bring that up into this when it's been over 10 years? Whatever opinion you or anyone else has of a defendant on trial is irrelevant. The relevant face is that 12 people are to UNANIMOUSLY decide if beyond a resonable doubt the evidence presented shows the accused did what they are on trial for doing. If any doubt, however small is present, then the jury will either become hung or vote not guilty. Just because you have some preconcieved notion of them doesn't matter. And I doubt they would put someone of your caliber on any jury...that is unless you purjure yourself.

Terry is entitled to a fair trial. At least respect the rights that are given to everyone citizen of this country. His lawyer should request a change of venue just because of opinions like yours.
I said the same thing about a change in venue. I don't think he stands a chance in an Edgar county for a fair trial.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chicago hates free speach has posts removed 9 hr porkstikher 26
Tom Dolan needs to make a video of his life 12 hr trash talker 38
Citizen s Arrest! Citizen s Arrest! Thu lolroflmfaohaha 17
The Son of God Oct 29 Islam is like the... 3
Knottsberry Farm Oct 29 Buddy 3
Gay kid,Josh Newman Oct 29 Gay Mann 9
edgar county dispatcher Oct 29 Mr Man 45

Freeze Warning for Edgar County was issued at November 01 at 3:00AM CDT

Paris Dating
Find my Match