United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

Just wanted to pass along some info on something I saw Friday night. My family and I went to watch the Paris City League Basketball games on Friday night at the high school because I have a child who will be basketball age next year. We could not believe the actions of referee Brooks Wilson during the last game. He tried to get into the stands and throw someone out and then was cursing loud enough for all to hear. The rest of the game he was very obviously biased against the team he had a problem with and really did a terrible job. After the game he tried to pick a fight with other fans in the crowd. WHAT A TERRIBLE EXAMPLE HE IS FOR YOUNG PLAYERS. After asking some questions I have found out that his parents run the league, he has a criminal record and is obviously out of control. It is really hard to understand why he is allowed to do these things with kids involved. After watching his actions I think we will look into the Terre Haute Boys Club or other options for next year. What a terrible example of sportsmanship for young kids to see.
5th grade parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

I was also at that game. My son was playing in the championship game also. It is a shame that the incident happened but it did because of some profanity comments being made by a couple of fans. I have attended games for the past two years and even before that with my other son and the Tigers fans have always been more rowdy and vocal than others. To my understanding some of this problem was solved last year when one of the refs ejected one of the fans that was mouthing from the game and then I later found out that he was prohibited from attending games. I and several others were surpised when we saw him there.
He is an official and if you were around at the end of the game one of the coaches made a comment that an official is only correct 50% of the time.
I have had conversations with his mother about the coach of the Tigers team and why her husband keeps him. Generally she has defended him and says his behavior is actually better since his helper was ejected.
Hasn't this been a team that the coaches have been hated for many years? In fact some of our "older" friends say that this coach was thrown out from the league before.
Back to the sunject of the official, I have known of the boy for years and he did make some mistakes but he appears to have learned some lessons the hard way. I am glad that he has grown up and I wouldn't want to be an official for any reason. When my child has played that official tells him what he has done wrong and how to fix it.
That Coach made reference that he is now done and after everything I have heard I say Good. He is anther poor example of sportsmanship
Move On

Woodland, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

Anyone who was there knows that the abusive comments and actions of a few Tigers fans are what caused the problem. They should have been ejected. There is no room for that kind of behavior in sports activities, period. The refs do the best they can and they are going to miss stuff but they are not supermen, they are only human just like you and me. As far as being bias for the rest of the game it appeared to me that the calls got more favorable for the Tigers. So see what I mean, it depends on who's eyes you are looking through. If you go to Terre Haute you will run into the same things and you were not much of a suppoter of Paris anyway so have at it.
Mr Basketball

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

I was at the Friday games and was setting close enough to hear what was going on. First of all the guy getting the blame for yelling at the ref wasn't even the person who made a comment. Second, the Tigers coaches have done a great job over the years and have taught more kids the game than I can count. They haven't gotten enough credit over the years for a job well done. Brooks has been an embarrassment to the league for many years and has always tried to cause problems for the Tigers. And this is from a parent who's kid played on another team but would have liked to have been on the Tigers.
Frankie Crawford

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

Move on was right on. I was there also. The fan who was giving the ref the hardest time got up and gave the tigers coach a hug when he left. This young man also was screaming at the panther players to fall when they dribbled past him. More of the tiger crowd chimed in and it turned into a chant. Talk about poor sports. I know that the tigers coach was called for a technical foul earlier in the season.Poor sportsmanship again. How about a playoff game when the tigers set out there and stalled to get a win.Wow poor sportsmanship again. You people forget that this is not the NBA. It is a bunch of 4th 5th 6th grade school kids trying to learn how to play basketball. They are not playing for millions they are supposed to be learning and having fun. A coach that throws down his clipboard,screams at the kids and gets technicals called on him is just as bad of an example. The fight picked at the end by the official was started by the tigers fans. Still he probably should have turned the other cheek and left but i'm sure being badgered by them all during the game had boiled up to enough.His comments during the game were unprofessional also.
innocent bystander

Oak Forest, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

I don't know what game you were watching ...not one tiger fan stood up and chanted for any player to fall ...get real ..the only negative comments made about the tigers coach come from people who don't have a clue what a good coach the tigers have had over the last 20 years ....just ask the kids and parents who have had him for a coach.!
The graduate

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

He is an official and if you were around at the end of the game one of the coaches made a comment that an official is only correct 50% of the time.
An official will only satisfy half the crowd on any call made that is the calls that go against the opposing team.
Tigers Fan

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

First of all the Tigers coach has been one H*ll of a coach if you could please open the back of your programs from this year you will see the proof. And yes Tigers fans really get into the game Im sorry their family and friends are so proud of their accomplishments that it offends some people. But Honestly I didnt agree with what happend Friday but there are two sides to every story Brooks did not carry his self in the professional manner that he should have it just got to out of control It really angers me to see everyone making comments about how the Tigers fans get out of control because we ended up sitting with Bears fans when the Tigers played against them and there was a parent of a Bears player that was screaming at the Tigers players calling them chickens and a few other choice words we had finally had enough my husband told him to be quiet let the kids play their game. There are several fans on each team that get outta control its funny how its only the Tigers fans that get the heat its ridiculous and its only because people are jealous of how well the Tigers have done and we have a coach to prove it. And as for the comment about the fan screaming at the panthers to fall that is pure bull someone has made up because I watched this person that I know well and if those words would have came out of his mouth I would have removed him myself!! When I heard this was being discussed on Paris Topix I knew that it would be just full of nonsense and of course when I read it thats what I got But dont get me wrong I believe reffin a game is hard and the 3 refs did the best job they could but things should have not got that outta control and if Toby thought there was a problem with a fan he would have taken care of it he has no problem in doing so!
spectator

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

One of the fans being discussed had previously been told not to return because he used profanity at an official. Saw that official a lot at games this year but not certain of his name. Also I was sitting towards the middle of Sunday's game when this same fan yelled profanity again. Unfortunately another individual was blamed but the Coach is well aware of these incidences. Reffing or coaching is not one of those hobbies that interests me but I have a great deal of respect for those who do infact enough not to mention names or trash them on this site.
I can only imagine if I coached children at this age group for however many years I would get burned out. There comes a time to step aside and do it with dignity instead of playing into this gossip. As for the official I agree with a comment made earlier that he has grown up. I don't always agree with the calls any of them make but that is the way it goes as I may not have the best position to make that call. Does that mean we don't lose our temper when provoked? I witnessed this incident and believe that some of it was provoked just as the incident on Sunday.
I have always been told that it is hard to get guys to ref this league and now understand how that can be.
It is important to remember that winning is wonderful but the true winners are those that the players and coach learn respect.
huh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Mr Basketball wrote:
I was at the Friday games and was setting close enough to hear what was going on. First of all the guy getting the blame for yelling at the ref wasn't even the person who made a comment. Second, the Tigers coaches have done a great job over the years and have taught more kids the game than I can count. They haven't gotten enough credit over the years for a job well done. Brooks has been an embarrassment to the league for many years and has always tried to cause problems for the Tigers. And this is from a parent who's kid played on another team but would have liked to have been on the Tigers.
At least someone who admits they did hear yelling! I guess that it was the Prouse kid
nonsense

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

We are the parents of the Prouse kid you are talking about we are embarassed for his actions and have no control over him cause he is an adult but if Toby had a problem with him he should have thrown him out. And as for Brooks we were sitting in the aisle when he got ready to leave and someone made a comment to him and he responded with "if anyone had a problem with him come on outside" he even thru his coat off and there were plenty of people who witnessed that and people just laughed that off. Im sorry that this mess has got outta control but that does not take away from the fact the Tigers have had one heck of a run thanks to the coach and the players. We have known this coach for years our 3 kids have been Tigers and yes he does get into the game but thats what we all love about him!!
Mr Obvious

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

Hey Frankie, I hate to tell you this but from the content of your post you know very little about basketball and quite possibly could be an idiot. I know these things, that's why they call me Mr. Obvious.
Palace King

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

Mr Obvious wrote:
Hey Frankie, I hate to tell you this but from the content of your post you know very little about basketball and quite possibly could be an idiot. I know these things, that's why they call me Mr. Obvious.
shut up I have spoken no more programs like this till the parents learn to play together what a poor diplay of sportmanship from parents.
what

Chrisman, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

Did you ever stop to acknowledge the fact that maybe the coach wasn't a god? Maybe the Tigers have had a good team because it has ALWAYS been stacked. That is why alot of people quit playing. Get real, and TRY to grow up. That coach is horrible and Brooks is no better. How do you choose between the two? And I promise you, these kids will not grow up to be in the NBA, just let them play ball and all of the parents keep their mouths shut, and the refs do a decent job and we would not have all of this stupid stuff!
huh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

That Tiger team was pretty much stacked. Someone commented Tigers had lost a good player but that was inexcusable. And what about the Tiger girl player that didn't know how to run a play on Sunday and her coach turned to the audience and said what do you expect she was not at practice on saturday. Not a necessary comment and her mom was sitting right there. welcome to retirement coach

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

Thats Funny someone says the Tigers were stacked lol! I have a question for everyone. Can you please tell me who the head coach was for the Panthers I was a little confused when they announced it was Steve Kemper because it looked like Dan Gates was calling all the shots!!And as for people bashing Steve Vice as a coach now why would A past Panthers coach Tom Dunn make a comment that he wished Steve would stick around because he has some grandkids he would have liked to play for the tigers. That goes to show Steve has earned respect as a coach with someone like Tom Dunn making a comment like that.
witness

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

Paris Citizen 2 wrote:
Thats Funny someone says the Tigers were stacked lol! I have a question for everyone. Can you please tell me who the head coach was for the Panthers I was a little confused when they announced it was Steve Kemper because it looked like Dan Gates was calling all the shots!!And as for people bashing Steve Vice as a coach now why would A past Panthers coach Tom Dunn make a comment that he wished Steve would stick around because he has some grandkids he would have liked to play for the tigers. That goes to show Steve has earned respect as a coach with someone like Tom Dunn making a comment like that.
Tom Dunn is a nice guy what else could be expected. Didn't he have a granddaughter on the Cardinals team? Not really knowing whether there are specific guidlines as to coaching but I thought that was why there were assistant coaches. Don't they help in a productive manner with the coaching? There are several of those benches that have assistant coaches, is that illegal in the league.
A friend also said that vice did the trophies. Maybe the committee that selects those should try the shop uptown

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

witness wrote:
<quoted text>Tom Dunn is a nice guy what else could be expected. Didn't he have a granddaughter on the Cardinals team? Not really knowing whether there are specific guidlines as to coaching but I thought that was why there were assistant coaches. Don't they help in a productive manner with the coaching? There are several of those benches that have assistant coaches, is that illegal in the league.
A friend also said that vice did the trophies. Maybe the committee that selects those should try the shop uptown
Im sorry but I think there is a difference between assisting a coach and takin over all the plays if you were a witness like you claim then you would have noticed no other assistants took over like Dan Gates had to! It would be understandable if the head coach was sick but that was not the case.And what the heck does where the trophies come from mean anything..
pastplayerofstev evice

Dyer, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

My family was also present at this game Friday evening...I was excited to see one...haven't been to one in awhile! The issue that caused the "Brooks-explosion" on the Tigers crowd was a s poor call on his part. Bet none on you bashing the coaches even remember what that call was...yeah! It was a charge ...the kids were MOVING together as as the call was made - BUT that is beside the point.
I was EMBARRASSED to be sitting there with my yound children as Brooks Wilson came up to the Tigers Side and was literally an inch or two away from Steve's face. Then, He called Steve a liar and told someone to SHUT UP! WOW! You call that grown up? LOL! I can't quite laughing that you thing he has grown up. How is that considered okay by the league to talk to a coach or the crowd that way - THIS IS A FAMILY SPORT! After the game, I too observed Brooks "flipping out." A GROWN UP young man would have WALKED AWAY rather than whipping his coat off and trying to talk crap to the crowd! Wow! LOL! I DO FEEL VERY SORRY FOR HIM THOUGH...AND HIS FAMILY...IT SEEMS VERY OBVIOUS THAT BROOKS WILSON HAS SOME MAJOR ANGER ISSUES. HE IS A TICKING TIME BOMB!

As for Steve Vice, I too have played for him! I think that most people you poll would also support the fact that he is a great coach...he does have a temper but only becuase he has great expectations out of the kids he has coached. i support the fact that he is retiring becuase he needs to enjoy watching his son and grandkids play the game...but you all wouldn't know what kind of coach he is IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN INVOLVED WITH THE TIGERS OR THE MANY OTHER TEAMS HE HAS COACHED THROUGHOUT THE YEARS. He has a huge heart and watches these kids grow up - watches them play PHS ball and graduate college...some other coaches could care less or might not even remember there team-members names 20 years down the road...i bet Steve could!
Well Wishes Steve Vice...You are a great coach! The Tigers will have some record to follow up with!
Brooks Wilson...grown up! LOL! LOL! LMAO!

Since: Feb 11

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

First off let me say that Steve Vice was never thrown out of the league. There was a misunderstanding and Terry quit the league and basically made Steve quit. Larry stood up to them and was threatened by people in Paris thinking he threw them out of the league. Larry left Paris City League due to all of this back in 1991, people have forgotten that it is suppose to be a learning league and should never be like it is now. Just ask Larry if you do not believe me. It was Terry Elston who would hold more than the allowed practices per the rules. But, he was doing it for the love of the game and not trying to "stack" his team. Coaches have in the past made someone an asst coach so there kid would be on there team if they thought the child would be good. So a rule was made that the parent had to be an asst. coach for the prior year if their child was going to be automatically on the team. I do not know if they still follow that rule. It was put in place due to Tom Puntzell's boy coming in the league and the Tigers wanted him. The other coaches were the ones that voted in the rules and it was not The President of the league doing it. Just as in the real world the President is a puppet for the voting group.(Congress or coaches)
I did referee back in the day and I would never do it again, it is not an easy job. Any fan you curses or says anything to a ref should be booted from the gym the first time to set the tone for the rest of the fans.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of60
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Paris Discussions

Search the Paris Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 7 hr lol 47,058
April-May Edition 7 hr Billy Mac 22
Get Rid Of Paris Topix 10 hr The REAL OneTimeResident 126
Get Rid Of DISCLOSURE! 10 hr The REAL OneTimeResident 38
Catherine Singer Im Calling 14 hr Jan Payton Burno Mills 1
Is JAN MILLS CRAZY OR INSANE? 14 hr Jan Payton Burno Mills 60
Watchdogs; Self Serving Or "We The People?" Ser... 18 hr The REAL OneTimeResident 79
•••
•••
•••
•••

Paris Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Paris People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance