What happened to the Shriners??

Posted in the Paris Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Eyes and Ears

United States

#1 Jun 11, 2011
I remember in the not so distant past, the Shrine Parade had LOTS of Shrine entries. Now today, there was half a dozen Shrine groups, and that was it? I remember the go kart group, the bagpipe group, loads of clowns, the Ansar guys with their full Middle Eastern garb. What the hell happened to all of them? Are they boycotting the Paris Parade for some reason?
NOW PAYING MORE TAXES

United States

#2 Jun 11, 2011
In order to become a Shriner you first have to go through the Masonic Lodge and become a Master Mason. Many young, or middle aged people these days dont have the time or want to become part of a group like the Masons. It is a shame. The masonic lodge and Shrine have done a lot for the community and both are slowly dieing out. As goes the Masons, so goes the Shrine.
Eyes and Ears

United States

#3 Jun 11, 2011
Makes sense.

May be time for the Shriners and/or Masons to change their recruitment methods, in order to further their cause. I agree that both groups do a lot in the community, but they may be contributing to their own demise if they don't adapt.
Interesting

Downers Grove, IL

#4 Jun 11, 2011
With the increased pace of life, it is tough to find the extra time to participate in groups like this. I mean a lot of folks are working a couple of jobs and shuttling their kids around to various extra curricular events. There just isn't as much free time as generations before us enjoyed.
Eyes and Ears

United States

#5 Jun 11, 2011
Yes life in our world today is as fast paced as it has ever been. This will not change anytime in the foreseeable future. I'm in my late twenties, and I already feel like there are so many things in my life competing for my time. I would love to contribute to groups like the Shriners and other altruistic groups, but my hectic schedule simply would not allow it. I truly long for a return to the days, prior to the internet and technology, where life was a little slower paced...
spectator

Tyrone, PA

#6 Jun 12, 2011
At one point in time they had very strict requirements to become a Mason. Maybe it is time they revisit their guidelines and adapt to these times. Wasn't it just recently they had someone whom the group had entrusted with finances take a great deal of money from the group? The entire Shrine weekend has changed a great deal. We no longer have the merchants on the square to bring in people for Sidewalk Sales. Instead of beef being charcoaled beginning late at night it now comes in already to be put together. The auction is no longer held on the square but instead the American Legion. Golly I noticed that the signs advertising for the festivities don't even have dates on them.
I guess we should be thankful the Edgar County families that have been long time members to carry out this yearly event. The money raised does help a very worthwhile cause and we all know children in our community that have benefitted from their efforts.
Hats off to the Shriners and hope that you had a successful year!
jerimiahjohnson

Tinley Park, IL

#7 Jun 12, 2011
I am a Mason. Blue Lodge Master Mason. To enter 30 some years ago one had to apply and be tested. In the testing there was a great deal of learned material...it had to be learned. In thoses days the Masons would take care of your children and wife if need be if something happened that you were no longer able. Your sisters and mother were also in the provision. They had a home for the destitute brothers. Many would simply sign away their possessions and live a simple life at the home when they became old and less firm...mentally and physically. The home had an endowment of over 1 hundred million dollars. Money corrupts...always. Look what a certain person in paris was willing to do for financial security. Anyoldwho...the story of the Mason goes back hundreds of years. Our first president was a Master Mason. Many others who are significant in the American experience were Masons. In the times I went into the Lodge one had to profess a belief in GOD and be white. As the saga plays out I grew disinchanted with the ways and ceased to be an active member. Still pay my dues but I can't tell you why. Shriners do alot of work and support worthy causes such as childrens hospitals and such.
albus

Spring Green, WI

#8 Jun 12, 2011
I used to belong to the masons and shrine. Joined when i was 21. Enjoyed it for many years. Volunteered for shrine day for many years. Volunteered for Masonic events. Kinda quit doing it a few years back. Got tired of the politics involved in it. Turned my cheek the last 10 years of the lodge and shrine. Gave em my time for shrine day and spent $100 on BBQ. I dont agree that they need to adapt or change their ways for admission. Every barrel has a rotten apple or two. I still very much believe in the cause they support. A menu change and the possiblity of moving to the fairgrounds might help. Its not all their fault the businesses around the square have dried up. Like the Marines....adapt and change and it will work out.
concerned

Punxsutawney, PA

#9 Jun 13, 2011
I have many fond memories of Shriners weekend but I was very displeased when I saw a gentleman in shrine attire add alcohol to 2 bottles of ginger ale. I was even more displeased to see him load these bottles onto the red tractor he was driving in the parade! Isn't drinking and driving a crime?(even if it is a tractor in a parade going only 10 miles per hour) I dont know about you but I was wondering how much he had already drank that morning and if he would have the reflexs to stop in case a child ran out in front of him for candy!
I have always felt that Shrine members were very upstanding people but now after the money scandal and the drinking and driving I just witnessed I am beginning to feel otherwise!
tellin u

Punxsutawney, PA

#10 Jun 13, 2011
was he a shriner ? and are you sure this is how bs gets started
Qwerty

Chicago, IL

#11 Jun 13, 2011
It depends what state in which this happened and exactly when, but no...drinking and driving is NOT (or wasn't back in the day) a crime. Being impaired or intoxicated and driving IS. There is a difference.
albus

Walnut, IL

#12 Jun 13, 2011
concerned wrote:
I have many fond memories of Shriners weekend but I was very displeased when I saw a gentleman in shrine attire add alcohol to 2 bottles of ginger ale. I was even more displeased to see him load these bottles onto the red tractor he was driving in the parade! Isn't drinking and driving a crime?(even if it is a tractor in a parade going only 10 miles per hour) I dont know about you but I was wondering how much he had already drank that morning and if he would have the reflexs to stop in case a child ran out in front of him for candy!
I have always felt that Shrine members were very upstanding people but now after the money scandal and the drinking and driving I just witnessed I am beginning to feel otherwise!
the money scandal is the result of one person. No one else.
spectator

Terre Haute, IN

#13 Jun 15, 2011
Qwerty wrote:
It depends what state in which this happened and exactly when, but no...drinking and driving is NOT (or wasn't back in the day) a crime. Being impaired or intoxicated and driving IS. There is a difference.
So what you are saying is that I can get up in the morning and be absolutely sober. I then can make myself a bloody mary instead of grabbing a can of V8 and drink it on my way to work. I believe if I was pulled over the officer would say I am definitely in violation of the law
Stop the Stupid

Prairieton, IN

#14 Jun 15, 2011
Yes, but not DUI. The law you would be in violation of is the open container law. In Illinois, and most states, it is against the law to travel in an automobile with an open container of alcohol. This is usually cited as "illegal transportation."
spectator wrote:
<quoted text>So what you are saying is that I can get up in the morning and be absolutely sober. I then can make myself a bloody mary instead of grabbing a can of V8 and drink it on my way to work. I believe if I was pulled over the officer would say I am definitely in violation of the law
spectator

Terre Haute, IN

#15 Jun 15, 2011
Stop the Stupid wrote:
Yes, but not DUI. The law you would be in violation of is the open container law. In Illinois, and most states, it is against the law to travel in an automobile with an open container of alcohol. This is usually cited as "illegal transportation."
<quoted text>
And so if the entry in the Shrine Parade was doing as someone stated...that isn't a violation of the law? Come on! YOu have to do better than that!
Hey

Rockford, IL

#16 Jun 16, 2011
spectator wrote:
<quoted text>And so if the entry in the Shrine Parade was doing as someone stated...that isn't a violation of the law? Come on! YOu have to do better than that!
It really depends when and where this specific incident took place. Open container laws are relatively new in some states. Before that, drinking and driving was, in fact, LEGAL. Being impaired or intoxicated was not.
DUCT MAN

Terre Haute, IN

#17 Jun 16, 2011
You guys cops?
Orville Redenbacher Rocks

Peoria, IL

#18 Jun 16, 2011
DUCT MAN wrote:
You guys cops?
No, but I play one on TV.:)
DUCT MAN

Terre Haute, IN

#19 Jun 16, 2011
Orville Redenbacher Rocks wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but I play one on TV.:)
Talk to me! Good cop- Bad cop- Let's hear it!!!!
tellin u

Terre Haute, IN

#20 Jun 16, 2011
everyones down on shriners just look at all the good they do for the KIDS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
irma mitchell 7 hr No Joke 13
Jerry Springer (Apr '14) 9 hr Chris MOORE rules 7
Poll Is Jan DEAD? 13 hr TRUTH 4 REAL 17
Poll Can you IMAGINE being Jan's NEIGHBOR??? 15 hr TRUTH 4 REAL 8
Ron mitchell Fri no complaints 3
State Guts Gas Tax Fund Apr 24 yur beneath me 9
bob morgyon Apr 23 DuaMe Burno Mills 3
More from around the web

Paris People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE