Paragould PRIDE Band prepares for com...

Paragould PRIDE Band prepares for competition

There are 159 comments on the Paragould Daily Press story from Jul 29, 2008, titled Paragould PRIDE Band prepares for competition. In it, Paragould Daily Press reports that:

Rookie of the year. All indications show any one of the 24 new members of the Paragould PRIDE marching band could qualify for this title.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Paragould Daily Press.

Kiwi

Paragould, AR

#21 Aug 14, 2008
The Original PRIDE of GCT wrote:
Ummmmm.....LOOK! I'm not a big enough jerk to tell you who I "thank" has the better band. I'm just saying that if YOU guys are the band, YOU obviously have a say in what to call yourselves. It's stupid to let new ideas go too far, ya know? I am a little ticked that your new directors would go that far with it....I've never had a problem with Paragould at all. I have a bunch of friends from Paragould band!.....but there are ALOT of your band kids taking this way too far with comments about Tech band, our band director, AND your old band directors! Do you see that from us?
We had absolutely no say in it contrary to popular belief. The directors have changed everything without consulting the band first. If you went to PHS you'd completely understand.

And I don't know if you read my comment, but I was apologizing to you guys. Paragould band students are a lot nicer in person. I don't know who is post all of this stuff about "Paragould band has always been a million times better than GCT", but they are apparently the few jerks we have in our band.
Kiwi

Paragould, AR

#22 Aug 14, 2008
Former PHS drum major wrote:
Where did Mr. Reely go??
Mr. Reely went to Searcy and Mr. Hogard went to Brookland. We miss them both... tear..
Dragonfly Princess

United States

#23 Aug 14, 2008
Ok.....I think it's just a little retarded that yall are gonne steel our slogan, pretty much. YES....it's used by many, but do you honestly think that your new band directors only did it because "everyone uses it"? That's a bunch of bull crap, Paragould! GCT has always given you guys a run for your money, and sometimes old is wise, and not just old. Thank you very much! Danny Davis is an amazing band director, no matter how hard he works us, and YOU will never know it, and cannot argue with it! The only thing you can do is HOPE that you can live up to PRIDE standards. GCT- PRIDE!
I wouldn't correct the kid who spelled think (thank) when you have SEVERAL typos and grammatical errors in your post above. Steel? Do you mean steal? Yall? Do you mean ya'll or you all? Gonne? Did you mean gonna or going to?

A little retarded? Hmmmm. Who are you measuring it against....yourself?
guestguest

United States

#24 Aug 14, 2008
PHS Band Member wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you say Mr. Reely and Mr. Hogard are nothing compared to the new directors? You obviously do NOT know what you are talking about. They were (and still are) great directors! They built the Paragould band from scratch. Everyone in the band would give up anything to have them back. What you are not aware of is how many band students are going to (and are thinking about) quiting this year. I talk with my fellow band students everyday and they all feel the same way.
That's not entirely true. I am in band and as much as Mr. R and Mr. H will be missed, many of us are excited to have younger directors and new ways of doing things this year. Only a few I know of have quit and their reasons had NOTHING to do with the new directors but more so with other social/extra-curricular activities and harder classes. So you aren't talking to enough of your "fellow" band members if you think this way.
Big Mike

Little Rock, AR

#25 Aug 15, 2008
Well I was in the band last year and was in ever since the 7th grade. Mr. Hogard and Mr. Reely built the band up from nothing. What does it matter if the new directors want to use "PRIDE" in their new slogan. I'll even give it up to tech, they have had some REALLY good shows the past couple of years. Either way, both bands are good and do great at contest.
Ace

Jonesboro, AR

#26 Aug 15, 2008
Ummmmm.....LOOK! I'm not a big enough jerk to tell you who I "thank" has the better band. I'm just saying that if YOU guys are the band, YOU obviously have a say in what to call yourselves. It's stupid to let new ideas go too far, ya know? I am a little ticked that your new directors would go that far with it....I've never had a problem with Paragould at all. I have a bunch of friends from Paragould band!.....but there are ALOT of your band kids taking this way too far with comments about Tech band, our band director, AND your old band directors! Do you see that from us?
The members of the PHS band had NO SAY what so ever on the change of names. It was not voted on as a team as it should have been. The new directors seem to be in the process of "establishing control" of the band. As was mentioned before, a lot of the kids are considering quitting something they love doing because the adults are not handling situations properly. I hope the new band directors are clued in before it is too late. We have talented kids right now and I hope they all can stick through this.
PHS Band Member

Paragould, AR

#27 Aug 16, 2008
guestguest wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not entirely true. I am in band and as much as Mr. R and Mr. H will be missed, many of us are excited to have younger directors and new ways of doing things this year. Only a few I know of have quit and their reasons had NOTHING to do with the new directors but more so with other social/extra-curricular activities and harder classes. So you aren't talking to enough of your "fellow" band members if you think this way.
Have you not noticed that almost a third of our band has quit? You honestly think that all is due to "extra curricular activities"? If you do then you are very optimistic and blind. Are you true friends with the people that have quit and are going to quit? I know tons of seniors who are throwing away scholarship opportunities and honestly it's extremely sad. The only reason I'm still in band is because one of the directors I was extremely close to told me not to quit. He said he knows I am talented enough to get a scholarship and I shouldn't throw that away.

I didn't want to say this, but our band USED to be a family. Now I just don't feel the love. It feels like we are always mad at one another now because we are so tired and are so angry with the decisions of the band director. It's by far not the same, but I wish it was.
guestguest

United States

#28 Aug 16, 2008
PHS Band Member wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you not noticed that almost a third of our band has quit? You honestly think that all is due to "extra curricular activities"? If you do then you are very optimistic and blind. Are you true friends with the people that have quit and are going to quit? I know tons of seniors who are throwing away scholarship opportunities and honestly it's extremely sad. The only reason I'm still in band is because one of the directors I was extremely close to told me not to quit. He said he knows I am talented enough to get a scholarship and I shouldn't throw that away.
I didn't want to say this, but our band USED to be a family. Now I just don't feel the love. It feels like we are always mad at one another now because we are so tired and are so angry with the decisions of the band director. It's by far not the same, but I wish it was.
Alot of the top band members graduated last year. If they choose to quit over a slogan change or director change then they didn't deserve the scholarships anyway. Life changes. Don't expect it to feel like family the first year into changes. It will take time and you may be gone before it happens. I'm sure it was the same way when Mr. Reely first came. He had to be given a chance.

Life and school is what you make of it. If you are determined to have a bad year in band this last year, you will. Just don't ruin it for the rest of us. If you can't have a good attitude about it....please quit.
PHS Band Member

Little Rock, AR

#29 Aug 16, 2008
guestguest wrote:
<quoted text>
Alot of the top band members graduated last year. If they choose to quit over a slogan change or director change then they didn't deserve the scholarships anyway. Life changes. Don't expect it to feel like family the first year into changes. It will take time and you may be gone before it happens. I'm sure it was the same way when Mr. Reely first came. He had to be given a chance.
Life and school is what you make of it. If you are determined to have a bad year in band this last year, you will. Just don't ruin it for the rest of us. If you can't have a good attitude about it....please quit.
Don't even start. If you really want to settle this, let's settle Monday at school, during band. Tell me who you are and then we can settle this like it should be settled, in person. Maybe then I can open your eyes to all that's been going on.

Gregory, AR

#30 Aug 16, 2008
children, children!!
WaaWaa

United States

#31 Aug 16, 2008
PHS Band Member wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't even start. If you really want to settle this, let's settle Monday at school, during band. Tell me who you are and then we can settle this like it should be settled, in person. Maybe then I can open your eyes to all that's been going on.
I think if you are THIS upset over BAND then speak to your parents and the band director rather than whining on Topix
PHS Band Member

Paragould, AR

#32 Aug 17, 2008
WaaWaa wrote:
<quoted text>
I think if you are THIS upset over BAND then speak to your parents and the band director rather than whining on Topix
I have talked to all of them and nothing has been done. My parents are about to go up to the school and talk to the directors and super intendent. So I suggest you keep your comments to yourself because I've done all that can be done.
Barb

United States

#33 Aug 17, 2008
Former PHS drum major wrote:
Where did Mr. Reely go??
yeah.. what happened to Reely and Hogard? I'm taking it by the posts that Richie Williams is one of the new directors.. who is the other one??
BTW I went to school with Richie.. he's a great guy (and funny too)..
WaaWaa

United States

#34 Aug 17, 2008
PHS Band Member wrote:
<quoted text>
I have talked to all of them and nothing has been done. My parents are about to go up to the school and talk to the directors and super intendent. So I suggest you keep your comments to yourself because I've done all that can be done.
You aren't the only one entitled to an opinion. We are all allowed to have one and make comments. Apparently, what you had to say didn't matter much to those people either.....which is what is really bothering you. Were they supposed to ask how high? Yes, have your parents go talk to the directors and the superintendent. I'm sure it will work wonders. Meanwhile, the band program will go on. Neither director has had enough time to succeed or fail at this point. What is it you seem to think is so awful? The slogan change and your missed opportunity to vote on it? Give me a break.
BULL

Paragould, AR

#35 Aug 17, 2008
PHS Ram wrote:
Pride is used in a lot of bands. gct isn't the only band using pride. Besides not only are we The Paragould PRIDE, we're also "Paragould's Best in Sight & Sound"
Tell that to your FLAGLINE !! You retard !!!!
Wow people

United States

#36 Aug 18, 2008
Usually I just sit back and read the posts, however on this topic, i have to say something.
First and foremost, Mr. Reely and Mr. Hogard both were great directors and led our band in a very positive direction. They were very nice people and cared for every student very much. Mr. Williams and Mrs. Chitmon are on the road to being the same way. Sure our practices have been extended and some of the fun things we had aren't quite as fun anymore, but you've got to realize that they're just trying to make it.
Criticism has run high on them. Many doubts have been put on their backs by students, parents, faculty, and citizens of Paragould. They cannot satisfy every one at every second. Their job is very difficult.
Yes, there are times when even i seem to mutter "I hate band," but all in all, it's really not all that bad. Both Mr. Williams and Mrs. Chitmon are very sincere and caring people.
Try and put yourselves in their place, coming in after two amazing directors and trying to make a name for themselves. They're making changes that they feel are necessary in order to make the band program work for them, and there's nothing wrong with that. I've heard many comments after Friday night's performance stating that our band played better than they had in a long time. This is thanks to Mr. Hogard and Reely for our previous teachings, as well as Mr. Williams and Mrs. Chitmon. No more negative comments people. It's pointless. It is the way it is, and everyone's doing their best. We were put in a hard situation and we're making it work.
In regard to the name, the directors did choose it. It's because they have pride and they want us to as well. Tech is the pride of Greene County. We are the pride of Paragould. Get over it. We're two bands in the same area, we should both be prideful and you shouldn't look down on the other for having pride. I agree that it is not a name i would have chosen, however it is what it is.
Stop being childish and grow up. This is HIGH SCHOOL BAND. Think about it. It's not worth the grumbling. There's nothing anyone can do to change the way things are, and fussing on a website surely will not change a thing.

“A is A”

Level 1

Since: Jul 08

Lawlgould

#37 Aug 18, 2008
PHS Band Member wrote:
<quoted text>
Cry more.
PHS Band Member

Paragould, AR

#38 Aug 18, 2008
I like how you guys said everyone is entitled to their own opinion, which is true. I just don't understand why you are telling me to "go cry about it" or "shut up about it". It's a website and last time I checked I am under the Constitution just like everyone else. Can someone say "Free speech?". So this arguement could go on forever, but it is getting us nowhere. I'm going to count how many people are considering quiting and then we can let the statistics settle everything themselves.
DOO DOO BROWN

United States

#39 Aug 18, 2008
Your a freaking BAND JOCK and you were gonna kick peoples azzs on the Eric McDork thread ? Big Mike is a Big Dork!! Rock out with your trumbone Dip Shit !!
Big Mike wrote:
Well I was in the band last year and was in ever since the 7th grade. Mr. Hogard and Mr. Reely built the band up from nothing. What does it matter if the new directors want to use "PRIDE" in their new slogan. I'll even give it up to tech, they have had some REALLY good shows the past couple of years. Either way, both bands are good and do great at contest.
My two cents

Wood River, IL

#40 Aug 18, 2008
Wow. Well, after reading that Paragould Band had began using "pride" in their slogan, I was as shocked as most people. Do I think it's worth coming to blows over? No. I was in the Tech band ten years or so ago, and it was WORK. It literally consumed your entire life from early summer until November. Granted, Davis and his wife were/are asses, and never cared much for a lot of us kids I felt, but he also got things done and we had a great band at the time. That said, I haven't seen the Tech band perform in nine years, so I have no idea how they're doing now. Every time I have seen the Paragould band perform they have been great too, and I'm not just saying that to placate everyone here. When I look back on my high school years it's band I remember, and I even met and began dating my husband in band! Trust me, fighting on Topix message boards is not what you want to remember about high school. The band program is hard enough as it is without a bunch of drama about what the band directors and/or faculty choose to call it. After all, the average student can't change those things. Good luck this season everyone!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paragould Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jenn G. 8 min guest 7
Why the 1% always win 19 min qwe 4
Trumps impeachment 21 min qwe 120
Looking for house with utilities paid Friday. 1 hr Guest 12
It's time to bring in the union USW to ARI 1 hr Guest 11
firework show 1 hr bbc 3
larry hensley (Feb '14) 2 hr Yep 29

Paragould Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance