Why do people stretch their earlobes ...
Joe

United States

#44 Feb 3, 2009
huh wrote:
<quoted text>like i said in my first post "attention". thats what everyone wants and thats what this is about. i don't care how you look but i think to limit your options in the eyes of society is just not smart. earrings and tats can be done in a way that you can be cool on the weekend and still look professional in the week but the lobe thing is just uncool in any setting.
People have to know that big lobes or tats do not make a person a criminal nor stupid there are lots of people that have great professional jobs that make good money and take alot of school and smarts maybe if people look less at the outside and more at what matters the world would be a better place i have tats and big lobs and no intintions of hidding them for people that don't understand what they are.
Joe

United States

#45 Feb 3, 2009
huh wrote:
<quoted text>like i said in my first post "attention". thats what everyone wants and thats what this is about. i don't care how you look but i think to limit your options in the eyes of society is just not smart. earrings and tats can be done in a way that you can be cool on the weekend and still look professional in the week but the lobe thing is just uncool in any setting.
Oh and i dont do this to be (cool) i do it because i injoy it and it shows who i am
Joe

United States

#46 Feb 3, 2009
thats enjoy
huh

Lewisville, TX

#47 Feb 3, 2009
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and i dont do this to be (cool) i do it because i injoy it and it shows who i am
you are right. it does show who you are. ou are not a person who is able to live life by principle and have people take notice over time that you are a respectful, smart, go getter that everyone would be glad to know. you must get your attention the easy way by doing something that most people would notice imediately as unusual and strange therefor get you the attention and instant gratification that cann't be acheived by just being you. that is what is false about the statments that are given by people defending this. its not that they are being themselves but that they are changing themselves because being themselves is not enough.
Joe

United States

#48 Feb 3, 2009
Wow you call me stupid and you are the one that can't deal with the thought that people could be diffirent than you. What principle are you talking about anyway? You have no idea what your talking about just because you don't like something does not make it wrong. You know if we were all the same we would be called ants not people.Nothing is more American than rebellion. Small minds condemn anything that they fail to comprehend.
huh

Lewisville, TX

#49 Feb 4, 2009
Joe wrote:
Wow you call me stupid and you are the one that can't deal with the thought that people could be diffirent than you. What principle are you talking about anyway? You have no idea what your talking about just because you don't like something does not make it wrong. You know if we were all the same we would be called ants not people.Nothing is more American than rebellion. Small minds condemn anything that they fail to comprehend.
i don't see where i called you stupid but hey if the shoe fits. and its a nice touch adding being american as a point i your favor how about adding god babies and puppies to and you will be untouchable.
Joe

United States

#50 Feb 5, 2009
i will stop this fight you will never see the truth that not everybody wants to be the same i fill sorry for you your life as just another sheep in the flock must suck but you don't know that i leave you with this Many people project a pristine outward appearances in effort to help mask their foul entrails
huh

United States

#52 Feb 5, 2009
Joe wrote:
i will stop this fight you will never see the truth that not everybody wants to be the same i fill sorry for you your life as just another sheep in the flock must suck but you don't know that i leave you with this Many people project a pristine outward appearances in effort to help mask their foul entrails
i think we actually agree on most points all i'm saying is don't say it's some inward feeling that you must do the lobe deal because your different. it is so people will notice you just like makeup, brands of cloths, type of car, sf of house, tree hugger or not, shaved head or dreads, everything. my point is that by trying to be different it makes you the same as everyone else. and as to the orgin of the post i just think it looks silly, thats all. i hope you don't think i "should" agree with you about appearance because "i have the right to make my on choices and not follow the herd". i agree i'm done with the discussion nothing else to say. peace.

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT, EVEN THOSE OF US WHO DON'T ADVERTISE IT.
where to begin TAMPA FL

Birmingham, AL

#53 Feb 18, 2009
First off, I am a very successful and wealthy guy running a multi-million dollar restaurant chain. I am at a little less then 1 and a quarter inch! I have dreads and ya people like to ask me questions every day! I am huge into culture! I am inked up with different styled art from around the world! And yes I might look different to those who see the outer shell. But every person I have talked to has complimented the way I look or appreciates my knowledge and may not want it done them selves but respects my own beliefs. It’s a choice for the individual not for the masses. It’s not for everyone but everyone has their right. I hate face tattoos and I hate girls carrying their dog in their purse! But hey, I am not on this planet to judge! To sit here and judge people with any kind of piercing big or small is neither your place nor is it right! You might not like it and that’s fine but do not be so arrogant to think that everyone loves everything about you. I stretched my ears, you might get your hair highlighted, and to me there is no difference. If our ancestors use stretching ear lobes to symbolize prosperity, longevity, beauty, patience and other traits, why are you so uneducated and close minded to not be considerate of an inviduals freedom to do so as well. I guess where I am getting at is, appearance does not render your success. Open your eyes to the vast beauty of diversity and your cultural surroundings.
Joe

United States

#54 Feb 23, 2009
Amen.
where to begin TAMPA FL wrote:
First off, I am a very successful and wealthy guy running a multi-million dollar restaurant chain. I am at a little less then 1 and a quarter inch! I have dreads and ya people like to ask me questions every day! I am huge into culture! I am inked up with different styled art from around the world! And yes I might look different to those who see the outer shell. But every person I have talked to has complimented the way I look or appreciates my knowledge and may not want it done them selves but respects my own beliefs. It’s a choice for the individual not for the masses. It’s not for everyone but everyone has their right. I hate face tattoos and I hate girls carrying their dog in their purse! But hey, I am not on this planet to judge! To sit here and judge people with any kind of piercing big or small is neither your place nor is it right! You might not like it and that’s fine but do not be so arrogant to think that everyone loves everything about you. I stretched my ears, you might get your hair highlighted, and to me there is no difference. If our ancestors use stretching ear lobes to symbolize prosperity, longevity, beauty, patience and other traits, why are you so uneducated and close minded to not be considerate of an inviduals freedom to do so as well. I guess where I am getting at is, appearance does not render your success. Open your eyes to the vast beauty of diversity and your cultural surroundings.
Doc

Minneapolis, MN

#55 Feb 23, 2009
Well you clowns can keep stretching your ears and flipping your burgers or digging ditches while us NORMAL 21st century people climb the corporate ladder and don't have to rely on SSN when we get older.
Joe

United States

#56 Feb 24, 2009
Your a funny guy Doc but you don't know what your talking about.
Doc wrote:
Well you clowns can keep stretching your ears and flipping your burgers or digging ditches while us NORMAL 21st century people climb the corporate ladder and don't have to rely on SSN when we get older.
greatjob

Ocoee, FL

#57 Mar 1, 2009
i just want to thank the last three people for ringing some necks for the sake of reality....

by the way, us people with these body modifications find ourselves beautiful, not because of what we were born with alone or just what we have decided to do to ourselves that we thought hey, thats neat, but those together...

we dont see you watching us, because seriously ive realized, people arnt really thinking of you as much as your thinking of them... so, uh, quit wasting your time

we make this world interesting and new, even though few think about this or many things as being activities long before us... its history, not new news
flamingfeather

High Wycombe, UK

#58 Mar 23, 2009
fl has the right idea.
i am 24, from england and i'm not in charge of a multi-million pound business, i am a graphic designer, i own a house and a car and have an amazing 3 year relationship with my girlfriend. i also have my chest, back, two full sleeves and a few tattoos on my legs. my ears are stretched to 2" and i have my lip pierced.
i started getting pierced and stretching at 14 and starting getting tattooed at 16. it is a cultural thing. i lived in new zealand for much of my childhood and saw alot of mokos (the facial tribal tattoos of the native people from new zealand. used to show rank and knowledge) and i just was amazed by them.
i get alot of abuse in the street of people shouting at me because apparently having vines down one arm and holes i can fit my ipod through in my ears is bad and disgusting, but i think wearing a tracksuit and having 4 kids at 21 is disgusting but i don't say anything because it's not my life its theirs so i cant judge.
sadly people no longer feel the same. why hate you only live once why not do what you want and love and let other people do the same?
how would you feel if you loved to cook and someone told you that cooking was a stupid and pointless waste of time? or that if your gay and they beat you because of it?
humans are techinacally animals. doesnt mean we have to act like them. human ancestors also stretched their ears and got tribal tattoos to show position in their tribe. doesnt mean we have to either.
Granny

Big Spring, TX

#59 Mar 23, 2009
Have you younger folks ever noticed how as a person gets older their ears grow longer? Some older folks look freaky and they haven't had theirs stretched---so what you kids gonna look like in your 60's, 70's, worse at 80's and 90's. Your grandkids will really be making fun of you.
flamingfeather

High Wycombe, UK

#60 Mar 26, 2009
i love that idea.
i want a moko for the simple reason of when im old i can walk around with pride and know i did exactly whatever i wanted in life.

United States

#61 Mar 26, 2009
sillykids wrote:
DO people not realize how silly that looks, Not to mention how it is going to look in 30 years or so
Opinions are like buttholes. Some stink and some don't. That being said, here is my opinion. Let the people who choose to do that sort of thing be. You like your new beige carpet. They like their new 4 gauge earrings. The people of this community need to find common points of interest, and talk about that, not reasons to separate one another further apart.
good looking

El Segundo, CA

#62 Mar 26, 2009
ayyy wrote:
why do people like pizza? why do people wear brown shoes? why do people have sex? why do people buy spaghetti? why do people cut their hair?
oh yeah. cuz they can.
why u a jackass? why u a hoe? becouse dats wut u r!!!!
who knows

Gregory, AR

#63 Mar 26, 2009
Most people stretch there ears out for the pain just like cutting or for difference in apperance who knows who cares do what you want
Mursaydees Okelli

Saskatoon, Canada

#64 Mar 26, 2009
I have my ears stretched to 1" with plans on going to at least 1-1/4"
Why? Geez, I can't even tell you why I like red shirts or patchwork-purses. I just like them. And I just like having my ears stretched. It's not about the fashion, because I've been working on them for 12 years. My stretched ears have followed me from high school to university to the professional workplace, and back to university. It's probably the single only thing in my life that I've stuck with for 12 years.
When I started out, it was 1997, and I was 15. No one I knew in real life (except my body piercer) had stretched lobes. I'd seen huge lobes on BME, and was so jealous. I started stretching, going up a few sizes every few months. Eventually I ran out of jewellery to buy in my small city! That's when I discovered Kaos Softwear, makers of the awesomest silicone eyelets in the world. With those, I was able to continue on my journey.
People often ask me how big I plan to go. The truth is, I have no idea. Every time I reach a goal, it just makes me long for the next time I can stretch. It's addictive!! I'm definitely past the point of no-return. My stretched piercings are as permanent as my tattoo, and my only regret there is that I didn't get a tattoo at 18!!
Why do some people wear earrings at all?
Why do some people wear make-up?
Why do some people spend 2 hours a day at the gym?
Everyone has an idea of how they'd like to look. Everyone finds certain styles attractive, and others abhorrent. Some people do crazy things to make themselves look a certain way. Others do crazy things because it gives them a sense of belonging, or conversely, to stand out (which, if you think about it, is a kind of "fitting in", despite the apparent contradiction).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paragould Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marlin Stevenson Trial (May '12) 1 hr KimmiTx 103
brandy nicole hartley ? brandal (Jan '15) 2 hr Guest 8
Willis hooks in jail 3 hr wondering 4
Black kids at Paragould water park 4 hr Guest 57
play the word game (Nov '08) 7 hr luci 12,844
Alphabet Game (Apr '12) 7 hr luci 2,742
LA Nights 10 hr Guest 13
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Paragould Mortgages