First Prev
of 3
Next Last
wondering

Gregory, AR

#1 Jan 4, 2009
If a father owe back pay child support and does not pay and still does nt pay. What can I do. What happens to him. And does he still have rights? Help please!
bsweet

United States

#2 Jan 4, 2009
I think he still should be able to see the kids don't put them in the battle of support, let the courts take care of that.
Not sure how it works here but in TN they get put in jail.
larry the cabe guy

United States

#3 Jan 4, 2009
i do believe they can pull his drivers license and he can go to jail. if he files taxes i think they can take that for child support.
umm

Paragould, AR

#4 Jan 4, 2009
well my dad didn't pay for atleast 18 yrs or so and my mom is getting back child support on me. I'm 24 now. As far as i know though. Get ahold of the child support agency and they will search for his location. Then if you are still not receiving they are suppose to arrest him after so long. Anyone paying child support who gets a year behind or 1000 dollars behind has every right to have rights taken away from him last i was told.
momof3

United States

#5 Jan 4, 2009
Well my husband pays child support and has ever since we have been married.(8 yrs) and he did get behind once and his case worker at the child support office told him that if he got to over a thousand dollars she was putting a warrent out for him for non payment of child support. It really depends on the case worker that your ex has. I mean, if you do go through the child support office. And yes, no matter if the child support is behind or not..(no matter how much) he still has visitation rights.(we know that by fact from our lawyer)So he still got his visitation.. but he did have to pay more a month than his regular payment.. just to get caught back up. They like upped his support payments 25 dollars more a month until the back owed was paid off.
But do really contact your child support office.. they will search for him and if you know where he works they can also garnish his paycheck.
momof3

United States

#6 Jan 4, 2009
Oh and yes they can suspend his drivers license. Like I said it really depends what kind of case worker your ex husband has. Some of them are harsh and push the limit with the dads that don't pay.. but then there are some case workers that don't really do anything to the father that is behind.. which I think he CRAP!! I think if one father can get introuble for being behind a measly 200 dollars.. then a father that is behind thousands should get a worse punishment.. than not get introuble at all!!! Like I said .. I will say it again.. it all depends what kind of case worker it is.
Mom

Paragould, AR

#7 Jan 4, 2009
I know in my divorce papers it said if my ex goes a year w/o seeing our daughter or goes a year w/o child support then he loses his rights to her. My uncle owes like 10 yrs of back child support and he got his liscence revoked.
informed

Kennett, MO

#8 Jan 4, 2009
first of all if you do not start the action nothing happens you need to get in touch with child support enforcement at pocohantus and let them know, but you also need some information ,where he works his address and how long it has been since you recieved any support from him they will also want your case number from your divorce, he does not lose his rights unless he has to go back to court and if you want to get this taken care of you have to start the process after he gets behind far enough they will take his income tax garnish his wages and may even take his drivers liscense, but you have to start the ball rolling if you need the help you can even get on social aid and when that happens they go after him hot and heavy to get their money back now i dont mean run and jump on social aid if you do not need it but do what is right for your children hope this helps you a little

Level 2

Since: Oct 08

Paragould

#9 Jan 5, 2009
If the ex isnt paying and you dont have a case with your local child support office you should lokk into it. If your child is on ArKids then their services are free, and if their not its still not a bad deal when you think off all the services you will be getting from them. I stay on top of my case worker. And the law in ark. states that you are not allowed to hold the chilren hostage for suport. However when the non custodian parent goes 30 days with out non payment they will send out contact letters. after they get so far behind on their support and they aren't paying they can take away not only their drivers lience but all hunting adn fishing licience as well, thats how I got 1 of my exes to start paying, Take away their FUN!!! They can also pull up DMV records and if they have any vehicle tags no matter what it is they can take them away as well. Even trailer and motor cycles.They will send out job seeks to see if he or she is working and they can get a court order to have it with held out of their checks.
If you live in greene or craighead county their office is in Jonesboro the # is 8.7.0.9.7.2.5.5.1.0 or
toll free 1.8.8.8.3.9.0.5.5.1.0
Another idea is the TEA program from DHS if you qualify they will help you get set up with CSE andf if you meet under their income then you can get a monthly check from the state. Both of these places can even help with DNA testing if hes being an ASS
I hope this helps and good luck.
I think their are alot of people out there who should think before they play. After all 1 night of pleasure could come with more responsibility then some may want. babys arent cheep but they are a blessing from god.
wife

Little Rock, AR

#10 Jan 5, 2009
in my case my husband pays, the kid lives with the moms mother, but guess what they don't make her pay. instead she buys crack. And the kid has been with grandma so long that he would be devistated if taken away. my husband wasn't a great dad at first but has improved. And would love to have him, but who wants to upset the kid.

Level 2

Since: Oct 08

Paragould

#11 Jan 5, 2009
wife wrote:
in my case my husband pays, the kid lives with the moms mother, but guess what they don't make her pay. instead she buys crack. And the kid has been with grandma so long that he would be devistated if taken away. my husband wasn't a great dad at first but has improved. And would love to have him, but who wants to upset the kid.
Im glad to here that there are still people who want to put thir children first. as for the mother she should be ashamed of herself.
Hhhmmm

Paragould, AR

#12 Jan 5, 2009
In the case of "Wife", why don't you pay child support as well? If you don't want the kinds, then it is both parent's moral and legal obligation to support the kids.

Now, on to the question at hand. In AR, I believe that it is a felony if a parent is behind $2500 in support. So, if a parent is behind, consult a lawyer to see what is available. Don't let em fool you, because there are several avenues available. DHS may or may not do anything. IF they get an amount to cover the arrears, then be happy with what you get. In the end, it will be paid and has to, as his social security or retirement can be garnished. Secondly, file contempt of court papers against him. This way, it skips the DHS BS and goes to a judge, who can immediately garnish up to a certain percent (in some states 50%)-I think, of his/her pay until they are current.

Thirdly, stop depending solely on this as a major source of you income. Too many women look at it like that is "their money" or what is owed them. However, child support was ideally created to provide the basic necessities for the child because of a divorce (food, clothing, miscellaneous expenses, medicines, toys, etc). What gets the whole system f'ed up is when people depend upon it as a source of their income or "what have you done lately". If a father or parent is paying it to the best of their ability and also provides a separate room for the child (if remarried), clothes, school supplies, co-pays on medical bills, etc then take into account his own bills and what he has to do to make a living and provide for the basic necessities. In other words, don't hang him because he can't pay right away because you are dependent upon him, as you got divorced and have a moral obligation yourself to provide and the child support is just extra. Many men get pissed off about it simply because they view it as they are paying you or held ransom simply because they have a debt that strains their budget, especially when they do provide for the child both when they are with you and when they are with them. Some flexibility should be allowed to those that do this.

So, imo, if you want to put the child first, then don't be solely dependent on this as a source of income, but use it as a supplement to help provide better for the child.
wondering

Gregory, AR

#13 Jan 6, 2009
thanks for all your help... he has not paid anyhting and has never. but I have gotten a paper faxed over from dhs to child support emforcment in jb. i am just waiting to get a case started.

Level 1

Since: Aug 08

Paragould, Arkansas

#14 Jan 6, 2009
bsweet wrote:
I think he still should be able to see the kids don't put them in the battle of support, let the courts take care of that.
Not sure how it works here but in TN they get put in jail.
Child Support has nothing to do with visitation rights, they are two seperate issues.

The person that is behind on their support payments (man or woman) will have to appear in court if the parent who has custody of the child/children goes back to the courts (Andy Faulkerson is the attorney that handles this for Greene County). If the judge then so orders, they will be given the chance to make arrangements to pay both the back and current support, or go to jail until the entire back amount owed is payed. If you make arrangements to pay, then fail to do so, you will go straight to jail and will not be released until the entire amount owed on the arrears is payed in full.

Level 1

Since: Aug 08

Paragould, Arkansas

#15 Jan 6, 2009
larry the cabe guy wrote:
i do believe they can pull his drivers license and he can go to jail. if he files taxes i think they can take that for child support.
All of these are possible in Arkansas.

Newport, AR

#16 Jan 6, 2009
wondering wrote:
If a father owe back pay child support and does not pay and still does nt pay. What can I do. What happens to him. And does he still have rights? Help please!
Arkansas law is you can not withhold visits because of non payment of child support.

Newport, AR

#17 Jan 6, 2009
umm wrote:
well my dad didn't pay for atleast 18 yrs or so and my mom is getting back child support on me. I'm 24 now. As far as i know though. Get ahold of the child support agency and they will search for his location. Then if you are still not receiving they are suppose to arrest him after so long. Anyone paying child support who gets a year behind or 1000 dollars behind has every right to have rights taken away from him last i was told.
you were told wrong research arkansas law. There are states that if you dont pay you dont see kids but ark is not one of them
Friend

United States

#18 Jan 7, 2009
wondering wrote:
Judges look more at you not letting the child see the father than they are on child support. I have went through a custody battle before. A man is supposed to pay his child support and if he gets a certain amount behind, he will go to jail, but keep yourself out of trouble, and let the kid go see him when ever he/she is supposed to go. Just a little word of advice. If you have anymore questions, let me know. I know a lot about the court system.
searching

Conway, AR

#19 Feb 3, 2009
Some dads who owe child support aren't telling the new wives everything in the history in it's entirity and truthfulness. They have had their liscenses and tags pulled and they drive anyway, they don't worry about it getting taken out of their taxes because they don't file, they won't work unless it is cash under the table or contract labor so garnishing of his fine tax free wages is not a concern...he continues to try to get women to marry him and his situation without being truthful about what they are marrying exactly. If a man has bills you marry them, debts..marry, and kids? Yes, they are part of it. It sounds so wicked stepmother like to actually not consider financial support for his first blood children because they came first and should come first always.
justme

United States

#20 Feb 3, 2009
Friend wrote:
<quoted text>Judges look more at you not letting the child see the father than they are on child support. I have went through a custody battle before. A man is supposed to pay his child support and if he gets a certain amount behind, he will go to jail, but keep yourself out of trouble, and let the kid go see him when ever he/she is supposed to go. Just a little word of advice. If you have anymore questions, let me know. I know a lot about the court system.
my husband has a child from a recent relationship n has been payin child support regularly n i was wantin to know if my husband has any legal rights to see the little girl if we havnt been to court over custody yet

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paragould Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 7 min Reality Check 37,285
Julie Harwell 3 hr FamilyandFriend 12
Terry Bass (Dec '13) 4 hr Nasty 10
larry hensley (Feb '14) 4 hr Do something 23
Skeletal Remains Found 4 hr No Bones About It 12
Escape nails (Nov '11) 4 hr user 15
Tv repair in Paragould 5 hr todd 3

Paragould Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance