Why no school resource officers?

Why no school resource officers?

Posted in the Paragould Forum

guest

Paragould, AR

#1 Dec 14, 2012
Why do Tech and Paragould schools not have resource officers? Marmaduke has one.I think after the events in Connecticut today the issue should be addressed.

“"I don't have a dirty mind, ”

Level 2

Since: Nov 10

Just a sexy imagination!"

#2 Dec 14, 2012
I think all schools should have one as well. The slaughter of 20 children under the age of 10 not including the educators there to teach them made me personally want a piece of the killers arse. I think that in cases of children victims the person who does the crime should be let loose like they did in the olden days and the community take their revenge on them. No mercy, lots of pain and plenty of the wrath that their crime brought. Jail is almost like an adult care facility. I watched many of the shows about jail where the convicts get out and recommit a crime because they have a roof over their heads,meals, medical , etc. Better than what they'd have on the streets. That is wrong when a criminal would rather do another crime to have the prison systems care for them than to try and be a better person and realize their mistake they were originally convicted of.
If they had the chit beat out of them for raping, stealing, killing and all kinds of messed up crimes, they may think that the decision to come back is not a comfortable option. jmo
Guest

Oklahoma City, OK

#3 Dec 14, 2012
I'm not sure what the job of a resource officer is but I do know that the police dept. has given in service training to all teachers in Tech and Paragould Schools so they would know what to do if something like this happened. However, no matter how much they are trained anyone can be caught off guard. The only way to keep our kids truly safe is to keep armed guards around and even they could be surprised. It's just one of those freak thing that evil people do when they allow the devil to take over their mind. Please pray for these families of these kids and the dad and brother of the shooter. The shame and horror they must feel to know a member of their family not only killed the mom and wife but also took the lives of innocent children. Pray for our nation and that Obama doesn't use this incident to take away our guns and leave us defenseless due to incidents like this. This horrible act will make many want to rid us of our guns. It's the mean person behind the gun that kills. I'm still in shock as I know so many are. May God have mercy on our nation.
Guest

Oklahoma City, OK

#4 Dec 14, 2012
I think all teachers should be armed and be taught to be ace shooters. They should wear a gun at the ready. This might deter some shooters. When they get into a school it's like shooting fish in a barrel with no one to stop them. Usually they end up shooting themselves. Times have changed and so must our methods of taking care of our kids.
guest

Paragould, AR

#5 Dec 14, 2012
Guest wrote:
Pray for our nation and that Obama doesn't use this incident to take away our guns and leave us defenseless due to incidents like this. This horrible act will make many want to rid us of our guns. It's the mean person behind the gun that kills. I'm still in shock as I know so many are. May God have mercy on our nation.
More guns is the answer? We are already the most armed nation in the world. And guess what? We also have the most gun violence. So more guns is the answer?

“Hear No, Speak No, See No ”

Level 4

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#6 Dec 14, 2012
I am in agreement as far as keeping my gung. I hunt to provide food for families that really need the meat due to this economy being like it is and it supplements my family as well. I also use it to control unwanted and sometimes sickly animals from getting into my property only to destroy the hard work that I did to have fresh vegetables to can for the winter. Lastly I have my guns to ensure that any person that feels brave enough to cross my property line to do me or my family harm will feel the hot bullet that will come from my gun to firmly explain that they are not welcome.Anyone that wants to take that right away will have a hard time for me to even understand. Being a responsible firearm owner ensures the many livelihoods I depend on for my family to survive and thrive.
My prayers go out to the people in CT that lost family members, especially the children. People with firearms like this should never even see any guns like the ones he had.There has to be a better way than all or nothing.

“Hear No, Speak No, See No ”

Level 4

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#7 Dec 14, 2012
Keeping my gun, not gung. Sorry for the spelling mistake.
Guest

Oklahoma City, OK

#8 Dec 14, 2012
monkey_trouble wrote:
I am in agreement as far as keeping my gung. I hunt to provide food for families that really need the meat due to this economy being like it is and it supplements my family as well. I also use it to control unwanted and sometimes sickly animals from getting into my property only to destroy the hard work that I did to have fresh vegetables to can for the winter. Lastly I have my guns to ensure that any person that feels brave enough to cross my property line to do me or my family harm will feel the hot bullet that will come from my gun to firmly explain that they are not welcome.Anyone that wants to take that right away will have a hard time for me to even understand. Being a responsible firearm owner ensures the many livelihoods I depend on for my family to survive and thrive.
My prayers go out to the people in CT that lost family members, especially the children. People with firearms like this should never even see any guns like the ones he had.There has to be a better way than all or nothing.
I agree wholeheartedly with you but you know the knee jerk reaction many have to situations like this. Many of these don't own a gun because they fear them so when something like this happens they cry," Grab the guns !" However, if we aren't watchful the few will rule the majority on the gun issue. This is an agenda of many of the left. It has been ever since the Brady tragedy and with every shooting incident like today's the fervor is fed to succeed in gun control. You just watch.
But now let us pray for these poor, poor families.
Wondering

Oklahoma City, OK

#9 Dec 14, 2012
What is the duty of a school resource officer?
Wondering

Oklahoma City, OK

#10 Dec 14, 2012
guest wrote:
Why do Tech and Paragould schools not have resource officers? Marmaduke has one.I think after the events in Connecticut today the issue should be addressed.
How do you think a resource officer would help?
Teachers can't defend their students. All they can do is duck and hide. I would venture to say most administrators don't keep a gun at school and if they do how proficient are they with it? They must all have felt shock, fear, then helpless.
Pro SRO

United States

#11 Dec 14, 2012
SRO- help promote positive relationships among students and law enforcement agencies. They serve as a role models, educate students, and their presence on campus's often serves as a deterrent for delinquent behaviors. They can also aid in decreasing the response time in emergency situations. I can't think of one reason why I wouldn't want a SRO on my child's campus.
Guest

Oklahoma City, OK

#12 Dec 14, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
More guns is the answer? We are already the most armed nation in the world. And guess what? We also have the most gun violence. So more guns is the answer?
Apparently we don't have enough or the right people would be armed and trained to stop something like this school shooting.
Guest

Oklahoma City, OK

#13 Dec 14, 2012
Pro SRO wrote:
SRO- help promote positive relationships among students and law enforcement agencies. They serve as a role models, educate students, and their presence on campus's often serves as a deterrent for delinquent behaviors. They can also aid in decreasing the response time in emergency situations. I can't think of one reason why I wouldn't want a SRO on my child's campus.
SRO sounds like a good idea but do you think he would stop a shooter? Is he armed?
Guest

Oklahoma City, OK

#14 Dec 14, 2012
What if that SRO is shot? Then what? What is the next line of defense?
guest

Paragould, AR

#15 Dec 14, 2012
Taking guns away from law abiding citizens is ignorant.
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
More guns is the answer? We are already the most armed nation in the world. And guess what? We also have the most gun violence. So more guns is the answer?
teacher

Oklahoma City, OK

#16 Dec 14, 2012
Not all teachers in the districts were allied to be present at the professional development. It occurred two years ago and wasn't for all staff members. SROs being present would be a wonderful asset to both Paragould and GCT districts...if only there were funding available!
Pro SRO

United States

#17 Dec 14, 2012
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>SRO sounds like a good idea but do you think he would stop a shooter? Is he armed?
SRO's are armed, from what I have seen in other schools. I am not trying to say that a SRO could have prevented today's tragedy. I just think all schools should consider this as an option. If you see a police officer patrolling the highway, likely you will reduce your speed and drive cautiously (this is at least true for myself). A SRO could work in the same way, decreasing delinquent behavior within the school and during extra curricular activities (ball games, school dances, etc...).
Guest

Oklahoma City, OK

#18 Dec 14, 2012
It would cost to much money.

But an armed guard at all schools would be a great deterant.

Not all teachers would even want to be armed. But if a few that would get well trained. That would be great to!!!
Guest

Oklahoma City, OK

#19 Dec 14, 2012
The entire school situation needs to be reviewed and more secure measures, fully thought out and tried, put in place. I don't see how our teachers and administration can be passive in safeguarding our children. When I say passive I mean without a weapon and totally defensive. You can have several defenses such as guards but the last line of defense is the teacher.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paragould Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Life Stratagies 1 hr Wondering 5
Red haired Sharon Brewer 1 hr Guest 9
Car issues please help. 1 hr Wondering 13
joe thompson 1 hr sister 11
elvis cooper 1 hr hit 1
Jamie Martin 2 hr Just Me 2
Does Leviticus condemn gays? No! 2 hr SnuffAGlobaist 91
Messages from a Baptist pastor to you! 7 hr ThirdAngel 31
Ashley Madison site 14 hr Guest 42
how to pass hair follicle test in 3 hours (Feb '12) Mon Danadane 736
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Paragould Mortgages